GUILTY GA - Four dead in Atlanta courthouse shooting, Brian Nichols on trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not guilty plea in Atlanta courthouse slayings

updated 27 minutes ago
ATLANTA - The man accused of a courthouse shooting rampage that left four people dead pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity as his trial began Thursday, more than three years after prosecutors say Brian Nichols confessed in the killings.

Defense attorney Henderson Hill entered the plea for Nichols a day after filing a motion claiming that Nichols was insane and couldn't tell "right from wrong" during the killings.

Even Nichols' defense team has conceded he killed a judge, court reporter and sheriff's deputy at the county courthouse in downtown Atlanta on March 11, 2005, and a federal agent later that day.

But the trial has faced a series of complications that have alternately astonished and outraged a community trying to close the books on the shootings that turned Fulton County's seat of justice into a crime scene.

Myriad problems
Nichols has been accused of plotting an escape. Defense attorneys claim a prosecutor committed crimes of her own. And the district attorney sued the presiding judge, who later stepped down.

And there's still uncertainty about where the trial will be held. Jury selection began in the same courthouse as the shootings, but defense attorneys have long urged that the case be heard in another building in the county out of fairness to their client.

The new judge, James Bodiford, said Thursday he was moving the trial to another location within the next 10 days, but did not specify where. A possible location is the Atlanta Municipal Court, which handles traffic cases.

Bodiford, who took over the case in February, has vowed to keep the case on track, rebuffing an attempt by Nichols' attorneys Thursday to delay the case further.

"One thing I must do in this case is justice," Bodiford said. "But secondly I must be efficient, if I can."

MORE AT: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25623023/

updated 27 minutes ago
ATLANTA - The man accused of a courthouse shooting rampage that left four people dead pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity as his trial began Thursday, more than three years after prosecutors say Brian Nichols confessed in the killings.

Defense attorney Henderson Hill entered the plea for Nichols a day after filing a motion claiming that Nichols was insane and couldn't tell "right from wrong" during the killings.

Even Nichols' defense team has conceded he killed a judge, court reporter and sheriff's deputy at the county courthouse in downtown Atlanta on March 11, 2005, and a federal agent later that day.

But the trial has faced a series of complications that have alternately astonished and outraged a community trying to close the books on the shootings that turned Fulton County's seat of justice into a crime scene.

Myriad problems
Nichols has been accused of plotting an escape. Defense attorneys claim a prosecutor committed crimes of her own. And the district attorney sued the presiding judge, who later stepped down.

And there's still uncertainty about where the trial will be held. Jury selection began in the same courthouse as the shootings, but defense attorneys have long urged that the case be heard in another building in the county out of fairness to their client.

The new judge, James Bodiford, said Thursday he was moving the trial to another location within the next 10 days, but did not specify where. A possible location is the Atlanta Municipal Court, which handles traffic cases.

Bodiford, who took over the case in February, has vowed to keep the case on track, rebuffing an attempt by Nichols' attorneys Thursday to delay the case further.

"One thing I must do in this case is justice," Bodiford said. "But secondly I must be efficient, if I can."

Thank you for the update! I didn't think he was EVER going to go to trial! By chance is Court TV, err, In Session :mad: televising it do you know?

I think they should just take the plea, LWOP is surely enough, will they think it was money well spent if the jury elects to go NG by reason of insanity, or if they do find him G do not give him DP,

either could happen, it is just such a waste of money for one trial, and it IMO is doing justice no favours, it is bringing the public defenders office to its financial knees,

updated 27 minutes ago

Myriad problems

bottom line- he did it- he confessed- he was seen, this is so absurd I cant stand it- yes I know justice for all----- but you dont get any more guilty than this- I would love to have the money spent on this to pay the medical bills in the same time frame, for my family- I wouldnt have to pay another dime for the rest of my life :behindbar

bottom line- he did it- he confessed- he was seen, this is so absurd I cant stand it- yes I know justice for all----- but you dont get any more guilty than this- I would love to have the money spent on this to pay the medical bills in the same time frame, for my family- I wouldnt have to pay another dime for the rest of my life :behindbar
And "insanity" even! Well, yes, someone would have to be insane to do what he did but it doesn't mean he didn't know what he was doing, imo! I totally agree, what a waste. Sometimes defense attorneys are stuck though. :behindbar

I hope he tries to escape again and this time there is a gun handy to shoot him with.

I think they should just take the plea, LWOP is surely enough, will they think it was money well spent if the jury elects to go NG by reason of insanity, or if they do find him G do not give him DP,

either could happen, it is just such a waste of money for one trial, and it IMO is doing justice no favours, it is bringing the public defenders office to its financial knees,

He already escaped from jail once and he stands accused of plotting a second escape, I also remember that his girlfriend who he was on trial for raping said he told her if he had to be a model prisoner for 20 years in order to get out, he would do it and come after her.

If anyone needs to be on death row its this .

I cannot imagine any jury acquitting by reason of insanity. His defense lawyers have already BANKRUPTED the state of Georgia's public defense fund and they're still crying for more millions. Why? Because they can. It's what all anti DP defense lawyers do...stall, stall, stall and waste the taxpayers money.

His conviction and DP sentence to me is a foregone conclusion. He has no history of mental illness or any abuse that I have ever heard of , his crimes demanded a high level of planning and he continued to elude police for severawl days, and subsequent to his incarcreation he tried to escape a second time.

The law should allow for a guilty plea in a DP case and go straight to sentencing.

trial set for 22nd September, Jury selection should be complete end of August,

hopefully no more delays or more money wasted, he is pleading insanity, it will be very hard to sell to any jury considering all his actions pre the murders and post the murders

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway
Back