Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local groceries are limiting meat purchases so we will buy what we are allowed and vacuum seal it and start spacing meat dinners out. We can always eat eggs for protein, so many eggs.

Our local groceries are limiting meat purchases so we will buy what we are allowed and vacuum seal it and start spacing meat dinners out. We can always eat eggs for protein, so many eggs.
My friend went to the mass food handout today at the stadium (SWFL). They had 9 huge trucks of food. The one thing she wanted was eggs. They didn't have any. They did give her a nice sized marinated pork loin though! The county is handing out a box of mixed produce, a box of staples and a gallon of milk. She even got snacks from Southwest Airlines! Next weekend is the one in my area. After seeing what they gave her, I know it will help my budget so very much!

We tried this once, and the frickin' chicken refused to "sit" on the beer can :D Most of the beer ended up on the coals and made a mess of the grill.

Besides plain grilled chicken breasts, this is a recipe that we really enjoy. We have the butcher butterfly a whole chicken, and we keep it flattened on the grill with a brick covered in foil. It's delicious!

Tuscan Lemon Chicken | Barefoot Contessa
This sounds like a keeper for me! I have rosemary growing in the yard and have lemons. I may use chicken parts as that's what we have at the moment. Thanks!

This sounds like a keeper for me! I have rosemary growing in the yard and have lemons. I may use chicken parts as that's what we have at the moment. Thanks!

Besides the Tuscan Chicken that we do on the grill, I also like Ina Garten's roast chicken recipe. Put sliced lemon wedges, several garlic cloves, thyme and rosemary sprigs, salt and pepper into cavity of 2-3# whole chicken. Season outside of chicken and baste with butter. Roast at 350* for an hour and 10-15 minutes until juices run dry. Delicious!

Last edited:
An abundance of yellow squash means squash casserole! I went down that rabbit hole of recipes trying to one the one that was most like what I used to make. I used it as a guide but essentially did my own thing.

Yellow squash washed, sliced and steamed until tender enough to pierce with a fork. If a few pieces are not quite as done, that is ok. I used 8 medium sized squash. Maybe 6 cups? Drain well.

Mix together then add to cooked squash:
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 can of milk
6 oz of sour cream
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers (1/2 a tube?)
Powdered spices: onion, garlic, pepper

On the top, add
1 tube of Ritz crackers, crushed
1 tablespoon melted butter drizzled on cracker crumbs

Bake 350 deg for 30 min until its hot & bubbly and the cracker crumbs begin to brown.

This is the closest I could find to my recipe from years ago. I improvise anyway so.....

Yellow Squash Casserole

Attachments

• C14DC884-80D4-4E15-8CBB-4F5823406134.jpeg
    C14DC884-80D4-4E15-8CBB-4F5823406134.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 19
An abundance of yellow squash means squash casserole! I went down that rabbit hole of recipes trying to one the one that was most like what I used to make. I used it as a guide but essentially did my own thing.

Yellow squash washed, sliced and steamed until tender enough to pierce with a fork. If a few pieces are not quite as done, that is ok. I used 8 medium sized squash. Maybe 6 cups? Drain well.

Mix together then add to cooked squash:
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 can of milk
6 oz of sour cream
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers (1/2 a tube?)
Powdered spices: onion, garlic, pepper

On the top, add
1 tube of Ritz crackers, crushed
1 tablespoon melted butter drizzled on cracker crumbs

Bake 350 deg for 30 min until its hot & bubbly and the cracker crumbs begin to brown.

This is the closest I could find to my recipe from years ago. I improvise anyway so.....

Yellow Squash Casserole
This looks really good! I will try it when I get some squash.

I made Khichdi (lentils and rice) in my Instant Pot for dinner tonight: Instant Pot Khichdi (Rice and Lentil Porridge) | My Heart Beets
I added garlic and ginger as suggested. I loved this but my DH said it was too bland. I playfully asked him if maybe he has corona and lost his sense of taste, but he was not amused-- he clarified for me that he could taste the seasonings just fine but he wanted more spice. I thought it was just right for flavor. Next time I'll give him some hot sauce. LOL. It's a very flexible recipe on seasonings and I will probably be trying out many different combinations over the course of this pandemic. We're low on meat but I have 4 bags of different color lentils in my freezer. :D

For dessert I made a carrot souffle that is not worth posting a recipe for. I needed to use up a bag of baby carrots and after scanning through several carrot recipes, that is what I settled on based on my pantry supplies. It tasted good when I sampled the batter- like either pumpkin pie or carrot cake flavor- but it didn't bake up right at all for a souffle. It was edible but the texture was all wrong. :oops:
We ate it anyway. At least my carrots were not wasted. :)

Last edited:

I heard that the price of eggs is going to skyrocket. But, who knows?

I have 23 ducks and 15 hens, all laying. I’m still giving away duck eggs to get them eaten. I’ve got a decent market for chicken eggs but everyone is afraid to eat duck eggs.
I've always heard duck eggs are the best eggs for baking a cake. Maybe other baking too but definitely the best for cake.

I love duck eggs. How far are you from central Indiana? :D
Many states away unfortunately. I’m in SE TX. I bet you could find duck eggs locally. Depending upon the demand in your area they’ll either be really cheap or quite expensive..lol. I’m a member of a FB group page and either people can’t give them away or they are getting a premium. Mine are pets, each one has a name, so even if I’m giving their eggs away they still bring me much joy.

I've always heard duck eggs are the best eggs for baking a cake. Maybe other baking too but definitely the best for cake.
Oh yes..but my waistline doesn’t need me to do any more baking. I’ve made cakes, ice cream, creme brûlée, Caesar dressing, scrambled, fried just to name a few ways we have made them. Started using my goose eggs too. I have made goose egg ice cream and goose egg carrot cake. Both were incredibly rich.

Many states away unfortunately. I’m in SE TX. I bet you could find duck eggs locally. Depending upon the demand in your area they’ll either be really cheap or quite expensive..lol. I’m a member of a FB group page and either people can’t give them away or they are getting a premium. Mine are pets, each one has a name, so even if I’m giving their eggs away they still bring me much joy.
I used to get duck eggs from someone I worked with when I lived in another part of the state. She sold her eggs to a bakery, and they would always buy as many as she had to sell.

There is a specialty store that sells them here “Epicurean Market” but they are priced way out of my COVID-furlough budget. Actually they didn’t fit into my pre-COVID-furlough budget either :D

DH and I had takeout for dinner last night, and I was wondering how many of you are doing carryout or having meals delivered? Before the pandemic, we probably had takeout 2 or 3 times a month and had dinner out about the same. Since we can't dine in our favorite restaurants, we feel that it is very important to support local businesses that are offering carryout and/or delivery. We've been alternating between Jet's Pizza and Honey Tree Grille, both of which are in strip malls at a busy intersection about 5 minutes from home. Our favorite dine-in restaurants are Mexican Village that is offering takeout on weekends, but it is too far to drive to pick up food, and Picano's (Italian) that has been closed during the pandemic. We look forward to having dinner at both of these restaurants once they reopen and can offer a safe dining environment for their patrons. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we can celebrate our 49th anniversary (June 25) with dinner at Picano's as we have done many times since they opened in January, 1985.

Mexican Food Utica | Family Restaurant | Mexican Village Restaurant

Italian Restaurant in Troy, MI | Picano’s Italian Grille

HONEY TREE GRILL

Pizza, Wings, and Salads | Jet's Pizza

Last edited:
DH and I had takeout for dinner last night, and I was wondering how many of you are doing carryout or having meals delivered? Before the pandemic, we probably had takeout 2 or 3 times a month and had dinner out about the same. Since we can't dine in our favorite restaurants, we feel that it is very important to support local businesses that are offering carryout and/or delivery. We've been alternating between Jet's Pizza and Honey Tree Grille, both of which are in strip malls at a busy intersection about 5 minutes from home. Our favorite dine-in restaurants are Mexican Village that is offering takeout on weekends, but it is too far to drive to pick up food, and Picano's (Italian) that has been closed during the pandemic. We look forward to having dinner at both of these restaurants once they reopen and can offer a safe dining environment for their patrons. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we can celebrate our 49th anniversary (June 25) with dinner at Picano's as we have done many times since they opened in January, 1985.

Mexican Food Utica | Family Restaurant | Mexican Village Restaurant

Italian Restaurant in Troy, MI | Picano’s Italian Grille

HONEY TREE GRILL

Pizza, Wings, and Salads | Jet's Pizza

We have been getting take out 2 or 3 times a week. Supporting small, local restaurants. No chains.

Our house is stocked up, but I have little to no desire for cooking. Although, last night I made shortcake. We had fresh raspberry shortcake for dinner.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1589416560764.jpg
    FB_IMG_1589416560764.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 10
We have been getting take out 2 or 3 times a week. Supporting small, local restaurants. No chains.

Our house is stocked up, but I have little to no desire for cooking. Although, last night I made shortcake. We had fresh raspberry shortcake for dinner.

Your raspberry shortcake looks yummy :) DH and I both enjoy cooking, but we like to order takeout at least once a week, pandemic or not. I think we'd both become frustrated if we didn't have a carryout option available at this time. We don't eat out anywhere near as much as others in our area, but it will be nice to have a dinner or two out each month when we're able to do that in Michigan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member