GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it's good that they kept Bowie. That tells me he did provide evidence. Unfortunately, as much as we love our fur friends, he will probably be preserved as evidence until there is nothing or no one left to refute the findings he supplied.
I get that. Bowie's body still helping.
Bowie's spirit is in a better place with Katie.
Bowie was such a good-good boy. Loyal to the very end. I'm sure that gives her family comfort.
imo
Bowie =Hero
Agreed!
Bowie=Total Hero
(The very best boy)

Thx for posting. I can't quite make it out. Glad there's a new light there (and hopefully more throughout the park). I want to spend some time there just to understand the terrain a little more but it's still kinda eerie to me. What I noticed on drive by going toward Monroe on 10th is the space behind the gate where the trees are. I'm assuming that's the actual scene of the crime. Not sure
I believe it's 50-150 ft on the driveway, not a walking path, from the gate then 10-75ft to the right. Bowie was found 1st & I believe very close to the driveway approximately 50 ft from the gate. Katie was a little further at a diagonal to the right from the driveway, to Bowie, to her. She was under a tree with a large rooty trunk. See if you can locate where LE removed the limb. Please take at least 2 people w/you & leave b4 dark! Sorry to be a 'motherhen'.

IMO it's good that they kept Bowie. That tells me he did provide evidence. Unfortunately, as much as we love our fur friends, he will probably be preserved as evidence until there is nothing or no one left to refute the findings he supplied.
I get that. Bowie's body still helping.
Bowie's spirit isin a better place with Katie. Bowie was such a good-good boy. Loyal to the very end. I'm sure that gives her family comfort.
imo
Bowie =Hero
Agreed!
Bowie=Total Hero
(The very best boy)
I also have questions about this. I listened to the gf's 911 call. As she is in the park and on the phone with 911 you can hear the awful reaction of a male park go'er as he came across the body or the dog. But before that..............NOBODY saw anything or reported anything? Until AFTER the gf arrived?

Very strange indeed.
However, lots of homeless folx sleep in various places in the park so possibly Katie could have been mistaken for a hp.
Also, it's possible that some ppl walking in the park/ cutting thru the park on foot on the way home from a bar that late were/are altered by drugs and/or alcohol; Even if a drink or two can alter perception and narrow focus.

I believe it's 50-150 ft on the driveway, not a walking path, from the gate then 10-75ft to the right. Bowie was found 1st & I believe very close to the driveway approximately 50 ft from the gate. Katie was a little further at a diagonal to the right from the driveway, to Bowie, to her. She was under a tree with a large rooty trunk. See if you can locate where LE removed the limb. Please take at least 2 people w/you & leave b4 dark! Sorry to be a 'motherhen'.
No apology needed! I can't bring myself to go there even in the daytime. So Spooked.

No apology needed! I can't bring myself to go there even in the daytime. So Spooked.

Wow! This is so scary that the person who did this heinous crime is still wandering around free. I would be completely creeped out.

Sadly, I don't go running in the early morning or when it is dark any longer. And, unfortunately, as we learned from the "Mollie Tibbets" case, women are not even safe during the day.

I'm not sure anyone has been able yet to fully parse out those deets. As far as I can tell none of it really makes sense. I'm sure there's footage and times stamping being withheld/obfuscated. It's such a crazy brazen place to commit such a hideous crime in such a tight time frame.

The first 911 call was actually another person walking through the park, her partner was the second call shortly after. The first call is not public yet for some reason.

How can that be? A first caller? Before Emma? Wouldn't the dispatcher tell Emma a call was received prior and help was on the way? I listened to Emma's 911 call. It appeared to me that help wasn't summoned until Emma's call. Do you have a link for this first call?

Thx for posting. I can't quite make it out. Glad there's a new light there (and hopefully more throughout the park). I want to spend some time there just to understand the terrain a little more but it's still kinda eerie to me. What I noticed on drive by going toward Monroe on 10th is the space behind the gate where the trees are. I'm assuming that's the actual scene of the crime. Not sure
I also have questions about this. I listened to the gf's 911 call. As she is in the park and on the phone with 911 you can hear the awful reaction of a male park go'er as he came across the body or the dog. But before that..............NOBODY saw anything or reported anything? Until AFTER the gf arrived?
I posted MOO timeline on Mon., Aug 9 at 12:49 am. I got the info from interviews w/Emma & Joe Clark(Emma's father) news reports from 11alive news, Fox5 news, APD press releases & Fulton County Police press releases. A few things in the timeline are incorrect, ie.: I stated that Katie's body was to the left of Bowie when in fact she was to the right. I also had the incorrect crosswalk that Katie & Bowie were pictured in. I thought they were travelling SW to NW when in fact it was SW to SE. I don't know how to repost my original that was a mile long. I guess you can scroll back to it.
Emma was not inside the park when she called 911. She had run out the entrance at 10th St & Charles Allen Dr. & spoke to a man who ran out of the park right after her. He is who you hear in the 911 call saying "What the ...."?! He stayed until police arrived.

Also, imo, it would be good to get a concealed weapons permit, handgun training and a handgun and also be with a group of several people.

How can that be? A first caller? Before Emma? Wouldn't the dispatcher tell Emma a call was received prior and help was on the way? I listened to Emma's 911 call. It appeared to me that help wasn't summoned until Emma's call. Do you have a link for this first call?
I really really hate saying this. Could the 1st 911 call be Katie?

citizen_sleuth 1) more likely to be convicted of a crime (and thus more likely to have their DNA/fingerprints on file)

Sorry I basically snipped your entire post but re: this specific point

I thought about this a couple of weeks ago, went to research, and got sidetracked so my question remains, and if anyone can weigh in - does Georgia collect DNA upon arrest or only upon conviction and is it only on felony charges or misdemeanors too?

From what I have found, I don't think GA collects DNA samples on arrest, certainly not on misdemeanors. Fingerprints, yes but DNA I don't think so.

This is from 2015

‘Reasonable under the 4th Amendment’

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in 2013 that Maryland’s DNA Collection Act did not violate the Fourth Amendment, which prohibits unlawful search and seizure. The act enables law enforcement to collect a DNA sample from people arrested for “serious” crimes.

The DNA collected from five rape victims in Augusta indicated that a single predator was at work.

But the predator himself, an exceptionally violent rapist who forced two of his victims into an Augusta cemetery before sexually assaulting them, remained unknown.

Authorities did finally collect the DNA of Michael Christian Clay as he entered state prison after a conviction unrelated to the rapes. (He had beaten his girlfriend and was driving her to the hospital when he ran over a teenager walking to catch his school bus.)

Once Clay’s DNA profile hit the database, the predator in Augusta was unmasked. He is now serving life in prison for multiple convictions on charges of rape, aggravated sodomy, kidnapping and false imprisonment.

What if Clay’s DNA profile had already been entered into law enforcement databases — not when he was sent to prison in 2009, but many years earlier?

Richmond County District Attorney Ashley Wright believes Clay would have been arrested before two of the rapes occurred. He would have been in prison instead of on the road, running down a teenager with his car. The final rape victim linked to him, who later died of injuries she suffered during the attack, might still be alive.

“We have an unsowed resource,” Wright said of DNA samples taken at arrest. “It’s a way to protect people in the future and to provide closure to people who have been affected. It’s a way to stop violent predators.”

Many Georgia prosecutors, like Wright, can point to examples of crimes that might not have happened if Georgia allowed the collection of DNA upon arrest. Thirty-one states, with Mississippi being the most recent, take genetic samples of people arrested for at least some crimes, and prosecutors in Georgia are pushing to do the same thing here for people arrested for violent crimes, drug offenses and burglary.

All of this of course assumes there is DNA in this case .. But the potential issue being, if this killer has been arrested in the past (in GA) for non-felonies (DUI, publix intoxication, shoplifting, loitering) then no positive ID can be made. DNA in this case would hit for other unsolved crimes. I am just thinking about the possibility that the killer has been arrested for lesser crimes in the past and may have graduated to this level of violence and have avoided their DNA being taken.

Prosecutors want to collect DNA at arrest, not after conviction

Eta - I am having trouble with quoting and other features on WS so excuse the sloppiness in the post

Last edited:
I’m getting a very strange feeling about about this…. Virtually no publicity (only 1 Facebook group about this with 70ish members and no activity) and life in Atlanta seems to be moving on as normal. Isn’t there a brutal murderer loose? This feels very odd.

I’m getting a very strange feeling about about this…. Virtually no publicity (only 1 Facebook group about this with 70ish members and no activity) and life in Atlanta seems to be moving on as normal. Isn’t there a brutal murderer loose? This feels very odd.
<bullseye> I feel exactly the same. It's very strange.

<bullseye> I feel exactly the same. It's very strange.
Granted, I’m a very amateur sleuth (in every sense) but I’ve followed a good bit of cases. Never, and I mean never, have I seen such little attention being paid and by LE own words it sounds like one of the more heinous acts I’ve followed. I can’t put my finger exactly on what, but something is bad off and it’s really eerie.

It seems very odd to me too. I think most people are busy leading their lives and have not paid close attention to this case. Most people did not watch the press conferences and those who maybe did not listen closely enough to understand that this was a very different kind of crime. Normally I would be one of those people, I don’t usually watch the news and never watch press conferences. I started paying attention closely because this is near where I live and…Bowie. Seeing the photos of Katie and Bowie together and knowing what they went through breaks my heart.
I asked some neighbors this weekend if they were following the case and they told me that they thought it was a random probably homeless person. I wish the authorities would come out and say things in a way that people would hear them. If there is a danger people need to be warned and not in a nuanced kind of way.
This is just my interpretation but I think when the mayor said walk in groups of three or more and don’t go to the park at night that was her saying there is a real danger, having one other person may not help you if you run into this killer at the wrong time.

Last edited:

I am pretty sure this was discussed earlier in the thread, as I know I asked about this (and others did too), a "first call" has not been reported and is unfounded speculation at best.

I really really hate saying this. Could the 1st 911 call be Katie?
That would be so heartbreaking. I kind of don’t think that is the case because she was probably gone 20 to 30 minutes before Emmas phone call. If she has in the first caller I think police would’ve been on the scene by the time Emma arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste