GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryptic

Reaction score
What is known is that Ahmaud Arbery was shot and killed after a confrontation with two suspects. There are evidently two very different versions of what led to the confrontation and shooting:

Ahmaud Arbery case will go to grand jury - CNN

A. Ahmaud Arbery was jogging while black. He was then chased down and murdered pursuant to the racist "a black male is a suspected criminal" line of "thinking".

B. Arbery resembled a burglar who had struck the neighborhood in the past / was in the act of fleeing from an attempted burglary. He then attacked an individual who tried to stop him and was shot only after repeatedly trying to get control of a weapon.

It appears that even with the suspects own admission, the chase was initiated because Arbery simply peered into a home under construction. In Georgia, private citizens, can only make citizens arrests for felonies that they have exact knowledge of.

Thus, even giving credence to possibility "B", the suspects had no lawful ability to detain Arbery.

IMO, this case is vitally important to Georgia as the olde school notion that one class of citizens has extremely broad rights of "self defense" over other classes of citizens and that they have some kind of endowed arrest / command authority over this group needs to end.

In short, these two men need to be prosecuted..... .

___

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, Brunswick, 23 Feb 2020 *MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Last edited by a moderator:
For Monday, Nov. 8th continued...

Brian G. Buckmire
@BuckEsq
·
8h
#KevinGough made a point to say that #WilliamBryan only said the word “block” 6 times in the transcript. On re-direct the Prosecution pointed out that #Bryan also used words like “cut off,” “angle” and “cornered” to describe what he said he did to #AhmaudArbery

Defense made strong arguments that the officer did not make any acts towards arresting the #McMichaels or #Bryan. #Prosecution is pushing back on that in their direct by saying the report doesn’t contain everything that happened that day, that’s why police upload body camera

At the end of the officers body worn camera the officer goes back and brings #WilliamBryan to speak.. #Gough is getting up for re-cross

Gough asks the officer to check the 52 page transcript to see where #WilliamBryan says “angled at” … the officer is searching. The Prosecution stipulates that “Bryan never said ‘angled at’ to this witness” but he did say “cornered and blocked”

“I mean if the guy would have stopped to figure out what was going on, he was obviously up to something” the last line in the re-cross of this witness

Two witnesses are ready for today. Adam Jackson and Officer Brandenberry. Because Brandenberry is a longer witness, the prosecution believes because they have seven pages of direct, that witness will be saved for tomorrow.

Apologizes. Adam Jackson is, Officer Adam Jackson. Oddly enough they don’t always use the police officer’s title when speaking about them to the Court. Something I’m not use to

Officer Jackson is a patrol officer with the Glynn County Police department since 2019.

Officer Jackson was tasked with canvassing the area for witnesses and video. He spoke with neighbors and collected a video on a jump drive later from a Mr. Perez. He held onto the jump drive till investigators arrived. He put up crime scene tape.

Prosecutor seems a little frustrated when asking the officer if he reviewed his body worn camera. The prosecutor asks if the jury can step out while they authenticate the video. The defense attorneys however stipulate to the video’s authenticity, keeping things moving along

Officer Jackson body worn camera plays. He’s talking to a neighbour who said he saw nothing but may have video. This officer only interviews one person. He doesn’t stay at the scene long, because it was a “busy day” and his supervisor to him to go report to other incidents

link: https://twitter.com/BuckEsq

Tuesday, November 9th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9am ET) - GA – Ahmaud Marquez Arbery (25) (Feb. 23, 2020, shot while jogging in Satilla Shores neighborhood, Brunswick) - *Gregory Johns McMichael (64/now 65) arrested (5/7/20) & charged (5/8/20) with felony murder & aggravated assault. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond denied (11/13/20).
*Travis James McMichael (34/now 35) arrested (5/7/20) & charged (5/8/20) with felony murder & aggravated assault. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Bond denied (11/13/20).
*William “Roddie” Roderick Bryan, Jr. (50/now 51) arrested & charged (5/21/20) with felony murder & criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment. Indicted (6/24/20), charged & arraigned (7/17/20) with 1 count of malice murder, 4 counts of felony murder, 2 counts of aggravated assault, 1 count of false imprisonment & 1 count of criminal attempt to commit a felony. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial began on 10/18/21 with jury selection & ended on 11/3/21. Trial began on 11/5/21. Jurors: 5 men & 11 women with 4 alternates. 15 white/1 black jurors. 11/4/21: Juror #579 was excused, sick. Alternates now 3.
Court info from 5/8/20 thru 10/17/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-12) 10/18/21-11/3/21 & Trial (Day 1) 11/5/21 reference post #871 here:
GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3

11/8/21 Monday, Trial Day 2: State witnesses: Investigator Sheila Ramos with the Glynn county Police Dept. Officer Ricky Minshew of the Glynn County Patrol Unit, he was the first officer on the scene.
For more info see post #891 here:
GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #3
Officer Ricky Minshew. Cross exam by Gough.
For more info see post #911 here:
Patrol Officer Adam Jackson with the Glynn County Police Dept. Officer Jackson was tasked with canvassing the area for witnesses & video. Body worn camera played in court.
For more info see post #939 here:
Trial continues on 11/9/21.

*Federal charges: *Travis James McMichael (34/now 35) & *Gregory Johns McMichael & *William “Roddie” Roderick Bryan, Jr. Next motions hearing on 11/19/21. Trial set to begin on 2/7/22.

Neighbor 'cornered' Ahmaud Arbery before he was fatally shot, officer says in murder trial

Graphic photos of Ahmaud Arbery's wounds shown to jury

Ricky Minshew, a former Glynn County Police Officer, said he spoke with William "Roddie" Bryan, who told Minshew he "blocked," "cornered" and "cut off" Arbery.

"Should I have been chasing him? I don’t know," Bryan said, according to a transcript of Minshew’s body-camera video read in court.

On direct examination, Minshew said Bryan told him that he had "blocked" Arbery with his truck five times. On cross examination, Bryan's lawyer challenged Minshew on the number of times Bryan used his truck to block Arbery.

"He did mention on several occasions 'blocking,' and one time he said 'cornering him in,'" Minshew said.

Prompted by Bryan's attorney, Minshew also told jurors Bryan was "cooperative" and initially considered a witness who was allowed to leave the crime scene.

Prosecutors showed jurors the photos: The body covered by a bloodstained sheet lying in the street with a white truck in the background, a shotgun lying in the grass, bloodstains and shotgun shells on the driveway.

Prosecutors then showed jurors graphic close-ups of Arbery's wounds. Several jurors squirmed in their seats as the first few photos were shown. Arbery's mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, exhaled quietly.

Last edited:
Man accused in killing of Ahmaud Arbery did not mention citizen's arrest at scene, former officer testifies

Willima-Bryan-and-witness.jpg
William ‘Roddie’ Bryan and ex-Officer Ricky Minshew

Ricky Minshew, who was a Glynn County, Georgia, police patrol officer said Bryan never mentioned that he joined the chase to try to arrest Arbery for loitering, burglary, attempted burglary, aggravated assault or any other crime and that Bryan never told him he saw Arbery with a weapon. Minshew said Bryan did not tell him he had ever told Arbery that he was "under arrest" for anything as he pursued him.

Minshew said Bryan told him at one point: "Should I have been chasing him? I don't know."

Man Who Pursued Ahmaud Arbery and Recorded Shooting Told Cop He Was Almost 'Thrown Through the Windshield Trying to Chase This Damn Joker': Testimony

ADA-Larissa-Ollivierre.jpg
ADA Larissa Ollivierre

On the second day of trial on Monday, former Glynn County Officer Ricky Minshew told a jury that Bryan freely conceded that Arbery had been “hauling *advertiser censored*” away from him at the time and said that he was nearly “thrown through the damn windshield trying to chase this joker.”

“‘Joker’ being the victim in this case?” asked Cobb County Assistant District Attorney Larissa Ollivierre.

“Yes, ma’am,” Minshew replied.

Last edited:
Chasing Mr. Arbury down with guns was an extremely threatening thing to do and a very haphazard choice. I will never believe their intent was to murder someone and get away with it, otherwise they would not have recorded it, and would not have called 911. That being said, they set the stage for a disaster, and frightened the young man to a point that he tried to disarm one of them. If one only views the point where Mr. Arbury grabs Mr. McMichaels rifle, this is a clear case of self defense. Mr. McMichael had no choice at that point but to fight for his life or risk losing his life if he was disarmed. However, three men made a choice that day, that spiraled out of control, and one man is now dead as a result.

Chasing Mr. Arbury down with guns was an extremely threatening thing to do and a very haphazard choice. I will never believe their intent was to murder someone and get away with it, otherwise they would not have recorded it, and would not have called 911. That being said, they set the stage for a disaster, and frightened the young man to a point that he tried to disarm one of them. If one only views the point where Mr. Arbury grabs Mr. McMichaels rifle, this is a clear case of self defense. Mr. McMichael had no choice at that point but to fight for his life or risk losing his life if he was disarmed. However, three men made a choice that day, that spiraled out of control, and one man is now dead as a result.

It was AA who acted in self-defense, not Travis. He'd been pursued by 2 screaming armed men in 1 truck & run into by a man in another truck who kept blocking him from escape; threatened with having his head blown off, accused of committing a crime, and forced to run and run and run and run and run and run and run for his life.

Five minutes into his nightmare, he was trapped between 2 trucks. He had a choice to run back towards the man who had hit him with his truck, or forward towards a man standing outside his truck, holding a shotgun, and another standing in the back of the truck.

AA tried to go around the MMs truck. Travis *moved* to the front of the truck, his shotgun aimed at AA, his finger on the trigger. By his own admission be fired as AA moved towards him. Even looking at just this last piece of the timeline, that is murder, NOT self-defense. Imo.

It was AA who acted in self-defense, not Travis. He'd been pursued by 2 screaming armed men in 1 truck & run into by a man in another truck who kept blocking him from escape; threatened with having his head blown off, accused of committing a crime, and forced to run and run and run and run and run and run and run for his life.

Five minutes into his nightmare, he was trapped between 2 trucks. He had a choice to run back towards the man who had hit him with his truck, or forward towards a man standing outside his truck, holding a shotgun, and another standing in the back of the truck.

AA tried to go around the MMs truck. Travis *moved* to the front of the truck, his shotgun aimed at AA, his finger on the trigger. By his own admission be fired as AA moved towards him. Even looking at just this last piece of the timeline, that is murder, NOT self-defense. Imo.

Totally agree- they called 911 because they didn't think they did anything wrong--- they still don't believe they did anything wrong- I am sure they are insulted they are even on trial-- What I see in this case were three men who saw a black man and decided to get them a (this word from their perspective: the n-word)--- they have not one iota of remorse. They truly represent the worst of the human race.

I respectfully disagree.

I now understand why we cannot see the body cam footage from some of these officers. Under the Bruton Rule, one defendant cannot make a statement for another defendant because everyone has a a 5th Amendment right against self incriminating statements. So they have to leave out whatever Greg McMichael said about Travis.

I now understand why we cannot see the body cam footage from some of these officers. Under the Bruton Rule, one defendant cannot make a statement for another defendant because everyone has a a 5th Amendment right against self incriminating statements. So they have to leave out whatever Greg McMichael said about Travis.

Thanks. Yesterday, during discussion of today's witness testimony was the first time I'd ever heard of the Bruton Rule. Trying multiple defendants with multiple counsel is a very complicated process indeed. Makes it even more imperative to have an experienced/capable judge presiding. Mercifully, he's definitely that.

while I get the argument and the need to keep those portions out, I feel for how this complicates the prosecution case. Their job made harder IMO to paint the full picture of just how egregious these men's acts were. Having to use bits and pieces to paint the picture doesn't really give the whole story in all its horror.

while I get the argument and the need to keep those portions out, I feel for how this complicates the prosecution case. Their job made harder IMO to paint the full picture of just how egregious these men's acts were. Having to use bits and pieces to paint the picture doesn't really give the whole story in all its horror.

What the defense dodged imo was not just having the jury hear their clients' words & tone, but having the jury see their body language & affect within minutes of AA being killed. Roddy, shrugging his shoulders & laughing. Greg MM talking excitedly, denigrating his victim, repeatedly pointing out his LE connections, inserting himself into the on -scene LEO's procedures.

Completely agree that these dry recitations of words off a page are really insufficient.

What the defense dodged imo was not just having the jury hear their clients' words & tone, but having the jury see their body language & affect within minutes of AA being killed. Roddy, shrugging his shoulders & laughing. Greg MM talking excitedly, denigrating his victim, repeatedly pointing out his LE connections, inserting himself into the on -scene LEO's procedures.

Completely agree that these dry recitations of words off a page are really insufficient.

I'm sorry that rule stinks. Puts the prosecution at a disadvantage. However, the facts in this case are so egregious, it paints a pretty ugly picture of what the defendants did.

For Tuesday, Nov. 9th:

Brian G. Buckmire
@BuckEsq
·
57m
Officer Brandenberry is on the stand testifying. He was tasked with interviewing #GregoryMcMichael he starts his direct by saying “he’s never testified in a jury trial, especially one that’s being televised” … as he is about to testify about his body worn camera defense objects.

The reason why parts of the video are not being played are because of “Bruton” issues. One of the reasons why the jury will not be able to play it in the deliberation room. “Bruton” is the law regarding antagonistic defenses, where one defendant blames another for a crime.

Jason Sheffield, “in abundance of caution” is making an objection about an initial statement made by #TravisMcMichael to the officer coming in, the statement is “the last thing I ever wanted to do …” the defense doesn’t want this to come in because it could “open the door”.

At this time the State isn’t looking to put the statement in UNLESS #TravisMcMichael testifies. All seems cleared up, the jury is coming back in now.

Gregory McMichael was 5’10, 230lbs the day he spoke to the officer #Greg had blood on his left hand. #Greg said #Arbery was still moving, ans while he didn’t know if he had a gun he moved his arm to check.

Greg said that while he was reupholstering his boat seats he sees #Arbery “hauling *advertiser censored* in a dead sprint” and that they have him on video breaking into the house 2-3 times. #Greg said he was in the back of the truck while chasing #Arbery.

Greg said he IDed #Arbery as someone who typically wears a white shirt & has shirt dreads. That when he sees this #Greg goes into the house to get his gun. The reason he gets the gun, doesn’t know if he is armed, last time he put his hand in his pocket “I don’t take any chances”.

Greg was “amped up” when speaking with the officer. That he knew the general area, but had to be told what street he was on. While doing the interview, #Greg was interrupted “quite regularly” by other others and curious bystanders. Officer had to direct him to talk to him.

Greg tells the officer about how #Arbery runs up and down the roads. That #Greg said “stop, stop I want to talk to you” and say “stop God damnit.” #Greg said there was two shoots. That he saw them. “If I could have got a shot myself i would have” #Greg says to cop.

Greg was not isolated from speaking with the officer. People were allowed to walk up and speak with #Greg, and interrupt the conversation. Man interrupts #Greg and says he was concerned it was a drunk guy who lives up the corner, #Greg responds “the one that shuffles”.

Greg says “this ain’t no shuffler, this guys an . He was hooked up when he came up the street” Male speak asks if he was “walking” #Greg says “I don’t know where he was coming from” and asks if #Greg was okay and hands #Greg water.

Greg when asked if #Travis is okay, says he’s okay. Male speaker asks if the gun had a gun #Greg “says no, I couldn’t tell if he had one, but he attacked my son” #Greg says, “he came at him, tried to get the damn gun away” this was all to strangers while officer stood there.

Greg said he didn’t have a cell phone on him. #Greg never said, to the cop, he thought #Arbery committed a crime that day. #Greg never used the word #trespass, #burglary, #arrest, #detain or that he saw #Arbery throw anything out of his pocket as he ran.

Greg never told the officer he was making a citizen’s arrest. Prosecutor seems to go through all of the possible defenses the Defense could raise.

Photos were taken of #TravisMcMichael and this officer observed them. The state enters into evidence three photos.

#FranklinHogue, defense for #GregMcMichael begins to cross examine Officer Brandenberry… “let’s get some further context with your testimony” about the beliefs #Greg had about #Arbery in his neighborhood.

Franklin.jpg

Hogue gets witness to agree that #Greg described what happened three times, not just the one he read on the record with the prosecution. #Greg says “he’s the one breaking in all the houses out here.”

Later #Greg says “well he makes frequent trips to the neighbourhood 3-4 times a week and not one has caught him.” #Greg grabbed his arm to check to see if he had a weapon, because he believed the guy may have been armed. The reason he got his .357 gun b/c doesn’t take chances.

The part of the testimony as to what #Greg meant by “I don’t take chances” was SUSTAINED. At first the neighbourhood was confusing to the officer, but when he realized they make a loop he understood. There are only two roads into the neighbourhood.

officer is asked to read, to himself, a portion of the transcripts he is not allowed to say out loud, and is asked where #Greg statements were made. And that the statements were made at the end of the encounter and not in the middle of the chase, on Holmes Road near Satilla.

This officer only looked at his video and not THE video, showing the death of #AhmaudArbery. Didn’t listen to the 911 and this can only testify about his body worn camera. Last question a recording of what he said would be more reliable than when he told the officer SUSTAINED.

Laura Hogue suggests another question. If #Greg said anything materially different then he would have put it in his report. Then asked if he said something different it would be in his report. Officer said that he didn’t note any changes to #Greg’s story in his report.

Jason Sheffield gets up to cross examine on behalf of #TravisMcMicheal … focusing on statements during the pendency of the chase. That there was an interaction before Holmes and that there were statements at the end of the chase of “stop”.

Jason.jpg

Officer’s body worn camera is played at the beginning, showing officers taping up the scene & #TravisMcMichael sitting on the ground. Officer Robert’s says they have to take photos of him ans clean him up. #Travis says “do whatever you have to do.” #Travis is being “cooperative”.

Discussed w/ Officer Minshew that he was the first on the scene and how close Minshew was when he heard the shoot. Objection. OVERRULED. That Minshew was on the other side of bushes, heard the sound then turned the corner. Explained of how the defendants were involved w/ #Arbery.

Redirect. Prosecutor leads by saying this is the officer’s second day back from a head cold and he is told to write a report. That his report is less than 2 pages but his transcript is 47 pages.

Linda.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/BuckEsq

Yes, body language and tone definitely help paint the picture. It is a win for the defense.

Yes, body language and tone definitely help paint the picture. It is a win for the defense.
I wonder how much of the Bruton issue could have been avoided if the defendants were tried separately. Maybe it would still be an issue because the video would be in the public domain once played at the first trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member