Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight I lit an outside wood fire and cooked sliced potatos, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes and peas all in one pan accompanied with a glass of wine and was serenaded by John Denver under the stars.
I thoroughly loved every minute of nature.

That sounds delicious and relaxing! John Denver's voice is always so beautiful and calming to me.

Dinner tonight was Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes using this recipe: Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes

I used smoked paprika instead of cayenne. I inadvertently left the chicken broth out of the marinade but it didn't need it. There was a lot of marinade already and I think if I made this again I would cut the marinade in half. That said, the flavor was amazing! I diced my potatoes in 1/2 inch pieces instead of just quartering them and I didn't have to do the extra broiling step at the end. My potatoes were perfectly cooked and had started to brown on top. I think if I make it with less marinade next time the potatoes will get crispy. I didn't bother to stir nor flip things in the middle of cooking and everything came out cooked just right after 45 minutes in the oven. This recipe is a keeper! :)

ETA: I steamed a bag of frozen green beans for a veggie side dish but a Greek salad of cucumbers and tomatoes would have been a perfect accompaniment. I can't wait until my garden is producing so we can have salads with our meals more often.

Last edited:
Dinner tonight was Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes using this recipe: Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes...

Pegasus Taverna in Detroit's Greektown has long offered the finest Greek cuisine in these parts. We haven't been for a while, but my absolute favorite dish on their menu is Chicken Lemonato: A tender marinated breast of chicken sautéed in a lemon, butter, wine, and oregano sauce. Served with a choice of rice or potato and vegetables.

Oregano doesn't agree with me in recent years, but I'd keep Tums handy just to enjoy Pegasus' lovely Lemon Chicken :)

Pegasus Tavernas – Food of the Gods – Food of the Gods

Just saw this recipe and it looks fun and tasty.

“Anything Goes” Pantry Cookies

Best Anything Goes Pantry Cookies Recipe - How To Make Anything Goes Pantry Cookies

.No matter what you might have lingering around in your pantry at this moment, this recipe will be here for you. If you love a classic chocolate chip cookie, keep it simple with chocolate chips and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt. But if you're fresh out of chocolate and still love a good salty-sweet combination, please scroll down for the "junk food junkie" cookie mix-ins: there is nothing better than the gentle, flaky crunch of a cheddary Goldfish set against the background of soft, chewy cookie dough. Want to eat cookies for breakfast? Try out the health-nut granola version where hearty oats, toasted nuts, plump raisins, and a small dash of wholesome seeds join together in cinnamon-y harmony.

Irish Soda Bread I

This is not a traditional soda bread recipe but it is so good! Very moist and flavorful. My family loves this without raisins. It makes two loaves so it can stretch for awhile. Good fresh from the oven, and you can wrap leftovers in foil and they taste great a day or two later. Yummy when sliced thick and toasted too.

I buy the sour cream at Aldi (usually around 70¢) so pretty inexpensive to make. Makes the house smell amazing when it's baking :)

Pandemic quandary. I took out a lb. of ground hamburger meat out of the freezer. What do I do with this valuable asset?

Make 3 hamburger patties for variety, or make a small batch of homemade spaghetti sauce? Oh, the basic decisions that we rethink while under stay at home rules and trying to extend our pantry while having variety of things to eat.

Hamburgers, spaghetti, hamburgers, spaghetti.... I still don't know.

Pandemic quandary. I took out a lb. of ground hamburger meat out of the freezer. What do I do with this valuable asset?

Make 3 hamburger patties for variety, or make a small batch of homemade spaghetti sauce? Oh, the basic decisions that we rethink while under stay at home rules and trying to extend our pantry while having variety of things to eat.

Which do you have more of? Hamburger buns or pasta?

I like to make the spicey mini meat balls because they freeze nice.
I can make 50 at a time but they disappear real quick 'cause the family will eat them cold.
A meat loaf? Can refreeze.

o/t
Had similar quandary recently and went for an old favorite-- hamburger steak,basically a hamburger with fried onions and gravy on top and served with mashed potatoes and carrots/peas on the side.

Which do you have more of? Hamburger buns or pasta?

So funny, I was randomly watching a cooking show on GMA yesterday. The chef was like, "Well, you can use tomato paste, or ketchup, or tomato sauce, or whatever you have at home.". Since when did we EVER hear a tv chef say something like that?!

I am planning on making ground beef soup today. There are lots of different recipes on the Internet: probably something to fit every pantry.

ETA: Changed panty to pantry.

So funny, I was randomly watching a cooking show on GMA yesterday. The chef was like, "Well, you can use tomato paste, or ketchup, or tomato sauce, or whatever you have at home.". Since when did we EVER hear a tv chef say something like that?!
There's also a tomato bouillon by Knorr. It can help you stretch the tomato products you use.

I am making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn tonight

My favorite thing to do with ground beef is make foil dinners. Beef patty, sliced onion, potato, carrots, salt and pepper. Serve with butter and ranch dressing. Don't judge. :)

Mix all up with fried potatoes, diced grilled onions, and sprinkle grated cheese on the top to melt.......Then invite me over to eat.......:D..........moo

Thank you for all of these delicious-sounding recipes. Much appreciated!:)

My go-to is a veggie chili or sometimes I saute (or roast on a baking sheet) red onion (or garlic), celery, carrot, red peppers with black beans (or chick peas) with cumin and olive oil! I mix this with rice I've already made - or by itself.

At times I scoop out a squash and bake it and then fill the middle with a bean conconction with rice, peppers, broccoli and a bit of feta cheese.

Beans are such a powerhouse of nutrients and I love the taste.

I also like scooping out peppers and filling them with cooked hamburger, onion, veggies and then top with melted cheese (for the calcium of course!)

I make variations from the Veggie Chili recipe from a favourite website of mine - Cookie and Kate (Cookie's the dog and Kate is the cook!)

Homemade Vegetarian Chili - Cookie and Kate

Last edited:

Very funny because I had the same thoughts/dilemma a few days ago. I decided on the spaghetti (with rice noodles) because I realized I didn’t have any fresh stuff to put on my burger, lettuce, tomato, etc. I use low carb almond flour tortillas instead of buns. I use these tortillas for everything. Pizza crust, sandwich wraps, tacos...I stocked my freezer up with those and lunch meat. I invested in some jarred “fixings” and “toppings” on my last order, different sauces, salsas, pickled stuff like bruschetta, tapenade, pesto, giardinera, that type of stuff. That way there is some variety and excitement in my lunch meat low carb tortillas haha. My “go to” has been various salsas, salsa verde, green chile, tomatillos, roasted red pepper...You can always have a little spark when you don’t have fresh produce. It comes in so handy to use when you’re out of onions, peppers, lime, garlic, etc. And it's shelf stable and economical. Yeah it can be vinegary but still, I realized it has the main ingredients with which I often cook. I buy the ones without chemicals, etc.

Ever since @Tbone144 talked about his/her homemade salsa, I’ve been on a salsa kick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez