GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
28/7/21-29/7/21 All times EST
~11:30: Emma (working) states she saw Katie at Henry's per interview on WSB.
Note: she did not say when Katie left Henry's, only that she saw her then.
11:54-11:55 Two females and 1 male who appear to be together exiting Charles Allen entrance and crossing 1oth St. video/photos (Media reports this as a group of women but I think all 3 persons 2 females 1 male are together)
12:07/12:09 Times given by media per APD that for photo of Katie and Bowie at rainbow sidewalk @ 10th and Piedmont
12:25 'Cane' person at 12th and Piedmont gate video/photos
12:43 'Hoodie' person at 12th and Piedmont gate video/photos
12:46:12-12:46:54 'Jogger' who appears to enter and exit Charles Allen gate per video/photo.
Note: It is believed this is same person spotted on Beltline cams, and has cooperated with police.
~12:30 Emma leaves house and looks for Katie
~1:10 Police are called to the scene

Last edited:
Katherine is the victim in this case. I am just looking at the issues from DNA collection. DNA can't be changed. That means if the perpetrator's DNA is "male", if any of the perpetrator's DNA is recovered, that LEO may be looking at males for the perpetrator, which may be problematic if the perpetrator is transgender, and identifying as "female".

Clarity. If my post was offensive. Sorry. It was meant as theory into the crime, and issues with finding the perpetrator.
It wasn’t offensive to me, because the killer could come from any group. I just know it would add pain to the community around Piedmont park.

I also read what you were saying as more general theory of a person who might have motivation to do something like this. It instantly made me think of a murderer in a famous book/movie. So I misunderstood what you were saying about dna. Thanks for clarifying.

RE: @Atlmom dog bites, interesting information. I can easily see someone who didn't want to go in for treatment, just pouring alcohol on the wounds immediately. But, as you stated, some of the wounds may be further infected and require antibiotics for treatment.

Most people have access to a plethora of antibiotics in their bathroom, older, that they never threw away, or I can see this person raiding the medicine cabinets from friends or family, stealth.

Maybe going in for treatment, if they have insurance, and providing a glib comment about encountering a dog while out running or something. I don't see that a provider would routinely report this, especially if this is an established pt

“I don't see that a provider would routinely report this, especially if this is an established pt”.

I agree with what you’re saying. I wasn’t meaning to imply that every provider should routinely report every dog bite they treat. Sorry if you got that impression. What I meant was, providers should have a high index of suspicion. If a person was recently treated for dog bites and the explanation of what happened to cause the injuries seemed sketchy or if the injuries seemed far worse than would be expected for the explanation given or if the patients demeanor seemed off, etc. then, IMO, those are the type cases that warrant discussion with LE. I would hope that if a provider perceived a “red flag” and had a gut feeling that something just seemed off….whether it was a new patient or an established patient….they would report it to authorities. But, then again, I’m sure there are providers who would turn their cheek the other way just to avoid a sticky situation or simply to not get involved. Who knows?

The police chief and other officials have specifically stated that (and as a reason for calling in the FBI).

I know for a few days I was wondering which unit of the FBi was called in (hate crimes, criminal profilers, etc.) and I believe I did see somewhere that it was the criminal profile unit. I wish I could remember where!

28/7/21-29/7/21 All times EST
~11:30: Emma (working) states she saw Katie at Henry's per interview on WSB.
Note: she did not say when Katie left Henry's, only that she saw her then.

I know somebody in another group questioned what time Henry's closes. According to their website and their FB pages, they close at 10:00 p.m. during the week. So why was Katie still there at 11:30 and still not off work? Would it be normal for end-of-shift duties/cleanup to take 2 hours?

~12:30 Emma leaves house and looks for Katie
~1:10 Police are called to the scene

Again, an early article said that Emma was expecting Katie and Bowie to come and meet her at Henry's so they could all walk home together. So did she go home? Ugh, there are so many cookie-cutter articles to wade through.

I know somebody in another group questioned what time Henry's closes. According to their website and their FB pages, they close at 10:00 p.m. during the week. So why was Katie still there at 11:30 and still not off work? Would it be normal for end-of-shift duties/cleanup to take 2 hours?

Worked in restaurants and bars a long time. It’s definitely possible especially for the bartenders to be there two hours after close. But I do think the timing is weird all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
This photo appears to be north of the restroom looking south toward the entrance on 10th and Charles Allen. It does not correlate with the gf's description of where they were found, because she said the dog was about 50 feet inside the gate, which should have been between the gate and the restroom. Then KJ's body was around 100 feet farther to the right. Hmmm. If we are sure about the flower placement being the body site, does that mean there gf's distance estimations were incorrect? Or were these flowers just randomly placed?

I haven’t been to the park in awhile but can tell that this pic is taken from inside the park looking toward 10th & Charles Allen. How far away is the restroom mentioned in relation to those trash cans seen in the pic? Is the restroom the same as the robot potty that was mentioned on another thread?
I admit to not being the best at estimating distance. I like to think in terms of yards rather than feet… so according to Emma, Bowie was found about 17 yards inside the gate and Katie was about 33 yards to the right of Bowie. Neither of those distances seems REALLY close to the entrance to me, but JMO. I can see where people walking by could see Bowie on the main pathway but probably not Katie unless specifically looking for her. I was surprised to see how well lit the 10th street entrance is with street lamps just inside the entrance, which makes this perp all the more brazen.

Last edited:
Could one wear a headlamp to obscure their face from cameras? I know there are completely innocent reasons to wear a lamp and many runners do.
It occurred to me that if the killer had a bright light and someone came up he was at the crime scene he could shine it on them and say get away police or something like that.

See that's what I'm saying. Of course it's totally innocent, okay, and understandable why a runner would wear a head light. But it would also be a great way for someone who needed to see what they were doing in a dark park and make it harder for a camera to see them. It would also make it harder for a victim to fight back with a bright light shining in their face. That's why I'm so interested if that jogger was the one who came forward or not. Because I can't help but to think what if he was simply running back into the park to take one last look at what he had done if say he had exited a different way. What a great way to seem completely innocent acting as a jogger if you planned on killing someone late at night. Idk I hope he was the one and did come forward. I know he isn't a suspect but I just can't help but to have a side eye on him. Just seems he got to close to the victim and is in to close of a time range for comfort.

I know for a few days I was wondering which unit of the FBi was called in (hate crimes, criminal profilers, etc.) and I believe I did see somewhere that it was the criminal profile unit. I wish I could remember where!

I believe I saw “criminal profilers” also. But I’d never be able to tell you where I read that… there’s so much media coverage out there to sort through.

In an earlier AJC article: "Late Tuesday, Janness had stopped by Henry’s Midtown Tavern, where Clark was working. After Janness and Bowie walked, they planned to return to meet Clark and walk home together. But when Clark was ready to head home, Janness didn’t answer her phone. And she wasn’t at home.” IIRC, originally it was said that they stopped by Henry's about 11:30, and I believe I read somewhere that Emma was due to work until midnight. So would it make sense for Katie & Bowie to be heading into the park at 12:09? I'll have to see if I can find the comment about what time Emma was working until.
Plus, as CLWP8 pointed out in the first thread, Katie was crossing 10th St. (at the rainbow crossing intersection) from south to north (from the Zocalo side of the street to the Caribou Coffee side of the street).

So if the rainbow crossing clock was correct (and there’s no reason to think it wasn’t), and if Emma’s estimate of the last time she saw Katie was correct, it means that at least for some period of time in between (roughly) 11:30 and 12:09 Katie waited at, or went to, some location on the opposite side of the street from Henry’s.

There certainly could be many reasons why Katie was (at least for some period of time), on the south side of 10th St. - and what she did between roughly 11:30 and 12:09 probably had nothing to do with what happened later in the park (jmo) - it’s just a missing piece of the timeline while Emma was likely still at work.

Even though this seems far fetched, even to me, I just cannot help but think of the Little Rock Arkansas serial killer and this one being connected. Most likely it is not connected. I hope there is a break in this case soon. This case has me very disturbed for some reason. I don't live too far from Atlanta and my anxiety is sky high!

I thought it was far-fetched to consider the LR killer to be connected to this case, but when you look at the easy route to Atlanta on a map, it's really not. It's almost a direct drive east.

The photo of the man with the cane leaving Piedmont Park looks at least vaguely like the picture of the suspect on this website about the LR killer . But given the time he's leaving the park, and lack of obvious dog bites, (but possibly a ripped shirt) he is probably not the killer. I hope he comes forward to cooperate with LE.

I wish LE would give us some info on this case. The silence is nerve-wracking. But we have to understand, there are nearly daily shootings in Atlanta lately, and other crazy crimes, and there is an awful lot for them to be investigating right now.

I haven’t been to the park in awhile but can tell that this pic is taken from inside the park looking toward 10th & Charles Allen. How far away is the restroom mentioned in relation to those trash cans seen in the pic? Is the restroom the same as the robot potty that was mentioned on another thread?
I admit to not being the best at estimating distance. I like to think in terms of yards rather than feet… so according to Emma, Bowie was found about 17 yards inside the gate and Katie was about 33 yards to the right of Bowie. Neither of those distances seems REALLY close to the entrance to me, but JMO. I can see where people walking by could see Bowie on the main pathway but probably not Katie unless specifically looking for her. I was surprised to see how well lit the 10th street entrance is with street lamps just inside the entrance, which makes this perp all the more brazen.
Just using Google maps to measure distance, if Emma is talking about the actually metal gate, the restroom is right about 50 ft. If she's talking the stone entrance, then 50 ft. would be about halfway between there and the bathroom. I agree, not seeing Katie in the woods 100 ft. from Bowie is understandable, although then she'd be a lot closer to the Meadow trail.

Last edited:
Just using Google maps to measure distance, if Emma is talking about the actually metal gate, the restroom is right about 50 ft. If she's talking the stone entrance, then 50 ft. would be about halfway between there and the bathroom. I agree, not seeing Katie in the woods 100 ft. from Bowie is understandable, although then she'd be a lot closer to the Meadow trail.
I was at the park about an hour ago and stood there to compare the pic of the flowers to what was in front of me. The flowers were put here: https://goo.gl/maps/xxRwVVc4UYdUcDm88
That’s about 300 ft from the gate. I tend to think that her GF’s estimate was probably off (I’m terrible at estimating distance myself, so I get it). If the actual distance was double, I wonder if Bowie was more like 100 ft inside. It would make much more sense for why the runner didn’t notice anything.

I was at the park about an hour ago and stood there to compare the pic of the flowers to what was in front of me. The flowers were put here: https://goo.gl/maps/xxRwVVc4UYdUcDm88
That’s about 300 ft from the gate. I tend to think that her GF’s estimate was probably off (I’m terrible at estimating distance myself, so I get it). If the actual distance was double, I wonder if Bowie was more like 100 ft inside. It would make much more sense for why the runner didn’t notice anything.
I'm hoping this works. Here is a picture of inside the gate on Charles Landing and where the bathroom is in relation to the gate:

Google Earth

What is the general feel of the park? Does is feel different?

Even though this seems far fetched, even to me, I just cannot help but think of the Little Rock Arkansas serial killer and this one being connected. Most likely it is not connected. I hope there is a break in this case soon. This case has me very disturbed for some reason. I don't live too far from Atlanta and my anxiety is sky high!

What is the LR suspect leaning on in that first picture? A cane? This is a very interesting observation, even if it's not the same person. Maybe the motives are similar. The M.O. seems to be. I think we are far from ruling out a serial killer.

I wrote in the last thread that I thought perhaps Katie rebuffed someone's advances or comment and then they flew into a rage and attacked, and I know some folks think that isn't likely but I am still holding onto that as a possibility. Someone had mentioned it was unlikely due to this being a well-known men-looking-for-men hookup place, but that doesn't mean that is ALL that happens here or that it isn't possible a man wouldn't hit on a woman walking through at night.

I also absolutely think it's possible for a man to get this enraged if being rejected by a woman. Is that normal? No, but does it happen sometimes? Yes. I could even see a guy trying to hit on Katie, and maybe she says, "Actually I have a girlfriend," or "Actually I'm not even interested in men," and that makes him even MORE angry.

This of course is just speculation and supposition. But IMO, some sort of interaction took place before the attack or right as it started. I think that is more likely than someone jumping out of the bushes and without saying a word, just starting to stab Katie and/or her dog. Not impossible, of course, but IMO more likely something was said between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes