GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beat me to it :)
I have a lot of thoughts after looking at these pictures. First thing that stands out is that the camera on 10th street was in fact working and pointed directly at the entrance to the park. I doubt the killer would’ve used this entrance, but I was under the impression that those specific cameras were not working. Also on the pics from the Piedmont Ave entrance show a male who’s arms appear to be wet/sweaty and he appears to be exiting the park at 12:25AM which has to be within minutes of the killing. You can also zoom in on this individual in the other pictures and see what looks like a large red stain on the side of his shirt while he’s carrying a long object that looks like a walking stick. Lastly, I doubt any of these guys are suspects just looking at everything they gave us, but these pictures do make it clear there was a lot of foot activity around the time and place of the murder. Hopefully we get some answers soon.

First time poster who lives in the area. With the pictures being released, I find the man running very interesting. He is exiting the park entrance at 12:46:54 am where the victim and her dog were found (timestamped/addressed on the officially released pictures). This is within the window of time they believe the murder took place. The other photo of the same runner is at 12:46:13 am (41 seconds earlier) where he is running down 10th street. So he was running along the park on 10th Street in the bike lane and then he's running out of the park within 41 seconds, I'm curious if something made him turn around from entering the park.

The pictures of the two men (one with bike and one possibly with a cane) are from a different entrance to the park - 12th and Piedmont. This exit is quite a ways from where the victims body was found. The picture of the two women exiting the park is the same entrance as the crime. Their picture is time stamped at 11:54 which would be before the timestamp on the picture of Katie walking across the rainbow crosswalk at Piedmont and 10th.

First time poster who lives in the area. With the pictures being released, I find the man running very interesting. He is exiting the park entrance at 12:46:54 am where the victim and her dog were found (timestamped/addressed on the officially released pictures). This is within the window of time they believe the murder took place. The other photo of the same runner is at 12:46:13 am (41 seconds earlier) where he is running down 10th street. So he was running along the park on 10th Street in the bike lane and then he's running out of the park within 41 seconds, I'm curious if something made him turn around from entering the park.

The pictures of the two men (one with bike and one possibly with a cane) are from a different entrance to the park - 12th and Piedmont. This exit is quite a ways from where the victims body was found. The picture of the two women exiting the park is the same entrance as the crime. Their picture is time stamped at 11:54 which would be before the timestamp on the picture of Katie walking across the rainbow crosswalk at Piedmont and 10th.
There appears to be scooters on one side of the street, then a lone scooter on the other side. Is it different from the rental ones mentioned above?

Also on the pics from the Piedmont Ave entrance show a male who’s arms appear to be wet/sweaty and he appears to be exiting the park at 12:25AM which has to be within minutes of the killing. You can also zoom in on this individual in the other pictures and see what looks like a large red stain on the side of his shirt while he’s carrying a long object that looks like a walking stick.

The timing of 12:25am makes this seem highly unlikely to me. I can't find the timestamp from the picture of Katie walking across the rainbow crosswalk, but I believe it was between 12-12:15am. For the murders to happen near 10th street entrance and then leave from the 12th street entrance seems highly unlikely due to the distance. Only possibility is if the murders happened within seconds and he sprinted as fast as possible.

Katherine Janness: Police Share Photos of Possible Witnesses After Atlanta Woman & Dog Found Dead in Popular Park

"Officials didn’t say that anyone involved in these photos is a suspect in the case, but it’s possible they could have seen something that can assist with the investigation. Officials also said that although another murder took place near Stone Mountain hours after Janness’ murder, there is no indication that the two murders were carried out by the same person or that they’re related in any way."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.18.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.18.png
    891.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.24.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.24.png
    872.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.32.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.32.png
    942 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.42.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.42.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.49.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.49.png
    1 MB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.55.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 19.03.55.png
    1 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Zac Summers
@ZacOnTV

·
1h

APD Chief Bryant: It was my decision to call upon FBI in Piedmont Park (Katie Janness) murder. They are strong partners. This homicide was outside the norm we typically see. This was so unique I felt like we needed to collaborate with as many resources as possible.
@cbs46

*I know it's already been mentioned, but I can't get Delphi off my mind today, in regards to this case. How did this happen so quickly and so out in the open?!

What does the first man in pic have in his hand?
Katherine Janness: Police Share Photos of Possible Witnesses After Atlanta Woman & Dog Found Dead in Popular Park
Witness-1-.jpg

Possible witness/Atlanta PD
witness5.jpg

Zac Summers
@ZacOnTV

·
1h

APD Chief Bryant: It was my decision to call upon FBI in Piedmont Park (Katie Janness) murder. They are strong partners. This homicide was outside the norm we typically see. This was so unique I felt like we needed to collaborate with as many resources as possible.
@cbs46

*I know it's already been mentioned, but I can't get Delphi off my mind today, in regards to this case. How did this happen so quickly and so out in the open?!

My thought on this is....depending on how fast she was incapacitated anyone passing might have assumed they were seeing a different sort of encounter in the dark and may have even tried to avoid/look away. No one would have been expecting to see a person stabbing another so that's not the first place where the mind would go.

The timing of 12:25am makes this seem highly unlikely to me. I can't find the timestamp from the picture of Katie walking across the rainbow crosswalk, but I believe it was between 12-12:15am. For the murders to happen near 10th street entrance and then leave from the 12th street entrance seems highly unlikely due to the distance. Only possibility is if the murders happened within seconds and he sprinted as fast as possible.
Yeah, when I first looked at him and saw what looks like a red stain, coupled with the fact that they included 3 pics of him, I thought surely he was perp. But if she was at the crosswalk at 12:07, she didn’t get down to Charles Allen until probably 12:15 or so. If all of these time stamps are accurate, there’s no way he did all that and got over to Piedmont in 10 minutes. Not sure how accurate the time stamps are though.

My thought on this is....depending on how fast she was incapacitated anyone passing might have assumed they were seeing a different sort of encounter in the dark and may have even tried to avoid/look away. No one would have been expecting to see a person stabbing another so that's not the first place where the mind would go.
VERY good point. The park is rather notorious for that kind of thing after dark.

Yeah, when I first looked at him and saw what looks like a red stain, coupled with the fact that they included 3 pics of him, I thought surely he was perp. But if she was at the crosswalk at 12:07, she didn’t get down to Charles Allen until probably 12:15 or so. If all of these time stamps are accurate, there’s no way he did all that and got over to Piedmont in 10 minutes. Not sure how accurate the time stamps are though.

Not just that—he’s dressed head to toe in white. Surely the killer would have more blood on him than just one (albeit large) spot under an arm.

I thought maybe the cane was one of those sword/cane combo things.

Similar to:

hook-sword-cane-2717583.jpg

I feel so sad, for the whole world actually...this is so horrendous...I feel so much anger towards the person who did this. Rest in peace wonderful woman....so sorry for your loved ones.....Love is love no matter who, what, where......

It's "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time," right? (Sherlock Holmes reference.) Crimes of opportunity go for "soft targets"; anyone walking a pit bull is the opposite of a soft target. Even someone having a psychotic break would likely realize that the presence of the dog vastly increases their chance of being grievously injured themselves, and why risk that for an unspecific target? I'd betting all the marbles that Katie's killer was someone she (and Bowie) knew. So very sad, and I hope they are able to solve this one quickly and serve justice for Katie and Bowie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1