Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mix all up with fried potatoes, diced grilled onions, and sprinkle grated cheese on the top to melt.......Then invite me over to eat.......:D..........moo

Oh I’ll have to tell you guys how my “potato issue” turned out, haha. I followed @JaneEyre ‘s advice and got really stoned, put the potatoes in a corner and waited for them to quit coughing. :D Seriously it’s a long deal, the potatoes. Marking for next post lol.

Pandemic quandary. I took out a lb. of ground hamburger meat out of the freezer. What do I do with this valuable asset?

Make 3 hamburger patties for variety, or make a small batch of homemade spaghetti sauce? Oh, the basic decisions that we rethink while under stay at home rules and trying to extend our pantry while having variety of things to eat.

Hamburgers, spaghetti, hamburgers, spaghetti.... I still don't know.

Last night, I made ground beef & black bean pinwheels with cheese sauce. I don't know if people make pinwheels anymore, but it was a nice blast from the past. I used 1/2 pound of ground beef, an onion and a tin of black beans. The recipe made enough for leftovers tonight.

Here's a nice and easy recipe for you, using things you probably have at home. Some people use pizza dough, but I just make a biscuit dough.
Ground Beef Pinwheels with Mushroom Sauce

Merci, I was rather insanely thinking of Italian braciole & trying to figure out how you’d roll the ground beef? I’ll have to try it when/if, please God, DtTony goes back to work, since he doesn’t eat beef.

We had fish tacos earlier this week, and I wanted to use up the tortillas before they got stale. I assembled Mexican Lasagna for dinner tonight. I don't really use a recipe for this because I've made it many times and make it differently every time depending on what I have in the fridge and pantry. At times, I made it from scratch with all fresh ingredients, but this time, I used mostly cans/pre-packaged ingredients. Mexican Lasagna is very forgiving, so you can vary the recipe to suit your tastes. Here's what's in mine:

1# ground beef
3-4 scallions, sliced
4 oz can chopped green chiles
4 oz can slicked black olives, drained
15 oz can black beans, drained
10 oz package frozen corn
15 oz can Mexican-seasoned diced tomatoes
1 package Taco seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican 4-cheese)
Flour tortillas

Brown the meat with the taco seasoning in a large skillet; drain fat. Saute the scallions until soft. Return meat to skillet, and add the other ingredients. Simmer until the mixture thickens and liquid is absorbed.

Place a single layer of tortillas on the bottom of a large baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the meat mixture on top the tortillas. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat two more layers of tortillas, meat mixture, shredded cheese. Finish with a layer of tortillas and the rest of the cheese. Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes. Serve with avocado slices, a dollop of sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro or chives.

Last edited:
My favorite thing to do with ground beef is make foil dinners. Beef patty, sliced onion, potato, carrots, salt and pepper. Serve with butter and ranch dressing. Don't judge. :)

I don't generally cook but I love these foil dinners - I can make them. I am adding the items to my next grocery run list. My kind of cooking, pile stuff in a foil packet and put in oven. They are so good. I use A1 instead of ranch dressing though.

I don't generally cook but I love these foil dinners - I can make them. I am adding the items to my next grocery run list. My kind of cooking, pile stuff in a foil packet and put in oven. They are so good. I use A1 instead of ranch dressing though.

DH and I enjoy cod prepared like this: Place the cod on a bed of fresh spinach or arugula, top with sliced scallions, tomatoes, lemons, capers, fresh sprigs of thyme and rosemary, a drizzle of Pernod or white wine. Salt and pepper to taste. Wrap fish in its foil pouch and bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes. We put the foil-wrapped fish on a baking sheet so the oven doesn't get messy ;)

Speaking of baking sheets, here's a whole slew of sheet-pan recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/photos/sheet-pan-recipes.

Last edited:
We used to make individual foil dinners when we went camping. Everyone took a couple sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil and selected from the fresh sliced vegetables, then piled them on to the foil. Top with ground beef, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put into the hot coals until done.

Open the packet and add a cheese slice or two, and your choice of ketchup, mustard, steak sauce or dressing.

I had about half a carton of Earthbound Farms baby arugula that needed to be used up and made pesto yesterday. I make it with basil, spinach, peas, arugula, or a combination of the greens. Pesto is quite versatile as a substitute for pasta sauce, topping for chicken and fish, etc. I made mine in a food processor with arugula, toasted walnuts, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, Parmesan cheese, a splash of hot sauce, salt, pepper, and olive oil. I store it in a Mason jar with a drizzle of olive oil on top. If the pesto becomes dry, just add a little more olive oil.

We had fish tacos earlier this week, and I wanted to use up the tortillas before they got stale. I assembled Mexican Lasagna for dinner tonight. I don't really use a recipe for this because I've made it many times and make it differently every time depending on what I have in the fridge and pantry. At times, I made it from scratch with all fresh ingredients, but this time, I used mostly cans/pre-packaged ingredients. Mexican Lasagna is very forgiving, so you can vary the recipe to suit your tastes. Here's what's in mine:

1# ground beef
3-4 scallions, sliced
4 oz can chopped green chiles
4 oz can slicked black olives, drained
15 oz can black beans, drained
10 oz package frozen corn
15 oz can Mexican-seasoned diced tomatoes
1 package Taco seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican 4-cheese)
Flour tortillas

Brown the meat with the taco seasoning in a large skillet; drain fat. Saute the scallions until soft. Return meat to skillet, and add the other ingredients. Simmer until the mixture thickens and liquid is absorbed.

Place a single layer of tortillas on the bottom of a large baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the meat mixture on top the tortillas. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat two more layers of tortillas, meat mixture, shredded cheese. Finish with a layer of tortillas and the rest of the cheese. Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes. Serve with avocado slices, a dollop of sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro or chives.
I do something similar in a deep dish pie plat and we call it Mexican Pie. Easy dish to use stuff up and can make it meatless when the vegetarians are over or with lots of meat for DH and I.

Bread Machine Dinner Rolls

1 cup warm water
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast (we usually use rapid rise but active dry is fine too)

Place ingredients in bread machine pan in order given. Set on dough cycle and start.

Check dough 5 minutes into the cycle. Dough should be firm and very slightly sticky. If dry, add a little water at a time until desired consistency. If too sticky, add a little flour at a time until desired consistency.

When dough cycle is finished, punch dough down. Grease two round cake pans. Shape dough into 16 rolls. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (usually takes ~30 minutes for rapid rise yeast). I usually preheat my oven to 350 and set the covered pans on top of the stove so the dough rises as the oven warms.

Bake rolls at 350 for ~15 minutes, until golden brown. Brush tops with melted butter or margarine if desired.

This makes 2 pans of 8 rolls each. These usually last a couple days.

You can also make the dough ahead. After the dough cycle is finished, shape rolls and place the pans in zipper bags and place in the fridge or freezer. When ready to bake, let dough come up to room temperature and rise until double. Then follow baking instructions above.

Vegan Crockpot 5-bean Chili

2 cups tomato juice
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans chili beans, undrained
1 can light kidney beans, drained
1 can dark kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
Chili seasoning, to taste

Stir all ingredients together in crock pot. Cook on low all day. We usually eat this with cornbread or corn casserole.

This makes a big batch and freezes well. When heating for another meal we like to stir in beefless ground crumbles (Boca or Gardein are favorites) and a little extra chili seasoning. Makes it almost feel like a different meal! You can also use ground beef or turkey for those who prefer meat.

I made this Dal recipe tonight: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/winner-aarti-sequeira1/mums-everyday-red-lentils-recipe-1921913

I left out the Serrano, used canned tomatoes instead of fresh and subbed 1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger for the fresh ginger root. Even with those alterations it was really good. We ate the lentils over rice made in my rice cooker. Next time I hope to make this with some form of hot pepper, fresh tomatoes and ginger, all from my garden. I did use fresh cilantro from my herb garden.

I read an article about the challenges of the meat factories staying open and it said one thing the chicken companies might do to keep production up would be to switch to only processing whole chickens. That would mean fewer boneless/skinless options at the store. Fortunately, I know many ways to cook a whole chicken (and how to break it down to pieces too), but I was thinking about this and realized many people who don't cook often might feel overwhelmed at the idea of having to buy whole chickens to cook. For anyone new to cooking here are some easy whole chicken recipes that I have been using for many years. These are practically no-fail methods and it's very easy to change up the seasonings according to your preferences or based on what you happen to have on hand:

For roasting whole in the oven:
Kittencal's Best Blasted Rapid-Roast Whole Chicken Recipe - Food.com

For cooking whole in a slow cooker:
Whole Chicken in the CrockPot Recipe - A Year of Slow Cooking
CrockPot Rotisserie-Style Chicken Recipe - A Year of Slow Cooking

After you cook a whole chicken and pull off most of the good meat, make bone broth and/or soup from the bones:
Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth Recipe
CrockPot Tortilla Soup Recipe - A Year of Slow Cooking
CrockPot Turkey and Wild Rice Soup Recipe - A Year of Slow Cooking
(I know the above link says turkey but I make it with chicken too)

Or use the shredded cooked chicken for tacos, sandwiches, salad, wraps, chicken pot pie, etc.

Only slightly more advanced, if you know how to spatchcock a chicken or you are willing to learn, then make "chicken under a brick":
Chicken Under a Brick (Mark Bittman) Recipe - Food.com

Hope this helps someone. :)

I read an article about the challenges of the meat factories staying open and it said one thing the chicken companies might do to keep production up would be to switch to only processing whole chickens. That would mean fewer boneless/skinless options at the store. Fortunately, I know many ways to cook a whole chicken (and how to break it down to pieces too), but I was thinking about this and realized many people who don't cook often might feel overwhelmed at the idea of having to buy whole chickens to cook. For anyone new to cooking here are some easy whole chicken recipes that I have been using for many years. These are practically no-fail methods and it's very easy to change up the seasonings according to your preferences or based on what you happen to have on hand:

For roasting whole in the oven:
Kittencal's Best Blasted Rapid-Roast Whole Chicken Recipe - Food.com

For cooking whole in a slow cooker:
Whole Chicken in the CrockPot Recipe - A Year of Slow Cooking
CrockPot Rotisserie-Style Chicken Recipe - A Year of Slow Cooking

After you cook a whole chicken and pull off most of the good meat, make bone broth and/or soup from the bones:
Slow Cooker Chicken Bone Broth Recipe
CrockPot Tortilla Soup Recipe - A Year of Slow Cooking
CrockPot Turkey and Wild Rice Soup Recipe - A Year of Slow Cooking
(I know the above link says turkey but I make it with chicken too)

Or use the shredded cooked chicken for tacos, sandwiches, salad, wraps, chicken pot pie, etc.

Only slightly more advanced, if you know how to spatchcock a chicken or you are willing to learn, then make "chicken under a brick":
Chicken Under a Brick (Mark Bittman) Recipe - Food.com

Hope this helps someone. :)
Don't forget to remove the giblets from inside the chicken before cooking. Also check under the chicken for those plastic rug things.
I always put a halved lemon or orange inside the chicken to cook as it keeps it super moist.

Don't forget to remove the giblets from inside the chicken before cooking. Also check under the chicken for those plastic rug things.
I always put a halved lemon or orange inside the chicken to cook as it keeps it super moist.
I do the halved lemon also! Works like a charm each and every time. Never thought to do an orange so am going to try it the next time I make roasted chicken in the oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak