Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Round the World. International night with the wife and two adult daughters. We each got a room and made an app and drink from a country. France, Italy, China, and Mexico were represented. After week homebound, none of us were particularly fond of each other.

However- it went well. 1st stop China (Angela-25): take out Chinese, white wine. On to France (me) for Brie and prosciutto crepes, Bourgogne Pinot Noir. Next stop Italy (Liv-20) with Mozzarella tomato basil skewers, Italian white. Ended in Mexico (Mrs.), bean salsa dip and coconut Margaritas.

We ended up happy and a bit drunk.

Now, we are trying to make a nice dinner every day for something to look forward to.

We've been making nice dinners too (plenty of time, trying some new recipes), lighting candles and making a new cocktail each night to try.

Round the World. International night with the wife and two adult daughters. We each got a room and made an app and drink from a country. France, Italy, China, and Mexico were represented. After week homebound, none of us were particularly fond of each other.

However- it went well. 1st stop China (Angela-25): take out Chinese, white wine. On to France (me) for Brie and prosciutto crepes, Bourgogne Pinot Noir. Next stop Italy (Liv-20) with Mozzarella tomato basil skewers, Italian white. Ended in Mexico (Mrs.), bean salsa dip and coconut Margaritas.

Now, we are trying to make a nice dinner every day for something to look forward to.

Thank you for the invite! I haven't been out in ages!

Couldn’t pass this thread up, lol.
Here’s my recipe for Goulash:

Goulash

• 1 Pd Hamburger/Turkey
  • Onion -1
  • Italian seasoning *
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 cans (1 large) diced tomatoes
  • Elbow Mac
  • Soy sauce-1tsp
  • 2 large cans tomato sauce
  • Cheddar cheese *
  • Garlic *
  • Ole Bay seasoning *
  • Salt/pepper *
    *Measurement determined by personal taste

This looks amazing! Thank you for sharing your idea and the fabulous photo. Very impressive.

That's awesome!

Celebrity chef Ina Garten has the perfect cocktail recipe for quarantine

We’re all coping with the coronavirus outbreak in our own ways, and for some, that’s pretending that every hour of the day is happy hour.

If you fall into that category, celebrity chef and all-around national treasure Ina Garten, also known as the Barefoot Contessa, has the perfect cocktail recipe for you..

*Be sure to watch the video: It's hilarious :D I love Ina Garten :)

Has anyone got a recipe for authentic Hungarian Goulash - I have a recipe using sour cream and paprika, which is good, but if there are any Hungarians on this site who have their recipe, I would love to have a recipe.

I don't make Goulash, but Chicken Paprikash, also Hungarian, is among my staples. Here's a recipe for Hungarian Goulash: Hungarian Braised Beef with Paprika (Pörkölt)

I am struggling most with produce. Don't want to go to stores anymore than necessary and refuse to go to more than one store. I am still working, as I work in public health and most of my work cannot be done at home. I prefer to try to shop only every couple weeks so we might start getting low on fresh produce and frozen has been hard to find.
We are empty nesters and the kids and those with little ones of their own are all staying in their homes with the exception of spouses that work in essential jobs.
I had a lot of apples that we just weren't eating so I made homemade applesauce in the Instant Pot yesterday. Just some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Really yummy. I brought some for a side for my lunch and husband will probably have some with his lunch at home. Saturday, I will make waffles for brunch and I love them topped with apple sauce.

I don't make Goulash, but Chicken Paprikash, also Hungarian, is among my staples. Here's a recipe for Hungarian Goulash: Hungarian Braised Beef with Paprika (Pörkölt)
Chicken Paprikash is one of my favorites. Make it at least once a month in the cold months. A friend taught me the trick of instead of making homemade dumplings to cut up canned biscuits and drop on top. My kids always thought that was fun to do.

...I had a lot of apples that we just weren't eating so I made homemade applesauce in the Instant Pot yesterday. Just some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Really yummy. I brought some for a side for my lunch and husband will probably have some with his lunch at home. Saturday, I will make waffles for brunch and I love them topped with apple sauce.

Do you have potatoes? Applesauce is a wonderful accompaniment for latkes (potato pancakes).

Chicken Paprikash is one of my favorites. Make it at least once a month in the cold months. A friend taught me the trick of instead of making homemade dumplings to cut up canned biscuits and drop on top. My kids always thought that was fun to do.

I make mine with egg noodles.

This recipe sounds Divine!! I know its a good one because of the specific ingredients including gherkins - Thank you very much. Chicken Paprikash also sounds great - would you be willing to share the recipe as well?

Do you have potatoes? Applesauce is a wonderful accompaniment for latkes (potato pancakes).
I only have new potatoes but I might have a box of the frozen latkes in the freezer. I pick them up once in a while as a side or eggs rather than hash. I could also make cakes from my zucchini and yellow squash, I am sure the applesauce would be good with them as well.

I only have a single electric burner and no oven/gas due to the earthquake here - if any of you have some clever one-pot stovetop recipes that aren't soup or pasta, please save us from dying of boredom before CV even has a chance!

I make mine with egg noodles.
I know that is the traditional way. My kids really enjoyed the "dumplings" and thought that getting that tube of prepared dough was a real treat! I also mainly make mine with chicken thighs because that is what I prefer; but seems right now there are not chicken thighs to be found around here!

I only have a single electric burner and no oven/gas due to the earthquake here - if any of you have some clever one-pot stovetop recipes that aren't soup or pasta, please save us from dying of boredom before CV even has a chance!
If you are able to get a countertop oven they are fabulous. I purchased this one https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Countertop-Convection-Stainless-TSSTTVDGXL-SHP/dp/B00OXSR486 when the kids all moved out and now only use my regular oven a couple times a year for a ham or a turkey. It doesn't heat up the kitchen as much and is plenty big enough for my husband and I. I love the double rack. My regular oven is now basically storage for all my sheet pans such. I don't know if you could get it delivered from Amazon but maybe somewhere else.
My husband does a lot of stir-fry which is pretty versatile with the meats and veggies you use.

Couldn’t pass this thread up, lol.
Here’s my recipe for Goulash:

Goulash

• 1 Pd Hamburger/Turkey
  • Onion -1
  • Italian seasoning *
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 cans (1 large) diced tomatoes
  • Elbow Mac
  • Soy sauce-1tsp
  • 2 large cans tomato sauce
  • Cheddar cheese *
  • Garlic *
  • Ole Bay seasoning *
  • Salt/pepper *
    *Measurement determined by personal taste

This is almost exactly like my mom's recipe for goulash. Only I think she uses Worcestershire sauce instead of soy sauce. It's hearty comfort food. I haven't had goulash in many years, since I'm gluten free, but maybe I will try to make some with gluten free pasta soon. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove