Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
1689204151813.png
French gendarmes taking part in the search operation, which has now been called off. Photograph: Nicolas Tucat/AFP/Getty Images

'A massive air and land search for a toddler missing for four days in a hamlet in the French Alps has been called off, with investigators saying the focus will now shift to the evaluation of evidence already gathered.''

''The terrain in the search zone is hilly and craggy with many streams, and the region has been hit by a heatwave, with temperatures of up to 35C (95F) in recent days.

Dozens of police officers and soldiers, backed by dog teams and a helicopter, had searched 30 buildings, 12 vehicles and 12 hectares of terrain around Haut Vernet, as well as interviewing 25 people.''

"Investigators said the focus is now shifting to the evaluation of evidence already gathered."
However, he said, "the investigation into the causes of his disappearance will continue, notably through analysis of the considerable amount of information and elements gathered over four days".
This is sad to read. It must be a very difficult point in a missing investigation when you have to admit you no longer think a good outcome is possible. :(

Does this mean they have gone into recovery mode? :(

Likely recovery mode in every aspect ... the local terrain search, or a potential abduction.
In the scenario of an abduction, Emile could (possibly) still be alive. Although many abducted children are said to have been killed within the first 3 hours.

imo

Renarde, would you be able to translate some of the more salient points from the linked article please?
Here is a Google-translated snippet from the end:

According to our information, Émile was indeed not alone with his grandparents. Many uncles and aunts were present for this weekend at Haut-Vernet. In all, a dozen individuals were in the family home during the weekend without knowing precisely how many people were in the building at the time of Émile's disappearance.

I was able to Google translate some, and this is the result:

"This farmer has lived in the commune of Haut-Vernet for 43 years, even though he recently decided to move to the lower part of the village for health reasons. Pierre* was a municipal employee for a long time, president of the hunting federation of the sector and knows the territory like the back of his hand. "During the crash of the A320, it was I who took the gendarmes to the spot because I knew the place well," he said. Since the disappearance of little Émile, like many villagers, he has been confused. "A small child in a diaper who frolics" "I was downstairs, in the village, at the time of the disappearance, but since then, I have been talking to the gendarmes and the inhabitants. It's a completely crazy story. We can't understand", blows the resident who knows little Emile's family well. "People without history. We often meet when they hike, bike or horseback," he says. For their part, Dédé and his wife, inhabitants of Haut-Vernet, still remember having seen Émile, just before his disappearance. "It was in the morning, a few hours before he disappeared. A small child in diapers who frolics, as we have already seen many," they recall. About the family of little Emile, Dédé assures that they are "good people. Very religious and practicing with an exemplary education". "They searched everything in the houses, even the freezers," says Pierre. “With everything we have done, if the little one was still there, we would have found him. So there are no longer 36 solutions: kidnapping or an accident,” says the villager."

Last edited:
I was able to Google translate some, and this is the result:

"This farmer has lived in the commune of Haut-Vernet for 43 years, even though he recently decided to move to the lower part of the village for health reasons. Pierre* was a municipal employee for a long time, president of the hunting federation of the sector and knows the territory like the back of his hand. "During the crash of the A320, it was I who took the gendarmes to the spot because I knew the place well," he said. Since the disappearance of little Émile, like many villagers, he has been confused. "A small child in a diaper who frolics" "I was downstairs, in the village, at the time of the disappearance, but since then, I have been talking to the gendarmes and the inhabitants. It's a completely crazy story. We can't understand", blows the resident who knows little Emile's family well. "People without history. We often meet when they hike, bike or horseback," he says. For their part, Dédé and his wife, inhabitants of Haut-Vernet, still remember having seen Émile, just before his disappearance. "It was in the morning, a few hours before he disappeared. A small child in diapers who frolics, as we have already seen many," they recall. About the family of little Emile, Dédé assures that they are "good people. Very religious and practicing with an exemplary education". "They searched everything in the houses, even the freezers," says Pierre. “With everything we have done, if the little one was still there, we would have found him. So there are no longer 36 solutions: kidnapping or an accident,” says the villager."
I feel like I'm missing a lot of the meaning between my bad French and the dubious translation. For example what does it mean to be "people without history"? No criminal record? No local roots? "A completely crazy story"--is that incredulity that a child could disappear into nowhere, or is it . . . suspicion that something in what they've been told is fake?

I feel like I'm missing a lot of the meaning between my bad French and the dubious translation. For example what does it mean to be "people without history"? No criminal record? No local roots? "A completely crazy story"--is that incredulity that a child could disappear into nowhere, or is it . . . suspicion that something in what they've been told is fake?

The jist of the account is that the family is not under suspicion by the community who know them.

I have now Google translated the following extract from this linked article (from 10 July 2023):

"How did the boy escape the supervision of his grandparents? Emile would have been awakened from his nap at 5 p.m. by his grandparents, who are hosting him "for a week or 15 days of vacation", with other children aged between 14 and 16, according to François Baliques, the mayor of Le Vernet. The couple then left to load their car, to go on an excursion with the 2 and a half year old boy. "When they wanted to take Émile to take him away, a quarter of an hour after waking him up from his nap, they noticed that he was no longer there", adds the elected official of the town. “There is no gate. The children are free in the villages, there is no danger, underlined the city councilor on Sunday. It is a quiet village. There are just tourists who come to do a walk." "He's walking well, so he was able to do some distance," he added on BFMTV. The grandparents were heard by the investigators to refine the work of the relief workers."
Disparition du petit Emile : les questions qui se posent alors que l'enfant de 2 ans et demi n'a toujours pas été retrouvé

I have now Google translated the following extract from this linked article (from 10 July 2023):

"How did the boy escape the supervision of his grandparents? Emile would have been awakened from his nap at 5 p.m. by his grandparents, who are hosting him "for a week or 15 days of vacation", with other children aged between 14 and 16, according to François Baliques, the mayor of Le Vernet. The couple then left to load their car, to go on an excursion with the 2 and a half year old boy. "When they wanted to take Émile to take him away, a quarter of an hour after waking him up from his nap, they noticed that he was no longer there", adds the elected official of the town. “There is no gate. The children are free in the villages, there is no danger, underlined the city councilor on Sunday. It is a quiet village. There are just tourists who come to do a walk." "He's walking well, so he was able to do some distance," he added on BFMTV. The grandparents were heard by the investigators to refine the work of the relief workers."
Disparition du petit Emile : les questions qui se posent alors que l'enfant de 2 ans et demi n'a toujours pas été retrouvé
And we have also learned he was not there with just grandparents and two teenage relatives, but several aunts and uncles, siblings of his mother. Who was really in charge of him? Was he going somewhere with just the grandparents and no one else noticed him dash off, if he did?

The quote above is interesting: “there are just tourists who come to do a walk.” Perhaps a hiker came across him and things went badly from there?

And we have also learned he was not there with just grandparents and two teenage relatives, but several aunts and uncles, siblings of his mother. Who was really in charge of him? Was he going somewhere with just the grandparents and no one else noticed him dash off, if he did?

The quote above is interesting: “there are just tourists who come to do a walk.” Perhaps a hiker came across him and things went badly from there?
Possibly JerseyWasHome

I hope the Gendarmes have been able to establish an accurate timeline; because, reading what is being reported in the various Media, there seems to be differing interpretations on the timelines.

People "sans histoires" = people who don't ever cause trouble.

<moo>

That's quite a late time in the day for a nap for the child - I guess if they were going on a trip soon after they would be concentrating on getting packed.

Also if he woke up from a nap really refreshed - then he was possibly full of energy to go for a walk some distance away from the house.

I feel its pointing towards someone coming across him a bit further away from his house (tourist) and its not a good outcome. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14