UNSOLVED GA - Allison Renee Smith, 8, killed before being mauled by dogs, Zebulon, 6 April 1986

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Girl killed before being mauled by dogs, police say

[...]

When the girl did not come home a few hours later, the Futches went to look for her and discovered her bicycle outside the house, but no one was home. They returned home and repeatedly called Sewell throughout the day and no one answered.

[...]

Last edited:
Child's murder still under investigation after 26 years
By Rachel McDaniel
The Journal Reporter, Zebulon
December 6, 2012

According to John Bankhead of the Georgia Bureau of Investigations, although DNA was not processed as evidence in 1986 when the murder occurred, there is still a possibility it could be contained in articles held for evidence in the case, including the young girl’s clothing.

“We didn’t collect DNA for use as evidence until 1991. Typically all evidence is retained in a homicide case until it is solved and closed,” he said. “The GBI periodically reviews all open cases to see if some advancement in technology is available now that wasn’t available to be used when the crime occurred. A lot of factors come into play to determine whether any DNA on articles of evidence can still be processed.”

Anyone having information on this case should call the
Georgia Bureau of Investigation at

(404) 244-2600

Such a little sweetheart.

159650153_c6e5baad-ba00-4862-8ba0-c76a4b3bab1f.jpeg

(from: findagrave.com)

I called the GBI and found out John Bankhead (mentioned in the above article) has retired.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if DNA could be used to find out who perpetrated this awful crime?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have sent an email to the person who took over the cases of John Bankhead. Not able to get in touch with this person via phone. I’ve asked for someone at the GBI to take another look at this.

My opinion is Allison Renee Smith was beaten, sexually assaulted, and then placed in the fenced area to make it appear like dogs killed her. Wouldn’t an adult perp know that detectives could have figured that out?

The home where her body was located - apparently the homeowner took a polygraph. He stated he was visiting his mother that day. Wonder if his alibi checked out?

Based on the links above...
TIMELINE- ZEBULON, GA:

Sunday April 6, 1986.
11:30 a.m.

Allyson Smith rode her bicycle to visit Sewell's stepson, Martin

A Few Hours Later
Parents looked for Allyson & found her bike outside Sewell’s house; no one home, mom didn’t see daughter in yard

Minutes Later
Parents returned home, repeatedly called Sewell throughout the day; no answer.

That Night
Sewell brought Smith's bike to her home; he said he was at his mom’s in Griffin, GA all day & had not seen Smith. Griffon is approximately 98 miles or 1 hr 50 minutes west of Zebulon- in 2021 drive time.

Later that Night
Sewell returned to Smith’s home & said he found the girl's body in his backyard.

Allyson was in 2nd grade when her life was taken. She was beaten & sexually abused before she died, then left in a pit bull pen to be mauled.

This April will be the 35th anniversary of Allyson’s death. LE stated many interviews were done, but no DNA testing- YET. The case has remained fairly active.

JudgeJoe, I'm not sure where you are getting the distance between Zebulon and Griffin. Google is showing me 11.5 miles / 14 minute drive.

Just some miscellaneous thoughts ..

Apparently the Sewell residence was in a mobile home park, so I would think properties would not be too far apart from each other. If dogs had killed her outdoors, neighbors would have heard screaming, so it would seem she was deceased when she was put in the dog pen. I wish we had a visual of the yard to see where the dog pen was in relation to the house and in relation to other homes.

It was a Sunday which lends some credence to the claim that Mr. Sewell was visiting his mother out of town. He had a stepson, so did he live with his stepson and stepson's mother? If so, did they all go to Griffin with Mr. Sewell that day? If not, were they at the residence at any time that day?

If Mr. Sewell was in Griffin all day, he had no way of knowing how long the bike had been there (i.e. 5 minutes or 6 hours). IOW, if he did not know when Renee arrived, why the rush to bring the bike back to her parents? Before bringing the bike back, did he (his stepson, a wife ??) look around the property to see if Renee was in the yard? Did he check with any neighbours to enquire if Renee was with them? When he later found Renee's body, why not call the police instead of going back to tell the parents?

JudgeJoe, I'm not sure where you are getting the distance between Zebulon and Griffin. Google is showing me 11.5 miles / 14 minute drive.

Just some miscellaneous thoughts ..

Apparently the Sewell residence was in a mobile home park, so I would think properties would not be too far apart from each other. If dogs had killed her outdoors, neighbors would have heard screaming, so it would seem she was deceased when she was put in the dog pen. I wish we had a visual of the yard to see where the dog pen was in relation to the house and in relation to other homes.

It was a Sunday which lends some credence to the claim that Mr. Sewell was visiting his mother out of town. He had a stepson, so did he live with his stepson and stepson's mother? If so, did they all go to Griffin with Mr. Sewell that day? If not, were they at the residence at any time that day?

If Mr. Sewell was in Griffin all day, he had no way of knowing how long the bike had been there (i.e. 5 minutes or 6 hours). IOW, if he did not know when Renee arrived, why the rush to bring the bike back to her parents? Before bringing the bike back, did he (his stepson, a wife ??) look around the property to see if Renee was in the yard? Did he check with any neighbours to enquire if Renee was with them? When he later found Renee's body, why not call the police instead of going back to tell the parents?
Weird! I got my Zebulon-Griffin distance from Apple Maps. Twice to double-check.o_OBut I believe you are right; my NPS ol’ paper book atlas shows Zebulon SW of Griffin by about 25-30 miles & a straight shot drive. Digital maps...pft:confused:

I had all the same thoughts as you. If Mr Sewell were upstate visiting fam on a Sunday (could have been a regular thing with his mom), neighbors would have known he was gone- and maybe how long he’d likely remain gone. Also would have known about those dogs. Perp wouldn’t have thought about DNA back then. Hope he’s heard of familial DNA so he can now be quaking in his sorry-@ss boots.

I wonder if his little stepson was at grandma's?

How did he immediately recognize this gorgeous child's bike? He paid alot of mind to stepson's playmates bikes?
If their playdates were a regular thing, he’d know the bike. If 8 yr old Allyson knew the way & mom felt comfortable to let her ride over there, I’m guessing the ride wasn’t a first-time thing? Most kids bikes are very personal- color, handlebar tassels, horns, bells, sometimes those little “license” plates. My bike had a plate with my name on it- back in the day. The town only has about 1100 people, prob most everyone knows what bike belongs to whom. Imo

If their playdates were a regular thing, he’d know the bike. If 8 yr old Allyson knew the way & mom felt comfortable to let her ride over there, I’m guessing the ride wasn’t a first-time thing? Most kids bikes are very personal- color, handlebar tassels, horns, bells, sometimes those little “license” plates. My bike had a plate with my name on it- back in the day. The town only has about 1100 people, prob most everyone knows what bike belongs to whom. Imo

JJ, I'd forgotten about those little plates with our names, and the personal style of kids bikes. We could definitely ID a friends bike. Our parents? Only our own because they purchased them. I'm in a big city though.

Makes sense he would know the bike.

In that rural setting was it possible a neighbor knew they were at the grandmom's and took advantage when Allyson went to knock for her friend?

I called the GBI and found out John Bankhead (mentioned in the above article) has retired.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if DNA could be used to find out who perpetrated this awful crime?

John Bankhead was in charge of Kristi Cornwell's case (2011), he was a stellar LE officer!
I'm here CP, I'll support you in your search for justice for your sweet Allison.

Last edited:
A few questions-
  • Who all lived in the mobile-home? Were there older kids other than the 11 year old boy?
  • How did the families know each other? How many times had Allison gone to the Sewell home to play?
  • Was the neighborhood rural with larger properties or in town?
  • A little girl riding her bike for close to a mile, could have attracted someone's attention, could have been followed?
  • CS supposedly took a polygraph and passed, in addition his alibi (visiting his Mom) must have been verified? Was there a working phone at his home?
  • If CS regularly visited his Mom on Sunday's, was that common knowledge among neighbors?
  • There was an assault, where did it take place? I assume the residence was treated like a crime scene inside, not just the backyard? Are there woods around the mobile-home, out-buildings?
  • Are there photo's of the house/property in old news stories?
  • Does CS still live in Zebulon?

@Knox all excellent questions. I’ve tried searching for CS - will continue to work on that.

I personally never visited the area. It was a time in my life when my own family and work were very important. Also they lived about a 4 hour drive away.

I’ll try to get more info from other family members. Also if I don’t hear back by Monday from the sheriff’s department....I will give them a call. It appears the sheriff was part of this case way back in 1986. Names match so I’m guessing it’s the same guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Bankhead was in charge of Kristi Cornwell's case (2011), he was a stellar LE officer!
I'm here CP, I'll support you in your search for justice for your sweet Allison.

YES. I couldn’t remember where I heard his name - John Bankhead. The KC case was very close to here where I live. Females living in fear around that time. Last time I checked it was still an open case (the suspect is well known around here and deceased).

Thanks to ALL who have joined this case to help.

Admin Note:

Just a reminder that we cannot sleuth anyone who is not officially named by LE as a POI or suspect.

We can discuss what has been in MSM or from LE about certain individuals, and we can have a reasonable speculative opinion about those things, but we cannot dig into their personal information and post about it on the public thread.

As always, things that can't be discussed on the public thread can be done via PMs; just don't bring your findings to the main discussion thread.

Thanks !!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back