GA - Genarlow Wilson for oral sex with minor, Douglasville, 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
angelwngs said:
That was not my point.

My point was made more clearly in 1st post and again in my 2nd LONG post, prior to the one you quoted, neither of which did you choose to respond.

Like the two girls involved, this young man, too, was not of legal age in the state of GA.

Gender discrimination.
That was my point- that boy could have been a victim of the 15 year old girl- the video shows she was not forced to perform BJs on those boys.. she was willing to perform and they were willing to receive.

I am not saying it isn't disgusting... It IS, but I dont think a 17 year old boy should go to jail and be labeled a sex-offender for the rest of his life because some boys were stupid and girl was easy. She was not drunk and she was not forced. Maybe she was behaving that way to be popular, maybe she was desperate for attention, maybe she likes giving oral sex, noone knows... but she was NOT abused, assaulted or molested. She acted in a slutty manner, but she was not coerced.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilson

Lord Goodness, within this article linked above and previously posted here, it says that a female teacher was convicted of having sex with a student and was sentenced to ONLY 90 days at the same time that this young boy got manditory 10 years for submitting to oral sex.

Can our Governor not pardon this young man?
He has already done two years of a ten year sentence and should not have been sentenced to a day of hard time, IMO.

The law has already been changed.
The case has gone to the Supreme Court and because GA did not make the reversal of the law retro-active the Supreme Court upheld the decision.

Could the Governor still pardon him????

I would LOVE to hear Bill Clinton's "legal" opinion of this case!!!!!!!!!
(Our former President! Ha!)

I think I remember reading one of the reasons he wouldn't take a plea bargain was because it still meant registering as a sex offender, and that would prevent him from living in the same house, or spending time with his baby sister.

I can see refusing, just because it's wrong - he's not a sex offender. But I'm kinda idealist that way. I hate it when bullying works - using a ridiculous overcharge to try to get a plea bargain to something he didn't do.

T-Rex said:
I think I remember reading one of the reasons he wouldn't take a plea bargain was because it still meant registering as a sex offender, and that would prevent him from living in the same house, or spending time with his baby sister.
My gf's daughter is a college freshman. Darling girl, truly.
One night on her way home, she had had too much to drink and was walking back to her dorm.
She went behind a bush and took a pee. She was arrested and the conviction brings with it a sex offender status as she pulled her pants down in public.
Not saying she did a good thing peeing behind a bush at night, but not deserving of a registered sex offender requirement.

JBean said:
One night on her way home, she had had too much to drink and was walking back to her dorm.
She went behind a bush and took a pee. She was arrested and the conviction brings with it a sex offender status as she pulled her pants down in public.
Not saying she did a good thing peeing behind a bush at night, but not deserving of a registered sex offender requirement.
Yep JBean,that is ridiculous as is the above case.They are "watering down" the terms of being a sex offender to the point that we won't really know who to fear.The real and dangerous sex offenders will be able to hide among the wrongly labeled ones.

JBean said:
That's ridiculous. Was she actually convicted?

paperhanger44z said:
Yep JBean,that is ridiculous as is the above case.They are "watering down" the terms of being a sex offender to the point that we won't really know who to fear.The real and dangerous sex offenders will be able to hide among the wrongly labeled ones.
I think the problem is that the laws categorized crimes into 'sex offense' before sex offenses were taken so seriously. Now that they are, now that we've spotted that these pedophiles, molesters, rapists, are real problems - no politician wants to look 'soft' on sex offenders by taking crimes out of that categorization, or suggesting that some types of 'sex offense' should not put you on the sex offender registry.

paperhanger44z said:
This is why I have no faith in any of these lists and generally do not support them.

OK - CNN is saying a judge ordered that he should be freed - so I don't know if they will actually let him out immediately.

This one has captured my interest & I am so happy for Genarlow & his family -
How many of our husbands would have been in prison if this was the way the law was interpretted everywhere??? My dh is 7 years my senior, had we met 6 months earlier than we did, he could be in the same boat- I was 18, he was 25. We'll be married 17 years in October...

I second your woohoo
:woohoo:

:woohoo:

Thank god that this young man is being released. My fear is that he will be harrassed when he is out.

This article says it will take about 48 hours to release him:

Judge orders Genarlow Wilson freed
Served over 2 years of 10-year sentence for oral sex with underage teen

By JEREMY REDMON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/11/07
A judge has ordered that Genarlow Wilson be freed from prison, where he has spent more than two years for receiving consensual oral sex from a 15-year-old girl when he was 17.
Monroe County Superior Court Judge Thomas Wilson also amended Wilson's felony conviction this morning to a misdemeanor without the requirement that he register as a sex offender.

Wilson's lawyer, B.J. Bernstein, appealed to the judge Wednesday to free him from prison, arguing that his 10-year prison sentence and inclusion on the state's sex offender registry is grossly disproportionate and violates the Constitution.
Bernstein also pointed to how the Legislature changed the law last year to make similar acts a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of one year in prison. Wilson, now 21, has been locked up for more than two years.

More at link

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/stories/2007/06/11/0611wilson.html

CNN is reporting that the state attorney general has filed an appeal so the poor kid has to stay in jail until that gets settled.

That prosecutor's office seems to take it very personally that this kid was smart enough not to just plead out to whatever they cared to offer. It's ridiculous!

That prosecutor's office seems to take it very personally that this kid was smart enough not to just plead out to whatever they cared to offer. It's ridiculous!

It is ridiculous. But prosecutors always get pi$$ed when their cases fall apart. Everyone is behaving according to script! :rolleyes:

I hope this lowlife enjoys his long prison sentence--There is no excuse for the 15 year old being there, and that's why this kid was found guilty--Oh yeah, and the fact that these stupid idiots VIDEOTAPED it--too funny

It wasn't his fault that the girl was there, it was her parents. And I don't know to many teenage boys who would turn down oral sex. 10 years is way to long of a sentence to give a teenage boy for receiving oral sex from another consenting teenage girl. There are drug dealers and rapist and child killers who don't serve that much!!!

Edited to add that I just saw that he had been freed. YAY.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back