GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few quick comments:
Hoodie person:
Wouldn't read into someone wearing a hoodie in approx. 75 degree weather.
Timing would be difficult as well. If Katie is seen crossing the sidewalk at 12:07/12:09, and it takes 10-15 minutes to get to where the bodies were found we're looking at roughly 12:20.
If we presume it takes 10 minutes to get from location of bodies to 12th St entrance, that would give us at best 15 minute window for both the gruesome murder of Katie and the killing of Bowie. The hoodie person is seen on photo/video wearing light pants with with no noticeable staining.
Additionally if one just finished frenzied killings they would likely not be casually strolling to the most lit up entrance to park while looking at their phone.

DNA:
If found, results and analysis already is available/should be available soon.

Other evidence:
It's a big park and doubtful the police scoured and scooped up every possible piece of evidence throughout it.

Cars being used:
In the photos/videos the gates are all shown as being closed to vehicular traffic. Furthermore they would be seen by cameras and if anything would help make the case much easier to solve.

Misc:
Removing 'hiding spots' in the park is not realistic, it would no longer be a park in that case.

Two days ago, it was 90 degrees in the afternoon and while I was driving (just north of Atlanta) I saw a young man wearing jeans, two coats, layered, and a face mask, the winter kind that covers your head and neck. He walked up to the corner and then ran across the street. It's not uncommon around here to see anything and everything when it comes to fashion. Might have something to do with not wanting people to identify you for a lot of different reasons. Or, just how a person wants to look. So by itself, the way he was dressed was not suspicious to me, especially at night when it was 77 degrees.
I learned something interesting today through a podcast (RadioLab). There is a phenomenon among some people with schizophrenia called “clothing redundancy” where they will dress in layers that—to most other people—would seem unusual and even uncomfortable for the current weather. They interviewed a young man with schizophrenia who specifically mentioned wearing a hoodie during hot humid weather because it made him feel secure both physically and emotionally.
I’m not suggesting that the man in the surveillance footage (or the one you saw the other day) is suffering from schizophrenia; I just thought it was interesting.
Personally, I don’t think he was involved in the murder but I could certainly be wrong.

I learned something interesting today through a podcast (RadioLab). There is a phenomenon among some people with schizophrenia called “clothing redundancy” where they will dress in layers that—to most other people—would seem unusual and even uncomfortable for the current weather. They interviewed a young man with schizophrenia who specifically mentioned wearing a hoodie during hot humid weather because it made him feel secure both physically and emotionally.
I’m not suggesting that the man in the surveillance footage (or the one you saw the other day) is suffering from schizophrenia; I just thought it was interesting.
Personally, I don’t think he was involved in the murder but I could certainly be wrong.

That’s a very good point. I can vouch for the “clothing redundancy” @SleepyLabRat (I love your name! :)). Over the years, my small town has “hosted” several homeless men who were clearly mentally ill…talked to themselves, lamp posts, puddles, etc. I always wondered why they wore layers of clothing, including coats, on the hottest days (90’s to over 100) and learned the same thing you did.

While it may have nothing to do with the hoody guy, it’s good information to file away for other cases.

If you go back and listen to the press conference with the mayor and apd, you’ll notice detective Hampton says “we have a duty to abide by the laws of the courts and the rules of evidence. We’ll be wrong to put out a lot of information to the public.”

My translation of that is that they have a suspect in mind, they just can’t say anything or arrest the person yet because they don’t have enough evidence from a legal standpoint to get a warrant. Like I said previously, my boyfriend is a homicide investigator and a lot of times he knows who his suspect is…but just doesn’t have enough evidence to get a judge to sign off on a warrant. When that happens, he has to keep trying until he has enough evidence. Sometimes all they need is one eyewitness or one small detail that they previously overlooked and it can take some time.

I appreciate the need to make the charges stick and keep the perpetrator in jail but particularly in a case like this there has to be some LE responsibility to inform the public if only to address the very legitimate ongoing fear.
If they have a suspect in mind and can't arrest right now, obviously don't do anything to tip that person off. But they better have constant eyes on him and better be able to ensure that he doesn't attack or kill anyone else while they're building a case. I don't know if they could put out a.public request looking for" POI " (and share name and photo) who 'may be able to help with investigation'. That would at least put the person's image in the public's awareness while not not (prematurely or falsely) outing them as a suspect. I HOPE they have someone and are waiting for the last piece or two to arrest and it is balanced properly with giving the public enough info to be safe.

One thing I find extremely strange IMO is that they had the park 100% open bright and early the next day. My mom and I went and walked and it was like nothing happened besides the Vigil flowers etc. Either they didn't canvas the entire park and look through EVERYTHING.... or they've had a suspect from day 1 and just haven't released the info because they don't want to spook the person or they don't have enough evidence for an arrest warrant, but are working on it. Might be why they haven't said much to the public yet. Hopefully the next press conference about the case is that an arrest has been made. Fingers crossed!!

Last edited:
I asked an officer, familiar with the case, if I should be worried about going to Piedmont park and his response was, “no, you’ll be fine”. I just don’t get the impression that they feel like there is a maniac on the loose looking for random people to attack in Atlanta.

One thing I noticed when the original 6 witnesses did not come forward right away, LE released more photos, but only of the jogger. Why not release more photos of the other 5 people...do they not have any other photos or did these others come forward, too? If they did come forward, why wasn't the public made aware as was the case w/the jogger.
I also wonder if the killer took anything, such as Katie's keys, phone or id/wallet.

This morning I listened to the Katie Janness segment of the Murder Squad podcast that covered her case with Paul Holes. The episode was about a bunch of unsolved crimes, so hers only took up about 10 minutes, but it is discussed first if you want to listen. A few things they discussed:

They spoke with one of Katie's friends who said she was a "murderino" and loved MFM and also loved music and she and this friend would go to concerts together. They just went to one a few days before her murder. Katie also loved sharks. She had one shark tattoo and was talking about getting another. When asked about Bowie, the friend said he was young and very hyperactive, would jump all over you if you came over and wanted to play. She said she never walked with him but didn't think he'd be aggressive to someone out of nowhere but would likely protect Katie if need be.

On the podcast, they made it sound like only one of the potential witnesses on camera came forward (jogging man) and Katie's friend is pleading with people to post the photos on their social media to get the word out to get this people to come forward. Paul posited that the "marking" left on Katie (he mentioned there was rumor it was a slur but said he was not going to get into rumors) and the killing of the dog makes it seem like someone who fantasized about doing something like this. He thinks they should be looking into any people in the general area who have been caught or accused of killing animals before as they may have started doing that first.

Here's the website if anyone wants to listen for themselves: Home - The Murder Squad

This morning I listened to the Katie Janness segment of the Murder Squad podcast that covered her case with Paul Holes. The episode was about a bunch of unsolved crimes, so hers only took up about 10 minutes, but it is discussed first if you want to listen. A few things they discussed:

They spoke with one of Katie's friends who said she was a "murderino" and loved MFM and also loved music and she and this friend would go to concerts together. They just went to one a few days before her murder. Katie also loved sharks. She had one shark tattoo and was talking about getting another. When asked about Bowie, the friend said he was young and very hyperactive, would jump all over you if you came over and wanted to play. She said she never walked with him but didn't think he'd be aggressive to someone out of nowhere but would likely protect Katie if need be.

On the podcast, they made it sound like only one of the potential witnesses on camera came forward (jogging man) and Katie's friend is pleading with people to post the photos on their social media to get the word out to get this people to come forward. Paul posited that the "marking" left on Katie (he mentioned there was rumor it was a slur but said he was not going to get into rumors) and the killing of the dog makes it seem like someone who fantasized about doing something like this. He thinks they should be looking into any people in the general area who have been caught or accused of killing animals before as they may have started doing that first.

Here's the website if anyone wants to listen for themselves: Home - The Murder Squad
Thank you Mtnhiker.
This reminds me that several years ago I saved a website that let you search for Animal abuse cases in your area. I will try to find it and post the link. I don’t feel strong enough to look at it right now although I’m very curious. The site is down and says they don’t know when it will be back up. It was pet-abuse.com. There may be other sites like it out there though.

Last edited:
Thank you Mtnhiker.
This reminds me that several years ago I saved a website that let you search for Animal abuse cases in your area. I will try to find it and post the link. I don’t feel strong enough to look at it right now although I’m very curious. The site is down and says they don’t know when it will be back up. It was pet-abuse.com. There may be other sites like it out there though.
Bet these folks are taking care of that big time! rbbm. imo. speculation.
Atlanta stabbing deaths of woman, her dog remains unsolved
''On Thursday, an official with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) spoke about a $10,000 reward that a donor to the group contributed, to match a previous $10,000 reward from city police.

“Our first thoughts, just like everyone else, were how awful, how heartbreaking and what can we do to help?” Kristin Rickman, emergency response division manager with PETA, told FOX 5 of Atlanta. “We’re really hopeful that doubling the reward will help get a break in this case. $20,000 is quite a bit of money and a lot of folks are hurting right now and could really use that financial assistance.”

One thing I find extremely strange IMO is that they had the park 100% open bright and early the next day. My mom and I went and walked and it was like nothing happened besides the Vigil flowers etc. Either they didn't canvas the entire park and look through EVERYTHING.... or they've had a suspect from day 1 and just haven't released the info because they don't want to spook the person or they don't have enough evidence for an arrest warrant, but are working on it. Might be why they haven't said much to the public yet. Hopefully the next press conference about the case is that an arrest has been made. Fingers crossed!!
Totally agree. A CBS 46 reporter was outside the CA GATE way before daylight covering the story the morning of 7/28 while investigators were still there and he reported that folks were in the park exercising even at that time. Very strange. I wonder how much understaffing at APD factors into it (my understanding is they are down by 200 officers which is a critical shortage IMO).

Last edited:
Could be nothing but I'm wondering if Katie was being followed after leaving Henry's. I say this because she crossed to the other side of 10th Street at some point in the very short distance between Henry's and the Rainbow crosswalk. Walking across the street is common if you think someone is following you. Why did she cross the street in that short a distance.

If they were leaving Henry's on the north side to walk directly toward the Charles Allen gate, there was no need for them to cross 10th at any time.

I thought possibly they crossed 10th to swing by Katie's workplace at Campagnola's which is 980 Piedmont, but the restaurant closes at 10:00 pm on weekdays.

I can lose my bearings walking around Google Streetview, so apologies if my north/south get mixed up, but you'll get the idea (opposite sides of the street).

Henry's is on the north side of 10th, as is Caribou Coffee, as is Charles Allen gate, but we see them at the crosswalk crossing from the south side of 10th back onto the north side of 10th toward Caribou Coffee.

Why Katie with a dog when it would be simpler to attack a woman alone without a dog? If you want to steal a pitbull, the goal is to steal, not to kill it. If the dog attacks, you either defend yourself or run, not kill it and disfigure the owner in some horrific fashion. If your goal was to attack a woman, why choose a woman with a reasonably large dog known for it's potential fighting prowess?

I'm considering either a perp with no filters (as in bat doo crazy), or upping your game (from whatever it was before) or possible Omerta style gang initiation.

Forgive me if this has all been discussed before. We don't always get to read all the posts with all the detail.

And sorry, it's late and I may be rambling.

Could be nothing but I'm wondering if Katie was being followed after leaving Henry's. I say this because she crossed to the other side of 10th Street at some point in the very short distance between Henry's and the Rainbow crosswalk. Walking across the street is common if you think someone is following you. Why did she cross the street in that short a distance.

If they were leaving Henry's on the north side to walk directly toward the Charles Allen gate, there was no need for them to cross 10th at any time.

I thought possibly they crossed 10th to swing by Katie's workplace at Campagnola's which is 980 Piedmont, but the restaurant closes at 10:00 pm on weekdays.

I can lose my bearings walking around Google Streetview, so apologies if my north/south get mixed up, but you'll get the idea (opposite sides of the street).

Henry's is on the north side of 10th, as is Caribou Coffee, as is Charles Allen gate, but we see them at the crosswalk crossing from the south side of 10th back onto the north side of 10th toward Caribou Coffee.

Why Katie with a dog when it would be simpler to attack a woman alone without a dog? If you want to steal a pitbull, the goal is to steal, not to kill it. If the dog attacks, you either defend yourself or run, not kill it and disfigure the owner in some horrific fashion. If your goal was to attack a woman, why choose a woman with a reasonably large dog known for it's potential fighting prowess?

I'm considering either a perp with no filters (as in bat doo crazy), or upping your game (from whatever it was before) or possible Omerta style gang initiation.

Forgive me if this has all been discussed before. We don't always get to read all the posts with all the detail.

I feel like everything you are saying makes sense. This has got to be one of the most inexplicable unusual cases I have ever heard of.

Re: Katie’s walk. If she were followed, surely there would be camera footage. Maybe there is. I think the lack of “PR” (and there is a lack) coming from the APD is a result of the amount of crime they’re dealing with coupled with understaffing and is not a result of a lack of evidence. The puzzle pieces we are missing could probably be filled simply with the release of more footage/photos of the path Katie and Bowie took as well as a clear timeline of when Emma’s texts/calls initially went unanswered. And with all due respect to GeorgiaPeach I would not go into Piedmont Park until this person is in LE custody, even if they may have a suspect they’re surveilling, it seems like completely unnecessary risk taking. I was really hoping there would be a speedy arrest here.

Re: Katie’s walk. If she were followed, surely there would be camera footage. Maybe there is. I think the lack of “PR” (and there is a lack) coming from the APD is a result of the amount of crime they’re dealing with coupled with understaffing and is not a result of a lack of evidence. The puzzle pieces we are missing could probably be filled simply with the release of more footage/photos of the path Katie and Bowie took as well as a clear timeline of when Emma’s texts/calls initially went unanswered. And with all due respect to GeorgiaPeach I would not go into Piedmont Park until this person is in LE custody, even if they may have a suspect they’re surveilling, it seems like completely unnecessary risk taking. I was really hoping there would be a speedy arrest here.

I agree. Many years ago, my car was stolen in the City of Atlanta. I located it, was told by nearby residents they knew the kids who stole it and called the police. Nevertheless, the APD told me no officer could come out to file a report for another 48 hours. If it took the APD two days to respond to a car theft when circumstances were ideal, I imagine a highly prioritized murder investigation may still take longer than usual due to a triple whammy of a pandemic, serious labor shortages and increased crime.

I’m also cynical about city leaders trying to manage the optics of crimes so people aren’t panicked and business goes elsewhere— in this case, Atlanta’s $16 billion-dollar hospitality revenue. Citizens should take responsibility for their own safety and not rely on third parties for input.

Last edited:

Driving down 10th St often during the day, I can see several reasons Katie would have crossed 10th at Juniper. There is a large pay to park lot behind Henry's & I see quite a few people there just hanging around or sleeping on the ground near the street plus you have to cross a small st that comes from the lot, then there's a fire station, a fence w/blue tarps (construction) & a botox place that looks like it might be pretty dark at night. On the other side of 10th there is a nice residential complex w/security gates & street lamps, then a business, the driveway to rear parking for Campagnola, the mexican restaurant & another restaurant. That side looks like there's more light & fewer places for people to loiter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member