Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a cast iron skillet and lard. god help me... I'm also planning to make jerk pork for the holiday weekend because I score a pork loin on sale for 1.99 / lb. the recipe is time consuming but it is so good - I made it several years ago and still remember.
The Ultimate Jerk Pork Recipe.

My mum was an ‘outback bush cook’ when she was young and she taught me the traditional baked dinner, long and low.
Leg of lamb in the oven for 5-7 hours, add potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots and bake the lot together. Wow oh wow, the gravy the lamb creates is astonishing!
Love from Australia.

This thread is making me hungry now! All sounds delicious. :)

It was really good. I forgot to mention that I also doubled the amount of rice and the rice ended up absorbing all the broth in the leftovers. It ended up like a Greek Congee (LOL) but was still tasty with all the veggies and chick peas mixed in. If I made it again I would make the rice and soup separately and serve the soup over the rice so that the rice holds its texture for eating. I believe the traditional version uses Orzo pasta, which would hold it's rice shape better due to being made of wheat. But I chose this version with rice to make because it's naturally gluten free. It has lasted us for leftovers for couple days. There was about half a scoop left last night that I was too full to eat but I didn't want to throw out. So I saved it in the fridge and this morning I had the last little bit of it for breakfast with a fried egg on top. My grandmother, who lived through the Great Depression, would have been so proud. She never threw out even a bite or two of food. I think I'm becoming like her as I try to stretch our food so that I can stay home longer between trips to the store. :)

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good idea, and I will make it that way. I've had the Greek lemon and rice soup in restaurants but none had the veggies - just broth, rice, and lemony flavor. One of our favorite carryout restaurants (Honey Tree Grille) is somewhat Greek-themed, and the lemon rice soup comes with dinner entrees. I don't order dinners because it's too much food, but there's enough soup to share. I mostly get a lavash wrap sandwich that comes with their homemade chips.

DH needed his staples (orange juice, half & half, cereal) and made a quick trip to Meijer yesterday. He got celery so I can make the Greek stew this week. We also needed an ink cartridge for our printer, and DH found a 16 oz. bottle of no-brand hand sanitizer :)

Last edited:
After getting my truck out of the shop yesterday, I drove straight to Olive Garden to pick up takeout. I did not know they had a buy one, take one deal.

I ordered the chicken parmesan that comes with spaghetti and the salad. You could pick another meal that was cooked but cold at no extra cost. My bill came to $13.90! I rounded it up to $19 but still. I ate the chicken and some pasta it came with for dinner last night.

This morning, I had the salad for breakfast - I know, I know, strange. I eat whatever, whenever because of the nausea. My extra dish was cheese ravioli with marinara. That was lunch. Three meals!!

I went all out for dinner - handful of Frito Corn Chips & a tiny Diet Pepsi while sitting on the beach at sunset.

Attachments

• 445545AD-78C8-4BDB-BF2F-18F9EBC9E059.jpeg
    445545AD-78C8-4BDB-BF2F-18F9EBC9E059.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 16
Cut the middle man: Restaurants plead with customers to abandon delivery apps

One restaurateur gives each bag a personal touch, printing out a small note with a simple message: Grubhub orders are killing his business.

When Pitas and Sticks, a Greek restaurant in Brooklyn, New York, gets an order from Grubhub, owner John Stamos gives each bag a personal touch, printing out a small note with a simple message: Grubhub orders are killing his business.

"Small businesses like us need your support in this time of crisis," Stamos writes in each note. "Online apps such as GRUBHUB ARE CHARGING US 30% of each order and $9 or more on orders made using phone numbers on their app or website … please help save the restaurant industry by ordering directly with us."...

My regular produce pickup today was a lot more cucumbers than I could possibly eat! They must be in season. I’m also allergic to watermelon. My friends are taking one. Hopefully, my youngest will eat the other one. At least they’re small! Lots of corn on the cob and zucchini too.

If you keep getting more cucumbers than you can eat, you can always make refrigerator pickles with them. I've used many different pickle recipes throughout the years. These look good: Kittencal's Easy Refrigerator Kosher Garlic-Dill Pickles Recipe - Food.com

I hope to have enough cucumbers from my garden this year to water bath can some pickles. But if I only have a few I will do some jars of refrigerator pickles.

Whenever I have excess zucchini it gets shredded and frozen to use for zucchini bread or zucchini pancakes later. Same with the sweet corn, although we can usually eat that fresh before I resort to freezing it. :D

Lunch today was cucumber-tomato salad with kale: Chopped Tomato Cucumber Kale Salad

For dinner I'm planning to make flounder florentine: Sole Florentine Recipe - Food.com
I'll use brown rice flour for the dredging to make it gluten free. Planning to serve it with leftover salad from lunch.
Ooh, I'd forgotten about fish Florentine! I love spinach!

I ordered some mahi mahi from Schwan's and it turned out to be a good purchase. The filets came frozen and vacuum wrapped and smelled and felt very fresh when we thawed them. For some reason our local fish store doesn't stock mahi, at least we've never seen them. Fresh Halibut yes but I was hankering for some mahi mahi. We ate it all the time in Florida.

Hubby did a dry crust of pecans and bread crumbs and baked them. Delicious! Some recipes use either a traditional flour/egg dredge or else mayo to help the pecan mix stay better but he passed on it to save some calories and it worked fine.

I'm going for Florentine next!

If you keep getting more cucumbers than you can eat, you can always make refrigerator pickles with them. I've used many different pickle recipes throughout the years. These look good: Kittencal's Easy Refrigerator Kosher Garlic-Dill Pickles Recipe - Food.com

I hope to have enough cucumbers from my garden this year to water bath can some pickles. But if I only have a few I will do some jars of refrigerator pickles.

Whenever I have excess zucchini it gets shredded and frozen to use for zucchini bread or zucchini pancakes later. Same with the sweet corn, although we can usually eat that fresh before I resort to freezing it. :D
I’ve never made pickles. The recipe calls for small cucumbers. I’m thinking I could do this with these big cucumbers but remove the seeds, cut into short spears and then put in the jars.

I wish the thrift stores were open so I could go find some jars. I need to send my oldest on a mission. She does things in jars a lot. I am enjoying using my stimulus check to get inexpensive items that improve my quality of life. Like these jars and then I’d have to buy lids/rings. I got some extra freezer containers too.

I grated up some zucchini in 2 cup portions for my bread recipe. I also looked up how to do slices for freezing that can be added to soup.

Today was treatment day so lots of resting & naps. Tomorrow I’ll feel better and maybe can food prep. I am going to look up cream corn recipes now. I’m the only one who likes it. Yum!

I’ve never made pickles. The recipe calls for small cucumbers. I’m thinking I could do this with these big cucumbers but remove the seeds, cut into short spears and then put in the jars.

I wish the thrift stores were open so I could go find some jars. I need to send my oldest on a mission. She does things in jars a lot. I am enjoying using my stimulus check to get inexpensive items that improve my quality of life. Like these jars and then I’d have to buy lids/rings. I got some extra freezer containers too.

I grated up some zucchini in 2 cup portions for my bread recipe. I also looked up how to do slices for freezing that can be added to soup.

Today was treatment day so lots of resting & naps. Tomorrow I’ll feel better and maybe can food prep. I am going to look up cream corn recipes now. I’m the only one who likes it. Yum!

I think spears sounds like a great idea. That should work with any pickle recipe too. I've used regular sized cucumbers for pickles before and didn't bother seeding them though. One thing about homemade pickles is they will not really be the same texture as store bought. It's hard to describe until you try them but I think homemade tastes so much better. Also, you don't need to use canning jars for the refrigerator pickle recipe I linked. You can use any glass jar with a lid because you are storing them in the fridge (not canning). I've recycled pickle jars from store bought pickles or spaghetti sauce jars when I didn't have any extra canning jars for refrigerator pickles. Of course, canning jars and freezer containers are a wise investment too. :)

I don't know about creamed corn recipes but I make a corn pudding that is similar to this recipe:
Grandma's Corn Pudding
It would probably work to use the fresh corn in place of the canned whole kernel corn. Yum.

MOO :)

I think spears sounds like a great idea. That should work with any pickle recipe too. I've used regular sized cucumbers for pickles before and didn't bother seeding them though. One thing about homemade pickles is they will not really be the same texture as store bought. It's hard to describe until you try them but I think homemade tastes so much better. Also, you don't need to use canning jars for the refrigerator pickle recipe I linked. You can use any glass jar with a lid because you are storing them in the fridge (not canning). I've recycled pickle jars from store bought pickles or spaghetti sauce jars when I didn't have any extra canning jars for refrigerator pickles. Of course, canning jars and freezer containers are a wise investment too. :)

I don't know about creamed corn recipes but I make a corn pudding that is similar to this recipe:
Grandma's Corn Pudding
It would probably work to use the fresh corn in place of the canned whole kernel corn. Yum.

MOO :)

DH made asparagus risotto on Wednesday, but I decided to make Gardener1850's Greek chick pea, spinach, and rice stew yesterday anyway. No more starchy veggies for a few days :D When DH finished work yesterday, he went outdoors to cut the lawn. I started the Avgolomono, and it was simmering on the stove when DH came in for water and a break before trimming and cleanup. He said, "That smells wonderful!" I tasted it a few times to check for seasoning, and DH deemed it delicious when we sat down to eat. I used chicken stock but still consider this a meatless meal that I will add to my vegetarian repertoire. It's a keeper :)

I hope everyone is enjoying a relaxing holiday weekend. It's not a typical Memorial Day for most of us, to be sure, but I hope you were able to make the most of it.

I made Ratatouille on Friday. Eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, orange pepper, Roma tomatoes - everything cut in bite size pieces - salt, pepper, fresh rosemary and thyme, Parmesan cheese. Tossed the veggies with olive oil, salt, pepper, and the fresh herbs. Spread veggies on baking sheet and roast at 375* for 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on Ratatouille before serving. It was a perfect accompaniment for lamb burgers with Feta and rosemary.

Yesterday we had grilled sockeye salmon topped with fresh pesto: Basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, walnuts, Parmesan cheese. I made enough to last several weeks. Finished the last of the 2.5# package of Costco asparagus.

Tonight we are having filet mignons from whole beef tenderloin on special at Salvaggio's a few weeks ago. Baked potatoes and broccoli. Bon Appetit!

Last edited:
i have a cast iron skillet and lard. god help me... I'm also planning to make jerk pork for the holiday weekend because I score a pork loin on sale for 1.99 / lb. the recipe is time consuming but it is so good - I made it several years ago and still remember.
The Ultimate Jerk Pork Recipe.
I made The Ultimate Jerk Pork Recipe today. Oh my, it was wonderful! It was very moist. I only cooked half of a pork loin because it was only me and hubby. We still have leftovers for tomorrow evening. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

I made The Ultimate Jerk Pork Recipe today. Oh my, it was wonderful! It was very moist. I only cooked half of a pork loin because it was only me and hubby. We still have leftovers for tomorrow evening. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
I grilled mine today too ! It was so yummy I use charcoal and I also made my moms banana bread with the bananas we didn’t use for smoothies this week !

Attachments

• A8F8C1DD-AA88-4661-9B76-9BBE3C7FD0E5.jpeg
    A8F8C1DD-AA88-4661-9B76-9BBE3C7FD0E5.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 26
  • D5DE0A78-D817-44AD-92CD-F05AC9DDF6D6.jpeg
    D5DE0A78-D817-44AD-92CD-F05AC9DDF6D6.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 27
  • DE63B9B8-748E-49BD-8BEA-232B59A9350E.jpeg
    DE63B9B8-748E-49BD-8BEA-232B59A9350E.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 3FA80377-4216-4E11-B340-A68004B35B9F.jpeg
    3FA80377-4216-4E11-B340-A68004B35B9F.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 29
  • A7E18A2F-491D-4B71-B3F2-D1BB402C9851.jpeg
    A7E18A2F-491D-4B71-B3F2-D1BB402C9851.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 22
I got all the stuff for my refrigerator pickles! I even bought medium size jars with rings and lids. 12 for $12? Not too bad. I already washed the jars, lids and rings. My oldest kid used 2 of them today. She tried to make blueberry preserves? It’s more like blueberry syrup. Perfect for waffles tho!

I still have like 6 big cucumbers. My youngest kid is out there making some Greek salad thing with tomatoes, cucumber, olives, etc. and it smells good. I want to make tzatziki sauce. I don’t know how to use the food processor so this should be interesting.

I may grill some chicken too. Depends on the weather. I want a chicken wrap with lettuce, tomato and tzatziki sauce.

Today’s food prep was rice which I suck at making, roasted yellow squash and zucchini, roasted rosemary potatoes, a small marinated steak in the tiny crock pot and chocolate cream pie.

Now we wait 7 days..... LOL! I was able to cut the cucumbers in to 1/3 because if I had cut it in 1/2, they wouldn’t fit in the jars. I now have 5 jars in the fridge. I did remove some seeds that were big. There are spears all round the jar and then chunks on top.

The recipe doesn't tell you how much garlic, dill or peppercorns to put in each jar. I put a pinch of chopped dill, 2 peppercorns, 2 chunks of garlic on top of the spears. Then I added the chunks, filled the jars with the brine and topped each jar with 2 more peppercorns, a few more chunks of garlic and a tad more dill.

I still have 2 big cucumbers for my tzatiki sauce. After I rest and have a piece of pie I may tackle that.

Attachments

• 1B914072-65FF-4C5C-8C0A-E94F8D7771B2.jpeg
    1B914072-65FF-4C5C-8C0A-E94F8D7771B2.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 21
  • A25D15A6-9B27-4224-950A-2A71ADF71CA4.jpeg
    A25D15A6-9B27-4224-950A-2A71ADF71CA4.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 19
I made

Tarragon Chicken

Four large chicken breasts sliced like cutlets.
One med. Onion chopped tiny.
1/4 cup fresh Tarragon chopped tiny.
1/4 cup chick broth
1/2 cup Marsala wine / dry sherry
I lemon zested and chopped
2 tbs lemon juice
4 tbs sour cream / add more to taste

2 tbs olive oil
I tbs butter

Salt and fresh ground pepper
Cook onion and Tarragon until soft.
Remove from skillet
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Cook chicken in skillet with a little butter and oil.
Add everything else and simmer 20 mins.
Add sour cream.
I served it with small potatoes, and green beans from my container garden. I grew the Tarragon too. Also good with Angel hair pasta and veg.
Yum.
Tarragon and basil are my favorite herbs.

I've got a kale frittata in the oven for dinner. I didn't really follow a recipe. I whisked up 6 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of half and half, 4 Tablespoons of GF flour with a pinch of pepper, 1/2 teas salt and 1/2 teas garlic powder. Then I chopped up some kale, green onion, and fresh dill and placed the veggies in a greased deep casserole dish. Then I decided to add some shredded carrot to the veggie mix after checking my produce drawer. Then I topped the veggies with freshly shredded mozzarella cheese and poured the egg mixture over it all. I'm baking in a 35o degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the eggs are set. I make frittata or quiche quite often with whatever veggies I happen to have on hand. It's one of my go-to recipes when I can't decide what to make for dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez