GA - Genarlow Wilson for oral sex with minor, Douglasville, 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
nanandjim said:
That law needs to be changed. However, I still think that this young man acted in a very arrogant fashion with LE. He thought that he was above the law and therefore refused to accept a plea agreement as all of the others had. I feel certain that his lawyers told him what he was risking; and he was arrogant enough to think that the jury would go against a law on the books and just let him go free. They couldn't do that.

If the boy had been contrite, I would have recommended a year, suspended sentence with some community service to be done at schools warning kids about underage sex, etc.

If the boy was arrogant (as has been reported), I would be inclined to let the chips fall where they may (and did).

Human nature is to be sympathetic towards those with good attitudes and towards those who admit when they are wrong. It is also human nature to want to be harsher towards towards those with superior attitudes who think that they should be above being punished for something that "everyone else does."

I'm afraid that someone with this kind of attitude will continue to push boundaries because s/he thinks that s/he should be able to get away with it. Laws set boundaries and tell society what's expected. Without them, there would be chaos.

If people don't like a particular law, they should lobby to have it changed.

You keep saying he was arrogant, but I have not seen any reports of that, nor have you provided any links proving that.
The other kids took pleas because they had previous records and did not want to risk a trial.

Mabel said:
I've searched so hard for info about this case since I saw it featured on Crier a few years ago. Wilson's mother was on, begging people to help her son. It broke my heart. Wilson was a truly nice kid who had his future all planned out. He was an all A student, star athlete, liked by everyone. Now, because of one stupid act, his whole life is ruined. He will definitely not be the same person after 10 years in prison. When he comes out, he probably will actually be a criminal.

He knew he made a mistake going to that party, but kids do make mistakes. The girl admitted that she OFFERED oral sex to all the guys. She refused to testify against Wilson and didn't want him to go to jail. Honestly, how many 17 year old boys are going to turn down oral sex when a pretty girl offers it?

The whole thing is just such a shame. I've thought about that poor kid a lot, and especially about his mother who can do nothing but sit and wait while her son's whole life is destroyed. So sad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm from GA. Several weeks ago, I posted here on a different thread about our local highschool's varsity basketball team and three young boys accepting oral sex from a girl, during school hours, in the boys bathroom. Two of the boys were on the basketball team. Their punishment was to miss two basketball games. The other boy and the girl were suspended from school.

This 17 year old young man needs a GOOD lawyer to go to bat for him!

angelwngs said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm from GA. Several weeks ago, I posted here on a different thread about our local highschool's varsity basketball team and three young boys accepting oral sex from a girl, during school hours, in the boys bathroom. Two of the boys were on the basketball team. Their punishment was to miss two basketball games. The other boy and the girl were suspended from school.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that the court system will be swayed by the argument that "others are doing the same thing and aren't being punished for it." I could be wrong, but your argument doesn't make sense to me.

angelwngs said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel...Do you think this kid is in jail just because he's black. There definately seems to be some evidence of racism involved in the way this case was handled IMO.
Are the kids in your story white or black?

csds703 said:
You keep saying he was arrogant, but I have not seen any reports of that, nor have you provided any links proving that.
The other kids took pleas because they had previous records and did not want to risk a trial.
Sorry, I can't provide a link as I am going from memory from a television program that I saw YEARS ago. My memory could be wrong, too. If you can provide me with a link to show me where the boy, mother and LE are speaking about this case, I'll be the first to apologize and admit that I was wrong. :)

csds703 said:
Angel...Do you think this kid is in jail just because he's black. There definately seems to be some evidence of racism involved in the way this case was handled IMO.
Here we go. :rolleyes:

nanandjim said:
I'm sorry, but I don't think that the court system will be swayed by the argument that "others are doing the same thing and aren't being punished for it." I could be wrong, but your argument doesn't make sense to me.
That was not my point.

My point was made more clearly in 1st post and again in my 2nd LONG post, prior to the one you quoted, neither of which did you choose to respond.

Like the two girls involved, this young man, too, was not of legal age in the state of GA.

Gender discrimination.

nanandjim said:
Here we go. :rolleyes:
The boys involved in the oral sex in the highschool bathroom were Black.

So, nope... "Here we go..." won't cut it here.

angelwngs said:
Gender discrimination.
As you have chosen not to respond to my saying in almost every post of mine that this young man broke the law and was prosecuted for breaking the law.

I will agree that it is not fair that EVERYONE who breaks the law is not prosecuted; however, that does not change the fact that he broke the law.

I would venture to say that only a small fraction of those breaking the law are prosecuted. I would also venture to say that this kid had technically broken the law before and had not been caught. He was caught this time because it was videotaped.

When you break the law, no matter how minor and insignificant and petty you may feel that your infraction is, you are subjecting yourself to prosecution.

If you, and others, do not agree with the law, do something about it and get the law changed.

Heck, I can remember being pulled over for speeding, when everyone else was speeding. I also complained and asked the cop why I was the only one getting the ticket. I also told the judge that everyone was speeding; and it wasn't fair that I was the one who got the ticket. Do you think that my complaints fell on deaf ears? I'll stop here and let you ponder if my complaints were successful. :rolleyes:

ETA: I do agree that there is gender discrimination when it comes to sexual crimes. Look at all of the female teachers who have had sex with young, male students. Many of these teachers have gotten nothing more than a slap on the wrist. If the situation were reversed and it were a male teacher molesting a female student, there would be a huge outcry. More likely than not, the male teacher would spend many years behind bars. That being said, though, there are male teachers who get slaps on the wrists, too. However, it does all come back to: If you commit a crime, you risk doing the maximum time.

Someone mentioned that there was a mandatory sentence. I'm against mandatory sentences. I believe that the judge should have latitude in the punishment given for a particular crime.

I must say that I think that it's a shame that a jury let Jayson Williams walk for what I thought was murder. It's amazing how celebrities seem to be above the law.

nanandjim said:
Your question involves flawed reasoning, IMO. There are plenty of people that get away with murder. Does that mean that we should prosecute no one who murders?

Martha Stewart did jail time for lying to the feds about insider trading. Many bigger fish are never caught and prosecuted for insider trader. Does that mean that MS should have been given a pass?

Not everyone gets caught, prosecuted and sentences they deserve for crimes committed. However, many do. Laws are there for a reason, people. If you don't like the laws, work to have them changed.

In the meantime ==> If you do the crime, you have to be willing to do the time.

No one--to include this kid--is above the law. He allowed himself to be videotaped, for God's sake. What is wrong with this picture??!! :doh:
I was not commenting on whether anyone should do time for their actions. Absolutely they should! All I meant to say is that I thought the sentence length of 10 years looked to me to be a bit tough and that's why I brought up another case for an example. Another example, vehicular(sp) manslaughter. I have read stories about those people given probation or their drivers licenses taken away. I agree with you completely it's just that I think the laws have to be re worked and yes I also agree that the only way to change things is to get involved and just do it. I live in Canada where the age of consent is 14, it boggles the mind doesn't it? I try to do my part, writing letters etc. It's just very frustrating.

csds703 said:
I think this young boy is in jail because of who he is NOT rather than who he is.

If his going to jail would have hurt the pocketbook of the county he lived in, the boy would be walking the streets today, IMO.

In our local highschool, all parties involved were black.

Race card won't fly in our case.

The students were athletes.

There is money in the athletic program. Money = power. School is business. Business = money.

BTW, this team went to state championship that year! Championship banners bring in Big Bucks for the county government!

What does that say about our LE and justice?

angelwngs said:
...The students were athletes.

There is money in the athletic program. Money = power. School is business. Business = money...
The original article said that this young man was a star athlete...and an honor student. :confused:

I think the entire problem is that there was a mandatory sentence that the judge had to give. That law needs to be changed to consider the circumstances involved. This case may be a catalyst to have it changed.

I'd like to know what the plea bargain deal was that he rejected. Does anyone know?

nanandjim said:
As you have chosen not to respond to my saying in almost every post of mine that this young man broke the law and was prosecuted for breaking the law.

I will agree that it is not fair that EVERYONE who breaks the law is not prosecuted; however, that does not change the fact that he broke the law.

I would venture to say that only a small fraction of those breaking the law are prosecuted. I would also venture to say that this kid had technically broken the law before and had not been caught. He was caught this time because it was videotaped.

When you break the law, no matter how minor and insignificant and petty you may feel that your infraction is, you are subjecting yourself to prosecution.

If you, and others, do not agree with the law, do something about it and get the law changed.

Heck, I can remember being pulled over for speeding, when everyone else was speeding. I also complained and asked the cop why I was the only one getting the ticket. I also told the judge that everyone was speeding; and it wasn't fair that I was the one who got the ticket. Do you think that my complaints fell on deaf ears? I'll stop here and let you ponder if my complaints were successful. :rolleyes:
The parties involved in our highschool situation broke the law, were turned into to LE by the mother of the girl.
LE chose to allow the school system to handle the situation. The school system did virtually nothing.

"Do the crime, do the time." reminds me of another saying,
"The only difference between a prisoner and someone who is free is that the person not in jail just hasn't gotten caught, prosecuted and convicted."

As you confirmed with your remark about your being stopped for speeding, almost every single one of us do things which are illegal. It is just a matter of whether we get caught, who we are, and where and when it happens.

It is very unfortunate that this young man was not an athlete in his home county here in Georgia. I would imagine he would not be behind bars for the next 10 years if it was probable that he could have brought cash to the pockets of county or state government.

As for changing the laws in our state, I think I'll research this young man's case and see if I can contact his Mother. I might not be able to help much, but at least I can offer. I am a former school teacher and I founded our local organization PASS, Parents Actively Supporting Students. Who knows, maybe I might be able to help her in some small way.

bing1 said:
...I thought the sentence length of 10 years looked to me to be a bit tough...
I agree with you and others who have mentioned this. It had to do with a mandatory sentence that the judge had to give to this young man.

I do think that there is gender discrimination in this case and others. Men are often times not given a break where woman are. I know that I was given many breaks in my youth merely because I was a young, attractive female. I realize now how lucky I was. At the time, though, I was an immature, impulsive kid who did what I wanted to without thinking about the consequences or my future.

I truly hope that something can be done for this young man. Ten years is way too long for an immature act committed by this kid and others. It seems to me that probation and community service would have been a more appropriate sentence, especially since he didn't have a prior record, and he was a star athlete and honor student.

That being said, I wonder if there is more involved that we are not hearing.

nanandjim said:
The original article said that this young man was a star athlete...and an honor student. :confused:

I think the entire problem is that there was a mandatory sentence that the judge had to give. That law needs to be changed to consider the circumstances involved. This case may be a catalyst to have it changed.

I'd like to know what the plea bargain deal was that he rejected. Does anyone know?
OMG, if he was indeed an athlete then that means that the LE was not as corrupt in this county as in my own home county!

Maybe there is still hope for the state of GA. ;)

angelwngs said:
...Who knows, maybe I might be able to help her in some small way.
You might be able to do more than you realize. I think that it is a wonderful idea! I really hope that you can help. Let us know. :blowkiss:

Until a few years ago there was a law in the City of Atlanta that stated that it was illegal to walk a chicken on a leash within city limits.

Obviously, Ga Law has needed and still needs some tweaking!

angelwngs said:
Until a few years ago there was a law in the City of Atlanta that stated that it was illegal to walk a chicken on a leash within city limits.

Obviously, Ga Law has needed and still needs some tweaking!
Do you get 10 years if you are caught?
:crazy:

angelwngs said:
The parties involved in our highschool situation broke the law, were turned into to LE by the mother of the girl.
LE chose to allow the school system to handle the situation. The school system did virtually nothing.

"Do the crime, do the time." reminds me of another saying,
"The only difference between a prisoner and someone who is free is that the person not in jail just hasn't gotten caught, prosecuted and convicted."

As you confirmed with your remark about your being stopped for speeding, almost every single one of us do things which are illegal. It is just a matter of whether we get caught, who we are, and where and when it happens.

It is very unfortunate that this young man was not an athlete in his home county here in Georgia. I would imagine he would not be behind bars for the next 10 years if it was probable that he could have brought cash to the pockets of county or state government.

As for changing the laws in our state, I think I'll research this young man's case and see if I can contact his Mother. I might not be able to help much, but at least I can offer. I am a former school teacher and I founded our local organization PASS, Parents Actively Supporting Students. Who knows, maybe I might be able to help her in some small way.

He was actually an ALL CONFERENCE FOOTBALL PLAYER being recruited to play pro football.
The law has been changed in the state but it can't be applied to his case because it happened before they changed the law.

Check this out....

January 24, 2007
GROWING SUPPORT FOR GENARLOW WILSON

ESPN has joined with the New York Times and the Atlanta Journal Constitution in calling for the release of Genarlow Wilson from prison!

Read the article online here: www.espn.com

See an intreview on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360.

Email Georgia lawmakers and urge them to support Senate Bill 37, which would allow Genarlow’s case to be returned to the trial judge to have his sentence corrected and result in his release from prison. Ask them to support changes to the sex offender registry law that would prevent Genarlow from having to register as a sex offender. Thank you to Senators Emanuel Jones, Dan Weber and Kasim Reed for this bi-partisan bill.

To find your state representatives if you live in Georgia go to:
www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/FindLegislator.htm

MORE AT LINK.....

http://www.wilsonappeal.com/update.html

CSDS, Thank you for posting this! I'll see what I can do to help locally! ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susielarios
Back