Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a FB friend who is on a serious diet. She eliminated all snacks, sugar, flour, any item not on her new Paleo diet.

Not that I don't support goals, healthy eating habits and all that.

Perhaps, that makes her feel like she has control over something in her life right now.

I love Tostadas Mexicanas. So easy and tasty.
A tostada is a crispy fried corn tortilla, topped with refried beans, shredded chicken or ham; shrimp, fish, or any other protein you may like. Ok I personally don’t like beef on it. It’s just.... no.
Ok, atop of it, shredded lettuce, cheese, onion, red tomato, avocado, crema, and at least two types of salsa. I like tomato salsa (just boil some red tomato; peel them off and blender it adding some salt, garlic, oregano, and pickled jalapeño chile that you can buy in any supermarket) and green salsa (peeled, boiled green tomatillo, pureed along with some salt and pepper, fresh green chile, onion and some cilantro).
You eat it using your hands. It may break so you have to use your thumb and pointing finger to hold it and your other three fingers under it to support it.

They are so good, and fresh. Hope you guys like it

Attachments

• 297756AA-52FD-432A-ADEF-481426B329D5.jpeg
    297756AA-52FD-432A-ADEF-481426B329D5.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 17
I love Tostadas Mexicanas. So easy and tasty.
A tostada is a crispy fried corn tortilla, topped with refried beans, shredded chicken or ham; shrimp, fish, or any other protein you may like. Ok I personally don’t like beef on it. It’s just.... no.
Ok, atop of it, shredded lettuce, cheese, onion, red tomato, avocado, crema, and at least two types of salsa. I like tomato salsa (just boil some red tomato; peel them off and blender it adding some salt, garlic, oregano, and pickled jalapeño chile that you can buy in any supermarket) and green salsa (peeled, boiled green tomatillo, pureed along with some salt and pepper, fresh green chile, onion and some cilantro).
You eat it using your hands. It may break so you have to use your thumb and pointing finger to hold it and your other three fingers under it to support it.

They are so good, and fresh. Hope you guys like it
That looks so good but I find I end up using both my hands and even then I get tostada all over me whenever I have one:p They are so worth it though!

We have been getting take out 2 or 3 times a week. Supporting small, local restaurants. No chains.

Our house is stocked up, but I have little to no desire for cooking. Although, last night I made shortcake. We had fresh raspberry shortcake for dinner.

Thank you for doing this. Going forward, it's going to be imperative for everyone to support small businesses like restaurants, hair/nail salons, etc. It has been reported that many Michigan small businesses have already decided to close permanently because there is little hope that they will thrive again. There are also no guarantees that businesses that do reopen will necessarily thrive. DH and I tend to think that businesses that were doing well prior to the shut-down will have better luck at recovering than those that were struggling to stay afloat. Time will tell...

Last edited:
@BetteDavisEyes I agree with supporting small businesses, to a point.

But right now, I refuse to go to a salon for my hair or nails. I am not comfortable doing that, maybe even never again. And I am not going to pay for a gym membership any longer. If those folks go out of business, that is the downside of owning your own business.

I am fortunate to have a job, today. Honestly, I am not sure what that will look like in 6 months. Things are not getting better in this economy.

I bought Mason jars intending to make preserved lemons that I had seen on Barefoot Contessa. I also remember having preserved lemons in tagine at a Moroccan restaurant. I love lemons! Above posts about lemons/lemon juice have inspired me. Maybe I'll finally get around to this project :D

Quoting myself to let you know that I made the preserved lemons today. DH bought a bag of Meyer lemons at Salvaggio's for this purpose. I used Melissa D'Arabian's recipe, but I did not add peppercorns or cinnamon sticks. The Meyer lemons are very fragrant and look pretty in the glass jar. It was actually a quick and easy process, and I hope the preserved lemons turn out nicely.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish...e-to-make-preserved-lemons-heres-how-to-do-it

Dinner tonight is Greek Avgolemono Soup: Greek Avgolemono Stew Recipe - Food.com

I used homemade chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, added some oregano, a teaspoon of minced garlic, celery leaves along with the stalk, and dried chickpeas instead of canned. I used my instant pot to cook the chickpeas without soaking: Instant Pot Chickpeas (No Soaking Required!)

This would have been great with some chicken added to it but I really didn't miss the meat. The eggs and chickpeas provided enough protein for us.

@BetteDavisEyes I agree with supporting small businesses, to a point.

But right now, I refuse to go to a salon for my hair or nails. I am not comfortable doing that, maybe even never again. And I am not going to pay for a gym membership any longer. If those folks go out of business, that is the downside of owning your own business.

I am fortunate to have a job, today. Honestly, I am not sure what that will look like in 6 months. Things are not getting better in this economy.

I understand your concern, but I don't think I could go without a professional haircut, manicure, and pedicure every 6 weeks or so. I don't do haircoloring, my hair is shoulder-length - no bangs or layering and can be pulled back into a pony tail. No fancy nail treatments - short, no polish. I am so looking forward to getting a nice haircut, mani, and pedi. I'm sure these services will lift my spirits and help me feel human again :) I'm confident that our hair and nail salons will make every effort to keep clients safe.

I suspended my gym membership almost two years ago. DH is now the primary member, so if I decide to return, it won't be a problem for me to reinstate my membership without a registration fee. DH mostly uses the aquatic facilities and is anxious to get back to swimming a few days a week. If I decide to return, it won't be until after I've completely physical therapy for bursitis in my right hip. I had 4 sessions prior to the virus shut-down, but my physician prescribed 2 sessions weekly for 8-12 weeks. I've continued my exercises/stretches at home but have a long way to go before I can walk, ride my bike, etc. without discomfort. I won't even consider renewing my gym membership until I'm released from PT.

Last edited:
Dinner tonight is Greek Avgolemono Soup: Greek Avgolemono Stew Recipe - Food.com

I used homemade chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, added some oregano, a teaspoon of minced garlic, celery leaves along with the stalk, and dried chickpeas instead of canned. I used my instant pot to cook the chickpeas without soaking: Instant Pot Chickpeas (No Soaking Required!)

This would have been great with some chicken added to it but I really didn't miss the meat. The eggs and chickpeas provided enough protein for us.
That sounds really good!

That sounds really good!

It was really good. I forgot to mention that I also doubled the amount of rice and the rice ended up absorbing all the broth in the leftovers. It ended up like a Greek Congee (LOL) but was still tasty with all the veggies and chick peas mixed in. If I made it again I would make the rice and soup separately and serve the soup over the rice so that the rice holds its texture for eating. I believe the traditional version uses Orzo pasta, which would hold it's rice shape better due to being made of wheat. But I chose this version with rice to make because it's naturally gluten free. It has lasted us for leftovers for couple days. There was about half a scoop left last night that I was too full to eat but I didn't want to throw out. So I saved it in the fridge and this morning I had the last little bit of it for breakfast with a fried egg on top. My grandmother, who lived through the Great Depression, would have been so proud. She never threw out even a bite or two of food. I think I'm becoming like her as I try to stretch our food so that I can stay home longer between trips to the store. :)

It was really good. I forgot to mention that I also doubled the amount of rice and the rice ended up absorbing all the broth in the leftovers. It ended up like a Greek Congee (LOL) but was still tasty with all the veggies and chick peas mixed in. If I made it again I would make the rice and soup separately and serve the soup over the rice so that the rice holds its texture for eating. I believe the traditional version uses Orzo pasta, which would hold it's rice shape better due to being made of wheat. But I chose this version with rice to make because it's naturally gluten free. It has lasted us for leftovers for couple days. There was about half a scoop left last night that I was too full to eat but I didn't want to throw out. So I saved it in the fridge and this morning I had the last little bit of it for breakfast with a fried egg on top. My grandmother, who lived through the Great Depression, would have been so proud. She never threw out even a bite or two of food. I think I'm becoming like her as I try to stretch our food so that I can stay home longer between trips to the store. :)
That happens to me too - I've been making them separately (noodles too when I do chicken soup). I need ot make something with all these chicken leg quarters in my freezer - it isn't our favorite but it was the only thing I could find for weeks -hmmmm

That happens to me too - I've been making them separately (noodles too when I do chicken soup). I need ot make something with all these chicken leg quarters in my freezer - it isn't our favorite but it was the only thing I could find for weeks -hmmmm

I usually keep it simple and roast chicken leg quarters in a 425 degree oven after drizzling with olive oil and rubbing with whatever seasonings I have. Similar to this recipe: How to Make Tasty Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters With Garlic

Or, less frequently, I will separate the quarters at the joints and make fried chicken. I don't really have a recipe for fried chicken but I do a simple dip in scrabbled egg with a few tablespoons of milk, dip in seasoned flour (whatever Gluten Free flour I happen to have), back in egg and then in the flour again. Then I fry the chicken pieces one at a time in hot oil on the stove top until golden brown on all sides and the chicken juices run clear.

I usually keep it simple and roast chicken leg quarters in a 425 degree oven after drizzling with olive oil and rubbing with whatever seasonings I have. Similar to this recipe: How to Make Tasty Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters With Garlic

Or, less frequently, I will separate the quarters at the joints and make fried chicken. I don't really have a recipe for fried chicken but I do a simple dip in scrabbled egg with a few tablespoons of milk milk, dip in seasoned flour (whatever Gluten Free flour I happen to have), back in egg and then in the flour again. Then I fry the chicken pieces one at a time in hot oil on the stove top until golden brown on all sides and the chicken juices run clear.
I love the idea of baked - we've recently tried our own wings at 425 and love them. Myself, I could eat fried chicken all day -my mom and grandma (her mother) made the best sunday fried chicken ever - I may splurge and do one of each - thank you

I love the idea of baked - we've recently tried our own wings at 425 and love them. Myself, I could eat fried chicken all day -my mom and grandma (her mother) made the best sunday fried chicken ever - I may splurge and do one of each - thank you

You're welcome. Fried chicken is delicious. I don't do it very often for health reasons and also because it's labor intensive staying by the stove to fry each individual piece. I'm more of a throw-things-in-a-pot-or-in-the-oven-and-walk-away-to-do-something-else cook, LOL. But it's a great treat when I do make it. I hope your chicken turns out as good as your mom and grandmas. :)

In Australia we are coming into winter and we have the slow combustion fire simmering away, so I’ve thrown some potato’s wrapped in foil and out with the canned stews, cheese, sour cream, chives and whatever I can lay my hands on. It’s been like a campfire inside the house!

Mushrooms, onions, peppers, garlic, rice and herbs into a pan and into the coals with the door open and the sounds and smells of it cooking are somehow more entertaining than in a kitchen on a gas hot plate.
I might try pizza in this new pizza oven!! :)

Maybe I’ve got cabin fever and gone loopy. :D

You're welcome. Fried chicken is delicious. I don't do it very often for health reasons and also because it's labor intensive staying by the stove to fry each individual piece. I'm more of a throw-things-in-a-pot-or-in-the-oven-and-walk-away-to-do-something-else cook, LOL. But it's a great treat when I do make it. I hope your chicken turns out as good as your mom and grandmas. :)
i have a cast iron skillet and lard. god help me... I'm also planning to make jerk pork for the holiday weekend because I score a pork loin on sale for 1.99 / lb. the recipe is time consuming but it is so good - I made it several years ago and still remember.
The Ultimate Jerk Pork Recipe.

My mum was an ‘outback bush cook’ when she was young and she taught me the traditional baked dinner, long and low.
Leg of lamb in the oven for 5-7 hours, add potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots and bake the lot together. Wow oh wow, the gravy the lamb creates is astonishing!
Love from Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member