GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone think of crimes that sound similar to what we know happened here?
I know about Little Rock. Any in other states or GA? Even if they have been solved i would like to read about them.
Patrick Boland was in Piedmont Park in 2008
Not exactly similar but here are a few park related ones.
-Roger's Park case in Chicago
-Malibu Creek case
There are many national park and woods ones, the Yuba County 5 is a pretty interesting old cold case.
(I should probably stop before I get profiled as having an unhealthy knowledge of park related cold cases : )

Seriously!?! What is wrong with this woman? I tried to listen but she has Sieden on? (Seiden, sorry). Isn't he the reporter that gave incorrect info from a bad source? No thanks. I want to hear facts not fiction.

Very good points. I'm slogging through the podcast anyway and about half done. One of her "experts" said he was sure that the dog was killed first. Nancy then agreed with him. I don't agree because if someone grabbed my dog and started stabbing it you can bet I'd be yelling my head off. "Stop! what are you doing!" etc. That would have attracted a ton of attention. I have read that some people here said they would not scream if scared badly, and I agree that happens, but if someone grabs your dog (or child, say) and starts stabbing it, that paralysis probably wouldn't be there, and you'd be yelling. So to me, it would not have happened in that order. I think Katie was attacked first, and then the dog, which would explain how Bowie would have had time and reason to attack the attacker, and why some reporters have said Bowie has DNA on him.

I thought the same thing. But if she did think she was being followed, would she then go into the park? I'd head for home!

I would head anywhere but home to avoid them following me home - and probably zig zag like what has been suggested in earlier posts. However, I would also text my SO to let them know I thought I was in danger? It does not sound like Emma heard anything from Katie after Katie left Henry’s. If Katie felt she was in danger / being followed, that’s where I get confused - why not let Emma know so she could have picked them up?

has there been more video released? She was zig-zagging where?
To my knowledge, nothing else has been released. I think the zigzag theory is based on the still shot of Katie and Bowie walking across the crosswalk at an angle (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't find anything unusual in them crossing at an angle. It was probably simply more convenient for where Katie wanted to go. Some people won't even bother going to the crosswalks when traffic is quieter.

I was just saying this to my friends. Very quiet the last 3-4 days. And quiet about the missing teen too … despite the FBI being involved there as well. Fox5 was reporting almost 1-2x/day on Katie’s case and then over the weekend went very quiet. Either lack of intel from APD or lack of sources speaking up to talk (Emma not wanting to talk anymore?). This is all that had come out (aside from Nancy Grace):
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/calls-for-more-cameras-better-lighting-after-piedmont-park-murder
Calls for more cameras, better lighting after Piedmont Park murder

The news came out with updates today on older incidents in Atlanta, though, which thought was interesting.

Things won’t be quiet tomorrow - at least relating to the missing teen. She is home safe:

https://twitter.com/murphycbs46/status/1425320580698488834?s=21

I would head anywhere but home to avoid them following me home - and probably zig zag like what has been suggested in earlier posts. However, I would also text my SO to let them know I thought I was in danger? It does not sound like Emma heard anything from Katie after Katie left Henry’s. If Katie felt she was in danger / being followed, that’s where I get confused - why not let Emma know so she could have picked them up?

I agree but I wouldn't head to a park either. I don't think she was being followed

To my knowledge, nothing else has been released. I think the zigzag theory is based on the still shot of Katie and Bowie walking across the crosswalk at an angle (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't find anything unusual in them crosswalk at an angle. It was probably simply more convenient for where Katie wanted to go. Some people won't even bother going to the crosswalks when traffic is quieter.
What they mean by "zig zagging", is when she crossed the rainbow crosswalk, she is crossing in the direction away from the park, so then she, theoretically, walked the sidewalk across the street from the park and had to go through a crosswalk again to get back to the other side of the street to enter Piedmont Park.
I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense.

Last edited:
Can anyone think of crimes that sound similar to what we know happened here?
I know about Little Rock. Any in other states or GA? Even if they have been solved i would like to read about them.

The only one that has caught my attention is the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing back in early June (6/5, I think). I remember thinking how senseless it was. But it may not be relevant at all to Katie’s case - as the suspect in the greenway stabbing case (JC) was denied bond on 6/11 - so I am assuming he was still in the Dekalb County jail when Katie was killed. But I don’t know how to check..

One would not think that a suspect who had recently randomly stabbed a pregnant woman while she was walking on a local greenway trail with her 3 year old son, - and who had 12 previous arrests in the state of GA, - and who was out on bail for two prior offenses at the time of the greenway trail stabbing - would have been free and out on the streets of ATL 6 weeks later and near Piedmont Park when Katie was murdered - but stranger things have happened.

Imo, the similarities and pertinent info between the two cases include:

-both stabbings took place in an urban park, on a paved trail/road (and both victims were technically not alone)

-both stabbings appear to have been for no apparent reason whatsoever

-police said they thought the greenway trail stabbing suspect was mentally ill and homeless

-the judge in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing felt that the subject was a risk to the community

-police in the Peachtree Creek greenway case said that the suspect (CJ), confessed

-CJ was arrested for the Peachtree Creek greenway crime - not in Brookhaven, but down in Midtown, near Piedmont Park.

- a video of the suspect in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing showed a man in a white tank top (probably unrelated to KJ’s case, but worth mentioning, imo)

So, if the suspect in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing was (for some reason) out of jail and in midtown on 7/27 and 7/28, he would certainly be somebody I think LE should look at. But again, it would be a moot point if he was in Dekalb Co. Jail at the time.

I’m not very good at sleuthing that kind of info. Does anybody know how to determine whether CJ was out on bail/bond at the time Katie was killed (after initially being denied bond on 6/11)? Tia

All pure speculation.

I know how meaningful every last moment of life is when you suddenly, unexpectedly, and tragically lose someone you love, I think that Katie and Bowie's last photo walking across that rainbow will always be a significant memory.
May their memory be a blessing.

I know how meaningful every last moment of life is when you suddenly, unexpectedly, and tragically lose someone you love, I think that Katie and Bowie's last photo walking across that rainbow will always be a significant memory.
May their memory be a blessing.
Absolutely...I don't even know them and my heart is so broken over this!

I'm new here but am following this thread because Katie and Bowie's murders haunt me. As a longtime intown Atlanta resident, I'm used to Atlanta crime -- was robbed twice, once at gunpoint, years ago in Inman Park/ATL -- but immediately knew that Katie and Bowie's murders were very different.

Those who say it's possible Katie couldn't scream if surprised are probably right. Many years ago, I walked through a grassy park-like area leading to Inman Park's MARTA station parking lot. Although it was an early December evening, it was dark. A young man, seemingly coming out of nowhere, hit me in the back of the head with rock. I was shocked and tried to scream but no sound came out..... Have you ever woken from a bad dream and noticed you are trying to scream as you wake but are seemingly paralyzed? It's exactly like that.

I drive past Piedmont Park's community memorial site as I travel to and from work each day. I pray for Katie, Bowie, Emma, and Katie's mother each time I do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member