Formal Sentencing - August 24 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Now I wonder....an act? I blew up the video clip and watched the first part. While the felon is standing listening to the Judge, his eyes blink a lot, but I do not see them darting back and forth like when the camera was directly on him and he knew it. I have a friend who blinks her eyes frequently like the felon did, it maybe more then normal but still okay, no illness. I did not see that darting up and down and all aroundlike before. Someone mentioned here on WS, maybe yesterday, that the felon 'may' be putting on an act with the darting eyes. The felon sat stoned face during trial but out of sight of the Jury and Judge he laughed and talked with his lawyers. I wonder which mental illness he read about darting eyes when he was doing his research. JMO and observation. Night all.

You posted "my" post before I got a chance! You are so right! I was going to say that his eyes looked normal -- thought he did blink his eyes a lot -- to me. No darting, etc. Kind of like the bulging eyes look that he had when his hair was orange.

When you think about it, how would you try to look "crazy" on your face when you want people -- who did not know you -- to think you are insane? Those bulging eyes would scare most children, IMO, and they would frighten adults as well. That was a mad-as-a-hatter look; so were the darting eyes. We have known all along that this man was no dummy. Anyway, it didn't help him out much did it? :D

I also felt a small amount of pity when the shooter was taken out. I think it was the clapping and jeering from the gallery. It didn't sit right with me. But I know he deserves to be punished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to say :tyou: to all who posted the tweets and what was happening in the courtroom!! Even though I didn't/don't post much, it was VERY much appreciated - and you guys are a wonderful bunch!! :grouphug:

Hope to see most of you on the next trial!!

:seeya:

I also felt a small amount of pity when the shooter was taken out. I think it was the clapping and jeering from the gallery. It didn't sit right with me. But I know he deserves to be punished.

I don't know maybe he thought they were clapping for him because of his 12 point value system status. He felt honored. I know one thing for sure that was the last time in his life he will be sitting in a room filled with lots of nicely dressed, normal law abiding citizens.

@thegoldpatrol: Weeks Before Aurora Attack, #theatershooting convicted murderer Had University On Edge http://t.co/JnbwJfHiH2

More than a month before James Holmes' rampage on a Colorado movie theater, the head of his neuroscience graduate program called a campus police officer with alarming information: Holmes had told his psychiatrist that he wanted to kill people to make up for his failure in science.

The call, never previously disclosed, came just after the psychiatrist expressed similar concerns to the same University of Colorado campus police officer. But newly released documents show the officer did little other than check to see whether Holmes had a criminal record and deactivate his campus access cards. And his psychiatrist declined to detain Holmes, who had revealed no specific targets or threats, because she thought it would only "inflame him."

The documents obtained by The Associated Press provide new details about the best chance authorities had to stop Holmes before the July 2012 theater massacre. They also show how hard it can be to predict who will turn violent, even when they've displayed warning signs, experts say.

There's no reliable way we can identify those few who will pick up a gun and start shooting people from the vast number who might seem odd or unusual or even scary," said James Alan Fox, a Northeastern University criminologist who has studied and written about mass killings. "You can't predict it. Did they do everything they could have? That's another question."
A judge last week sentenced Holmes to life in prison without parole for murdering 12 people and trying to kill 70 more after jurors couldn't agree that he deserved the death penalty.
The documents, released by the University of Colorado and prosecutors in response to open-records requests by the AP, provide the fullest look yet at how university officials handled concerns about Holmes, who dropped out of the prestigious program a month before the attack. A longstanding gag order lifted at the end of Holmes' trial had prohibited officials from releasing the documents or speaking publicly about the case.

You can read the remainder of the article here:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55e6b41ee4b0b7a9633ad834?utm_hp_ref=tw

@thegoldpatrol: Weeks Before Aurora Attack, #theatershooting convicted murderer Had University On Edge http://t.co/JnbwJfHiH2

More than a month before James Holmes' rampage on a Colorado movie theater, the head of his neuroscience graduate program called a campus police officer with alarming information: Holmes had told his psychiatrist that he wanted to kill people to make up for his failure in science.

The call, never previously disclosed, came just after the psychiatrist expressed similar concerns to the same University of Colorado campus police officer. But newly released documents show the officer did little other than check to see whether Holmes had a criminal record and deactivate his campus access cards. And his psychiatrist declined to detain Holmes, who had revealed no specific targets or threats, because she thought it would only "inflame him."

The documents obtained by The Associated Press provide new details about the best chance authorities had to stop Holmes before the July 2012 theater massacre. They also show how hard it can be to predict who will turn violent, even when they've displayed warning signs, experts say.

I wish I knew how to feel about this. Hindsight is 20/20, they say, but let's just ignore the crazy thing because saying something might piss it off? Okay then. Mental illness is always the excuse for people like it. Oh it's sad innocent people died, but the thing is ~sick~ and it needs our pity and compassion. It's the REAL victim here. It needs treatment, not punishment. It didn't commit this crime, its illness did. It must be nice to be a person for whom mental illness serves as a shield, instead of a guaranteed death sentence. The notion that someone like me is in more danger than a thing that actually went out and hurt people is a hard pill to swallow. Not to get too political, but considering how indiscriminate mental illness is, it's funny how the overwhelming percentage of mass shooters are white men. And how we're the only country that has this problem. The rest of us manage to get by without killing a bunch of people. Weird. Almost like it's an excuse for them or something.

Mind you, I do believe the thing suffered from mental illness, but I don't buy for a second that it was the cause of the thing's actions. That was a choice it made on its own, and it had every intention of living the rest of its miserable life in prison. It's a shame it gets to do that. Once again, I really do wish it was dead. Then again, who knows how I would feel had it been gunned down at the same time as my dear friend AJ and those poor other people. Or if it had killed itself. I can't say that it would be more healing. Nothing can be changed now. The brother of one of the victims mentioned that $5 million, was it, was spent on the trial, and imagine what we could have done for mental health with that money. Even if the trial hadn't happened, I seriously doubt that money would have been put towards mental illness.

There's always the pattern. Something terrible happens. People mourn. Some blame gun control. Some blame mental illness. People fight. Terrible thing blows over. Nothing changes. Repeat. Again. And again. And again. There's always talk when something goes wrong, and little ever seems to come of it. Conversations need to continue even when something isn't going wrong. Though in this country, there's a shooting every five minutes. More than just the people directly impacted have to do something. Otherwise nothing will change until the majority of America has been impacted by something as terrible as this. It's not something you want to endure. I hope there will be real change instead of just talk. I really do. There is no changing the past. There is no saving AJ or the others. There is no bringing them back. The trial is over now, as is the sentencing. I don't want anyone to go through what I have. I hope someday, someday soon, that won't feel like a silly, impractical thing a child would wish for at 11:11.

Ah, the things that separate us from that thing. It's loathsome, yet still so important. A lot has happened, in addition to losing AJ. Things in the country, things personally... I'm kind of a mess, to be honest. But as much as I really hate it sometimes, and as hard as it is, I am still glad I have some humanity left in me.

Now for something completely different! There's this time limit people assign to you when grief strikes. Six months. Eight months. Maybe get a little tearful on the first anniversary and the first birthday without him, but after that, you're supposed to move on. Nothing more than a twinge of regret or a wistful sigh, especially for someone like me. I was almost there that night, but close only counts in horseshoes as they say. AJ was my friend, but we weren't best friends. Someone like me should be more than healed by now, but truth be told, I'm still in the process.

The comments in the aftermath were vicious.

"I would tell you he's in a better place, but he's not. He's just dead." (First thing said to me the Monday after it happened.)
"It was a hoax by the government to take away guns from people like me." (Second thing said to me the Monday after it happened.)
"It's so annoying to go on twitter right now. No offense, but all of my friends keep talking about that AJ kid. He didn't even go to our school, so what's the big deal?" (AJ was the sort of person who touched the lives of hundreds. He knew people from everywhere.)
"Only cowards wouldn't go back to the theatre. I'm not the sort of person who lets things like that hold me back." (A month after it happened.)
"I've made my peace with it. I don't want to hear about it anymore." (Also a month after it happened)

I could go on and on. For someone like me, there wasn't a lot of room for grieving and processing. I wasn't supposed to be too sad then, and certainly not now. With a smile on my face and a thick layer of humor in my voice I would say, "my friend was murdered." And people would make an insensitive comment and change topics as if I hadn't said anything. I wasn't allowed to be any other way back then, and especially not now. I'm not supposed to cry anymore. This isn't supposed to still be so surreal to me. My PTSD isn't as valid or earned as the others are. It was hard on its own, and internalizing it has only made everything worse. I have... major depression, persistent depression, social anxiety, generalized anxiety, ADD, and PTSD. I'm a lemon, more or less. I was taught the hard way to keep everything to myself no matter how severe. So even though I've always had words, in case that wasn't obvious, I have never had a voice. Even with the shooting, it was all just internalized and I and my mental health deteriorated at an alarming rate, and rock bottom and I were friends for a while. I was trapped. I didn't have the skills to get out on my own, and there wasn't a hand around to help me. So I suffered. Alone. In silence. Perched carefully on the edge.

I only cried twice. I mentioned in my last post that a friend had called us during the movie. After asking where we were and if we were safe she said, "there's been a shooting at Century." The friend I had in the car with me put her on speakerphone. And Tammy said. "There's been a shooting at Century, and we don't know many, but there are-people are dead. The count is at 10 right now." We then spent the rest of the car ride listing the people we knew was there. Percussion, choir, the seniors (we called the people in the class above us, who graduated in 10 the seniors, even when they weren't), people from middle school, on and on. And I cried. And cried. Not a night I'll ever forget. I remember curling my hair that night, and I was wearing a cute new dress. I remember not being able to speak when I called my dad from outside my friend's house. Lauren took the phone from me and spoke to him. She said, "Mr. X? So we're fine, but there's been a shooting a Century. We weren't there. We were downtown, and we're perfectly safe at my house right now." I insisted I could drive, but he told her he'd come pick me up. Smart, considering I was in complete hysterics. I don't wear my shoes when I drive, so I was barefoot when my friend took me inside. I remember how cold the sidewalk was. And it was dirty. We went in the living room, and turned on the TV, and there was Century on the news. But I won't bore you with a complete recount of that day. The second time I cried was when I sat down in the living room with my laptop and heard the first verdict read. Only crying twice means I still have a lot of tears to shed that I couldn't back then. I can now. And even though the pain is immense, I'm glad.

Anyway, I say all of this to thank all of you. I have read every single post here, in every thread. Even if I didn't post during, it was good for me to have a place to go to where the event was still considered... relevant? At least, emotionally relevant. I was inside the bubble and told not to feel. So to lurk around people who were outside of the bubble and expressing anger and grief and confusion, with a plethora of opinions and point of views was extremely validating for me. Extremely helpful for me. While I was here, I wasn't expected to live on as if nothing happened. I was able to feel in real time, even though it happened so long ago. Funny that that the validation I received was from the people whose worlds didn't change, those who were able to pack up with the news vans and move on, instead of the ones left here scarred. I don't feel as blocked emotionally, and I while I still have a ways to go until I'm "healed", I do feel like maybe now I can actually start the grieving process properly, as I should have been able to do when it happened. So thank you. Everyone, thank you. :heartbeat::heartbeat:

Albania: sending you (((hugs)))...

Avaynia -- Bless your broken heart. I appreciate the humanity you just shared with us with your amazing post. Your use of "it" was so, so powerful and descriptive. Irreplaceable. Special. Loving. Talented. Sweet. Loved by many. How many things can one say about one so special as AJ? Friends, true friends, are so rare and so precious. So many broken hearts, and yes, no one who knew and loved any of the 12 has used up all his or her tears. And sometimes they come at the least expected time -- while you're driving the car to the grocery store. While you're laughing at a TV comedy show. While you're jogging or exercising or peeling a potato. You never know when it will come.

Thank you for giving us part of yourself. I will keep praying for you and so many others who still have all those tears and who always will.

Please don't take this as trite because it is meant with all sincerity. From Dr. Seuss:

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Avaynia -- Bless your broken heart. I appreciate the humanity you just shared with us with your amazing post. Your use of "it" was so, so powerful and descriptive. Irreplaceable. Special. Loving. Talented. Sweet. Loved by many. How many things can one say about one so special as AJ? Friends, true friends, are so rare and so precious. So many broken hearts, and yes, no one who knew and loved any of the 12 has used up all his or her tears. And sometimes they come at the least expected time -- while you're driving the car to the grocery store. While you're laughing at a TV comedy show. While you're jogging or exercising or peeling a potato. You never know when it will come.

Thank you for giving us part of yourself. I will keep praying for you and so many others who still have all those tears and who always will.

Please don't take this as trite because it is meant with all sincerity. From Dr. Seuss:

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

You said everything I wanted to say but alas on my kindle

(((Avaynia))) What a deep, moving post. Thank you SO much for sharing all of that with us. Huge Warm Hugs.. and Blessings to you and all of those close to you. My Heart and My Prayers go out to you!!

Thanks for for the well wishes, everyone. I really appreciate them.

This makes me sick. Not surprised. Women have sent him close to $5,000.00. I just saw this on the news. He will get more in prison including contact visits. This is why I wanted DP

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/0...ers-sent-to-colorado-theater-shooter-in-jail/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-james-holmes-letters-support-20150903-story.html

I remember the first time I found out about his fangirls. I was on Tumblr, of course, and it was purely by accident. Not only did it trigger a panic attack, but I also actually threw up because it was so disgusting. Girls from out of state taking a trip to the theatre like it's fing Disneyland. It got what it wanted. Wonderful. I could very easily replace the entirety of my vocabulary with expletives, but I probably shouldn't.

I do agree that the judge did a good job. But. You know. This is one of the moments where I honestly don't understand how someone could look at this situation and say our legal system shouldn't be criticized and that just because we don't agree with the verdict doesn't mean justice wasn't served. Because this isn't justice.

Women who obsess about serial killers/mass murderers really shock me. They could, easily, be the next killer's victim.

I'm currently reading "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule because I've considered pursuing a career in true crime writing. (The research I've done about making that decision advises you to read a lot of books written by true crime authors, and Rule is considered one of the best).

Not only have I learned how little I actually knew about Ted Bundy, I've also learned about the ungodly number of "fans" he had in prison, and even still today...

It seems so unbelievable and irrational to me that people like that even exist. Yet, it happens all the time. I wonder if there have been studies done about why that is... maybe I'll research that now.

Thanks for for the well wishes, everyone. I really appreciate them.

I remember the first time I found out about his fangirls. I was on Tumblr, of course, and it was purely by accident. Not only did it trigger a panic attack, but I also actually threw up because it was so disgusting. Girls from out of state taking a trip to the theatre like it's fing Disneyland. It got what it wanted. Wonderful. I could very easily replace the entirety of my vocabulary with expletives, but I probably shouldn't.

I do agree that the judge did a good job. But. You know. This is one of the moments where I honestly don't understand how someone could look at this situation and say our legal system shouldn't be criticized and that just because we don't agree with the verdict doesn't mean justice wasn't served. Because this isn't justice.

So sorry for your pain. It must be very difficult for you. I was sick with the verdict too. Honestly, I think it could have been one of these fangirls or a person against the DP that lied to get on the jury purposely to hang it. Our one lone stealth juror. I don't care what the judge said it would be no problem for an individual to sit on that jury for months if they had a purpose. I believe it was that stealth jurors goal/intent or that person would have deliberated.

Women who obsess about serial killers/mass murderers really shock me. They could, easily, be the next killer's victim.

I'm currently reading "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule because I've considered pursuing a career in true crime writing. (The research I've done about making that decision advises you to read a lot of books written by true crime authors, and Rule is considered one of the best).

Not only have I learned how little I actually knew about Ted Bundy, I've also learned about the ungodly number of "fans" he had in prison, and even still today...

It seems so unbelievable and irrational to me that people like that even exist. Yet, it happens all the time. I wonder if there have been studies done about why that is... maybe I'll research that now.

Lol. I just started that book too.

Bundy was one scary man! Loved that book by Ann Rule. He had everyone fooled--you name it not one could believe he was capable of doing the murders. I still blame him in part to knowing crime did happen in my little world-----still remember car breaking down in front of BPD and running into their building and wanted to use a phone and them asking for money for call.....We were girls and fit what he was grabbing. I had forgotten that he was sentenced to the electric chair....I think he got what he deserved---(think he deserved more--but I wouldn't want to be executed)

They released pictures of shooters/that guys apartment. They are clearer than what we viewed. Eerie looking at them and their potential they had. Shiver

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back