Found Deceased France - Émile S., 2, outside grandparent’s house, Le Vernet, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, 8 July 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so no bickering on the actual day - got it straight now. lol.

So the relevance of bickering a few days before seems not really pertinent not sure why they focused on that.

Unless they were sulking and keeping to themselves listening to music, reading rather than interacting.

Not really sure why they would have mentioned it if it wasn't on the actual day he went missing.

Sorry have no link to provide. Just saying if it was on the day it might mean he wasn't missed earlier because they were distracted. MOO

yes exactly my point

I've forgotten the name of the saint or whatever she was that mother was praying to, I know I read it today but I can't find it. i just want to check something? Anybody have it handy or happen to know whether any significant dates were mentioned in relation to her?
I'm just trawling at nothingness at the moment.

The quoted passages piqued my interest for a reason other than the dog. I'm struck by the villagers' description of the grandfather as a strict disciplinarian. People who know the family intimately over a long period said he would have reprimanded CS if he felt his son-in-law was being too lenient with Emile. I'm curious about the context for this assessment: why they mentioned it and why the media thought it was newsworthy enough to include.

Could an adult have punished a toddler too severely for a commonplace toileting accident or a tantrum? When we discuss the disappearance of a toddlers or preschoolers here on WS, it all too frequently turns out that an adult caregiver reacted to typical parenting challenges with discipline that ended in the child's death, sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally.

Has there been any reporting in France on police investigating the house and garden where Emile and his family were staying?

ETA: I am not sleuthing family members. I am commenting on what neighbors described in the article above. Perhaps there is something in the original that puts this in context and is therefore not relevant.

Last edited:
I've forgotten the name of the saint or whatever she was that mother was praying to, I know I read it today but I can't find it. i just want to check something? Anybody have it handy or happen to know whether any significant dates were mentioned in relation to her?
I'm just trawling at nothingness at the moment.
sister Benoïte Rencurel
Benoîte Rencurel

The exact quote, as I am in the Prions pour Emile group so can see the post, is:

"Veuillez prier la vénérable sœur Benoîte Rencurel, mystique des apparitions du Laus.
Le diable l'emmenait régulièrement dans la montagne pour la persécuter et les anges la ramenaient.
La maman d'Émile"

"Please pray for the venerable sister Benoïte Rencurel, mystic of Laus apparitions.
The devil regularly took her up the mountain to persecute her and the angels would bring her back.
Emile's mother"

Ooooh yes. Obvs can't post the link on WS, but I've heard there's a very well-researched series of blog pieces about the numerous twists and turns of the case over the years by someone (ahem) on this thread.
Man, that poor child. No justice whatsoever, so much violence.
idk but there's been plenty of parents who made a concerted effort to be seen and known, made appeals to the media and in the end were involved in the disappearance/murder of their child
Yes, very good point.
I’ve watched a documentary called “Who killed Little Grégory?” on Netflix some time ago.

It was chilling, particularly as it contained much genuine footage taken throughout the investigation, with all its twists & turns.

The press descended on the village in droves. The family & everyone involved were hounded throughout.
The lack of respect shown at the little boy’s funeral was disgusting & had me in tears for the family.
Definitely worth a watch if you can find it, perhaps on YouTube if not Netflix.

Having seen it I can fully understand why the French police have taken the measures they have in Èmile’s case!
Thank you, I'm going to watch it.

The quoted passages piqued my interest for a reason other than the dog. I'm struck by the villagers' description of the grandfather as a strict disciplinarian. People who know the family intimately over a long period said he would have reprimanded CS if he felt his son-in-law was being too lenient with Emile. I'm curious about the context for this assessment: why they mentioned it and why the media thought it was newsworthy enough to include.

Could an adult have punished a toddler too severely for a commonplace toileting accident or a tantrum? When we discuss the disappearance of a toddlers or preschoolers here on WS, it all too frequently turns out that an adult caregiver reacted to typical parenting challenges with discipline that ended in the child's death, sometimes intentionally, sometimes unintentionally.

Has there been any reporting in France on police investigating the house and garden where Emile and his family were staying?

ETA: I am not sleuthing family members. I am commenting on what neighbors described in the article above. Perhaps there is something in the original that puts this in context and is therefore not relevant.
Emile was a two year old baby. How on earth could anyone be too lenient on him? that place just seems odd to me really.

sister Benoïte Rencurel
Benoîte Rencurel

The exact quote, as I am in the Prions pour Emile group so can see the post, is:

"Veuillez prier la vénérable sœur Benoîte Rencurel, mystique des apparitions du Laus.
Le diable l'emmenait régulièrement dans la montagne pour la persécuter et les anges la ramenaient.
La maman d'Émile"

"Please pray for the venerable sister Benoïte Rencurel, mystic of Laus apparitions.
The devil regularly took her up the mountain to persecute her and the angels would bring her back.
Emile's mother"
thank you so much.
I googled her before but couldn't find much information, everything I read was extremely vague..
I'll try again now.

Because the media don't care if it's newsworthy, the more sensational they can make a story the better. Standard.

It's all he said, she said at this point. People like to insert themselves into these cases, for whatever reason. Again, standard.

sister Benoïte Rencurel
Benoîte Rencurel

La maman d'Émile"

Emile's mother"
May I add for info:

The very modern message of Benoite, Bishop di Falco stated, is "to live heart to heart with God in prayer, enter deeper into conversion where we are reconciled with ourselves, with others and with God, and live your mission where your life is, in everyday community and joy."

"Inevitably, after a search phase which yielded nothing, the investigators who know their job, and have learned, at least I hope, from their past mistakes, will not forget DNA. Then begins an almost classic investigation. They must have been interested in the first circle to see if behind masks of pain are not people who hide in order to sneer, as in the case of little Grégory. Afterwards, you have to check the inhabitants of the hamlet. It should go fast. Finally, we cannot neglect, and especially not, the possibility of a predator."

[...]

"To remove without leaving the slightest trace, from what I read in the newspapers, a 2-year-old boy in a tiny hamlet where everyone knows each other, unfortunately, requires a certain savoir-faire, or know-how. So we have to look in that direction as well."

"Inevitably, after a search phase which yielded nothing, the investigators who know their job, and have learned, at least I hope, from their past mistakes, will not forget DNA. Then begins an almost classic investigation. They must have been interested in the first circle to see if behind masks of pain are not people who hide in order to sneer, as in the case of little Grégory. Afterwards, you have to check the inhabitants of the hamlet. It should go fast. Finally, we cannot neglect, and especially not, the possibility of a predator."

[...]

"To remove without leaving the slightest trace, from what I read in the newspapers, a 2-year-old boy in a tiny hamlet where everyone knows each other, unfortunately, requires a certain savoir-faire, or know-how. So we have to look in that direction as well."

DNA.
There is no crime scene afaik.
There is no Emile.
Dramatic journalism.

Does anyone know whether, after the dogs lost the scent near the well in Haut Vernet, they were started again to search for it anywhere else? On the road to Vernet, for example?

It sounds as if the dogs did a lot of searching in that whole area.

Bloodhounds lead the search for missing French toddler Emile
Bloodhounds are renowned for their exceptional sense of smell and can track a scent more than 24 hours later, even if other people have used the area. The extraordinary capabilities of these dogs offer renewed hope by refocusing search efforts.

Dozens of police and soldiers backed by dogs and a helicopter had searched 30 buildings, 12 vehicles and 12 hectares of terrain around Haut-Vernet, as well as interviewing 25 people.
Investigators end search for two-year-old Emile

It sounds as if the dogs did a lot of searching in that whole area.

Bloodhounds lead the search for missing French toddler Emile
Bloodhounds are renowned for their exceptional sense of smell and can track a scent more than 24 hours later, even if other people have used the area. The extraordinary capabilities of these dogs offer renewed hope by refocusing search efforts.

Dozens of police and soldiers backed by dogs and a helicopter had searched 30 buildings, 12 vehicles and 12 hectares of terrain around Haut-Vernet, as well as interviewing 25 people.
Investigators end search for two-year-old Emile

What I'm considering is that he followed the road and the scent didn't survive there--less for it to cling onto, plus breeze and maybe traffic to sweep it away; left the road for an attractive place and rested/played there a while; decided it was time to return home but had a wrong sense of direction and perhaps took a 'short cut' across country; then went on and on at least until dark and after knowing he was lost, eventually travelling well beyond the search area. In this case the scent would stop at the edge of the triangle but might begin again when he left the road.

I also wondered whether the searches of fields and bushland were repeated, because he could well have been a moving target. I would think the streams if not fenced off would offer water and shade shelter to keep him alive beyond a couple of days.

Last edited:
What I'm considering is that he followed the road and the scent didn't survive there--less for it to cling onto, plus breeze and maybe traffic to sweep it away; left the road for an attractive place and rested/played there a while; decided it was time to return home but had a wrong sense of direction and perhaps took a 'short cut' across country; then went on and on at least until dark and after knowing he was lost, eventually travelling well beyond the search area. In this case the scent would stop at the edge of the triangle but might begin again when he left the road.

I also wondered whether the searches of fields and bushland were repeated, because he could well have been a moving target. I would think the streams if not fenced off would offer water and shade shelter to keep him alive beyond a couple of days.

I have been wondering about contamination of the scene. It sounds as if there may have been quite a few people searching for Emile for 30-45mins before the police were called. And after that it is not clear how much the scene was contained before the dogs arrived, along with hundreds of other searchers.

I have been wondering about contamination of the scene. It sounds as if there may have been quite a few people searching for Emile for 30-45mins before the police were called. And after that it is not clear how much the scene was contained before the dogs arrived, along with hundreds of other searchers.
Perhaps if the searchers were arriving from outside the hamlet, all coming along that road (Les Faisses?) Otherwise I'd expect the searchers to have focussed, and hence contamination to be higher, near to and just beyond the house. Yet that's where Emile's scent was found. I suppose it's difficult to predict especially by a non-expert outsider.

Perhaps if the searchers were arriving from outside the hamlet, all coming along that road (Les Faisses?) Otherwise I'd expect the searchers to have focussed, and hence contamination to be higher, near to and just beyond the house. Yet that's where Emile's scent was found. I suppose it's difficult to predict especially by a non-expert outsider.

Yes, I was thinking of your comment about the road, because I think lots of searchers came from all around and that main road (at the triangle) seems to be the one way to reach the hamlet.

The lady in the restaurant who said that someone came in and told them a little boy was missing, so they all went to search, was in a different nearby town.

The manager of the Bistrot in Le Vernet Marie-Laure told La Provence: “We were preparing for the evening service, when we were told the child had gone missing.
"We all went to see what we could do to help as quickly as possible.
Link

The restaurant is about 5 mins away.

a.jpg
Google maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics