GA GA - Atlanta, WhtMale 20-30, 178UMGA, hit by car on I-75, Virgo tattoo, Jul'95 - Steven Shelton

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can see a "man in the moon" face in tht tattoo.
Also, I just have to say the sketch I saw doesn't look like the post morten photograph AT ALL to me. Just IMOO of course. @coffeeandacig did a much better job of creating his likeness (based on post mortem photo IMO.

Of course, at a heavier weight he would've looked a bit different IMO. The sketch and the post mortem do not look similar, I doubt anyone would recognize him from the sketch. Yes, I know a lot of effort was invested in the sketch, but I cannot get past that fact.

Larger view...
Does this tattoo on Luis Alfonso's chest look as if it could have been covered up with JD's chest tattoo? I can't help but notice the upside down "V" and the square box it's next too as well as the rounded parts of Luis' tattoo. It seems as if this area could have been used as the base for the face and horns(?) of the potential cover up on JD. Can someone please manipulate these photos so we can see an overlay?
serpent5b-jpg.135087
Original

172226-8a3de58cc9e3179fc63562101cce8f45.jpg
alfonso_luis.jpg
Original

Luis went missing from Captiva, FL in 1993 while visiting a family friend. I cannot find where he was from only that he was visiting in Captiva. Could it be he's from the Atlanta area or more broadly GA? His NamUs profile says his black hair was short and wavy while JD's hair was black, slightly curly. If CharleyProject has his DOB correct, Luis is a Virgo. I'd suggest comparing Luis' photo to JD's postmortem pic rather than the composite. I wonder if JD might be Hispanic rather than Caucasian.
Luis Lorenzo Alfonso – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The tattoo seems to be in the wrong position to be that missing person from what I see, even with more muscle tone and fat i dont think it is the same tat but definitely a good one- I can see why you chose him for comparison. I think he may be older than the UID.

The autopsy report was interesting, I guess is the word. I’d recommend reading over it to anyone who hasn’t. Fulton County John Doe Medical Report (This was linked up thread, there may be a better copy someplace).

I know they ruled out him being “Steven Shelton”, but he still had the man’s name written down on paper and found with him. I’m curious about this. ETA: and a date of birth; 09/04/73

I try not to over analyze tattoos because they’ll drive me crazy and I start seeing things that aren’t there. :D However, I thought I’d share my initial thoughts for those of you who have taken time to enhance the images!

Star Trek was mentioned at least once and that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the “dragon” tattoo. I’m not a fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it reminded me of the symbol. Which apparently has a few versions? star trek symbol - Google Search

The top of that same tattoo looks almost like a rattlesnake’s rattle along with bones or a rib cage maybe? rattlesnake rattle tattoo - Google Search

The dragon appears to breathing fire down.

The flaming planet at first glance looks to be just that. Some of the enhanced versions though look kind of like a flaming guitar. Possibly.

Not sure about the “Virgo”. Looks similar to a homemade tattoo I got when I was younger. Not necessarily a coverup, just an unsteady artist’s hand or crude application device (sewing needle and ink).

This is a sad case. I’m no expert, but based on the medical examiner’s findings, he seemed like a relatively healthy young man before this accident. I hope someone recognizes him.

Last edited:
I know they ruled out him being “Steven Shelton”, but he still had the man’s name written down on paper and found with him. I’m curious about this. ETA: and a date of birth; 09/04/73
I can think of many reasons why someone would have a piece of paper with someone else's name on it, but DOB? Much less your own.
Why would he have that?

Autopsy report: “This individual was tentatively identified early in the course of his hospitalization based on a slip of paper with the name “Steven Shelton” written on it. However, he had not been positively identified and this name has not been confirmed. After extensive investigation, he remains unidentified at the time this is issued.” His clothing and personal effects were removed by emergency medical professionals who responded to the accident however. Was this paper something that was in his pocket at the time, found next to him at the scene, written by him or someone else? I guess we may never know. Just seems like it could be important.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the external and internal examinations appear mostly unremarkable, typical and/or consistent with someone who had been comatose for almost a year following a hit and run, pedestrian-auto collision.

External:
- Young white male, that appears to be in the 2nd or 3rd decade of life.
- The body weighs 85 pounds.
- The body is estimated to measure a total 72” or 73” in length.
- A portion of his skull and brain are surgically absent and he has a well healed scar on the right side of his head (presumably from the auto accident).
- Eyes are light brown.
- Hair is black, slightly curly, and measures up to 6” in length.
- Earlobes are not pierced.
- The nose is prominent.
- The mouth contains natural teeth in fair repair.
- A mustache on the upper lip measure up to 0.5 cm.
- He was circumcised.

(Maybe someone can help to explain some of the scaring on his body, not described along with the bedsores - wether or not he may have had them prior to his accident.)
- A green contusion on the right shoulder measure 7 X 5 cm.
- A square scar on the right lower posterior calf measures 4 X 1.5 cm.
- A vertical linear scar on the lateral lower leg measures 26 cm and has several parallel puncture scars consistent with remote suturing.

- Numerous decubitus ulcers (bedsores) on his lower extremities that appear to be in various stages of healing (presumably occurring after his accident and during his hospital stay).

Internal:
- The bones and muscles, with exception of the skull, are symmetrical and without deformity.
- Osteoporosis is present.
- Sections of lung show an acute inflammatory process consistent with early pneumonia. Underlying lung parenchyma shows some emphysema and congestion.

Description of Tattoos:
1. A tattoo on the chest extends from 6 cm below the eternal notch to the umbilicus and measures 28 X 12 cms. It is of a black, red, orange and green dragon and appears to obliterate other smaller simple tattoos.

2. A monochromatic blue tattoo on the left shoulder measures 3 X 3 cm and is most consistent with the word “Virgo” although it is indistinct.

3. A blue and red tattoo of a flame on the left posterior hand measure 4 X 2 cm and a nearby cross measure 1 X 0.7 cm.

4. A round blue monochromatic indistinct tattoo on the left medial forearm near the antecubital fossa (elbow pit) measures 3 X 2.5 cm.

I thought there was a link to the post mortem photo of the UID, but I’m not finding it on here. I may have seen it someplace else. I used that one to compare to Douglas Edward Pengilley – The Charley Project , and they look like a pretty good match. I won’t attach the photo as it’s difficult to look at, but it should be fairly easy to find.
upload_2020-8-14_17-38-11.jpegupload_2020-8-14_17-38-32.jpeg

Found better quality photos on Ancestry. It does appear Douglas’ ears may be pierced, or he had a mole/freckle where a piercing would normally be?
6A8CD95C-D85E-4CFC-A18E-D191D394D45D.jpeg E90B8876-E19A-4A96-99B0-F026481DB857.jpeg

I thought there was a link to the post mortem photo of the UID, but I’m not finding it on here. I may have seen it someplace else. I used that one to compare to Douglas Edward Pengilley – The Charley Project , and they look like a pretty good match. I won’t attach the photo as it’s difficult to look at, but it should be fairly easy to find.
View attachment 259953View attachment 259954
BBM

Here is his post-mortem photo.

Autopsy report: “This individual was tentatively identified early in the course of his hospitalization based on a slip of paper with the name “Steven Shelton” written on it. However, he had not been positively identified and this name has not been confirmed. After extensive investigation, he remains unidentified at the time this is issued.” His clothing and personal effects were removed by emergency medical professionals who responded to the accident however. Was this paper something that was in his pocket at the time, found next to him at the scene, written by him or someone else? I guess we may never know. Just seems like it could be important.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the external and internal examinations appear mostly unremarkable, typical and/or consistent with someone who had been comatose for almost a year following a hit and run, pedestrian-auto collision.

External:

(Maybe someone can help to explain some of the scaring on his body, not described along with the bedsores - wether or not he may have had them prior to his accident.)
- A green contusion on the right shoulder measure 7 X 5 cm.
- A square scar on the right lower posterior calf measures 4 X 1.5 cm.
- A vertical linear scar on the lateral lower leg measures 26 cm and has several parallel puncture scars consistent with remote suturing.

- Numerous decubitus ulcers (bedsores) on his lower extremities that appear to be in various stages of healing (presumably occurring after his accident and during his hospital stay).

Internal:
- The bones and muscles, with exception of the skull, are symmetrical and without deformity.
- Osteoporosis is present.
- Sections of lung show an acute inflammatory process consistent with early pneumonia. Underlying lung parenchyma shows some emphysema and congestion.
(clipped by me)

A contusion in this context is probably just a fading bruise, so unlikely to be present before accident.
The square scar (although must be rectangular by dimensions) could be anything.
The vertical linear scar is clearly surgical in nature, probably an orthopedic repair. It could have been before there before the accident, but that would be very consistent with an injury that would occur in a hit and run.
Osteoporosis would be an expected finding after a year of being bedbound.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654
Back