Freddy Gray Verdict #2. Not Guilty

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would like to see any part of the DOJ report that is specific to these six officers. I have not seen any of these officers named in the DOJ report, which at this time leads me to believe the DOJ did not find the officers in the wrong.

A month after Gray's death, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake called for the Justice Department to do a civil rights investigation of the Baltimore Police Department in hopes of getting "sustainable and significant reform."

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/doj-to-release-investigation-into-baltimore-police/41122414

The mayor said the investigation had nothing to do with Gray's death.

"The timeline of my aggressive work to reform the Police Department, and to improve police-community relations predates the death of Freddie Gray," Rawlings-Blake said.

Sounds like it was in the back of her mind? but yet did nothing about it, then had to wait a month after FG's death to then ask the doj to come and look/investigate. Yet even after FG's death the doj did not step in until asked it seems. jmo

A month after Gray's death, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake called for the Justice Department to do a civil rights investigation of the Baltimore Police Department in hopes of getting "sustainable and significant reform."

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/doj-to-release-investigation-into-baltimore-police/41122414

"The timeline of my aggressive work to reform the Police Department, and to improve police-community relations predates the death of Freddie Gray," Rawlings-Blake said.
My understanding has been that the whole department was was being investigating including this case. Even though they say they did not ask for the investigation because of this case.
I may be proven wrong, but IMO if the DOJ found any of these six officers guilty of anything it would be splashed all over MSM. I have not seen the full report, but IMO the DOJ may have found violations in Baltimore, but that does not mean the specifically found these six officers in violation.
In the Ferguson case they found violations in the department but cleared the officer that shot Brown. Unless these six officers were part of the ones fired already because of the report then the DOJ investigation did not find them guilty of anything. IMO.

Lieutenant Brian Rice, one of the Baltimore police officers cleared in Freddie Gray's death, will receive more than $100,000 in back pay.

The city's Board of Estimates has been asked to approve a payment of nearly $127,000 dollars to Rice.

In July, it was reported that Caesar Goodson, who was driving the transport van when Gray was killed, would also be awarded nearly $88,000 in back pay.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/08/...grays-death-to-receive-127k-in-back/21448370/

Hopefully, the other 4 officers will soon be receiving their back pay.

How Baltimore’s Police Policy Led to Freddie Gray

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/how-baltimores-police-policy-led-to-freddie-gray/

Pretty damning. It's easy to see what enabled these officers to be so derelict in their duty, and how they got away with it. The problem with reform is that right now, police departments have to "agree" to reform. This should not be negotiable. LE has proven itself to be incapable and/or unwilling to initiate reforms. They won't police themselves, so who will?

"But most striking were the reasons behind the violations. Most stemmed from a police policy of targeting African-Americans for low-level offenses, Justice Department officials said in a report released on Wednesday. The practice enabled officer misconduct, eroded morale among police and devastated their relationship with the community, they said."

"Newark, for example, is the only other city that signed an agreement in principle to reform immediately after Justice Department officials announced it had found a pattern of unconstitutional policing. But it still took nearly two years to negotiate a consent decree, which it finally signed in March."

Police initiated killings need to be immediately investigated by an independent organization or Federal Agency. At least in Baltimore, I hope Freddy Gray's death won't have been in vain. I wish these officers could be sued in civil court. Such a travesty of justice.

You are correct. This investigation does not have anything to do with the criminal or civil investigation of the police officers involved in this case. I was reading the report from the DOJ and it does mention a few times, and the events after his death, but at the bottom of page 3 it says https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/just...ngs-investigation-baltimore-police-department The investigation did not examine
the actions of officers involved in Freddie Gray’s arrest on April 12, 2015, or the merits of any criminal or civil
proceedings connected to that incident.
– 3 –

How Baltimore’s Police Policy Led to Freddie Gray

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/how-baltimores-police-policy-led-to-freddie-gray/

Pretty damning. It's easy to see what enabled these officers to be so derelict in their duty, and how they got away with it. The problem with reform is that right now, police departments have to "agree" to reform. This should not be negotiable. LE has proven itself to be incapable and/or unwilling to initiate reforms. They won't police themselves, so who will?

"But most striking were the reasons behind the violations. Most stemmed from a police policy of targeting African-Americans for low-level offenses, Justice Department officials said in a report released on Wednesday. The practice enabled officer misconduct, eroded morale among police and devastated their relationship with the community, they said."

"Newark, for example, is the only other city that signed an agreement in principle to reform immediately after Justice Department officials announced it had found a pattern of unconstitutional policing. But it still took nearly two years to negotiate a consent decree, which it finally signed in March."

Police initiated killings need to be immediately investigated by an independent organization or Federal Agency. At least in Baltimore, I hope Freddy Gray's death won't have been in vain. I wish these officers could be sued in civil court. Such a travesty of justice.
The PBS article is very misleading. From the article: In fact, the DOJ found that the circumstances surrounding the death of Freddie Gray, who in April 2015 was chased by officers and suffered a severe spinal injury while in police custody, were among the routine practices of Baltimore police.
It never says in the report about the chasing of Freddy Gray. The closest it comes to saying that is mentioning the seatbelt procedures at the time of Freddie Grays death. https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/883366/download

Very long, in depth NYT article on Marilyn Mosby, and the fall out after the Freddie Gray case and failed prosecution of 6 officers. The dynamics between her and her husband's professional roles, their career ambitions, and the volatile discord between MM and the mayor, and police chief, are interesting.

Baltimore vs. Marilyn Mosby
In the midst of a national crisis of police violence, Baltimore’s state’s attorney gambled that prosecuting six officers for the death of Freddie Gray would help heal her city. She lost much more than just the case.
SEPT. 28, 2016

Yet over the last year and a half, the halo around Mosby has faded as her office failed to convict any of the police officers and instead produced three acquittals, and one hung jury — before deciding in late July to withdraw all remaining charges. She is now being sued for defamation by five of the officers she indicted and has become a go-to grievance for the voluble right, being subject to more or less constant assault on the conservative airwaves, accused of criminal misconduct by Donald Trump and featured on the cover of the police magazine Frontline under the headline “The Wolf That Lurks.” A steady barrage of racist hate mail and death threats still pours into her home and office. Nick Mosby has had an equally dispiriting year, having started and abandoned a campaign for mayor of Baltimore and, in the process, giving up his seat on the Council, where his term comes to an end this year. Critics often accuse the Mosbys of Clintonian ambition. A few weeks ago, Baltimore’s alternative weekly, City Paper, released its annual Best of Baltimore issue, declaring them “Best Failed Political Dynasty” and naming Marilyn “Best Don Quixote.”

In her first week on the job, she fired six prosecutors, setting off a round of hand-*wringing in the local media; since then, she has presided over a continuous outflow, with more than 60 prosecutors leaving over the last 21 months, which by my estimation is about five times the usual attrition. Mosby said that this is partly a consequence of reform. “Of course the amount of turnover is going to be higher than my predecessor,” she said. “Because I’ve challenged the status quo, and people are going to have a problem with that.”

Whether you agree that losing nearly a third of her staff is a sign of a vigorous shake-up in a calcifying agency or believe instead that it’s a tragic evisceration of a vital public office depends on your own inclinations. Suffice it to say that from the perspective of a cop, the replacement of so many veteran prosecutors with new attorneys has been frustrating. “They have seriously depleted the top end,” a police lieutenant with three decades of experience told me, “and the result is that nobody knows what they’re doing.” Add to that the festering resentment over Mosby’s decision to prosecute officers for the death of Gray, and it’s fair to say that the partnership between the police and prosecutors in Baltimore is broken.

Over dinner at my place, conversation with the Mosbys drifted between this and that, before turning to their political aspirations, once shared, now driven apart. Since the day they met at Tuskegee, they worked together for every ambition, helping to manage each other’s campaigns and careers. But within weeks of Marilyn’s inauguration, news reports began to imply that Nick was pulling the strings in her office. To blunt the accusation, Marilyn felt compelled to put distance between them. As the trials commenced and Nick ran for mayor, the distance widened. If her battle with the Police Department cast a shadow over his campaign, his campaign added fuel to the criticism that her prosecution was politically driven. “Had he run for mayor not now, but next time, ... ” she mused one evening as we sat in her corner office overlooking the dusky skyline. Her voiced trailed off, then she said, “But this is his dream, and you don’t ever want to be discouraging.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/02/magazine/marilyn-mosby-freddie-gray-baltimore.html?_r=1

Freddie Gray case: Judge allows malicious prosecution lawsuit against Mosby to proceed

A federal judge is allowing key parts of a lawsuit against Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby, brought by five of the six police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, to move forward.

U.S. District Judge Marvin J. Garbis ruled that claims including malicious prosecution, defamation, and invasion of privacy can move forward against Mosby and Assistant Sheriff Samuel Cogen, who wrote the statement of probable cause.

Mosby's attorneys had said she has absolute prosecutorial immunity from actions taken as a state's attorney. But Garbis noted that her office has said it conducted an independent investigation.

"Plaintiffs' malicious prosecution claims relate to her actions when functioning as an investigator and not as a prosecutor," Garbis wrote.

Freddie Gray case: Judge allows malicious prosecution lawsuit against Mosby to proceed

A federal judge is allowing key parts of a lawsuit against Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby, brought by five of the six police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray, to move forward.

U.S. District Judge Marvin J. Garbis ruled that claims including malicious prosecution, defamation, and invasion of privacy can move forward against Mosby and Assistant Sheriff Samuel Cogen, who wrote the statement of probable cause.

Mosby's attorneys had said she has absolute prosecutorial immunity from actions taken as a state's attorney. But Garbis noted that her office has said it conducted an independent investigation.

"Plaintiffs' malicious prosecution claims relate to her actions when functioning as an investigator and not as a prosecutor," Garbis wrote.

Good. Her actions were egregious and opportunistic and that's putting it politely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baltimore businesses destroyed during riots sue city officials for failing to prevent violence

Dozens of Baltimore business owners are suing city officials, including the police department and former Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, saying they mishandled the city's response to the rioting in 2015.

In a nearly 700-page complaint filed in federal court this week, more than 60 plaintiffs say city officials failed to prevent the looting and rioting that erupted after the arrest and death of Freddie Gray in April 2015, despite warnings the city would experience violence.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-rioting-lawsuit-20170621-story.html

Baltimore businesses destroyed during riots sue city officials for failing to prevent violence

Dozens of Baltimore business owners are suing city officials, including the police department and former Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, saying they mishandled the city's response to the rioting in 2015.

In a nearly 700-page complaint filed in federal court this week, more than 60 plaintiffs say city officials failed to prevent the looting and rioting that erupted after the arrest and death of Freddie Gray in April 2015, despite warnings the city would experience violence.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-rioting-lawsuit-20170621-story.html

They are going about it all wrong. They will lose. They should be suing the police for creating the violence, in the first place. The Supreme Court has already ruled that police do not have a duty to protect citizens.

Warren v. District of Columbia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stewsj
Back