Found Deceased GA - Jessica Earl, 31, Tallapoosa, 8 June 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I hate sheriff’s statements like the above. It is unprofessional and unnecessary to include statements about “negative comments”. A list of what LE has done to search for Jessica, what they plan to do in the future, and the general “not all info can be released to the public” caveat would be more effective, IMO.

Haralson County Sheriff's Office
2 hrs ·
*******STATEMENT FROM THE SHERIFF*******

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has shown us support in person, phone calls and on social media this past weekend. It is sad that this response even needs to be made, but because of the negative comments on social media, I feel like I have no choice. As of today, there will be no more updates posted on the missing person case of Jessica Victoria Earl. We have been more transparent in this case than any other, trying to keep everyone informed but instead of helping, it has just caused more drama and negativity that has become more of a hindrance and a distraction than it has helped.
I would like to address some of these negative comments, my investigators have worked tirelessly on this case for almost three weeks, working very long hours, day and night and several of them have not had an off day through this until this weekend. We are a small department and we cannot continue at that pace indefinitely, time off was needed so that we can start this investigation again this morning, rested, for our mental as well as physical health. To say that we do not care is wrong, we have worked very hard on this case and will continue to. As for saying the family could not search, I received several calls from property owners Saturday morning upset because they did not want people on their property, which is their right as owners. If permission was given, then it was fine but I was getting calls from ones where it was not okay. I tried to let the family know that they could be arrested if they trespassed and it was not well received.
My Deputies and Investigators will be continuing the search for Jessica, but because of the negativity out there we will not be posting it. Our social media is run by a couple of our investigators and it takes away time from them doing their jobs to write up these releases, so from this point on, they are going to concentrate on finding the missing woman and not updating the public. I have served this county as Sheriff for 14 years and served of this county as a law enforcement officer for many years before. I know that I cannot please everyone and I know there are always going to be those that don’t like me but the amount in inaccurate information and “opinions” posted by people who do not know the facts this weekend just astounded and disappointed me.
As always, I ask that you keep the family in your thoughts and prayers and keep us in your prayers too. We will continue to do our job to the best of our ability.

Sincerely,

Sheriff Eddie Mixon

I wonder if that means they are getting flak from white supremacists in the area looking to defend Odom. Those groups are getting more and more vocal in the last couple years

2 hrs ·

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has shown us support in person, phone calls and on social media this past weekend. It is sad that this response even needs to be made, but because of the negative comments on social media, I feel like I have no choice. As of today, there will be no more updates posted on the missing person case of Jessica Victoria Earl. We have been more transparent in this case than any other, trying to keep everyone informed but instead of helping, it has just caused more drama and negativity that has become more of a hindrance and a distraction than it has helped.
I would like to address some of these negative comments, my investigators have worked tirelessly on this case for almost three weeks, working very long hours, day and night and several of them have not had an off day through this until this weekend. We are a small department and we cannot continue at that pace indefinitely, time off was needed so that we can start this investigation again this morning, rested, for our mental as well as physical health. To say that we do not care is wrong, we have worked very hard on this case and will continue to. As for saying the family could not search, I received several calls from property owners Saturday morning upset because they did not want people on their property, which is their right as owners. If permission was given, then it was fine but I was getting calls from ones where it was not okay. I tried to let the family know that they could be arrested if they trespassed and it was not well received.
My Deputies and Investigators will be continuing the search for Jessica, but because of the negativity out there we will not be posting it. Our social media is run by a couple of our investigators and it takes away time from them doing their jobs to write up these releases, so from this point on, they are going to concentrate on finding the missing woman and not updating the public. I have served this county as Sheriff for 14 years and served of this county as a law enforcement officer for many years before. I know that I cannot please everyone and I know there are always going to be those that don’t like me but the amount in inaccurate information and “opinions” posted by people who do not know the facts this weekend just astounded and disappointed me.
As always, I ask that you keep the family in your thoughts and prayers and keep us in your prayers too. We will continue to do our job to the best of our ability.

Sincerely,

Sheriff Eddie Mixon

Wow. Perhaps they should turn the investigation over to the GBI?

2 hrs ·

Sincerely,

Sheriff Eddie Mixon
Good on this guy. Uninformed and rude comments on social media are getting ridiculous.

Mother of key figure in missing Georgia woman’s case is charged
The mother of a person of interest in the disappearance of a west Georgia woman has been charged with obstructing officers, an investigator said.
Deanna Ann Smith, 56, of Heflin, Ala., was arrested in connection with the Jessica Earl case, according to Channel 2 Action News.
Haralson County Sheriff’s Office investigator Heather Mecillas said Smith led them on a “goose chase,” Channel 2 reported.
upload_2018-7-10_19-19-7.jpeg

Jessica Earl Update: Person of interest insists he has ‘no knowledge’ of missing mom’s whereabouts as family remains desperate for answers
Police in Haralson County, Georgia, say the primary person of interest in the disappearance of a missing mom says he has no idea where she could be
On Monday, however, Odom reportedly opened up to authorities and alleged Earl was using drugs the last time he saw her, and that he had “no knowledge” of her whereabouts. Odom reportedly told detectives that he last saw Earl walking into the wooded area in Tallapoosa, a town around 60 miles west of Atlanta, to search for arrowheads.
According to 11Alive, Odom said he last saw Earlon June 8, the day she vanished and activity ceased on her cellphone. Odom explained to police that Earl could still be using drugs and “hiding out.”

The FB page is rather active these past two days. The mother of the missing is inferring that the HCSO is saying that Jessica has checked into rehab, but she has a plea out for a Private Investigator to come help her family..

The average person might not understand the procedures LE has to follow. I'm certain it is frustrating watching and waiting for information when a loved one is missing, but it can harm the investigation to take the law into your own hands. However, I can certainly understand the desire to do so. Much of the time, investigators are working diligently behind the scenes, even when it appears nothing is being done. As long as the case is open, then LE is still investigating. If they knew where Jessica was, they would close the case and that would be the end of it.

Welcome to Websleuths, jgarris.

Thanks for the welcome, FlossyMay.

As long as the case is open, then LE is still investigating. If they knew where Jessica was, they would close the case and that would be the end of it.

Exactly. I hate that the family feels that they have to do it alone, but there's an extensive & long process for cases such as this - where we know the likely outcome. If she were in rehab, they would have at least marked her as found, which they haven't.

I'm not sure if this link is allowed. Please delete if not allowed. This article has some info I have not seen previously.

Odom’s mother, Deanna Ann Smith, 56, of Heflin, was arrested last week for reportedly giving police a false statement. Authorities also arrested Tyla Toliver, 31, and Candy Chandler, 40, for allegedly giving Odom a ride on June 21 to a residence in Villa Rica, Georgia, with the knowledge that authorities were looking for him. According to the police, Tyler and Chandler never contacted authorities to disclosed Odom’s whereabouts

Jessica Earl Update: Person of interest insists he has ‘no knowledge’ of missing mom’s whereabouts as family remains desperate for answers

August 29, 2018
Reward fund for missing woman reaches $13K after worried mom takes out loan to help find her daughter

Jessica-Earl-and-Sandee-King-.jpg

The mother of a missing Georgia woman is hoping that an increased reward fund will lead to information on her daughter, who disappeared in June 8 from a town located around 57 miles northwest of Atlanta.
---
Seth Odom, 36, remains behind bars on a felony probation violation for a previous conviction of grand theft auto. A woman he reportedly dated, Jessica Victoria Earl, 31, of Tallapoosa, has been missing singe June 8. Odom was allegedly the last person to see Earl. Upon his arrest, Odom immediately requested an attorney and stopped speaking with investigators. Odom is not currently charged with Earl’s disappearance.

A few days after his arrest, Odom reportedly decided to talk. He allegedly told authorities that Earl was using drugs the last time he saw her, and that he had “no knowledge” of her whereabouts. Odom reportedly told detectives that he last saw Earl walking into the wooded area in Tallapoosa, a town around 60 miles west of Atlanta, to search for arrowheads.

According to 11Alive, Odom said he last saw Earl on June 8, the day she vanished and activity ceased on her cellphone. Odom explained to police that Earl could still be using drugs and “hiding out.”

CrimeOnline spoke with King, who explained that she felt Odom was lying to cover his tracks. The worried mother said Earl called a friend in a panic the same day she disappeared, afraid that Odom would hurt her.

“She was not on drugs. She called to best friend in the midst of having a panic attack begging for a ride away from there. She was hysterical and the police have already confirmed the phone calls to her friend through her phone records. She wasn’t looking for arrowheads, she was looking for a ride because he was wouldn’t give her the keys back to the car she borrowed from the same friend she called.”

Witnesses also confirmed that Earl and Odom were fighting on the day she disappeared, 11 Alive reports, and that Earl tried to retrieve the car keys and leave when Odom allegedly hid them.

King said that her daughter had gotten a refund check from the IRS for $5,463 four days before she disappeared. Earl reportedly gave Odom $500 to buy her son a 4-Wheeler ATV, but when Odom failed to purchase it and refused to give Earl her money back, the pair got into a fight, according to King.
---
Shortly after her disappearance, Odom went into hiding.For weeks, Haralson County authorities, the GBI, and the Paulding-Haralson Drug Task Force searched for Odom, but had no luck locating him. Numerous people have been arrested for allegedly helping Odom evade capture.

Odom’s mother, Deanna Ann Smith, 56, of Heflin, was arrested in June for reportedly giving police a false statement. Authorities also arrested Tyla Toliver, 31, and Candy Chandler, 40, for allegedly giving Odom a ride on June 21 to a residence in Villa Rica, Georgia, with the knowledge that authorities were looking for him. According to the police, Tyler and Chandler never contacted authorities to disclosed Odom’s whereabouts.

Odom turned himself in voluntarily.

While it’s unclear why Odom decided to turn himself in, authorities reported he had a snake bite on his leg with an infected wound when he surrendered. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment before being transferred to jail.

Reward fund for missing woman reaches $13K after worried mom takes out loan to help find her daughter

(some parts above bolded by me for importance)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odyssey2024
Back