Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That reminds me of a visit we had many years ago. A local group of kids who were cooking for displaced teens rang our bell and asked if we had any old produce to give them. Sure enough we let them go through our fridge and pick out some sad looking veggies which they were thrilled to have.

As the kids got older they ended up being founding members of our local food bank. Not only am I proud of their resourcefulness and the the energy they've put in feeding locals I'm also grateful for the lesson that "imperfect" or not quite fresh produce can be used.

Hubby and I now keep aware of what's in the veggie drawer and have come up with some interesting - and delicious - recipes to make use of stuff we used to toss out. So you can teach old dogs new tricks sometimes. :D
I love this! What generosity at a young age. Most of my produce comes from our food bank. Sometimes I have to sort it or prep it right away because it’s so ripe. We try not to waste any of it. My friend and I trade items too. I’m curious to see what will happen now that the farmers have the green light to get produce direct to food banks.

We had Korean beef bowls for dinner tonight: Korean Beef Bowl Recipe
I tweaked the above recipe slightly by cutting back on the sugar and mixing all the spices with the soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil to make a sauce. That way all I had to do was cook the ground beef in a skillet add the veggies and pour the sauce over it. I used frozen veggies and made my rice in a rice cooker. Topped with some green onion that has been re-growing in a mason jar of water on my counter for a month. Super simple and delicious meal. The only thing missing was a bit of kimchi to add to the bowls. Later in the year, if we have a lot of cucumbers, I'll make some quick kimchi pickles. I've made something like this recipe before: Quick Kimchi Pickles
Still serial posting...

I made this a few days ago and yes it was amazing! I also shorted the sugar a little. Hubby who is competing with me for the best Asian recipes had to admit this was a winner. It inspired him to make a similar dish with pork. He's the Dan Dan noodle king but he had to admit my dish rocked!

I made gluten free banana bread this morning without milk and without eggs using this recipe: Best Banana Bread - No Egg, No Milk, Gluten Free Recipe - Food.com

This was the first time I've made banana bread without eggs and it turned out pretty good. I used brown sugar instead of white sugar. I didn't have chocolate chips but I had a dark chocolate bar so I chopped that up and mixed it in instead. I also doubled the recipe and made it in a full sized loaf pan instead of the mini loaf pan but it was still only half the height of the pan. I think it would be really good as mini muffins. I think this recipe would be good with raisins and/or walnuts added instead of the chocolate. It's a little sweeter than we like, so we'll try not to eat it all at once. ;):D

Dinner tonight is Thai Chicken Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce. This is the peanut sauce recipe I have used for many years:
Thai-Style Peanut Sauce with Honey Recipe

This time I made the sauce just as the recipe says but some variations are possible. If I'm making it for someone who is vegan or I'm out of honey, I have used maple syrup before in place of the honey. If I don't have fresh ginger and fresh garlic I use 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. I have successfully used coconut aminos in the past to sub for the soy sauce. If you don't like spicy food you can leave out the red pepper flakes or cut back on them but they are really what make it sing IMO. The longer the sauce has to meld the deeper the flavor will be-- the heat doesn't come through right away if you taste the sauce right after you make it so whatever you do, do NOT add extra red pepper flakes if you taste it and think it's not spicy enough for your liking. You can always add more red pepper flake while eating if you want.

This recipe is a variation of spring rolls that is good but I always make it a little different each time: Thai Chicken Spring Rolls

I like to add shredded cabbage to my spring rolls. I usually buy a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw with carrots in it already to save a step. There are tons of variations you can make for the fillings. I like to make with ground chicken sometimes instead of chopped chicken but I'll use whatever I have on hand. When I don't have rice paper wrappers I will make the spring roll mix, stir all of the peanut sauce into it and then we eat it over rice like a stir fry. The peanut sauce is an amazing stir fry sauce, just don't let it cook too long at a high heat because the honey can burn. I always put in the pan at the end and turn the heat off as soon as my sauce is warm. The spring roll mixture and peanut sauce is also good mixed with cooked rice noodles and then chilled for a cold peanut noodle salad. Yum. :)

Last edited:
Dinner tonight is Thai Chicken Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce. This is the peanut sauce recipe I have used for many years:
Thai-Style Peanut Sauce with Honey Recipe

This time I made the sauce just as the recipe says but some variations are possible. If I'm making it for someone who is vegan or I'm out of honey, I have used maple syrup before in place of the honey. If I don't have fresh ginger and fresh garlic I use 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. I have successfully used coconut aminos in the past to sub for the soy sauce. If you don't like spicy food you can leave out the red pepper flakes or cut back on them but they are really what make it sing IMO. The longer the sauce has to meld the deeper the flavor will be-- the heat doesn't come through right away if you taste the sauce right after you make it so whatever you do, do NOT add extra red pepper flakes if you taste it and think it's not spicy enough for your liking. You can always add more red pepper flake while eating if you want.

This recipe is a variation of spring rolls that is good but I always make it a little different each time: Thai Chicken Spring Rolls

I like to add shredded cabbage to my spring rolls. I usually buy a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw with carrots in it already to save a step. There are tons of variations you can make for the fillings. I like to make with ground chicken sometimes instead of chopped chicken but I'll use whatever I have on hand. When I don't have rice paper wrappers I will make the spring roll mix, stir all of the peanut sauce into it and then we eat it over rice like a stir fry. The peanut sauce is an amazing stir fry sauce, just don't let it cook too long at a high heat because the honey can burn. I always put in the pan at the end and turn the heat off as soon as my sauce is warm. The spring roll mixture and peanut sauce is also good mixed with cooked rice noodles and then chilled for a cold peanut noodle salad. Yum. :)
That sounds yummy, just printed the recipe. Thank you!

We had Korean beef bowls for dinner tonight: Korean Beef Bowl Recipe
I tweaked the above recipe slightly by cutting back on the sugar and mixing all the spices with the soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil to make a sauce. That way all I had to do was cook the ground beef in a skillet add the veggies and pour the sauce over it. I used frozen veggies and made my rice in a rice cooker. Topped with some green onion that has been re-growing in a mason jar of water on my counter for a month. Super simple and delicious meal. The only thing missing was a bit of kimchi to add to the bowls. Later in the year, if we have a lot of cucumbers, I'll make some quick kimchi pickles. I've made something like this recipe before: Quick Kimchi Pickles

Making Korean Beef Bowls tomorrow night as a result of this thread!

If you've ever had gluten free brownies and they just suck - well, here you go, my recipe is the best we've ever tasted. From scratch with basic ingredients and they don't have to be gluten free either. I got this recipe for "Fudge Pie" from a friend in Alabama back in 1989. The only change I've ever done is used GF flour. I've raised my kids on these and they call them brownies.

Fudge Pie (or Brownies)

In a heavy sauce pan over low heat, melt 4 squares (1 oz ea) of Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate and 1 cup (2 sticks) of real butter. Blend with a whisk.

Remove from heat and add 4 large eggs. Whisk quickly so eggs don't cook - the batter will be lumpy.

Add in and whisk until well blended:
2 ½ cups of regular sugar,
1 ½ cup of flour (or GF flour such as King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill 1:1)
2 teaspoons vanilla

Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Bake at 350 deg for about 25-27 minutes. A toothpick will be almost clean and the edges will just begin to pull away from the sides.

When cool, cut into small squares as they are very rich. They freeze well.

ETA: In case you don't have unsweetened baking chocolate on hand:
3 level tablespoons unsweetened cocoa and 1 tablespoon butter, margarine or shortening for every 1-ounce unsweetened baking chocolate.

3 level tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa plus 1 tablespoon shortening, butter, or oil for every 1-ounce unsweetened baking chocolate.
upload_2020-4-21_11-33-46.png

This sounds so delicious right now. Unfortunately, I haven't found any ground meat in my stores for 3 weeks. Although it's been 2 weeks since I last went out, I have been trying to get delivery or a curbside pick up order and every time the meat is sold out. I'm hoping I find some meat tomorrow. We'll make a pie with lamb, bison or elk if the stores have those instead of beef. I've used venison in a pie in the past too.

In case I can't find any meat, does anyone have a tried and true vegetarian cottage/shepherd's pie recipe? I have potatoes and frozen veggies. Should I just make a gravy for the veggies and bake with mashed potatoes on top?

This thread is going to be great for getting meal inspiration.

I haven't seen all the responses yet but hope maybe I can answer about the vegetarian shepherd's pie :) My daughter and I are vegetarian and like both Gardein and Boca beefless ground crumbles. They are great to substitute in most anything you would put ground beef in. We use for tacos, Hamburger Helper, sloppy joes, spaghetti, stew, etc. Both brands are about $3-4 at our Walmart here and when used with lots of veggies or pasta etc will last 3 or 4 meals for my daughter and me. Hope this helps!

Cooking for my daughter and I who are vegetarian and for my sons who are not :D

I'll try to share a few of our go-to recipes for both lifestyles that we are enjoying during quarantine.

Vegan Hamburger(less) Stew
Place in crock pot:
2 cups tomato juice
1 can corn, drained
1 can cut green beans, drained
1 can tomatoes and juice
Add a layer of each:
Scrubbed cubed potatoes
Baby carrots
Onion wedges
Beefless ground crumbles, we use Boca or Gardein (optional, this stew is great with veggies only too! You can also use ground beef for those who prefer meat).
Garlic Herb seasoning to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook on low about 8 hours. We add a can of sweet peas, drained, for the last hour or so.

This makes a nice big batch that will keep nicely in the fridge or freezer. Served with a salad or bread, usually lasts us at least 2 meals.

ETA, the cans of tomato juice I buy have 6 cups. I use 2 cups and then place 2-cup portions in storage containers and freeze. Easy start to a couple more dinners!

I made a couple of pizzas for dinner. A pantry pizza sauce in my Vitamix with canned fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic cloves, onion, spices, and olive oil,

For toppings I used leftovers I put together from my refrigerator. I used the last couple tablespoons of green olives in the jar, some black olives leftover from yesterday’s salad. Fresh basil from my windowsill garden, onion, crushed garlic cloves, and some bits of fresh vegetables.

I shredded the last of my mozzarella chunk on top. They turned out very well!

When I was growing up my mom was extremely frugal. She would save every bit of leftover vegetables from dinner, even a spoonful or two. She would scrape them into one of several large freezer containers she kept for that purpose.

She was always adamant about serving healthy meals so we always had two or three vegetables at dinner every night. So her freezer containers had a wide variety of vegetables: lima beans, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, corn, carrots, peppers, onion, etc.

When the freezer containers were full she used them to make the best vegetable soup ever. As I recall she just added a pound of stew meat and some of her home-canned tomatoes and simmered it in a pot on the stove all day.

When I was growing up my mom was extremely frugal. She would save every bit of leftover vegetables from dinner, even a spoonful or two. She would scrape them into one of several large freezer containers she kept for that purpose.

She was always adamant about serving healthy meals so we always had two or three vegetables at dinner every night. So her freezer containers had a wide variety of vegetables: lima beans, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, corn, carrots, peppers, onion, etc.

When the freezer containers were full she used them to make the best vegetable soup ever. As I recall she just added a pound of stew meat and some of her home-canned tomatoes and simmered it in a pot on the stove all day.
I do this too. I grew up very poor and our mother eventually lost custody of us. I didn’t want my kids to ever experience that. I make a chicken pot pie if I don’t feel like soup. Last night my daughter was rooting thru the fridge and freezer. She poured all the vegs in a pot and made soup!

Tonight I lit an outside wood fire and cooked sliced potatos, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes and peas all in one pan accompanied with a glass of wine and was serenaded by John Denver under the stars.
I thoroughly loved every minute of nature.

Help! I went to my food pick up and they gave me 3 King Avocado. They are very soft! Do I get the flesh out and freeze it?

My friend was telling how to get them started to grow trees. I’m going to try that. I have a big space in my back yard I can plant them.

Attachments

• CC9BC19A-2836-49C5-A048-6655CEC06E1F.jpeg
    CC9BC19A-2836-49C5-A048-6655CEC06E1F.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 28
Edited to remove old post that refused to go away.
Help! I went to my food pick up and they gave me 3 King Avocado. They are very soft! Do I get the flesh out and freeze it?

My friend was telling how to get them started to grow trees. I’m going to try that. I have a big space in my back yard I can plant them.
I looked into planting an Avocado tree. I live in the south and the winter instructions included wrapping the tree in blankets and using a space heater! I passed on that plan.
I don't think that you can save really over ripe Avocados. Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

Tonight I lit an outside wood fire and cooked sliced potatos, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes and peas all in one pan accompanied with a glass of wine and was serenaded by John Denver under the stars.
I thoroughly loved every minute of nature.
Sounds similar to a “recipe” we enjoy.

Sauté mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes from the garden, peas, and fresh corn cut off the cob. Serve on top of mashed potatoes.

I don't know about freezing them, but you can make smoothies with very ripe avocados. I make them very simply with some freshly squeezed lime juice (to prevent browning), a little honey, and almond milk. And, of course, you can always make guacamole :)

4 Avocado Breakfast Smoothie Recipes | California Avocado

Speaking of almond milk, DH has "learned" to like it during the COVID-19 outbreak. He likes milk in his cereal/oatmeal but has a hard time finding quarts of low-fat milk. If he gets a half gallon, it sours before he finishes it. He likes half & half in coffee, and buys that in pints. I don't use milk ever but like almond milk when I have cereal or smoothies. Almond milk stays fresh for a long time, so I don't need to get more than a half gallon every two or three weeks. DH started using it in his cereal/oatmeal and decided it's fine for this purpose. No more sour milk stinking up the fridge or poured down the kitchen sink :D

Last edited:

You can freeze it. I have seen bags of frozen avocado, and I have done it myself. But it’s only use would be in a smoothie I think. That is what I did, and you can’t taste it, but it adds a lovely richness.

I learned this from my dad when I was a kid. When you are cooking hot dogs, soak them in a glass bowl full of beer for 30 minutes or so, then steam the hot dogs using beer rather than water. It gives them great flavor.

Also my dad taught me never buy cheap hot dogs. Buy hot dogs that have good ingredients, and he always bought kosher hot dogs for the best taste.

I no longer eat hot dogs but I do buy Field Roast vegetarian hot dogs. They taste amazing using Dad’s beer soak and cook method.

Love your beer and hot dog idea! I know this will be good, because this past weekend we did:

Wisconsin Butterbeer Brats

Slice up a couple onions, throw in a big pot
Put your uncooked brats on top
Poor enough beer into the pot to cover the brats by a few inches
Stick of butter goes in the pot

Simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove brats from pot--place on hot grill--brown them up
Use tongs to put onion slices on your brat

You won't believe how good these are. Yes, you can taste the butter and beer in your bratwurst.

I like to serve this with:

Curry Ketchup

Pour some ketchup into a measuring cup, add 1-2 teaspoons curry powder per 1/2 cup of ketchup. Stir good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member