GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 50 wounds, most were incised. I believe that means like an incision or cut. The deep stab type wounds IMO were very precise. The horizontal line in the 'A', the lower back to the cleft, the verticle midline from below the sternum to the lower abdomen, back to the lung, back to the heart & the neck wounds. Just speculating that this was not a frenzied, disorganized attack by someone inexperienced with a knife. Just horrible & evil cold-blooded animal.
The 4 minute press conference earlier today by the Deputy Chief & the Homicide Commander sounded very positive to me. There was no 'we have no idea' or 'no one has been eliminated ' type comments. It appears Atl PD has alot of pieces to this odd case they just have to put them all together. Hopefully very, very soon.
JMHO.
What gave me hope was when he said, they have pieces to the puzzle, and they’re putting them together. Sounds like they know, they are just building the case and tying up loose ends.

Atlanta Police getting closer to making an arrest in brutal Piedmont Park stabbing case

Atlanta police continue search for Piedmont Park killer

I've been mulling over two cases (both in the 2003-2004 range) where the victim's tattoos were mutilated or removed. The first is Jessica Taylor (Long Island NY). Jessica's tattoo was "Remy's Angel" (Remy was her pimp), and it was repeatedly slashed (and her body was further dismembered). Remy was reportedly in jail when she was killed. Jessica's murderer is unknown but is suspected to be LISK (Long Island Serial Killer). The second is Donna Bennett Johnston murdered by serial killer Sean Vincent Gillis. Gillis mutilated Donna's body and gouged out a tattoo of a butterfly on her thigh. Gillis and Donna had been friends for 10 years. Donna was his eighth and final victim.

I've been on the fence as to whether Katie's killer was known to her and was leaning towards random. However, the mention of "electronic evidence" (per your link) has me on the fence once again. All I know at this point is, I agree with an earlier post by @msfrisk... the killer wanted to erase Katie's identity. Rage, control and hate seem to be the motivation (imo).

Links to the other cases for anyone possibly interested.

Victim: Jessica Taylor

Sean Vincent Gillis - Wikipedia

Over 50 wounds, most were incised. I believe that means like an incision or cut. The deep stab type wounds IMO were very precise. The horizontal line in the 'A', the lower back to the cleft, the verticle midline from below the sternum to the lower abdomen, back to the lung, back to the heart & the neck wounds. Just speculating that this was not a frenzied, disorganized attack by someone inexperienced with a knife. Just horrible & evil cold-blooded animal.
The 4 minute press conference earlier today by the Deputy Chief & the Homicide Commander sounded very positive to me. There was no 'we have no idea' or 'no one has been eliminated ' type comments. It appears Atl PD has alot of pieces to this odd case they just have to put them all together. Hopefully very, very soon.
JMHO.
What gave me hope was when he said, they have pieces to the puzzle, and they’re putting them together. Sounds like they know, they are just building the case and tying up loose ends.
I've been mulling over two cases (both in the 2003-2004 range) where the victim's tattoos were mutilated or removed. The first is Jessica Taylor (Long Island NY). Jessica's tattoo was "Remy's Angel" (Remy was her pimp), and it was repeatedly slashed (and her body was further dismembered). Remy was reportedly in jail when she was killed. Jessica's murderer is unknown but is suspected to be LISK (Long Island Serial Killer). The second is Donna Bennett Johnston murdered by serial killer Sean Vincent Gillis. Gillis mutilated Donna's body and gouged out a tattoo of a butterfly on her thigh. Gillis and Donna had been friends for 10 years. Donna was his eighth and final victim.

I've been on the fence as to whether Katie's killer was known to her and was leaning towards random. However, the mention of "electronic evidence" (per your link) has me on the fence once again. All I know at this point is, I agree with an earlier post by @msfrisk... the killer wanted to erase Katie's identity. Rage, control and hate seem to be the motivation (imo).

Links to the other cases for anyone possibly interested.

Victim: Jessica Taylor

Sean Vincent Gillis - Wikipedia
exactly. I don’t think a random psycho would want to erase the identity of someone they’ve never met. Seems a bit odd. Also, nothing was taken from her….so a homeless person robbing her was not a motive. So, the only thing left is personal.

also, electronic evidence tells me they may have something on someone’s cell phone. Whose phone though? Maybe they geofenced and they caught a phone in the area at that same time?

exactly. I don’t think a random psycho would want to erase the identity of someone they’ve never met. Seems a bit odd. Also, nothing was taken from her….so a homeless person robbing her was not a motive. So, the only thing left is personal.

also, electronic evidence tells me they may have something on someone’s cell phone. Whose phone though? Maybe they geofenced and they caught a phone in the area at that same time?
We already know some of their electronic evidence. LE has exactly what time KJ was in the rainbow crosswalk, what time people walked in and out of the park entrances, what time EC says she looked at KJ's phone's location and saw she was not moving within PP.

I agree, they could maybe track KJ, EC, witnesses, and possible suspect(s) routes via cell and camera footage from that night. That's hopeful, especially with the biological and other evidence.

Yes! That news report was short but hopeful! I, too, wondered if there was the (legal) ability of a geofencing warrant in this case.

It's weird how I waffle back and forth on stranger vs known killer in this case. Yes, it seems unlikely a random psycho could want to erase her identity. But, on the other hand, the killer could want to erase what they "perceived" Katie to represent (a strong woman who jilted them in the past, an LGBTQ advocate, etc etc.). Heck, I've probably read too many crime/mystery novels and watched too much Scandi/Nordic noir (just watched season 2 of "Those Who Kill") to settle on a solid theory.

"There is no full sample of DNA, there is no DNA from what I know to test, so this is really going to be a case, I think, where old school detective work where leather hits the pavement," said retired Atlanta homicide detective Vince Velazquez, who consulted with the lead detective on this case.

Investigators will have to rely on a possible profile and good old-fashion police work in solving the murder of Katie Janness who was found dead in Piedmont Park at the end of July 2021.

Velazquez said right now there doesn't seem to be an intimate connection between Janness and the killer.

"The other element that a lot of people don't understand...people with mental illness. We've had cases like this. In their mind, whatever voices their hearing or whatever demons, they're fighting, it's transferred into that object. It could be that person and there really isn't an intimate connection," Velazquez said.

He said any small lead can be the thing to break this case and anyone who may have witnessed something that night out of place, out of the ordinary, no matter how big or small, should come forward. It might be the difference between letting a potentially violent predator go free and justice for Janness, not to mention the peace of mind for an entire city.

'We are getting close': Atlanta police say Piedmont Park murder investigation still 'very active'

Atlanta police say probe into Katie Janness murder moving in 'right direction' | Fox News
''Police Deputy Chief Charles Hampton Jr., said the case was "very active" and that detectives were meeting regularly with the FBI and working leads that come in almost weekly.

"We are getting close, in my opinion," he said. "We have not deemed this a cold case because we continue to work leads."

Homicide Commander Ralph Woolfolk said investigators were still assessing biological, physical and electronic evidence.

"We do believe that this investigation is moving in the right direction," he said. "We look forward to where the pieces of the puzzle are being put together as it pertains to this case."

This sounds kinda optimistic but it also sounds a lot like police-speak.
The same type vibe and the same type words were said by LE after the Delphi murders in Indiana and unfortunately we’re nearly five years out on that one.
Color me “cautiously optimistic”.

"There is no full sample of DNA, there is no DNA from what I know to test, so this is really going to be a case, I think, where old school detective work where leather hits the pavement," said retired Atlanta homicide detective Vince Velazquez, who consulted with the lead detective on this case.

Investigators will have to rely on a possible profile and good old-fashion police work in solving the murder of Katie Janness who was found dead in Piedmont Park at the end of July 2021.

Velazquez said right now there doesn't seem to be an intimate connection between Janness and the killer.

"The other element that a lot of people don't understand...people with mental illness. We've had cases like this. In their mind, whatever voices their hearing or whatever demons, they're fighting, it's transferred into that object. It could be that person and there really isn't an intimate connection," Velazquez said.

He said any small lead can be the thing to break this case and anyone who may have witnessed something that night out of place, out of the ordinary, no matter how big or small, should come forward. It might be the difference between letting a potentially violent predator go free and justice for Janness, not to mention the peace of mind for an entire city.

Where/when are these quotes from? Recent, or from a few months ago?

'We are getting close': Atlanta police say Piedmont Park murder investigation still 'very active'
I'm astounded that there's no full sample of DNA (according to the quoted person). Not on KJ, not on Bowie, not anywhere from the crime scene?

Last edited:
I’m just really, really surprised that the killer didn’t cut themselves during the commission of this crime and leave blood at the scene. Or maybe they did but the sample wasn’t usable? What would cause DNA not to be a “full sample”? I wonder if this is a case where they will end up tracking the killer by finding relatives.

Last edited:
It had been reported early on that there MAY have been evidence on Bowie and I guess we all assumed that might be DNA. But I guess that maybe wasn't correct.
Seriously, how does a person go about taking down a pitbull and a grown woman, in close enough contact to cut and stab them to death, in a relatively small window of time, and not leave behind any full sample of DNA? The killer didn't leave behind blood or saliva or fluids or hair or sweat or anything enough for a full sample? I mean, Bowie didn't get in a bite or scratch, and with all KJ's defense wounds, she didn't get in a scratch or hair pull or cut? How the **** did the killer do it so cleanly?

I’m just really, really surprised that the killer didn’t cut themselves during the commission of this crime and leave blood at the scene. Or maybe they did but the sample wasn’t usable? What would cause DNA not to be a “full sample”? I wonder if this is a case where they will end up tracking the killer by finding realities.
Wondering if the ''incomplete DNA'' might have come from some sort of remnants in the dog's mouth, ie skin/clothing? speculation, imo.
Jan 4 2022

Seriously, how does a person go about taking down a pitbull and a grown woman, in close enough contact to cut and stab them to death, in a relatively small window of time, and not leave behind any full sample of DNA? The killer didn't leave behind blood or saliva or fluids or hair or sweat or anything enough for a full sample? I mean, Bowie didn't get in a bite or scratch, and with all KJ's defense wounds, she didn't get in a scratch or hair pull or cut? How the **** did the killer do it so cleanly?

Very well planned out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member