Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made rice pudding for the first time today using leftover rice from last nights dinner. I simmered it in milk with a little sugar and some almond extract for about 40 minutes. It tastes great but I have a question for experienced cooks. Is the rice supposed to stay in grains or should it be mushy? Mine is still in a grain form but it tastes good.

I’m not a very good cook so I hope this makes sense :D
My rice pudding has always stayed in grain form. I’ve had it in restaurants and it has always been in grain form too.

Rice pudding sounds delicious! A good comfort food.

That reminds me, if you end up with any bread going stale, bread pudding would be a lovely thing at this time. I had it once with lemon sauce and that was the best.
I didn’t care for bread pudding when I first had it because elderly relatives just made it to use up stale bread. IIRC just stale bread, milk, egg, raisins, maybe some vanilla.

But now bread pudding is served as a gourmet dessert with salted caramel, fruit, dark chocolate, all kinds of tasty recipes.

I didn’t care for bread pudding when I first had it because elderly relatives just made it to use up stale bread. IIRC just stale bread, milk, egg, raisins, maybe some vanilla.

But now bread pudding is served as a gourmet dessert with salted caramel, fruit, dark chocolate, all kinds of tasty recipes.
Rum sauce, too. I’ve had it with rum sauce.

Tonight we're making Casado - a Costa Rican dish that's kind of like Breakfast for Dinner. Our version is a combination of a mix of rice and black beans (using canned black beans), a salad of lettuce and tomatoes with a light vinagrette dressing and maduros, which is fried ripe plantains. We top it with a fried egg. You can also add meat and other veggies but we like to keep it simple.

To make the rice and beans saute finely chopped onion and minced garlic. Add the rice and beans (drain the beans if using from a can). Add salt and pepper as needed.

The maduros are easy - saute slices of ripe plantain in about 1/4 inch of neutral oil in a frying pan. After frying sprinkle a little salt on top. They should be very dark brown on both sides when done. If needed finish them in a 325 oven for 20 minutes to make sure they're cooked. Substitute green beans or whatever veggies you have on hand.

IOW, do what you like; add pork or beef to up the protein. Heck, use any beans you have on hand - it's a simple dish that's filling and fun.

We're listening to Ruben Blades' CD Caminando while we cook and eat. Not necessary but a nice addition to the meal. :)

Detroit-style Deep Dish Pizza at Home - Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers

When it comes to pizza in the Motor City, nothing beats Detroit-style deep dish. The origins can be traced back to Buddy’s Rendezvous (now known as Buddy’s Pizza) in the 1940s. However, if you’re staying home during the coronavirus pandemic and want to take a stab at making your own Detroit-style deep dish pizza, there are some great recipes online to follow...

Detroit-style Deep Dish Pizza at Home - Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers

When it comes to pizza in the Motor City, nothing beats Detroit-style deep dish. The origins can be traced back to Buddy’s Rendezvous (now known as Buddy’s Pizza) in the 1940s. However, if you’re staying home during the coronavirus pandemic and want to take a stab at making your own Detroit-style deep dish pizza, there are some great recipes online to follow...

That looks delicious. What's the difference between Detroit-style pizza and Chicago-style pizza? Is it the shape? I see that Detroit-style is a rectangle pizza.

We're gluten free, but we might have to make some pizza this week. I use this crust recipe: Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
(I mix my own flour mix instead of buying the King Arthur brand)

That looks delicious. What's the difference between Detroit-style pizza and Chicago-style pizza? Is it the shape? I see that Detroit-style is a rectangle pizza.

We're gluten free, but we might have to make some pizza this week. I use this crust recipe: Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
(I mix my own flour mix instead of buying the King Arthur brand)

I had Chicago-style pizza once and did not like it. More like pie crust than pizza dough. Very thick, heavy, and requires utensils for eating.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/true-chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza-5612273

Detroit-style pizza dough is more like crispy bread with typical pizza toppings. Usually square or rectangle.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/detroit-style-pepperoni-pizza-4718298

DH and I get takeout once a week and alternate between Jet's Pizza and Honey Tree Grille (Greek-themed deli). We'll probably get a Detroit-style veggie pizza on Good Friday.

Super Simple Pantry Recipe...I used to make these all of the time, so can vouch for how good they are...do not leave out the ketchup and mustard. So Easy to make, I would make a batch and then heat them up later and have for lunch for a few days...this is the easiest and tastiest black bean burger you can make and kids love them too!

Black Bean Burgers

Ingredients

15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
⅓ cup instant oats

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside. In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a fork (I actually use a potato masher) until mostly smooshed but still some half beans and bean parts are left. Stir in condiments and spices until well combined. Then mix in oats. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into thin patties. Bake for 7 minutes, carefully flip over and bake for another 7 minutes, or until crusty on the outside. Slap into a bun with extra condiments and eat!

Attachments

• easy-black-bean-burger-4-500x358.jpg
    easy-black-bean-burger-4-500x358.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 15
I had Chicago-style pizza once and did not like it. More like pie crust than pizza dough. Very thick, heavy, and requires utensils for eating.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/true-chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza-5612273

Detroit-style pizza dough is more like crispy bread with typical pizza toppings. Usually square or rectangle.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff-mauro/detroit-style-pepperoni-pizza-4718298

DH and I get takeout once a week and alternate between Jet's Pizza and Honey Tree Grille (Greek-themed deli). We'll probably get a Detroit-style veggie pizza on Good Friday.
Not all Chicago style pizza is created equal. I love Lou Malnati’s pizza. You don’t need utensils to eat, and it is delicious.

I enjoy Detroit-style pizza too. Some days I am craving Chicago-style, other days it is Detroit-style.

Actually the only style of pizza I don’t care for is St. Louis-style. (Sorry, St.Louis friends)

Not all Chicago style pizza is created equal. I love Lou Malnati’s pizza. You don’t need utensils to eat, and it is delicious.

I enjoy Detroit-style pizza too. Some days I am craving Chicago-style, other days it is Detroit-style.

Actually the only style of pizza I don’t care for is St. Louis-style. (Sorry, St.Louis friends)

We went to Uno's in Chicago. Uno Pizzeria & Grill It was supposed to be a big deal to have Chicago-style pizza in the windy city. Didn't care for it at all. Thick, heavy, doughy, and messy. One slice was enough and would never have it again.

For those committed to the "old ways" (heh), I have this book and I love it:

https://www.amazon.com/What-Think-Theres-Nothing-House/dp/006055326X

(I omit the red pepper from the Citizen Reviewer's blazingly hot critique of the author's peanut noodle recipe. I have also done it over rice. I've used smooth peanut butter when I couldn't get chunky; and I've used fresh grated ginger as well as finely crystallized baking version). Basically the overarching principle is: (1) organized by main ingredient; (2), utilizing pantry-friendly and shelf-stable ingredients.

I'm making a gallon of yogurt in my slow cooker today. Although yogurt hasn't run out at my stores, this will prevent me from making unnecessary shopping trips and it saves money too. I haven't made it for several years but this is the recipe I have used in the past with great success: Make Yogurt in Your CrockPot at Home! - A Year of Slow Cooking
My oldest makes her own Greek yogurt in the crockpot. I was given 2 cartons from the food bank and couldn’t use it all. Neither of us had ever tried this brand. When her yogurt was done, she didn’t have to skim anything off the top. She was very happy and said she’s going to price this milk in the store for next time.

The little veg/juice boxes next to the milk are great to help keep your nutrition and vitamins where they need to be, especially if you can’t get the real foods you need.

Attachments

• 09852482-F35B-4AC7-98E2-A06F832192F3.jpeg
    09852482-F35B-4AC7-98E2-A06F832192F3.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 21
I posted this in the grocery thread too. The food bank sometimes gives me a carton of frozen eggs. It equals 18 eggs. You can cut this in half too.

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Use a glass baking dish, not metal. If you don't have a glass baking dish, line a metal pan with foil. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
You can use 12 eggs and a 7" x 11" dish or use 18 eggs and a 9" x 13" dish. Adjust the amount of veggies and cheese as desired.

1/2 a bag of Ore Ida Crispy Crown flat tater tots or mini tater tots. Line the frozen tater tots on the bottom of the baking dish and add some along the sides to fill in holes.

In a large bowl, add 12-18 eggs - whisk together first, then add:
1/2 lb of ground cooked sausage, like Jimmy Dean's Crumbled Turkey Sausage
1 to 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese, any type
1-2 whole tomatoes, seeded and diced, about a cup
1 cup chopped spinach
Salt, pepper, garlic, onion to taste

Mix all together. If it seems too thick, you can add more eggs or even a bit of milk. It is a very forgiving recipe.

Pour egg mixture over the tater tots and evenly distribute so all tater tots are covered.
Bake uncovered at 350 deg for about 45-55 min. If eggs are set in the center, even if they are a bit under cooked, remove the dish from the oven. The eggs will set up as it cools. Keep refrigerated up to 5 days - if it lasts that long!

My oldest makes this with chopped tomatoes, onions and colorful peppers because she doesn't like spinach.

I got an instant pot for Christmas and I have been using it to cook my dried beans lately. I usually cook them plain and will use some for a recipe right away and divide the rest into can-sized servings in freezer containers. If you don't have an instant pot you can cook beans really easily in a crockpot. I have also been making my own bone broth using the instant pot and filling my freezer with broth. I was assessing my freezer space today and decided I have too much broth cooked and not enough cooked beans, but I'm out of containers and low on space to freeze more beans. :oops: We're supposed to get a cool snap of weather this weekend, so I'm going to make some soup with my freezer broth and dried beans. I was looking for an easy bean soup recipe and found this recent one:

Written recipe: Instant Pot Basic Bean Soup

Jeffrey is my kind of cook because he gives lots of options on how to do it and sort of cooks by taste rather than exact amounts. He's also very entertaining. :p:cool:

I posted this in the grocery thread and thought I’d bring it over here. No gluten, no dairy, no eggs. Just in case you want the recipe:

GF DF EF Cornbread

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
3/4 cup white corn meal
3 tablespoons regular sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Stir together.

1 tablespoon egg replacer (mixed with 2 tablespoons water, stir)
1/3 cup melted vegan butter
2/3 cup Flax Milk
Stir together.

Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients. If too thick, add a little more milk. Spray an 8x8 baking dish and bake at 425 about 20 minutes.

I posted this in the grocery thread too. The food bank sometimes gives me a carton of frozen eggs. It equals 18 eggs. You can cut this in half too.

Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Use a glass baking dish, not metal. If you don't have a glass baking dish, line a metal pan with foil. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
You can use 12 eggs and a 7" x 11" dish or use 18 eggs and a 9" x 13" dish. Adjust the amount of veggies and cheese as desired.

1/2 a bag of Ore Ida Crispy Crown flat tater tots or mini tater tots. Line the frozen tater tots on the bottom of the baking dish and add some along the sides to fill in holes.

In a large bowl, add 12-18 eggs - whisk together first, then add:
1/2 lb of ground cooked sausage, like Jimmy Dean's Crumbled Turkey Sausage
1 to 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese, any type
1-2 whole tomatoes, seeded and diced, about a cup
1 cup chopped spinach
Salt, pepper, garlic, onion to taste

Mix all together. If it seems too thick, you can add more eggs or even a bit of milk. It is a very forgiving recipe.

Pour egg mixture over the tater tots and evenly distribute so all tater tots are covered.
Bake uncovered at 350 deg for about 45-55 min. If eggs are set in the center, even if they are a bit under cooked, remove the dish from the oven. The eggs will set up as it cools. Keep refrigerated up to 5 days - if it lasts that long!

My oldest makes this with chopped tomatoes, onions and colorful peppers because she doesn't like spinach.

We make a very similar recipe for Tater Tot breakfast casserole but since we are vegetarian we don’t use meat in the recipe. We use more cheese, putting half the cheese into the egg mixture and sprinkling the rest on top.

I make this recipe to use up leftovers, as you mentioned it is a very forgiving recipe. I often end up with small chucks of different types of cheeses, and I just shred them and mix them together in this casserole.

I also use whatever fresh vegetables I have, just chopping them up and adding in.

No matter what cheeses or veggies I add in, it always turns out to be tasty.

I have also used shredded hash browns instead of tater tots, and it turns out very well too.

If I ever want to dress it up a little (like when I am taking it to a breakfast or brunch get together) I make some round depressions on top (by pressing a large spoon or the bottom of a measuring cup) and crack an egg into each one.

I make a Mexican version too, mixing some hot sauce in with the egg mixture, and using a Mexican cheese blend. Then I serve with salsa and sour cream on the side. You can add chopped jalapeños too if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chefk