Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed to use up some of my homemade yogurt before April 15th, so I made flatbread:
4-Ingredient Gluten-Free Dough Flatbread Recipe by Tasty

The recipe is for gluten free flour but I think it would work well with regular flour too if anyone is looking for bread recipes that don't require yeast.

I'm also going to make this Samosa soup today recipe if my potatoes are still good:
Samosa Soup Recipe - Indian.Food.com

I last bought potatoes nearly 4 weeks ago and have 2 big russets left. I'm surprised they haven't sprouted eyes yet. I usually can't keep potatoes in my pantry that long.

A few weeks ago, I decided to subscribe to "Imperfect Produce", some may know what that is, but in just in case some don't, it is a weekly subscription to a box of fruits and veggies that are either overstocked, or have small blemishes, or aren't the "right" size for most grocery stores.

I was concerned that while I had a good stock of pantry items, and freezer meat, I wouldn't be able to provide the fresh veg and fruit to my family. So, for 20 bucks a week, I get a box dropped off on my doorstep once a week, full of stuff.

This week I found myself with red beets, brussell sprouts, yellow peppers, avocados, grapes, kiwi, yellow squash, cucumbers, and celery. Oh, blood oranges and tons of carrots. Mr. Stew grilled steaks last night and I made this for our salad:

Beet, Sprout, Bleu Cheese, Blood Orange Salad

Send the brussel sprouts through the food processor into a fine slice
Bake the beets until tender, then cool and dice
Section the blood oranges

Layer first the sprouts, then the beets, then crumbled bleu cheese, artfully arange sections of blood orange around the plate. Homemade white balsamic dressing on top. So good and fresh!

Now, what to do with all these carrots and yellow peppers???

This is my best potato recipe. Bon Appetit!

Potatoes Dauphin

4 large russet potatoes
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups (about 1/2 pound) shredded Gruyere cheese
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

Peel potatoes. Cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Soak in ice water for several hours or overnight. Drain well and pat dry.

Preheat oven to 400*.

Place one quarter of the potatoes in a single layer in a 9x13 or 7x12 baking dish. Sprinkle with a quarter of the garlic and a quarter of the cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Repeat process three times. Pour cream evenly over top.

Cover and bake 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake until potatoes are tender and top is nicely browned (about 30-35 minutes). Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Serves 4-6.

A few weeks ago, I decided to subscribe to "Imperfect Produce", some may know what that is, but in just in case some don't, it is a weekly subscription to a box of fruits and veggies that are either overstocked, or have small blemishes, or aren't the "right" size for most grocery stores.

I was concerned that while I had a good stock of pantry items, and freezer meat, I wouldn't be able to provide the fresh veg and fruit to my family. So, for 20 bucks a week, I get a box dropped off on my doorstep once a week, full of stuff.

This week I found myself with red beets, brussell sprouts, yellow peppers, avocados, grapes, kiwi, yellow squash, cucumbers, and celery. Oh, blood oranges and tons of carrots. Mr. Stew grilled steaks last night and I made this for our salad:

Beet, Sprout, Bleu Cheese, Blood Orange Salad

Send the brussel sprouts through the food processor into a fine slice
Bake the beets until tender, then cool and dice
Section the blood oranges

Layer first the sprouts, then the beets, then crumbled bleu cheese, artfully arange sections of blood orange around the plate. Homemade white balsamic dressing on top. So good and fresh!

Now, what to do with all these carrots and yellow peppers???
I’m the only one who eats carrots. In addition to cutting up some for soups and freezing them, I’ll cook some and freeze them.

Honeyed Carrots: Peel carrots, cut into thick 3” sticks, boil with 1 teaspoon real butter and 1 teaspoon of honey. I also add a sprinkle of powdered spices like onion and garlic. Drain, add a bit more butter and honey, stir and serve. They freeze really well.

Roasted Carrots: Peel carrots, cut into 3” thick sticks. In a bowl add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and dried spices such as salt, pepper, onion, garlic, etc. Add carrots and coat them. In a baking dish lined with foil, add the carrots and bake at 350 deg until fork tender, maybe 30-45 min. Right before they’re done, add 2 teaspoons of real butter to give them richness. These freeze really well.

Pound Cake

All ingredients at room temperature. Grease and flour tube or Bundt pan (or 2 loaf pans).

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 pint (1 cup) whipping cream
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
pinch of salt

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Slowly add flour, alternating with whipping cream. Mix until batter is smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan and place in cool oven set to 325* (do not preheat). Bake for one hour and 10-15 minutes until cake tests done with toothpick.

Allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.

I’m the only one who eats carrots. In addition to cutting up some for soups and freezing them, I’ll cook some and freeze them.

Honeyed Carrots: Peel carrots, cut into thick 3” sticks, boil with 1 teaspoon real butter and 1 teaspoon of honey. I also add a sprinkle of powdered spices like onion and garlic. Drain, add a bit more butter and honey, stir and serve. They freeze really well.

Roasted Carrots: Peel carrots, cut into 3” thick sticks. In a bowl add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and dried spices such as salt, pepper, onion, garlic, etc. Add carrots and coat them. In a baking dish lined with foil, add the carrots and bake at 350 deg until fork tender, maybe 30-45 min. Right before they’re done, add 2 teaspoons of real butter to give them richness. These freeze really well.

Love that these are both "freezer pleasers" as we call them. Thank you so much! I think I'll make those Honeyed Carrots to go with last night's leftover steak turned into Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches for tonight's dinner. Great stuff, love your ideas.

Yellow peppers: big ones, stuffed peppers. Fillings can absorb a fair amount of leftovers
Little one -- cut up & include in quiche, frittata, breakfast burritos, or even your zucchini bread recipe!

Vegetables are underrepresented at breakfast.

My throw together zucchini boats came out really good. I had never made them before. I scooped them out and patted them with olive oil. Took a bunch of veggies we had, tossed them with cooked brown rice and baked them. 350 deg about 45 min so the filling didn’t burn. Added Parmesan Romano cheese on top when done. Yummy!

Vegs:
Cooked carrots
Steamed yellow squash
Fresh spinach
Fresh tomato
Chopped onion
Minced garlic

Attachments

• 7E9E75F1-873A-4B08-8775-838C22D38F89.jpeg
    7E9E75F1-873A-4B08-8775-838C22D38F89.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 13
I don't know what recipe my kid used to make chickpea waffles but, uh, they were weird and did not cook evenly. Plan B - GF waffles from the mix we always get.
Namaste Foods Gluten Free Waffle & Pancake Mix - we've used coconut milk and flax milk but my kid likes the flax milk version better. If the batter is too thick, we add a bit more milk.

I don't know what recipe my kid used to make chickpea waffles but, uh, they were weird and did not cook evenly. Plan B - GF waffles from the mix we always get.
Namaste Foods Gluten Free Waffle & Pancake Mix - we've used coconut milk and flax milk but my kid likes the flax milk version better. If the batter is too thick, we add a bit more milk.

Chickpea waffles don't sound good at all. Sorry you had a flop. Have you tried making falafel with your chickpeas? I have never tried it with canned chickpeas but there are many recipes out there. Some recipes have eggs but many recipes don't and I think it's more authentic without the egg.

Enjoy the Namaste waffles. That is my favorite GF pancake and waffle brand. I was just looking on Amazon today and Namaste is sold out of the waffle and pancake mix. We will get another brand or play around with GF recipes using what we have but I was still a bit sad. But we will adapt and survive with what we can get. :)

Chickpea waffles don't sound good at all. Sorry you had a flop. Have you tried making falafel with your chickpeas? I have never tried it with canned chickpeas but there are many recipes out there. Some recipes have eggs but many recipes don't and I think it's more authentic without the egg.

Enjoy the Namaste waffles. That is my favorite GF pancake and waffle brand. I was just looking on Amazon today and Namaste is sold out of the waffle and pancake mix. We will get another brand or play around with GF recipes using what we have but I was still a bit sad. But we will adapt and survive with what we can get. :)
They didn't sound good to me either but our thought was, they could be used as "bread" for a veggie sandwich so to speak. My youngest kids' allergies are horrible - wheat, eggs, dairy, peanuts, sesame, almonds, mushrooms, etc. Her menu is so small. We're trying to find more stuff she can pack in her lunch or on a hike. I guess she'll get regular waffles with sun butter and fruit still. Last night she made hummus, put it in a romaine leaf and piled on tomato, spinach and something else. Then, she ate the zucchini boats we made. Like you said, we'll figure it out and survive just fine. At least with her being unemployed we have time to focus on recipes.

Cream cheese Alfredo sauce.
Quick and Easy Alfredo Sauce Recipe

I tried this last night and it was pretty good. Cream cheese lasts awhile in the fridge so it saved me from going out to get heavy cream. I used my UHT milk with no issues and added a pinch of nutmeg. My MIL says the sauce freezes and reheats better than regular Alfredo. Not sure if she put it over the pasta prior to freezing but I doubt it.

I'm also going to make this Samosa soup today recipe if my potatoes are still good:
Samosa Soup Recipe - Indian.Food.com

I last bought potatoes nearly 4 weeks ago and have 2 big russets left. I'm surprised they haven't sprouted eyes yet. I usually can't keep potatoes in my pantry that long.

Update on the above: My russets had tiny green eyes sprouting. I could have used them still but I decided to set them in the window to sprout more and I will do an experimental planting in my garden later. I made turkey chili for dinner instead with some ground turkey I had defrosted. Chili was just OK, not great. We're still eating it for leftovers today. If anyone has a tried and true recipe using ground turkey, please share. I have one more package in the freezer for later. I don't want to make turkey burgers with it. Looking for a recipe that doesn't require bread if possible. I can make most recipes gluten free if they have just a little flour in them but I'm trying not to depend heavily on GF replacement foods right now.

Update on the above: My russets had tiny green eyes sprouting. I could have used them still but I decided to set them in the window to sprout more and I will do an experimental planting in my garden later. I made turkey chili for dinner instead with some ground turkey I had defrosted. Chili was just OK, not great. We're still eating it for leftovers today. If anyone has a tried and true recipe using ground turkey, please share. I have one more package in the freezer for later. I don't want to make turkey burgers with it. Looking for a recipe that doesn't require bread if possible. I can make most recipes gluten free if they have just a little flour in them but I'm trying not to depend heavily on GF replacement foods right now.
I use ground turkey for taco meat. I do use the GF McCormick taco seasoning packet if my oldest is here. Otherwise, I use the low sodium version. If can’t eat it all, I split it up into small portions and freeze it. If I don’t want tacos, I’ll sprinkle it over refried beans and top with cheese. Sometimes I make taco salad or nachos too.

ETA: I use ground turkey, not ground turkey breast. Ground turkey breast is too bland. You need the dark meat in ground turkey for flavor.

This turkey meatloaf is delicious. My husband prefers it to beef meatloaf which is shocking.

Jamie's Monster Meatloaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members