GA GA - Jenna Van Gelderen, 25, Atlanta, 18 Aug 2017 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our thoughts as well. It was an Egyptian tapestry / buffet cover from around WWII . Never had been appraised so don't know the worth, but its a very odd thing to take. It was in a heavy frame, carefully removed by breaking a small piece of the glass and frame hung back on the wall. The frame definitely takes 2 people to put back up. Glass on the frame appears to have been cleaned as well, very odd

Her toiletries and what not were all still in the bathroom as well,

Hello is it possible you could post an image of the tapestry here?

One more question and i hope this is not too intrusive.
I notice on her fb last yr august there is a death remembrance to grandma. Was the tapestry grandma's and were they very close?

Jenna Van Gelderen is still missing.

Yesterday, her family reported that she had been found and is safe. But the family received bad information from DeKalb County Police, according to her brother.

“It sounds like they thought they had her last night and this morning they told us they made a mistake,” her brother said. “So we’re meeting with the detectives right now to figure out what actually happened.”

A spokesperson for DeKalb Police said there was no miscommunication.

“We never said that we found her,” the spokesperson said. “We are actively investigating.”
http://www.decaturish.com/2017/08/a...ished-from-druid-hills-home-is-still-missing/

I've compiled quite a bit of information on this case, but due to the TOS and just out of respect for Jenna should she come out of this ok, I don't want to air her personal details. However, I do note some allusions to a few romantic ups and downs in her Facebook life, some as far back as 2014.
I cross-referenced a person Jenna appears to have been interested in at one point from college, and noticed that this person's Facebook similarly alludes to things, rather than openly stating who they are seeing. Perhaps they have some insight into her whereabouts.
As far as the tapestry, I can think of a few more reasons it might be missing along with Jenna.
- Jenna accidentally damages it
- Jenna attempts to appraise it
- Jenna takes it, depending on her estimation of its value
- If the piece was somehow related to someone she loved dearly (such as her late grandfather), she may have wanted to have it close
- Thief takes it and figures car, phone, wallet, etc is enough
- No room in car?
- Not experienced?
- No time?
- Throw off “scent” from trail
- Cultural/political motive
- If the piece was displayed in a central location, it may have appeared more valuable than anything else in the house

For those who are more topographically oriented, the neighborhood from which she went missing is Emory Village. Again, I want to respect personal details so I won't include the address but location can be important in putting things together. I trust Websleuths will delete this if inappropriate or undesirable.

I wonder if she wants to be missing so LE can't give a message if they found her.

It is my understanding that they have to disclose if a person has been located and safe. They don't have to give anymore information other than that they are safe, if of course they do not want to be found. The case of Tim Carney comes to mind as it made the news that he was safe but did not want to be found by the family.

I believe this is so the family's can be at ease that their loved one is safe but also so that agencies do not continue to spend additional resources.

Is the house in a remote area? How close or far away are the neighbors? I'm assuming they have been contacted to see if they noticed any activity although it sounds as though this occurred moreso in the wee hours of the night so people may not have seen anything.

https://www.facebook.com/MissingPiecesNetwork/posts/1718425521796952
a2e7b6c2667eaa1a5991cddcce513a8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder what exactly it means that the house was in "some disarray"? Did it look like a burglary or attempted burglary, or that someone had rifled through things? Or did it more look like someone had not cleaned up after themselves/house was not tidy? Left in a hurry?

I also just noticed that the house was locked. It looks like Jenna left (most likely with someone else because of the heavy frame) voluntarily but with an urgency.

Could she have had an accident because she was speeding?

I've compiled quite a bit of information on this case, but due to the TOS and just out of respect for Jenna should she come out of this ok, I don't want to air her personal details. However, I do note some allusions to a few romantic ups and downs in her Facebook life, some as far back as 2014.
I cross-referenced a person Jenna appears to have been interested in at one point from college, and noticed that this person's Facebook similarly alludes to things, rather than openly stating who they are seeing. Perhaps they have some insight into her whereabouts.
As far as the tapestry, I can think of a few more reasons it might be missing along with Jenna.
- Jenna accidentally damages it
- Jenna attempts to appraise it
- Jenna takes it, depending on her estimation of its value
- If the piece was somehow related to someone she loved dearly (such as her late grandfather), she may have wanted to have it close
- Thief takes it and figures car, phone, wallet, etc is enough
- No room in car?
- Not experienced?
- No time?
- Throw off “scent” from trail
- Cultural/political motive
- If the piece was displayed in a central location, it may have appeared more valuable than anything else in the house

For those who are more topographically oriented, the neighborhood from which she went missing is Emory Village. Again, I want to respect personal details so I won't include the address but location can be important in putting things together. I trust Websleuths will delete this if inappropriate or undesirable.

Location is important, hmmn? Emory Village caters to college students? I'm in California, so trying to grasp your meaning about the area.

For example, someone asked whether the neighbors might have heard anything. The houses are VERY close together on a quiet street. There are probably many reasons why such information can help.

It looks like she only lived three miles from her parents (if you look at the addresses on the flyer posted to the "Help Find Jenna" FB page):
https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindJenna/?pnref=story

And her job was practically in walking distance from her apartment so maybe she was used to traveling in that small radius.

I'd think if lights were left on she left her parents' at night.

Could she have planned to run back to her apartment for something or with someone with the intention/hope of being right back?

The tapestry doesn't make sense. Maybe someone just saw it and liked it and wasn't thinking of resale. If they needed money, it just seems like a strange item to take.

Where is the local media on this story? I'm still not seeing anything.

This is just my opinion but she doesn't strike me as someone who would want her family to worry about her, especially not for an entire week.

I see your point, but a tapestry would seem hard to move/cash in

I'm not a local to her area, but has anyone checked out any websites locals may use to sell valuables/collectibles? Maybe even Craig's list? I can't imagine she'd get any significant amount of money selling it to a store/pawn shop type place. I'd guess if she were to sell it, she would get more money from an individual.

I see your point, but a tapestry would seem hard to move/cash in

It also seems like a difficult process to remove it and then hang it back up. If someone were in the house to do harm, then it does not seem like they would care about placing the frame back. Even if it has value wouldn't they just take it and disregard the frame? Also wouldn't it hold more value in the frame, even if it was difficult to move?

Very very strange. I hope she's found safe soon! Prayers are with the family.

Is it possible that she accidentally broke the frame causing damage to the tapestry and then rushed off to have it repaired? I know that is probably a far stretch, but I'm not sure where else to go with this info.

Is it possible that she accidentally broke the frame causing damage to the tapestry and then rushed off to have it repaired? I know that is probably a far stretch, but I'm not sure where else to go with this info.
Sorry everyone been out all day. I would have think we would still have heard from her by now if so.
Also her other phone she was paying for on her own, not sure why. Metro pcs. Would be helpful to see the statements on the phone to see last calls and texts. We have gone through our family TMobile plan to see who she contacted last.

As far as the tapestry we are trying to find a family picture of it somewhere. We don't know if Jenna knew the history on it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The one photo of the table covers on Facebook is clear. I didn't see anything on the usual local sale sites that looked remotely like a vintage Egyptian tapestry. Nothing similar seemed very high dollar, either, (not that the missing one isn't but a specific seller/buyer would appreciate the value more, perhaps, than the random Craigslister looking for some wall art).

I can't imagine using something like that for a functional purpose (wrapping or carrying) when a nearby blanket would serve the same purpose and easier than removing a heavy frame.

Maybe if someone wanted to stage a robbery, taking a big tapestry could make sense because the owner is not likely to overlook its absence like they could with something smaller. It would be the most obvious.

Having two phones could mean she wanted to distinguish between two types of calls, like business and personal. Maybe she used one for her job searching. Or maybe she just wanted her own phone if her parents checked up on her calls, not to hide anything bad, just for overall independence.

It also seems like a difficult process to remove it and then hang it back up. If someone were in the house to do harm, then it does not seem like they would care about placing the frame back. Even if it has value wouldn't they just take it and disregard the frame? Also wouldn't it hold more value in the frame, even if it was difficult to move?

Very very strange. I hope she's found safe soon! Prayers are with the family.
I think they took it from the frame on the wall.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Sorry everyone been out all day. I would have think we would still have heard from her by now if so.
Also her other phone she was paying for on her own, not sure why. Metro pcs. Would be helpful to see the statements on the phone to see last calls and texts. We have gone through our family TMobile plan to see who she contacted last.

As far as the tapestry we are trying to find a family picture of it somewhere. We don't know if Jenna knew the history on it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you would like to get this in the media, please see post #35 above which has email information to contact a reporter,(Nefrititi) who has contacted me and is interested in this story and wants to connect with family. I thought I would post here (not sure if you know you can send/receive private messages in this forum as you are new... scroll up to the top of the page and see if you have "notifications") to let you know ball has been set up for you to move forward as best for you and your family to control the information, and contact her if you wish.

NOTE: She was very good/the best with keeping in the news/working with family of another missing girl in the Atlanta area in the past year. If you are local, I'm sure you are familiar with WSB radio/television.

Good luck and best wishes if you are wanting more media involvement.

wvangelderen, has your family spoken to LE about collection of surveillance videos from the homes and businesses in the area? Many cases are "broken" by obtaining such, and as with phone records, needs to be collected and saved in a timely manner or they are gone forever. It might help to know time/movements/vehicles etc. Also, a case which I follow here was greatly impacted in a positive way as the house alarm, the company did a download and could tell the exact time that the house alarm was set/reset etc.

I haven't heard whether the house she was at had either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member