Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dearest DanceCard:

Of course you have a right to an opinion and to express it. One of the thing WS prides itself upon is a civil discourse, regardless of whether or not posters agree. I've a minor in ancient history & religions, & there are times when I disagree with posters, even though, sadly, I've forgotten much of it. Since the domestication of emmer & einkorn wheat in the foothills of the Tauros & Zagros mountains, the Near East, ancient & modern, has been fought over. I doubt I'll ever see a change in my lifetime (baby boomer.) we should all be able to express our opinions in a snark-free zone, with utmost respect. At least one would hope.

To all of our European friends, is this a good idea, or not?

Hi Leah

I read that this morning. From your link it states

"The Dutch plan is separate from a French plan to introduce systematic border checks within the Schengen area as a security measure after the attacks in Paris last week.

The "mini-Schengen area" would include Austria, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, and would involve setting up transit camps for migrants outside those borders, a report in newspaper De Telegraaf said"

http://news.yahoo.com/dutch-government-floats-mini-schengen-idea-eu-partners-115634969.html

AFAIK this means no checks across borders in the listed countries above, so the extremists within this mini schengen can move freely twixt the 5. Transit camps where? France?

The Dutch plan is separate from a French plan to introduce systematic border checks within the Schengen area as a security measure after the attacks in Paris last week.

IMO Leah they need to accept that Schengen has failed, they need to go down the French route or just scrap the whole thing. ( UK were never part of it) AFAIk it's not true that one needs to scrap the EU if one scraps Schengen.

Fox News on now saying new Isis video threatens to blow up the White House and attack France again.
No link yet still reporting it.

Sorry!
On my iPad and it will not allow me to copy and past the link.
However the article is now up on Fox News website

Thanks for all the updates folks. Started to thank but gave up due to so many.

Hi Leah

I read that this morning. From your link it states

"The Dutch plan is separate from a French plan to introduce systematic border checks within the Schengen area as a security measure after the attacks in Paris last week.

The "mini-Schengen area" would include Austria, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, and would involve setting up transit camps for migrants outside those borders, a report in newspaper De Telegraaf said"

http://news.yahoo.com/dutch-government-floats-mini-schengen-idea-eu-partners-115634969.html

AFAIK this means no checks across borders in the listed countries above, so the extremists within this mini schengen can move freely twixt the 5. Transit camps where? France?

The Dutch plan is separate from a French plan to introduce systematic border checks within the Schengen area as a security measure after the attacks in Paris last week.

IMO Leah they need to accept that Schengen has failed, they need to go down the French route or just scrap the whole thing. ( UK were never part of it) AFAIk it's not true that one needs to scrap the EU if one scraps Schengen.

There is a woman that lives in Germany, she has a facebook page that I belong to, about celebrities, guilty pleasure, but she has been explaining to us about the refugee camp that has been set up across from her building. At first she was mad and complaining, but yesterday she had a very nice encounter with a young girl, and her dog, and they all got along very well. What she keeps saying is that there are a lot more men then women and children. Don't men need help as well? I understand that people are afraid of the fact some of the men may be terrorists, I get that, and listening to all sides, I understand what people are saying. As a side note, I was upset we weren't all getting together for Thanksgiving, but then realized, with different views, and some family not willing to listen to others, the meal would not end well.

There is a woman that lives in Germany, she has a facebook page that I belong to, about celebrities, guilty pleasure, but she has been explaining to us about the refugee camp that has been set up across from her building. At first she was mad and complaining, but yesterday she had a very nice encounter with a young girl, and her dog, and they all got along very well. What she keeps saying is that there are a lot more men then women and children. Don't men need help as well? I understand that people are afraid of the fact some of the men may be terrorists, I get that, and listening to all sides, I understand what people are saying. As a side note, I was upset we weren't all getting together for Thanksgiving, but then realized, with different views, and some family not willing to listen to others, the meal would not end well.

Hi Leah,

I watched a BBC "Newsnight" programme about the attacks and they did a piece about a Syrian family who were selected by the UNCHR to come to Scotland. ( By now they will have already arrived.) They had been refugees in Jordan for 2 years and there was no doubt they were a deserving family and yes there was an Uncle who needed surgery in the UK and a young male adult ( who wasn't allowed to work in Jordan) - the father of the family had been killed in Syrian. Apparently the population of Jordan had been boosted by 1/5th, as that country have taken in so many refugees.

Anyway it was very sad and moving.
I did also feel for them that they had to move to a country so alien (in the UK) but could see they thought they had no future otherwise - at least the kids could go to school in the UK and that was a key driver. Part of them did not want to leave Jordan.

Only thing that surprised me was the general UNCHR vetting procedure which didn't sound so rigorous but I couldn't say that for certainty - wasn't enough info. to base a firm opinion on.

For those that missed Friday Fan's post this morning regarding allowing suspected terrorists to purchase guns......

http://abcnews.go.com/US/individual...d-legally-purchase-firearms/story?id=35264669

Lawmakers have introduced bills over the years to try to prevent suspected terrorists from purchasing firearms and explosives. None, however, have passed because of strong opposition by the gun lobby.

The National Rifle Association which opposed previous bills, argued that the watchlist is too broad because it includes people who are still being investigated by authorities.

Speaking to my Belgian friends and frequently being in Holland and Belgium myself, yes.
Wanted to add that Belgium will be working on some kind of border check also.

Wondering how the European Roma communities feel about the refugees, are they sharing" camping spaces", are they afraid or welcoming of potential rivals for resources ?

BTW forgot to mention on that Newsnight programme, they interviewed the mayor for the region in Paris, she said that , in her opinion, that the French and even Europeans ( and I incl UK in that) may have to start living with the fear of terrorism as the Israeli's do currently and just get on with life knowing these things will happen as she couldn't see it being eradicated for many decades.

A sobering thought from her. Who knows if she is right....

BTW forgot to mention on that Newsnight programme, they interviewed the mayor for the region in Paris, she said that , in her opinion, that the French and even Europeans ( and I incl UK in that) may have to start living with the fear of terrorism as the Israeli's do currently and just get on with life knowing these things will happen as she couldn't see it being eradicated for many decades.

A sobering thought from her. Who knows if she is right....

I feel she is right, how exactly do you stop this. And even if you destroy ISIS to where they are unable to recruit and carry on, I'm afraid another group will spring up and be as bad or worse. How exactly do you stop evil, there will always be evil. They attack us, we attack them, it goes on and on.

Where has ISIS weaponry come from? Guess ....

Terrorists and weapons left over from NATO’s intervention in Libya in 2011 were promptly sent to Turkey and then onto Syria – coordinated by US State Department officials and intelligence agencies in Benghazi – a terrorist hotbed for decades.The London Telegraph would report in their 2013 article, “CIA ‘running arms smuggling team in Benghazi when consulate was attacked’,” that:

[CNN] said that a CIA team was working in an annex near the consulate on a project to supply missiles from Libyan armouries to Syrian rebels.

Weapons have also come from Eastern Europe, with the New York Times reporting in 2013 in their article, “Arms Airlift to Syria Rebels Expands, With Aid From C.I.A.,” that:

From offices at secret locations, American intelligence officers have helped the Arab governments shop for weapons, including a large procurement from Croatia, and have vetted rebel commanders and groups to determine who should receive the weapons as they arrive, according to American officials speaking on the condition of anonymity.

And while Western media sources continuously refer to ISIS and other factions operating under the banner of Al Qaeda as “rebels” or “moderates,” it is clear that if billions of dollars in weapons were truly going to “moderates,” they, not ISIS would be dominating the battlefield.Recent revelations have revealed that as early as 2012 the United States Department of Defense not only anticipated the creation of a “Salafist Principality” straddling Syria and Iraq precisely where ISIS now exists, it welcomed it eagerly and contributed to the circumstances required to bring it about.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/logistics-101-where-does-isis-get-its-guns/5454726

"We will fry you with [suicide] belts and explosives," the fighter said.

The second fighter addressed France, saying, "You not prosper and you will not last long. We have started by you and we will end at the so-called White House which we will turn into black with our fires."

I know they're evil, mean what they say, and we have to take them seriously, but when they use this kind of language I can't help but roll my eyes. They're going turn the White House black. Oooh, sick burn.

No pun intended.

FoxNews live reporting: Upcoming on Gretchen Carlson, a man was arrested at LAX airport this morning trying to board a JetBlue plane to NYC dressed as a pilot--details sketchy and trying to confirm. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills