GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am way behind on this case, so I'm hoping someone can refresh my memory.... Didn't EC call her dad and brother that night and they arrived at the park? If so, what time did they get to the park? Were they together?

I know her father was notified and he was there by the time media got there. I don't know about her brother.

... IMO what Velazquez says is what's important. How HE answers the questions.
As for the intimate attack part--- The detective makes it pretty clear that he doesn't think she knew her attacker.

Snippped and bolded.

Does he? I'm curious whether everyone got that impression. I relistened to it a couple of times, starting at about 4:37 or so, and I'm not sure he "clearly" dismisses that theory.

IMO, etc.

Wondering if these people have managed to get a good night's sleep since that night of horror? imo.
Katherine Janness: Police Share Photos of Possible Witnesses After Atlanta Woman & Dog Found Dead in Popular Park – Crime Online
by Leigh Egan
August 3, 2021 rbbm.
witness5.jpg

Officials didn’t say that anyone involved in these photos is a suspect in the case, but it’s possible they could have seen something that can assist with the investigation.
Witness-1-.jpg

Possible witness/Atlanta PD

Authorities have not released a possible suspect’s name or description at this time in Janness’ murder. The FBI has joined in on the investigation.

witness-2-.jpg

Atlanta police is currently offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the suspect’s arrest and indictment. Animal rights group PETA added in $10,000, doubling the reward to $20,000.

If you have any information that could help with the investigation, please call the Atlanta Police Homicide Unit at 404-546-4235 or Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.

“We want the public to know that the park is safe,” Chata Sparks, APD’s director of public affairs, said.

I am way behind on this case, so I'm hoping someone can refresh my memory.... Didn't EC call her dad and brother that night and they arrived at the park? If so, what time did they get to the park? Were they together?
One of the interviews or video calls EC did with MSM she stated the she called her brother, AC, after calling 911 & he called JC. JC came to the park from Fayetteville & stayed, speaking to detectives, while EC sat in the back of an APD vehicle for several hrs. The 11alive news videos from that morning shows JC for a second or 2 w/a black tshirt on. From research I did, I found that AC lives or lived very close to CA & 10th St w/ his BF. I never saw him in any of those videos but he is in one of the vigil videos. I don't believe he came to the park that night, IMO. EC was taken to APD precinct for several more hrs, questioned, photographed, her phone was taken by investigators & her apt was searched while she was there. I would speculate that her clothes were taken as well since she was physically in the crime scene. EC & JC did numerous interviews approximately 38 hrs after the murders. She has a white t in some & a black t in some. There are close up shots of her face neck arms & hands. She doesn't have a mark on her. JC has shorts & shirt on & does not appear to have any injuries. I have never seen an interview or heard any comments from her brother nor heard anything at all about her mother. I got alot from watching the interviews EC did as well as the 1st video 11alive news did that morning.

Who cares what the interviewer said. People misspeak all the time. I think that was just a mistake when asking the question. I know I would be a little excited and nervous to be asking Vince Velazquez the questions we are all dying to know. IMO what Velazquez says is what's important. How HE answers the questions.
As for the intimate attack part--- The detective makes it pretty clear that he doesn't think she knew her attacker. He has to add that LE can't rule anyone out because that's the way investigations work. The focus of the FOX 5 story was on the lack of DNA evidence, which is really the biggest piece of new information to come from the interview. Apparently they couldn't pull an adequate DNA sample from Bowie's teeth for testing, which is a huge disappointment.

OK AGGRO.

He does NOT make it "clear" that Katie didn't know her attacker. In fact, he says that the most obvious POI would be someone who knew her. He says an intimate attack can not be discounted until the case is solved. So, NO, it's not "clear."

Wondering if these people have managed to get a good night's sleep since that night of horror? imo.
Katherine Janness: Police Share Photos of Possible Witnesses After Atlanta Woman & Dog Found Dead in Popular Park – Crime Online
by Leigh Egan
August 3, 2021 rbbm.
witness5.jpg

Officials didn’t say that anyone involved in these photos is a suspect in the case, but it’s possible they could have seen something that can assist with the investigation.
Witness-1-.jpg

Authorities have not released a possible suspect’s name or description at this time in Janness’ murder. The FBI has joined in on the investigation.

witness-2-.jpg

Atlanta police is currently offering a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the suspect’s arrest and indictment. Animal rights group PETA added in $10,000, doubling the reward to $20,000.

If you have any information that could help with the investigation, please call the Atlanta Police Homicide Unit at 404-546-4235 or Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.

“We want the public to know that the park is safe,” Chata Sparks, APD’s director of public affairs, said.
The jogger almost certainly has relevant information. He is entering the scene of the crime in the time frame it could have been committed. Why did he run in and then right back out. I thought maybe he went in to use the toilet right there, but that was pretty fast. Maybe the toilet was busy, or closed. But he ran right into where Bowie should have been visible. So he should have seen him. But if he didn't see anything, that in itself is very important.

As for the other people in the photos, the timing or location is interesting. Some were leaving well before the attack could of occurred or where far away when it likely was occurred. So I doubt any are the killer, with the possible exception of the hoodie guy. I think the police wanted to talk to them to ask them what/who else they saw in the park.

by Leigh Egan
August 3, 2021 rbbm.
witness5.jpg

Witness-1-.jpg

witness-2-.jpg

Referencing the second pair of photos above, the man who is walking, appearing to be looking at a book or phone, with what appears to be a walking stick of some sort, what is that spot on his ribcage? Is that blood?

I haven't read the autopsy report. Just. Cannot. If Bowie was injured first, are any of Katherine's injuries consistent with her, bent over Bowie in grief or aid?

Such a tragic loss of life. Tragic and brutal.

JMO

Referencing the second pair of photos above, the man who is walking, appearing to be looking at a book or phone, with what appears to be a walking stick of some sort, what is that spot on his ribcage? Is that blood?

I haven't read the autopsy report. Just. Cannot. If Bowie was injured first, are any of Katherine's injuries consistent with her, bent over Bowie in grief or aid?

Such a tragic loss of life. Tragic and brutal.

JMO
There has been a lot of discussion of the photo of the guy with the cane and possible blood on his shirt. But this photo was taken at 12/25 and at the 12th st gate. That is around 600 meters from the murder scene. I don't think the killer could have covered that distance.

Paul Holes (who was basically responsible for finally identifying The Golden State Killer) has a podcast with Billy Jensen (a true crime author). They covered this case shortly after it happened but then aired an update after the autopsy report was released. His analysis is VERY interesting. The segment on KJ starts a little after 23 minutes: ‎Jensen and Holes: The Murder Squad: Season 3 Finale: Updates on Apple Podcasts
I still stand by my assertion that EC had absolutely nothing to do with this.

The jogger almost certainly has relevant information. He is entering the scene of the crime in the time frame it could have been committed. Why did he run in and then right back out. I thought maybe he went in to use the toilet right there, but that was pretty fast. Maybe the toilet was busy, or closed. But he ran right into where Bowie should have been visible. So he should have seen him. But if he didn't see anything, that in itself is very important.

As for the other people in the photos, the timing or location is interesting. Some were leaving well before the attack could of occurred or where far away when it likely was occurred. So I doubt any are the killer, with the possible exception of the hoodie guy. I think the police wanted to talk to them to ask them what/who else they saw in the park.
That’s exactly my thoughts as well. That jogger should have noticed Bowie. At the very least. Like…..how could he have not? Also why did he run in and then right back out? I thought about the restroom as well, but if he did go to use it, it would have been nearly impossible not to see Bowie. He has a light in his head, specifically to SEE what was in front of him. If he didn’t see him, does that mean they were still alive and not there yet? If that’s the case, then she would have been walking the dog for like 2 hours. Also they found her close to 1am, if the dog was not present when the jogger came in at nearly 12:50, that’s leaves a 10 minute window to be killed. There’s no way.
So that timeline doesn’t add up either.

What time exactly did EC say she first tracked her and noticed the dot wasn’t moving?

That’s exactly my thoughts as well. That jogger should have noticed Bowie. At the very least. Like…..how could he have not? Also why did he run in and then right back out? I thought about the restroom as well, but if he did go to use it, it would have been nearly impossible not to see Bowie. He has a light in his head, specifically to SEE what was in front of him. If he didn’t see him, does that mean they were still alive and not there yet? If that’s the case, then she would have been walking the dog for like 2 hours. Also they found her close to 1am, if the dog was not present when the jogger came in at nearly 12:50, that’s leaves a 10 minute window to be killed. There’s no way.

What time exactly did EC say she first tracked her and noticed the dot wasn’t moving?

I talk to a lot of couples, and have been very surprised by how many couples have this app, that tracks each other. I can't wrap my head around it.

I have never asked them why they put that on their phones. It seems strange to me. ?

I talk to a lot of couples, and have been very surprised by how many couples have this app, that tracks each other. I can't wrap my head around it.

I have never asked them why they put that on their phones. It seems strange to me. ?
A lot of people/couples use the app in case their phone gets lost or stolen. If your spouse/partner has the app and access, you can use their phone to find your phone.

Exactly. If the jogger did NOT see Bowie, then the attack occurred after 12:46. That leaves 15 minutes or so before EC found Katie for the murder. However, as you pointed out, EC said she saw Katie's phone not moving and headed to the park, but I don't recall if she ever said what time that was she first saw that. It take at LEAST 5-10 for her to get to the park I think. So as you said, that leaves a VERY tight window. I think its more likely the attack occurred between 12:25 and 12:40ish. It is also possible that the jogger scared off the killer from doing further mutilation.

I thought that too, kind of, but I would be completely shocked if this was a random psychotic killing. I still believe it’s very intimate and personal. If this person was random and just mentally ill, there would be more victims. Or at least another attack of some sorts. You don’t just attack and kill one time and then all of the sudden you are better, sans a mental illness. When you’re sick like that…..people notice. And you do odd things everywhere…
Right. It’s odd to me that Mr. Velazquez said that a person—unknown to Katie—with serious mental illness could have committed this crime AND left no DNA. That doesn’t add up IMO. I’m also surprised he went on record stating or strongly suggesting there is no DNA.

My partner and I enabled location tracking precisely because of KJ. We have a very healthy, trusting relationship (admittedly, a first for me) so it’s not as if we are “stalking” one another or anything. It just offers a little peace of mind for me to know that, if I got into trouble somehow, he could potentially know where I am. I completely understand if it’s not something other couples would want or feel comfortable with but, for me, it makes me feel safer in this crazy city.

Right. It’s odd to me that Mr. Velazquez said that a person—unknown to Katie—with serious mental illness could have committed this crime AND left no DNA. That doesn’t add up IMO. I’m also surprised he went on record stating or strongly suggesting there is no DNA.

In this pandemic era, I can see how someone might not leave dna. Most people wear masks nowadays so if the killer had on a mask, it could’ve prevented saliva from dropping on the scene. They could’ve also had gloves or a hat on as well. The killer could’ve been bald. The killer may have had an antisocial personality disorder. KJ may have run into a demonic psychopath that was looking to kill someone that night. Even though those type of people are not what we consider to be “in their right” mind, they can still be coherent or intelligent enough to clean up a crime scene.

My source that told me apd does not know who committed this crime also said that EC did not commit this crime. IMO that maybe why Velasquez said it doesn’t appear that there was an intimate connection. However, he couldn’t rule it out completely because once the puzzle pieces come together they may find a connection between the murderer and someone that KJ knew intimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95