GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
... I’m picturing the neck injury happening at the beginning, I think. Maybe it happened really fast, like jump out of a tree and slash fast.

Yes, I think it must have been very sharp. I kind of think that anyway, bc this all happened fast and... even with a sharp knife, the amount of injury I think is likely would take some time. I think he had tools for the job and practice as well, on animals at the very least, not sure of course but that’s where my mind is

With the thought of neck injury happening at beginning and happening quick, that would be why nobody heard screams - is that your thought?

For context:

historically, this area of the park is known for being a gay male hook up spot. It’s infamous for this all over the city.

the area has changed. It’s definitely a core piece of lgbtq Atlanta. And you will still find way more men in Piedmont park than women at night. But it’s so much more than a seedy hook up spot now, and I agree with you to a large extent. This is a beloved part of the city and you could find women there...

but it’s still a little weird, the same way if you go to a gay bar, you will meet straight people but- not nearly as many as lgbtq people.

It has seemed to me, that the Pandemic has escalated crime. Especially violent crimes. Some are barely even reported, and gone.

I hope that the police are able to find the perpetrator of this crime. I am assuming that the perpetrator was a male, due to the sheer physical strength it would take to kill a pit bull and a woman, with a knife.

From what I have read about other crimes where the perpetrator used a knife, especially in a frenzied attack, there are often cuts on the perpetrators hands. Maybe the police can get some DNA evidence from this.

Which isn't useful, unless the DNA is already available in a database for a match.

Possible LE may be wanting the witnesses to come forward to discuss what they saw with them, but also maybe to “see” them, since LE already knows these witnesses can anonymously call in anything they saw to the tip lines without having to “come forward”?

I understand from the locals here that this park is known for men looking for men at night, but at least three of the possible witnesses from the camera footage, iirc, are women. I guess in my mind this killer really could have been looking for either.

@Yemelyan, do you know how frequently a violent crime can switch from one motive (robbery, rage, etc) to a sexual motive during the attack itself?

I think this is a very complex question. It relies in one way on those criminals who have been caught telling the truth about why they committed their crimes. I'm not sure of any statistics on it off-hand.

I do think that some criminals disguise sexual motives behind other criminal activities (such as burglars/hot prowlers who "progress" to rape - likely they already fantasized about doing that even during the burglary-only crimes).

And of course, everyone is aware that when men express generalized rage they sometimes use sexual means against women to express that.

So I guess my opinion would be that it's not so much that the motive changes mid-crime to a sexual one but that sexual fantasies are already entwined with some of these other crimes like robbery or expressions of hate.

I did a quick search on dog bite injuries and resulting bacterial infections this morning.

To summarize, dog bites may be puncture wounds (most common) but more severe injuries consist of lacerations or combination of puncture wounds and lacerations. Dog saliva contains multiple bacterial organisms which may lead to infection. The majority of infections from dog bites are polymicrobial (several different bacterial organisms causing the infection). Dog bite wound infections may consist of: non-purulent wounds, purulent wounds without abscess formation, abscesses, lymphangitis or cellulitis (see definitions below). Superficial, minor puncture wounds can often be effectively treated at home with over the counter topical antibiotics. Deeper, more severe wound infections require treatment with prescription antibiotics. Without treatment, severe infections can lead to overwhelming infection and death.

Definitions:
Purulent: presence of pus
Non-purulent: without pus
Abscess: enclosed collection of pus that requires incision and drainage for treatment
Lymphangitis: infection of the surrounding lymphatic vessels (channels); a complication of some bacterial infections.
Cellulitis—a common and potentially dangerous bacterial skin infection. With cellulitis, bacteria enter the surrounding skin and may spread rapidly; affected skin appears swollen and red and may be hot and tender to touch. Without antibiotic treatment, cellulitis can be life threatening.

If LE could find a person who has been recently treated for severe dog bites, bingo…could lead to perp’s identification. Regarding patient privacy and confidentiality… exceptions to the patient privacy act (HIPAA) include judicial and administrative proceedings, law enforcement. Meaning, medical professionals could report and discuss a patient’s injuries such as this with LE without it being a HIPAA violation.

Bottom line: Today is 11 days out from this horrific murder. If perp suffered from multiple deep dog bite wounds, which is very likely, infection would have already set in and antibiotic treatment would have been required by now. Perp could have sought treatment in a doctors office, minor emergency clinic or ER….not necessarily in the Atlanta area. I don’t know what kind of inside network LE or FBI has with medical facilities (do any of you know?) but I’m hoping that some sort of all points bulletin of has been issued to be on the look out for someone with severe dog bite injuries seeking medical treatment.

IMO, LE should publicize through the media to get the word out in the medical community BEYOND the Atlanta area. Seems like this could be an effective way to find this savage beast.

Last edited:
I think this is a very complex question. It relies in one way on those criminals who have been caught telling the truth about why they committed their crimes. I'm not sure of any statistics on it off-hand.

I do think that some criminals disguise sexual motives behind other criminal activities (such as burglars/hot prowlers who "progress" to rape - likely they already fantasized about doing that even during the burglary-only crimes).

And of course, everyone is aware that when men express generalized rage they sometimes use sexual means against women to express that.

So I guess my opinion would be that it's not so much that the motive changes mid-crime to a sexual one but that sexual fantasies are already entwined with some of these other crimes like robbery or expressions of hate.
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

“Atlanta police confirmed that a jogger seen in new photos released Friday and believed to be a potential witness to the stabbing death of a woman and her dog in Piedmont Park has come forward.”

“Three more photos were released Friday of a jogger that may have been a witness. Homicide detectives say they have been speaking with him and that he is cooperative.”

Potential Piedmont Park stabbing witness comes forward, is cooperating, police say

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and also that’s maybe when the dog attacked, and why didn’t get away while he was fighting with Bowie.

Awful to think about.

For timeline, I noticed on the APD website that the timeline they’re looking at - or asking for the public to begin reviewing home security footage at - starts at 10:30pm. That is earlier than what I’ve seen discussed on other posts and more hours of potential footage for LE to need to go through. Wonder if we will have more witness pictures soon?

News List | Atlanta Police Department

Spent days reading this whole thread. I don't know why I'm so drawin to this case other then I use to live in Atlanta years ago and have been to that park so many time. Even after dark a few times.
Anyways, a few random thoughts. If this person happens to be some raging homicidal maniac could he have possibly picked a victim who had a dog to send a message that you ain't even safe with your dog? Especially a pit? I think sometimes it's easy to get a false security when you have a dog. I use to have a great Dane and would go walking at night. Most people were scared of him and his size. But when I really think about it a knife could easily kill any dog.
Also was that jogger who ran into the park and back out the one who came forward?

Spent days reading this whole thread. I don't know why I'm so drawin to this case other then I use to live in Atlanta years ago and have been to that park so many time. Even after dark a few times.
Anyways, a few random thoughts. If this person happens to be some raging homicidal maniac could he have possibly picked a victim who had a dog to send a message that you ain't even safe with your dog? Especially a pit? I think sometimes it's easy to get a false security when you have a dog. I use to have a great Dane and would go walking at night. Most people were scared of him and his size. But when I really think about it a knife could easily kill any dog.
Also was that jogger who ran into the park and back out the one who came forward?
There seems to be some confusion (from everything I've read and heard) as to whether or not there are two joggers or one.

Even though MSM hasn't revealed all of the details of the case, it is my opinion that there are components of the murder that just do not fit the "normal" murders that take place in Atlanta or anywhere else for that matter.

LE has already confirmed your suspicions…stating that this is a unique murder to the Atlanta area. Also I saw LE- I believe it was the ATL police chief but not 100% sure- say in a news report that specific details regarding the condition in which Katie’s body was found will not be revealed because there are things that only the murderer would know.

Last edited:
RE: @Atlmom dog bites, interesting information. I can easily see someone who didn't want to go in for treatment, just pouring alcohol on the wounds immediately. But, as you stated, some of the wounds may be further infected and require antibiotics for treatment.

Most people have access to a plethora of antibiotics in their bathroom, older, that they never threw away, or I can see this person raiding the medicine cabinets from friends or family, stealth.

Maybe going in for treatment, if they have insurance, and providing a glib comment about encountering a dog while out running or something. I don't see that a provider would routinely report this, especially if this is an established pt

RE: @Atlmom dog bites, interesting information. I can easily see someone who didn't want to go in for treatment, just pouring alcohol on the wounds immediately. But, as you stated, some of the wounds may be further infected and require antibiotics for treatment.

Most people have access to a plethora of antibiotics in their bathroom, older, that they never threw away, or I can see this person raiding the medicine cabinets from friends or family, stealth.

Maybe going in for treatment, if they have insurance, and providing a glib comment about encountering a dog while out running or something. I don't see that a provider would routinely report this, especially if this is an established pt

This is why LE needs to make an appeal specific to this.

[snipped] If it was someone she knew, he would want to murder her with nobody around and with as much privacy as possible, he would've planned it out. To me, it seems like the killer wanted to establish power over her. He killed her up close, he stabbed her. The choice of weapon tells us a lot about it too.
Was she disfigured and then stabbed or the other way around?

Maybe, but doing it in the public park effectively opens the pool of potential suspects to be basically infinite, which makes the case so much harder to solve. The killer might have been banking on that.

Could the perpetrator have been a woman? Especially one who was an acquaintance? Who the victim would have let her get close enough for a chat, with dog close. And the perpetrator would have quickly eliminated the dog, while pretending to pet him, then killed Katherine?

Hopefully, LEO has enough DNA from the perpetrator to know this information. Which could be a larger issue if the perpetrator is transgender, biologically "male", but identifies as "female".

Last edited:
Google street view of the park entrance. The first one is right at the gate, the second is from Charles Allen intersection. I'm just shocked at how close to an open and visible thoroughfare this was, despite the late-night hours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210808-123125_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-123125_Chrome.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20210808-123058_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210808-123058_Chrome.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Even though MSM hasn't revealed all of the details of the case, it is my opinion that there are components of the murder that just do not fit the "normal" murders that take place in Atlanta or anywhere else for that matter.
The police chief and other officials have specifically stated that (and as a reason for calling in the FBI).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee