Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on the above: My russets had tiny green eyes sprouting. I could have used them still but I decided to set them in the window to sprout more and I will do an experimental planting in my garden later. I made turkey chili for dinner instead with some ground turkey I had defrosted. Chili was just OK, not great. We're still eating it for leftovers today. If anyone has a tried and true recipe using ground turkey, please share. I have one more package in the freezer for later. I don't want to make turkey burgers with it. Looking for a recipe that doesn't require bread if possible. I can make most recipes gluten free if they have just a little flour in them but I'm trying not to depend heavily on GF replacement foods right now.

There used to be a very popular restaurant in Bloomfield Hills, MI that closed a few years ago. Hogan's was the first local restaurant to offer a "white chili" on their menu. Everyone raved about the turkey chili and wanted the recipe that was eventually published in local newspapers. I've been making Hogan's White Chili for years and no longer have the recipe, but here's the ingredient list. I'm sure you can figure out the method ;)

1# ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 large pepper (orange, red, or yellow), chopped
1 small can (4oz) chopped green chiles
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
1 32oz carton chicken or turkey stock

LOL. That was pretty funny. I've only made 4 things on the list (pizza, spaghetti, flat bread and chili). The test said I'm 21 years old and live in Washington state. I've never even visited Washington and without giving away my age they were off by decades. I'll take it though. :D:p

It said I was 24 and live in Georgia. I made 6 things on the list (spaghetti, chili, peanut butter cookies, fettuccini alfredo, mac n cheese and dang what is the 6th thing....)

LOL. That was pretty funny. I've only made 4 things on the list (pizza, spaghetti, flat bread and chili). The test said I'm 21 years old and live in Washington state. I've never even visited Washington and without giving away my age they were off by decades. I'll take it though. :D:p

LOL! I'm 29 and live in New York. Been to New York several times, but I passed 29 many moons ago :D

Ok sooooo after the week at work I have had dealing with co-workers who may/may not have tested positive (not really getting straight answers) and then coming into the office possibly exposing others (oh so happy about that). And customers who are starting to fall apart and be less than understanding - this girl is shifting gears with her recipe ideas

Tonite I am making Spicy Jalapeno Margarita's and it just might be dinner LOL

Salt
Ice cubes
2 oz Tequila (I use a Silver)
1 oz Triple sec
1/2 Lime - juiced
1/2 Tbl agave nectar
1/4 to 1/2 Jalapeno pepper, cut into thin rounds (I muddle some in shaker and then place rounds in glass) but I like spicy
Splash of OJ

Take your glass and run the squeezed lime rind around the edge, dip your glass into a plate filled with salt to rim the edge.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes halfway. Add tequila, triple sec, lime juice, agave nectar, jalapeno slices and a splash of orange juice. Close tightly and shake vigorously until icy cold. Enjoy!!

This is a quick recipe I thought of last year, and continue to make.

It's not only a visually beautiful dish, it's so easy, quick, and very tasty. All that may be needed with it is a bread of your choice since it's a one skillet full meal. Add more or less ingredient depending on number eating it. This recipe is enough for at least 2 adults.

Need:
1 Baby spinach (all of small organic container)
2. Mushrooms of ur choice 1 1/2 cups
3. Garlic butter 3 or 4 tbspoons.
4. Olive oil - enough to cover the bottom of large nonstick skillet
5. Grape tomatoes 1 1/2 cups) sliced into halves
6. Juice of one lemon or you can substitute 3 tbsp of bottled lemon juice.
6. Spring onions using green and white. 1 large bunch sliced thin.
7. S/P per individual choice and taste.
8. 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of diced chicken breasts. 1x1 inch size. Apprx.

Put garlic butter, and olive oil together in nonstick skillet-cook on medium to medium low temp. Add S/Pd diced chicken, and roast on each side for a few minutes until done.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Cover, turn heat down to semi low.
Cook until spinach is done or wilted to individual taste.

Last edited:
It said I was 24 and live in Georgia. I made 6 things on the list (spaghetti, chili, peanut butter cookies, fettuccini alfredo, mac n cheese and dang what is the 6th thing....)

Hey, Neighbor! Let's see, I have visited Georgia and we'll say I've been 24 twice and then some.

Clicked on some things I'd like to fix, but won't since Mr. Laughing's doctor had that Come-to-Jesus talk about carbs a while back....

Ok sooooo after the week at work I have had dealing with co-workers who may/may not have tested positive (not really getting straight answers) and then coming into the office possibly exposing others (oh so happy about that). And customers who are starting to fall apart and be less than understanding - this girl is shifting gears with her recipe ideas

Tonite I am making Spicy Jalapeno Margarita's and it just might be dinner LOL

Salt
Ice cubes
2 oz Tequila (I use a Silver)
1 oz Triple sec
1/2 Lime - juiced
1/2 Tbl agave nectar
1/4 to 1/2 Jalapeno pepper, cut into thin rounds (I muddle some in shaker and then place rounds in glass) but I like spicy
Splash of OJ
Best recipe yet

Take your glass and run the squeezed lime rind around the edge, dip your glass into a plate filled with salt to rim the edge.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes halfway. Add tequila, triple sec, lime juice, agave nectar, jalapeno slices and a splash of orange juice. Close tightly and shake vigorously until icy cold. Enjoy!!
Best recipe yet.

We had Korean beef bowls for dinner tonight: Korean Beef Bowl Recipe
I tweaked the above recipe slightly by cutting back on the sugar and mixing all the spices with the soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil to make a sauce. That way all I had to do was cook the ground beef in a skillet add the veggies and pour the sauce over it. I used frozen veggies and made my rice in a rice cooker. Topped with some green onion that has been re-growing in a mason jar of water on my counter for a month. Super simple and delicious meal. The only thing missing was a bit of kimchi to add to the bowls. Later in the year, if we have a lot of cucumbers, I'll make some quick kimchi pickles. I've made something like this recipe before: Quick Kimchi Pickles

ANOTHER RECIPE TAKING THE INTERNET BY STORM!! ⛈(yes, it really is...)
No-Yeast Peanut Butter Bread
Almost too easy:
2 cups of flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/3 cups milk, and 1/2 cup peanut butter. You mix the dry ingredients, then blend in the milk, then the peanut butter. Bake in a greased loaf pan in an oven preheated to 325F for an hour. That’s it. Some folks add chocolate chips to the batter.....

Attachments

• pnb.jpg
    pnb.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 9
I learned this from my dad when I was a kid. When you are cooking hot dogs, soak them in a glass bowl full of beer for 30 minutes or so, then steam the hot dogs using beer rather than water. It gives them great flavor.

Also my dad taught me never buy cheap hot dogs. Buy hot dogs that have good ingredients, and he always bought kosher hot dogs for the best taste.

I no longer eat hot dogs but I do buy Field Roast vegetarian hot dogs. They taste amazing using Dad’s beer soak and cook method.

Here is a super simple way to make sweet rolls for breakfast (I can’t even call it a recipe)

Two ingredients: Milky Way bars (either the “Fun Size” or regular size bars cut into three pieces)

Pillsbury Grandes biscuits

Put a piece of Milky Way bar inside the middle of each biscuit. Then bake as usual. These turn out surprisingly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove