Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like he was unsupervised for about 15 mins so thats quite a long time to wander
Even if it was only 15 minutes, I agree that he could have covered quite a bit of territory in that time ... especially with the sunset not occurring until about 4 hours later.

They have now called off the search (which has been vast) and hope of finding him alive. I would imagine that some people there would be still keeping a lookout for him.

With the information that has been forthcoming from his family and the public, and the checking/revealing of people's movements in the area, hopefully the Police are now narrowing down to who might be involved in his disappearance.

thinking about it being late for a toddler nap, maybe they were having a family celebration that evening or going for dinner and wanted him refreshed for the evening?
If Emile was put down for a nap at 3pm and woke at 5pm (2 hours) .... it is quite common for infants of that age to nap for 2 hours.

I am just wondering how much searching around the home was done before he was reported as missing? By the sound of it, the missing call was made quite early (which was great, to enable the Authorities to be in attendance within a short space of time.

Because Emile's surname and the Families' full names have not been included in the Media articles, I wonder why that is? Probably a good idea...to control online trolls.

thinking about it being late for a toddler nap, maybe they were having a family celebration that evening or going for dinner and wanted him refreshed for the evening?
My toddler is a few months older than Émile & that time of day for a nap sound pretty normal to me. We usually wake up around 8am to start the day, and he never naps until around 2-3pm. He'll wake up around 5-6pm in time for dinner. After that we have playtime, bath, and read books, which takes a few hours. Then he's ready to go to bed for the night.

Just my thoughts on the whole naptime thing.

That's quite a late time in the day for a nap for the child - I guess if they were going on a trip soon after they would be concentrating on getting packed.

Also if he woke up from a nap really refreshed - then he was possibly full of energy to go for a walk some distance away from the house.

I feel its pointing towards someone coming across him a bit further away from his house (tourist) and its not a good outcome. MOO
There are a lot of thick treed areas around the town, and I just have to wonder how far in each direction that the search was conducted. So easy to miss finding a small toddler, as we have seen in other cases. Plus they can go so far from home while walking. Was the search enough? I would want to continue looking with volunteers longer than was done.

Without thinking, someone did something to the little Emile, I wonder about the late time to start an excursion (as explained in one article), and I wonder, how much had to be packed for this event, when a toddler had time enough to disappear completely.

* Apologies for ‘shouting’ - that’s how WS pastes in header text from the article.

you can change the font size and colour
if you need pointers, lmk

Last edited:
I feel like I'm missing a lot of the meaning between my bad French and the dubious translation. For example what does it mean to be "people without history"? No criminal record? No local roots? "A completely crazy story"--is that incredulity that a child could disappear into nowhere, or is it . . . suspicion that something in what they've been told is fake?
Meaning- theyve never been a problem before

If Emile was put down for a nap at 3pm and woke at 5pm (2 hours) .... it is quite common for infants of that age to nap for 2 hours.

I am just wondering how much searching around the home was done before he was reported as missing? By the sound of it, the missing call was made quite early (which was great, to enable the Authorities to be in attendance within a short space of time.

Because Emile's surname and the Families' full names have not been included in the Media articles, I wonder why that is? Probably a good idea...to control online trolls.
This is typical for french/ many euro papers. I live about 3 hours north and it is what is done for all names.

3 pm? Pretty sure Emile napped after eating le goûter, afternoon snack for kids. Perfectly normal in France. I find it strange though they woke him before loading the car. Would be easier to load the car first and then woke your tot to put him in the car.

Without thinking, someone did something to the little Emile, I wonder about the late time to start an excursion (as explained in one article), and I wonder, how much had to be packed for this event, when a toddler had time enough to disappear completely.

I think it would have taken mere seconds for him to run out of their view and head off somewhere.

My child disappeared toward the back of a store in the time it took me to look at the keypad and type my debit card's PIN. I didn't know if she was inside the store or had gone out the doors toward the very busy pedestrian street. Within a few moments, I imagined how she could have already been whisked into a car and driven off.

I feel so bad for these grandparents who will have to live with this and they may be painfully judged. But they just deserve support and love.

This case is very upsetting. Is it correct that witnesses saw him on his own after he had left the grandparents house?

Did I read upthread that the police had received 1200 tips? That's incredible. This is a small village. How could there be so many tips, especially if some include eye witnesses who saw a young child walking alone. Did no one stop to find out why this child was out alone and provide some care and supervision for him until police could arrive, or walk him back to his home?

Last edited:

The mayor used the family name in an article I saw on Sunday evening posted by Midi Libre on Sunday afternoon.

It is a French article so unless your PC does it automatically, you will have to use google translate to flick it into English if you want to read the full thing.

It is under the section titled:

The mayor of Vernet upset​

Disturbing disappearance of Émile S., 2 years old: privileged accidental track, research device… what we know

This case is very upsetting. Is it correct that witnesses saw him on his own after he had left the grandparents house?
The details of that sighting would have to be crucial wouldn't they. If he wasn't found somewhere in that vicinity and he had kept on wandering, then possibly another witness has come forward with a sighting....but he hasn't been found, so suspicions building that someone is hiding some details.

There is also this article with the video at the top, which is referenced in the article I linked above.

Disappearance of Emile, 2 years old: "A hundred volunteers are collaborating with the gendarmes in this search", says the mayor of Vernet, François Balique

Towards the end of the video the mayor speaks about the family from around 1:56 onwards.

I have managed to put the audio through a translator and this is what it gave me (it's rough keep in mind):

"Orateur 1 (01:50)
I know the family well.

Orateur 3 (01:53)
Yes. Is this a family you know well, Mr. Mayor?

Orateur 1 (01:56)
Very good, very good, very good. Otherwise, a family, I'll say it quite normally, that supports Norbert who is a great father of children, many children with children who are married. And this little child was born of that marriage. Little Eric, two and a half years old."

Did I read upthread that the police had received 1200 tips? That's incredible. This is a small village. How could there be so many tips, especially if some include eye witnesses who saw a young child walking alone. Did no one stop to find out why this child was out alone and provide some care and supervision for him until police could arrive, or walk him back to his home?

All I can say is that I would've approached the child and made sure he had an adult with him or if not, made sure he didn't continue walking alone.

More than 50 police officers are searching an area in the Alpine hamlet of Le Vernet in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence for any clue of where the missing child Émile might be. The operation could last until 4pm today, local media report.

The final bid to find the little boy comes as it emerged that blood that was found on the front of a car in the hamlet where Emile disappeared five days ago is not human.

Detectives had sent the blood sample for scientific analysis to see if they might be linked to the missing child Émile but they found it came from an animal, reports CNews.

Today's search of a final plot of land is likely his heartbroken family's last hope that he might be found after detectives announced they would abandon their hunt for the boy.
1689241507722.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member