Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unless the whole town is a drug infested rat-hole, and I have not heard that about McRae, then yes the jury will convict him. A lot of the smaller GA counties are very tough on crime and they hand out very harsh sentences, this is the bible belt and the vast majority are Southern Baptists and they DO believe in capital punishment.

I agree, we do tend to be law, and order types done here, and hard nosed when it comes to crimes in general, but especially double murder.

They will not only convict him.... they will also voted for death if this becomes a death penalty case, and if he is convicted in the guilt phase.

And I do expect them to say they will be seeking death.

There are DP qualified prongs existing that would make it qualified for one.

1. Committing felony of armed robbery.
2. During the first felony (armed robbery) he committed felony acts of double murder.
2. The victims were over the age of 65.

The evidence may show he even lay in wait for them to come down the rural road. If so, that is another qualifier.

Jj
I could, but I'd be banned. :innocent:

J'ville has a long-time, nefarious reputation among locals in South GA. Things (politics) have changed over the years, but one thing hasn't - at least not from a local perspective: What happens in Jacksonville stays in Jacksonville. Yes, some crimes have been "solved," meaning people have been arrested, but in that neck of the woods, it often means that someone took the fall. (I'm not referring to the Runion's case.) Other crimes remain unsolved and they always will be. I can't offer proof other than it's just my perspective of having lived nearby since the '80s. I'm not trying to be vague or start any conspiracy theories -- I'm just letting you know that things are not always what they seem in these parts.

I hope that helps.

:tyou:

Thanks, bluemermaid!! I can read between the lines of what you said, and looks like I will avoid that area at all costs!!! We need to keep you around :gasp:

IMHO

Is there anyone here who thinks that maybe RT didn't do this? I am curious because something feels "off" about this whole thing.

By all appearances, RT was trying to set himself up ? I go back and forth but I hope and pray that whoever did this to the Runions are discovered!

Respectfully, this was a craigslist stranger meeting. Bud did not even know the name of the person he was meeting.

If you are meeting a complete stranger from craigslist and things go "bad" (with no mustang in sight) you don't get into an argument. Bud is/was a 'Nam vet. He was smart enough to know it is fight or flee, it isn't about "arguing".

He would KNOW the situation was dangerous and he would get his wife out of there! Or defend!

The idea of him getting into an "argument" with a complete stranger on a dirt road after being lured in by an Internet contact in the middle of nowhere is just plain not plausible.

Are you trying to suggest the situation just got "out of control" because the victim, Bud, began to have words with the killer? Maybe the next suggestion will be that the perp was "in fear for their life" and just defending themselves against the elderly couple?

Anyone can ensue an argument/disagreement or debate, then one is left to defend themselves or try to get out but something happened and we don't now exactly what that was except for the final result but Bud doesn't seem like the kind that would take the bait in an argument in this situation (maybe the poster meant disagreement) but would try to just get out of there and of course, they did not, sadly

The property belonging to JT's father, where JT was living, is not in McRae, despite the mailing address.
The red outline is the Towns property; McRae is in the northern part of the county.
I keep telling ya'll that Jacksonville is different. Folks in neighboring areas, who don't live or have family ties there, generally avoid it.

View attachment 68550

Did I read it's called Scotland, maybe an unincorporated area? I did searches and it came up as Mcrae but noticed it is closer to jacksonville

Just a thought, yes he might be exercising his right to silence, ANYTHING you say CAN and WILL be used against you and that includes HOW somebody else on the prosecution team has interpreted or heard what you say, not always a good thing

Also, wondered IF he's not guilty IF maybe he was hiding becuase he witnessed this thing and didnt' know it was going down that way so got the "hell outta dodge" and why he was hiding in the woods, maybe longer than we actually have heard in the news, there has been confusion on when DAD brought him out of the woods, saturday or sunday, and I think Monday? he turned himself in, maybe first thing the family did was sit him down talk about it then get him an attorney or advice and first things first, turn yourself in and they told him not to say anything NOTHING

His mother just had surgery, dont' know their insurance situation but that's spendy

Then there is the "he's guilty and acted alone" angle

Just a thought, yes he might be exercising his right to silence, ANYTHING you say CAN and WILL be used against you and that includes HOW somebody else on the prosecution team has interpreted or heard what you say, not always a good thing

Also, wondered IF he's not guilty IF maybe he was hiding becuase he witnessed this thing and didnt' know it was going down that way so got the "hell outta dodge" and why he was hiding in the woods, maybe longer than we actually have heard in the news, there has been confusion on when DAD brought him out of the woods, saturday or sunday, and I think Monday? he turned himself in, maybe first thing the family did was sit him down talk about it then get him an attorney or advice and first things first, turn yourself in and they told him not to say anything NOTHING

His mother just had surgery, dont' know their insurance situation but that's spendy

Then there is the "he's guilty and acted alone" angle

I don't understand if that is the case (he was an innocent by-stander) - that his attorney would tell him to say nothing and then waive the preliminary hearing. That just means he is going to sit in jail longer. Someone would have to have something extremely powerful to hold over him that would warrant sitting in that Dodge County jail for who knows how long.... I read that the search warrants were issued for guns (they confiscated several) and that they were searching for personal belongings of the Runions that were missing.

That can't be because the LE in that area were not even involved for over 12 hours after they were reported missing. So that would have been late Friday at the soonest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, following your lead and trying to trace the timeline, post #7 was made on 1/24 (time incorrect, I think); I jumped on your back about 5 minutes iirc after you started the thread...what time was the initial msm posted re: the phone pinging south of mcrae (half asleep)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...nion-66-McRae-22-Jan-2015-Went-to-look-at-car

Eta: So looking back at the post, there is already the mention of searches and helicopters.

If RJT pulled a weapon, and held it to June/pointed it at June, I would imagine Bud might try to seize an opportunity to get the gun away from him? Not saying that's what happened, just thinking out loud.

O/T they ought to publicize these stories more. Make the people who use Craigslist to rob and kill think a little harder before trying that.

In regards to that particular story you reference, the guy was going to a house at MIDNIGHT to sell a dog, really how about we publicize folks should use common sense, I mean in what world does 12:00a sound like a reasonable time to meet someone?

I still feel it is just him, but, if there is another person, there HAS to be a reason why Ronnie won't tell.
IMOO.

The reason may be just plain common sense. If he admits to having an accomplice he admits his own guilt.

Also his daddy had a whole night to talk sense to him before he was taken into custody; I would assume his daddy's advice was "keep your mouth shut no matter what the police say". The fact that they can't find the murder weapon strongly implies he is staying silent.

In this case even if he COULD pin the killings on an accomplice it wouldn't make much difference sentence wise, he will likely be sent away for the rest of his life even if he does cooperate. If he does stay silent then the DA has to come up with hard evidence, at this point it sounds like they don't have the phone or the murder weapon, though they SHOULD be able to come up with some computer evidence showing he accessed the craigs list ad (unless he accessed it from his burner phone? not likely but if he did that would make it harder to prove).

Do we know they don't have the murder weapon, Sonya? They stated that LE confiscated many firearms from the house. They also stated they have, "a mountain of evidence to sift through". So, we don't know what they may have and I doubt they will disclose it to the public before trial.

Do we know they don't have the murder weapon, Sonya? They stated that LE confiscated many firearms from the house. They also stated they have, "a mountain of evidence to sift through". So, we don't know what they may have and I doubt they will disclose it to the public before trial.

I heard the GBI is still looking for it. Ballistics testing is pretty quick, they would only have to test the guns that matched the same caliber so if the murder weapon is in the group of weapons taken from the home they should already know and they wouldn't be searching the woods/landfill for it this weekend.

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/2015/01/31/evidence-seized-in-runion-murder-investigation/22663077/

Do you think without the murder weapon the D.A. can get a guilty verdict? My guess is unless Jay comes forward with another name or LE finds evidence to arrest someone else, he is going down for these murders. His arrest came so quickly and he was charged with murder (not just robbery, lying to LE, etc.) that I believe they have some pretty incriminating stuff. Add to that the statements about "coming from a good family".... I don't think they would do it without good cause. Of course...I could be wrong... wouldn't be the 1st time :) :) :)

Do you think without the murder weapon the D.A. can get a guilty verdict? My guess is unless Jay comes forward with another name or LE finds evidence to arrest someone else, he is going down for these murders. His arrest came so quickly and he was charged with murder (not just robbery, lying to LE, etc.) that I believe they have some pretty incriminating stuff. Add to that the statements about "coming from a good family".... I don't think they would do it without good cause. Of course...I could be wrong... wouldn't be the 1st time :) :) :)

I don't know what they have but I would bet the first time they talked to JT it was NOT at the police station with video.

Thing is if he does not cooperate they will have to come up with hard evidence that will convince a jury. They probably will get him to talk OR find good evidence but as far as we know they don't seem to have much yet.

Even if they do find the murder weapon that doesn't mean they can prove HE was the one that used it. A lot of people have weapons they bought privately, or were given, and if there are no fingerprints it could be impossible to prove it was their gun.

The reason may be just plain common sense. If he admits to having an accomplice he admits his own guilt.

Also his daddy had a whole night to talk sense to him before he was taken into custody; I would assume his daddy's advice was "keep your mouth shut no matter what the police say". The fact that they can't find the murder weapon strongly implies he is staying silent.

In this case even if he COULD pin the killings on an accomplice it wouldn't make much difference sentence wise, he will likely be sent away for the rest of his life even if he does cooperate. If he does stay silent then the DA has to come up with hard evidence, at this point it sounds like they don't have the phone or the murder weapon, though they SHOULD be able to come up with some computer evidence showing he accessed the craigs list ad (unless he accessed it from his burner phone? not likely but if he did that would make it harder to prove).

What if they didn't just talk? What if Daddy helped clean up the mess? I hope the police trailed the father between the time he left the woods after talking to Ronnie and before he helped Ronnie turn himself in. We might wind up with a story like this one: Mom accused of covering for son in murder cold case

I don't know what they have but I would bet the first time they talked to JT it was NOT at the police station with video.

Thing is if he does not cooperate they will have to come up with hard evidence that will convince a jury. They probably will get him to talk OR find good evidence but as far as we know they don't seem to have much yet.

Even if they do find the murder weapon that doesn't mean they can prove HE was the one that used it. A lot of people have weapons they bought privately, or were given, and if there are no fingerprints it could be impossible to prove it was their gun.

BBM - Somewhere (cannot find) I read that he (Jay) had the Runion's cell phone - did you read that anywhere? IF that is true...why would he have it? The very first time that he was interviewed - there must have been *something* to cause them to interview him. Obviously we don't know what that was - but there has to be some evidence. If I were on the jury and they could show me that he talked to them via cell phone, coupled with the location of their car and their bodies, I would be leaning guilty without any other evidence. They obviously didn't know him - they didn't have other friends in that little town - so what other possible explanation could there be for the Runions to have ANY contact with Jay???

IMO - unless he names another conspirator - all they need is one thing - a fingerprint, an item belonging to the Runions, etc. to seal the deal. Because they were only there (alive) for a short time...They were near his home...they were (or were suspected to be) carrying lots of cash.

I'm not jumping on you here - I just tend to go with the most plausible explanation and it usually (but not always) turns out to be the case. I remember when Jesse Matthew was on the run - and people had all sorts of conspiracies about how he may have been framed, just an innocent young guy going about his business and trying to flirt with a pretty girl, etc. etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back