Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have a single electric burner and no oven/gas due to the earthquake here - if any of you have some clever one-pot stovetop recipes that aren't soup or pasta, please save us from dying of boredom before CV even has a chance!

We make picadillo frequently. This is very similar to the recipe I use:
Picadillo Cubano (Cuban Ground Beef Dish) | My Colombian Recipes
I don't put oregano nor bay leaves in mine, I leave the olives whole. It's a very flexible dish. Sometimes I leave out the bell peppers or the raisins if I don't have them. Cumin, Garlic, and Onion are the 3 main spices I don't ever skip, along with salt and pepper of course. The type of tomato sauce you use is flexible. Sometimes I use a can of Rotel (Tomatoes with green chilies) instead of the sauce. Sometimes my sauce is a bit of leftover pasta sauce, LOL. It's really whatever tomato product I have on hand. If I need to stretch it to feed more people or for multiple meals I will add 2 or 3 cans of cooked black beans to the picadillo when the meat is cooked through.

I suppose with one burner you would want to cook your rice first. Unless you have a rice cooker. I have a rice cooker. You might want to consider getting an instant pot or a toaster oven so you will have more cooking options. Some other things that I make with only one burner and a skillet/frying pan: Grilled sandwiches (Cheese, Ham & Cheese, PB & J, etc), pancakes for dinner, hash (corned beef/potato/onions or kielbasa/potatoes/onions, etc), stir-fry and rice (with veggies, or chicken or pork, etc), fajitas, tacos, quesadillas, hotdogs, hamburgers, sloppy joes, sloppy toms, unstuffed cabbage roll skillet, unstuffed peppers skillet, chicken & dumplings....Wait, that might be considered soup? I'm not sure. HTH. :p

I only have a single electric burner and no oven/gas due to the earthquake here - if any of you have some clever one-pot stovetop recipes that aren't soup or pasta, please save us from dying of boredom before CV even has a chance!

Not the most healthy, but

King Ranch Chicken Casserole - Budget Bytes

Chicken, canned soup, salsa, tortillas. I cut the tortillas into squares with the pizza cutter.

Can't find a link but Mexi-Mac & Cheese. Brown your ground beef or turkey, remove & drain. Make your mac&cheese according to the directions on the box. Stir in a can of corn or black beans, salsa, and the ground beef. The Laughing clan vastly prefers the corn, and the kind of mac&cheese with the squeeze pouch.

Simple, cost effective, & few ingredient recipes:

Food Hero | Where Healthy Food is Fun, Fast, Tasty and Fits Your Budget

Recipes

Welcome to MyPlate Kitchen! | ChooseMyPlate

Steak/chicken/shrimp/fish fajitas are always good, especially if you can score some tortillas and avocados. There are tons of recipes online but if you can't find a good one I can give you one.

Couldn’t pass this thread up, lol.
Here’s my recipe for Goulash:

Goulash

• 1 Pd Hamburger/Turkey
  • Onion -1
  • Italian seasoning *
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 cans (1 large) diced tomatoes
  • Elbow Mac
  • Soy sauce-1tsp
  • 2 large cans tomato sauce
  • Cheddar cheese *
  • Garlic *
  • Ole Bay seasoning *
  • Salt/pepper *
    *Measurement determined by personal taste
Sams, is Pd Hamburger, mince?

Coming up on Food Network:

S24Quarantine Edition: Pantry Pulls

11:00a - 12:00p
Katie Lee Sunny Anderson Geoffrey Zakarian
(4/4)The hosts cook up delicious recipes using ingredients from their own pantries, in their own kitchens; Katie Lee makes her pantry pull pasta puttanesca; Jeff Mauro whips up a flavorful crispy skin salmon Provencal with charred red cabbage salad.

I'm making a gallon of yogurt in my slow cooker today. Although yogurt hasn't run out at my stores, this will prevent me from making unnecessary shopping trips and it saves money too. I haven't made it for several years but this is the recipe I have used in the past with great success: Make Yogurt in Your CrockPot at Home! - A Year of Slow Cooking

If any of you are low on food or trunk to stretch your supply, this is a great recipe
Best Loaded Slow-Cooker Potatoes Recipe-How To Make Loaded Slow-Cooker Potatoes—Delish.com
I guess I’m allowed to post it as I’ve seen a few other recipes and grocery lists.
Hopefully all of us will have freshly stocked stores soon. My next trip will be before 5a.m., I’ll go one morning when I wake early & feel like dealing with it.

low on food or trunk? Lol. Obviously autocorrect hijacked my keyboard, I meant “trying”. I can’t wait to try a new recipe or two. Hope I can buy ingredients.

I am avoiding grocery stores so I have been going through our pantry and freezer to put meals together.

Our Fresh Thyme has early hours every Tuesday and Thursday where they open 2 hours early for law enforcement and emergency medical personnel only. So that is the only time I have been going inside a store. Fresh Thyme has been getting some fresh produce, which is nice.

The milk and dairy products are in short supply though. No eggs, butter, very limited amounts of cheese, no bread except their own bakery bread.

For anyone struggling to figure out what to make with what you have left in your pantry and fridge I like this website:
Supercook: recipe search by ingredients you have at home

You put in what you have and it gives you recipe suggestions from a bunch of different sites. You can choose key ingredients if you have items you want to use up first to prevent waste. You can choose a special diet or a certain type of recipe you want (dessert, dinner, etc) or search the recipes for a keyword. For example, if you want to find a recipe to make in your instant pot type "Instant pot" into the search and a bunch of suggestions will come up. There is also an app version for your phone.

Got plenty of eggs but no flour? I found a great two ingredient recipe for a chocolate brownie cake. You have to be really strict with the ratios in order to get the consistency of the texture right (you want a cake-y crumble, not too egg-y). But it's amazing how it tastes exactly like chocolate cake should taste.

The two ingredients are: eggs and chocolate chips.

2-ingredient Chocolate Cake Recipe by Tasty

I even managed it just using a hand whisk as I have no electric mixer.

My second batch wasn't so good because I didn't have enough chocolate chips. So it ended up tasting a bit more rubbery in texture. Hence my warning about ratios.

But the first batch was really delicious and hit the spot. With flour sometimes being hard to get during quarantine, you can still treat yourself if you can get hold of a bunch of eggs.

Enjoy!

One of my relatives (who passed away quite a few years ago) had grown up during the depression. She occasionally cooked recipes that were common during the depression when they weren’t able to obtain certain ingredients.

She used to make “Mock Apple Pie” which didn’t have any apples in it, but Ritz crackers and lemon juice were among the ingredients. If she had Ritz crackers going stale she would run them into “Mock” Apple pie.

Other recipes I remember were Poor Man’s Meat Loaf” and “Eggless Butterless Milkless Cake.”

Some of you might enjoy watching Great Depression Cooking with Clara on Youtube.

Here's one of her videos:

Clara was 91 in 2007 when the above video was posted. I'm fairly certain she has passed away by now (God bless her) but whoever maintains her youtube channel has suddenly been releasing new videos and there are tons of new comments on the old ones because of the pandemic.

Here's one released 2 weeks ago:

We're having unstuffed cabbage roll skillet for dinner tonight. I make mine similar to this: Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Recipe
Instead of buying a head of cabbage which I have to worry about sanitizing, I bought bags of coleslaw so I could wipe the bags down. The bagged coleslaw actually makes it very easy to throw this meal together. This is another one of those recipes that is very flexible on the sauce ingredients. If you don't have fresh onions or garlic, use 1 teaspoon of onion powder and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder. And just about any canned tomato product works. I've used jarred spaghetti sauce in a pinch before (but taste before adding any more seasonings if you use a seasoned sauce). This is comfort food and very hearty as it is but if you need to feed a large family (or you want to cook once and eat for a week) you can also serve the cabbage roll skillet mixture over rice.

I made a corn beef hash the other day which turned out pretty good. I pre-roasted pieces of potato, squash and zucchini in the oven (seasoned w salt and pepper, olive oil and a dash of balsamic dressing). Then sauteed some chopped onions, capsicum and spinach in the pan. Added a can of corned beef and a drained can of chickpeas. (It's the kind of recipe where you can add any leftovers like corn or other types of canned beans/legumes). Mixed it all together in the pan and heated it up for another 10 to 15 minutes.:D

Today at noon (Eastern) on Food Network:

Quarantine Edition: Pantry Pulls

The hosts cook up delicious recipes using ingredients from their own pantries, in their own kitchens; Katie Lee makes her pantry pull pasta puttanesca; Jeff Mauro whips up a flavorful crispy skin salmon Provencal with charred red cabbage salad.

I made rice pudding for the first time today using leftover rice from last nights dinner. I simmered it in milk with a little sugar and some almond extract for about 40 minutes. It tastes great but I have a question for experienced cooks. Is the rice supposed to stay in grains or should it be mushy? Mine is still in a grain form but it tastes good.

I’m not a very good cook so I hope this makes sense :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member