Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a friend that took his wife and son to sell a nice dirt bike to a Craig's List buyer. They met in a public place halfway. My friend had his family...the interested party had several people with him. They looked over the bike and discussed things. They had talked by phone numerous times leading up to meeting.

My friend's wife got bad vibes a couple times...the friend did too but thought he was being overly cautious. One of the guy's said, "Do you mind if I try out the bike to the end of the parking lot here?" So my friend said, "No that's fine." After all, his buddies were standing there. The guy jumped on the bike and took off...then his buddies jumped in their truck and sped away. So in essence, they stole my friend's bike right in front of his eyes.

As they were speeding out of the parking lot, someone cut in front of the dirt bike and plowed the thief over. Didn't kill him, but tore him up and crushed the bike. The buddies picked up their friend and left the bike laid there. I do think the thief was found though. That's what I call justice...from above.

I have completed numerous Craig's List transactions, but I don't know if I would do another. So dangerous.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/breaking/181829/couple_craigslist_missing_car_georgia

Daughter Virginia Owens said she became suspicious after her parents failed to show up to babysit her children on Friday. She and her sister, Stephanie Bishop, say the last conversation they had with their parents was one in which they had expressed excitement over the car.

Police say they have received tips that they're following up on, but won't comment on whether anyone has withdrawn money from their bank account or if the person who had responded to their Craigslist ad was an honest-to-goodness Mustang seller.

Very true. Older folks still trust people too easy and most people today are nothing but monsters..

It really bothers me now, seeing that they were to babysit grandkids on Friday, that they left so late on Thursday for such a long drive. As a mom of 4 at age 49 plus 2 grown stepkids and 2 beautiful granddaughters, it can get tiring. I, for one, would have wanted a good night's sleep and driving home in the dark back to Atlanta between 8pm and 11pm or 12mm would not cut it for me. It makes me wonder how much pressure was put on Bud to "need to see it tonight, another buyer is coming in the morning."

Studies have shown that as we age, we lose that little bit of our brain that raises our 'hinky meter.' That is why the elderly are so frequently the targets of scams. Plus the fact Bud has wanted this exact vehicle the possible perp described for 49 years, sets the Runions up for a dangerous situation, IMO.

Just watched one of the news reports and it says they are not releasing info as to the bank accounts.

In situations like this, is good to have a power of attorney for a family member set up in previously. If I went missing, my family member has no problem getting into my affairs and accounts without waiting for LE to subpoena.

I can see this case going several ways, and pray this couple is safe. Maybe they took a wrong turn somewhere, and got lost, then decided to stay a motel/hotel for the night.

Maybe they had an accident. Hit a deer, a guardrail, etc.

It's possible their phone just doesn't have a signal from where they are. I know in our area, mine will drop service every time I go see my parents.

There may have been a Mustang, and may not have been. At this point, we don't know. But I did see them for sale in that area, but it might not have been what they were looking for, hence the reason for placing the ad.

Not all craigslist ads in this manner or it would cease to exist. If people aren't using it, it wouldn't stay up. I bought a brand new washer and dryer right before Christmas. Couple had bought it, never hooked it up, and need money for Christmas for their kids. They actually delivered it to my house, but, I did have names, phone numbers, etc., before that meeting. Incidentally, I had my old washer and dryer on the driveway. I was going to give it to a family member. Someone stole it, and the dolly used to move them right from my driveway! I saw them do it, but couldn't stop them in time, and they haven't been caught yet!!

It really bothers me now, seeing that they were to babysit grandkids on Friday, that they left so late on Thursday for such a long drive. As a mom of 4 at age 49 plus 2 grown stepkids and 2 beautiful granddaughters, it can get tiring. I, for one, would have wanted a good night's sleep and driving home in the dark back to Atlanta between 8pm and 11pm or 12mm would not cut it for me. It makes me wonder how much pressure was put on Bud to "need to see it tonight, another buyer is coming in the morning."

Studies have shown that as we age, we lose that little bit of our brain that raises our 'hinky meter.' That is why the elderly are so frequently the targets of scams. Plus the fact Bud has wanted this exact vehicle the possible perp described for 49 years, sets the Runions up for a dangerous situation, IMO.

Since my hubby and I are close in age to Bud and Ruth's age I don't think it is about losing a part of the brain that sends off red flags. A lot of the brains of the elderly work just fine.

Bud and Ruth grew up in much different times and I am sure they have trusted many through the years without anything happening to them. The trust they were raised to have just continues as they age.

However; many elderly people do not trust others and would not have gone to meet a stranger on Craigslist. I feel the more the elderly keeps up with current crimes/news that is happening in their state/country they are just as guarded as anyone else no matter their age.

In fact most of the horror stories I have seen about Craigslist have involved much younger people (victims). Young people that have been robbed and murdered or beaten and robbed. Or young people who have been raped and or murdered when answering or putting an ad on Craigslist. So I don't think it really has anything to do with age per se but it is more about some people of all ages trusting strangers when they shouldn't.

The elderly are frequently targeted due to their age. Many don't fall for the scams either. The home invaders/robbers do target the elderly because they know they aren't able to defend themselves physically. But lately what they don't realize is a lot of the elderly are arming themselves and fighting back.

I don't even think the Mustang exist even though millions of people do buy and sell on Craigslist and don't have one problem. This was a setup from the get go. The 'seller' can copy photos of Mustangs and pretend that is their car. I am sure the one they showed Bud was a show stopper classic and 1966 Mustangs are very sought after and bring big bucks if they have been fully restored.

They probably told them they had to come see it at their 'home' and may have given directions to some remote area and McRae is filled with rural remote areas.

Imo, I think they have murdered Bud and Ruth, took their cash, phones (turned them off) and disposed of their bodies in some remote wooded area. They have also taken their vehicle, and are most likely further south into Georgia or even down in Florida somewhere by now. IMO

So this can happen to the young or old for we have seen it happen to all ages.

I don't even have yard sales anymore in front of our home or sell anything where the stranger has to come to our home for pick up.

Had a friend that took his wife and son to sell a nice dirt bike to a Craig's List buyer. They met in a public place halfway. My friend had his family...the interested party had several people with him. They looked over the bike and discussed things. They had talked by phone numerous times leading up to meeting.

My friend's wife got bad vibes a couple times...the friend did too but thought he was being overly cautious. One of the guy's said, "Do you mind if I try out the bike to the end of the parking lot here?" So my friend said, "No that's fine." After all, his buddies were standing there. The guy jumped on the bike and took off...then his buddies jumped in their truck and sped away. So in essence, they stole my friend's bike right in front of his eyes.

As they were speeding out of the parking lot, someone cut in front of the dirt bike and plowed the thief over. Didn't kill him, but tore him up and crushed the bike. The buddies picked up their friend and left the bike laid there. I do think the thief was found though. That's what I call justice...from above.

I have completed numerous Craig's List transactions, but I don't know if I would do another. So dangerous.

I read about this case on Facebook and I knew there would be a thread here. I feel so bad for the Runions and their family. I just hope and pray that they will be found safe and unharmed.
I have also done a few small Craig's List transactions, mostly for home exercise equipment. My husband and I arranged to meet the sellers inside a very busy local Meijer store, and another time a busy
Walmart parking lot. Both times during the day. Everything turned out fine, but after this case, I think my Craig's list days are over. It's not worth the risk. I'm sorry about your dirt bike, but glad that you didn't get hurt.

Meant to say whoever was driving could have had a medical situation as well, and been unable to call for help, causing a wreck, down an embankment, etc. Just holding onto hope!!!

Meant to say whoever was driving could have had a medical situation as well, and been unable to call for help, causing a wreck, down an embankment, etc. Just holding onto hope!!!

I wish I felt this way but I don't.

From what I can read the 'seller' has not come forward and talked with LE.

IMO

Since my hubby and I are close in age to Bud and Ruth's age I don't think it is about losing a part of the brain that sends off red flags. A lot of the brains of the elderly work just fine.

Bud and Ruth grew up in much different times and I am sure they have trusted many through the years without anything happening to them. The trust they were raised to have just continues as they age.

However; many elderly people do not trust others and would not have gone to meet a stranger on Craigslist. I feel the more the elderly keeps up with current crimes/news that is happening in their state/country they are just as guarded as anyone else no matter their age.

In fact most of the horror stories I have seen about Craigslist have involved much younger people (victims). Young people that have been robbed and murdered or beaten and robbed. Or young people who have been raped and or murdered when answering or putting an ad on Craigslist. So I don't think it really has anything to do with age per se but it is more about some people of all ages trusting strangers when they shouldn't.

The elderly are frequently targeted due to their age. Many don't fall for the scams either. The home invaders/robbers do target the elderly because they know they aren't able to defend themselves physically. But lately what they don't realize is a lot of the elderly are arming themselves and fighting back.

I don't even think the Mustang exist even though millions of people do buy and sell on Craigslist and don't have one problem. This was a setup from the get go. The 'seller' can copy photos of Mustangs and pretend that is their car. I am sure the one they showed Bud was a show stopper classic and 1966 Mustangs are very sought after and bring big bucks if they have been fully restored.

They probably told them they had to come see it at their 'home' and may have given directions to some remote area and McRae is filled with rural remote areas.

Imo, I think they have murdered Bud and Ruth, took their cash, phones (turned them off) and disposed of their bodies in some remote wooded area. They have also taken their vehicle, and are most likely further south into Georgia or even down in Florida somewhere by now. IMO

So this can happen to the young or old for we have seen it happen to all ages.

I don't even have yard sales anymore in front of our home or sell anything where the stranger has to come to our home for pick up.

My husband and I are in our 50's and I don't think we would ever use Craig's list for something really expensive. We wouldn't go to someone's house to look at something either. I tend to be paranoid about getting scammed so my guard is always up, especially when dealing with strangers. I think the Runions seem to be in good health mentally and physically, so probably just more trusting of people and perhaps unaware of danger. I also agree that it's usually younger people who get scammed or worse from Craig's list.

I do agree with you about what probably happened to them too :(

I can see this case going several ways, and pray this couple is safe. Maybe they took a wrong turn somewhere, and got lost, then decided to stay a motel/hotel for the night.

Maybe they had an accident. Hit a deer, a guardrail, etc.

It's possible their phone just doesn't have a signal from where they are. I know in our area, mine will drop service every time I go see my parents.

There may have been a Mustang, and may not have been. At this point, we don't know. But I did see them for sale in that area, but it might not have been what they were looking for, hence the reason for placing the ad.

Not all craigslist ads in this manner or it would cease to exist. If people aren't using it, it wouldn't stay up. I bought a brand new washer and dryer right before Christmas. Couple had bought it, never hooked it up, and need money for Christmas for their kids. They actually delivered it to my house, but, I did have names, phone numbers, etc., before that meeting. Incidentally, I had my old washer and dryer on the driveway. I was going to give it to a family member. Someone stole it, and the dolly used to move them right from my driveway! I saw them do it, but couldn't stop them in time, and they haven't been caught yet!!

The reason I don't think the Mustang exist is the police would know who has a 1966 Mustang in McRae. It is a small town and a Mustang always stands out.

And everyone in that town would already know who has a Mustang that fits that description.

That is why I feel there is no one in McRae who has this type of Mustang... Bud wanted.

IMO

Driving map

183 miles-----That's a lot of road to check out.

Attachments

• McRae, GA to Marietta, GA - Google Maps.jpg
    McRae, GA to Marietta, GA - Google Maps.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 381
This couple is in their 60s, not their 80s. Everything i've read about them indicates they were of sound mind and body. They are on an adventure to fulfill a longtime dream. They are active in volunteering and serving others. I don't think their age made them vulnerable. I think this would have happened if they were in their 30s and did the same thing.

The burner phone was reported to have "moved south" of McRae.
The area where LE set up "camp" is in the southern part of Telfair County, near the small town of Jacksonville, GA, and the Ocmulgee River.
I've heard lots of stories over the years about Jacksonville, none of which are good.

Just thinking out loud....McRae could have been a "meeting place". I think I saw on the first page where the burner phone was pinged south of there.

Quick recap-

• Bud Runion placed the ad looking for a 1966 mustang. The ad hd his phone number.

• Thursday Jan 22, Bud and June left Marietta at approx 2:00.

• They were traveling in a pewter/champaigne GMC Envoy 2003.

• Their car had onstar but it is analog, not set up and can not be pinged.

• They were reportedly headed to McRae, Telfair County GA. 180 miles each way

• They reportedly left with their phones and charges, but iCloud was turned off.

• 3:30 was the last time they were heard from.

• Daughters reported them missing. They did not respond to calls or show up to babysit grandchildren on Friday.

• LE says burner phone was used by the 'seller'. It was tracked south of McRae.

steelman has a map two posts above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member