Former Penn State President Graham Spanier has been charged with several counts

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gotcha. Very possible, and I doubt they will do any time anyway. However, knowing their careers and their lives are forever ruined makes me quite happy.

Gotcha. Very possible, and I doubt they will do any time anyway. However, knowing their careers and their lives are forever ruined makes me quite happy.

Ah, no felony conviction, Schultz and Curley get their pensions. Spanier doesn't it, because he'd still be a tenured professor; he can retire, however.

Ah, no felony conviction, Schultz and Curley get their pensions. Spanier doesn't it, because he'd still be a tenured professor; he can retire, however.

Didn't he loose tenure when he was fired? I would assume he did. That's how we would operate on my campus: you are fired, you loose tenure.

sorry, he is on leave. Thought he had been fired. My mistake. Penn State keeps building shame.

This is super weird - I cannot find him in any salary database. All salaries for public higher ed employees are public. Hmmmm. :banghead:

That is his salary as a professor. Further, PSU is "state related," and not truly "public."

CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA GOTHIC

<Mod Snip>

This is a bit convoluted, but it is related.

Today the Superior Court of PA overturned the conviction of Monsignor William Lynn. He was convicted in the Philadelphia priest sex abuse case, but he was not a molester. He was found guilty of Endangerment (and conspiracy to endanger) for putting the actual molester into situations where he could molest again.

The decision is here: http://media.philly.com/documents/lynndec.pdf

The Court ruled that, because Lynn did not directly supervise the children, he could not be found guilty of endangerment. While there is another appeals court, the PA Supreme Court, this decision may be appealed. The Superior Court has statewide jurisdiction and its decisions are binding on the lower courts, unless it is appealed.

Spanier, Curley and Schultz are also Endangerment, but they had no direct supervision of a child. It is possible that, if the Superior Court decision stands, that one of the Endangerment charges and one of the conspiracy charges will be dropped, if this decision stands. There would still be perjury (which has to do with Baldwin's testimony), conspiracy to commit perjury, both felonies, obstruction and a related conspiracy (misdemeanors), and failure to report (a summary offense). There is also a felony endangerment based on interfering with the reporting the incident.

As I noted before, the decision in the Monsignor William Lynn case will impact the PSU trials. The Supreme Court is hearing the case: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/05/monsignor_william_lynn.html#incart_river_default

Ugh! What are they waiting on?

By the way, I read that Corbett met with a special prosecutor. I haven't been following the race. Are you still guaranteeing a victory?

No, Wolf has pulled ahead by 25 points. PSU is not the problem. Corbett basically has been unable to do anything, though "fracking" is not a big issue.

No, Wolf has pulled ahead by 25 points. PSU is not the problem. Corbett basically has been unable to do anything, though "fracking" is not a big issue.

If he loses by 25 points, then he had bigger problems than PSU. However, I thought his re-election was doomed, regardless. A Republican candidate who can't win the vast majority of Penn State football fans starts behind the eight ball.

My main interest, once the election is over, is to look at his performance in Centre County. Also, to compare his numbers to other Republicans in statewide elections in PA.

Below is an interesting article from the Daily Kos. What I find so amazing is that Daily Kos writers always believe Democratic candidates win because they were sufficiently liberal; they seldom credit a victory to other factors.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/22/1301158/-PA-GOV-One-county-shows-why-Tom-Corbett-is-doomed#

One county shows why Tom Corbett is doomed

Have you ever, in your life, seen a reverse drop-off like that? A thousand in his own party writing in someone else, and another thousand voters also refusing to acknowledge that race at all as demonstrated by the undervote relative to the legislative races?

I should probably mention something else: Centre County is the home of Penn State University.

Snipped:

If he loses by 25 points, then he had bigger problems than PSU. However, I thought his re-election was doomed, regardless. A Republican candidate who can't win the vast majority of Penn State football fans starts behind the eight ball.

Not necessarily. A number of alums are Democrats and some alums are quite conservative. Interestingly, Rob McCord, the state treasurer who is party to the Corman suit, came in a distant third, losing by more 40 points to Wolf (#2, Schwartz, was about a point ahead of him). Wolf has also criticized Kane, publicly, and been silent on PSU.

Wolf was also possibly the most conservative Democrat in the race, which is relative. I would class him, overall, as a moderately liberal Democrat.

Here are Centre County primary results: http://centrecountypa.gov/index.aspx?nid=242

The abstention/write-in rate was about 34%, which is huge, but not the biggest I've seen in Centre County, in terms of percentages. :) (see the 2009 Republican Primary.)

My main interest, once the election is over, is to look at his performance in Centre County. Also, to compare his numbers to other Republicans in statewide elections in PA.

I would expect Centre County to be about 38-62 to 40-60 Corbett/Wolf, if the race does not change. I really cannot find a way for Corbett to win Centre County.

The latest Quinnipaic Poll put it at 19 points; the 25 point lead was PPP, and Rasmussen had it at 20 points, to give you a range.

There have been a lot of sealed filings on the docket of the PSU 3, especially Spanier. One is from the judge.

I suspect we might see some movement next week, but that is me reading tea leaves.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back