GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m new here so I am not sure how to copy links, but if you google “gang initiation stabbing” a lot of cases come up. However I’ve lived in the Atlanta area my entire life and have never heard of a gang related murder this violent and random.

Same here. I have lived in Atlanta for nearly my whole life and have never heard of anything like this. All possibilities should be explored, but gang initiation just doesn’t seem right. Also, gang initiations are performed by new members. This seems way too brazen for something like that IMO.

I also agree this has not seem to be gang related.
At the press conference yesterday there were representatives from APD, they were from different departments that seem to be involved in this case and there was no one there from the gang task force.

The involvement of a larger dog is significant to me. I can understand why some people are suggesting the assailant was known to the victim, because of the dog, but I personally don't think so. I can't get past it, though, that this killer took on a pitbull. It's why I still think the encounter began between the dog and killer, for whatever reason, and that led to the victim's murder. The killer was likely there for nefarious reasons, imo, which the dog maybe picked up on. But I'm not convinced the victim was an intentional target. Who knows!

Slim chance, but is there any possibility that the attack could have been an attempted dog-nabbing situation obviously turned violent?
There seems to have been a huge increase in dog-napping everywhere in recent years, Wondering if KJ's gf's dog was neutered? imo. speculation, fwiw

May 9 2021
Burke County man speaks out after finding dogs shot to death and some stolen | WJBF
Feb 2021
Atlanta couple heartbroken after dog stolen during car break-in
Prosecutors: Suspects tailed Lady Gaga's dog walker
May 2021
''LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three men drove around the Hollywood area in late February, on the prowl for expensive French bulldogs to steal, prosecutors said. Their night would end in gunfire — and the violent theft of pop star Lady Gaga’s beloved pets.''

Agree with those who say this is likely the work of a mentally ill park dweller. I suspect this poor woman was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and would be astounded if it has anything to do with her sexuality. In Midtown Atlanta, any random murder victim would have a pretty good chance of being something other than cisgender.

I’m most surprised that there were apparently no ear- or eye-witnesses to the crime. This is not a deserted rural area. At least prior to Covid, Midtown near the park was hopping 24/7. Can’t believe things are that different now.
Agree…the majority of my neighbors in Midtown are members of the LGBTQ community. And I’m also shocked that no witnesses have come forward. Lately the park has seemed even MORE crowded since Covid with people spending more time outside.

Agree…the majority of my neighbors in Midtown are members of the LGBTQ community. And I’m also shocked that no witnesses have come forward. Lately the park has seemed even MORE crowded since Covid with people spending more time outside.
I am hoping that witnesses have come forward that we have not yet heard about.

Last edited:
Slim chance, but is there any possibility that the attack could have been an attempted dog-nabbing situation obviously turned violent?
There seems to have been a huge increase in dog-napping everywhere in recent years, Wondering if KJ's gf's dog was neutered? imo. speculation, fwiw

May 9 2021
Burke County man speaks out after finding dogs shot to death and some stolen | WJBF
Feb 2021
Atlanta couple heartbroken after dog stolen during car break-in
May 2021
''LOS ANGELES (AP) — Three men drove around the Hollywood area in late February, on the prowl for expensive French bulldogs to steal, prosecutors said. Their night would end in gunfire — and the violent theft of pop star Lady Gaga’s beloved pets.''
If anyone in Atlanta wanted a pitbull they’re easy to come by. People hesitate to adopt them from the Humane Society and other shelters and there are many looking for homes. But i have had people stop me and tell me my pitbull is beautiful and at times I’ve got the feeling they would take her if they could. So who knows.

The involvement of a larger dog is significant to me. I can understand why some people are suggesting the assailant was known to the victim, because of the dog, but I personally don't think so. I can't get past it, though, that this killer took on a pitbull. It's why I still think the encounter began between the dog and killer, for whatever reason, and that led to the victim's murder. The killer was likely there for nefarious reasons, imo, which the dog maybe picked up on. But I'm not convinced the victim was an intentional target. Who knows!

Good points! I personally think the dog neither provoked the killer nor does his death suggest that that the victim knew the killer. I’m leaning towards the idea that it was a literally delusional park squatter who simply killed KT and her dog because they were there.

On a side note, I read an interesting study that found that a sizable portion of people who mutilate the bodies of their victims do so in the throes of psychosis. In other words, an act so heinous isn’t always personal and calculated per se—quite possibly an issue of her being at the “wrong place, wrong time”. That’s my hunch at least.

Good points! I personally think the dog neither provoked the killer nor does his death suggest that that the victim knew the killer. I’m leaning towards the idea that it was a literally delusional park squatter who simply killed KT and her dog because they were there.

On a side note, I read an interesting study that found that a sizable portion of people who mutilate the bodies of their victims do so in the throes of psychosis. In other words, an act so heinous isn’t always personal and calculated per se—quite possibly an issue of her being at the “wrong place, wrong time”. That’s my hunch at least.
This is what I think as well, someone in the throes of psychosis. Someone who didn’t care that they might be spotted or there might be cameras or someone will come running because they hear the victim scream.

Shouldn't he have left a path of dripping blood showing (at least) the direction he went? I am imagining a madman absolutely covered in blood, a la Dexter. :(

I think I remember reading something about them searching the lake, but I don't think they ever said if they found anything of interest. It's so close to where Katie and Bowie were found, though, that it seems like that would be an obvious place where the killer might have tried to dispose of evidence.

Personally my hope is that the police already know who did it and are just waiting for enough evidence to press charges. The mayor's comment kind of leans me in that direction, as she said, "We still don't have all of the information we need in [Janness's] murder to make an arrest." To me her wording implies that they may be close to making an arrest, but just waiting on something (DNA test results, maybe)? That's just speculation on my part/reading between the lines, though.

This is what I think as well, someone in the throes of psychosis. Someone who didn’t care that they might be spotted or there might be cameras or someone will come running because they hear the victim scream.

I agree...I don't think we will find out that this was "personal;" if the mutilation is what the word implies, IMO it's a disturbing act of a disturbed mind.

Quoting myself to add that while i think it was someone in the throes of psychosis I also have thoughts like: the weapon was likely not a knife a person would normally carry. As far as we know the killer was not seen by anyone or camera. The killer must have left the scene rather quickly and not left any obvious clues to their identity.
Would someone on the throes of psychosis have the presence of mind to escape unnoticed?

I think I remember reading something about them searching the lake, but I don't think they ever said if they found anything of interest. It's so close to where Katie and Bowie were found, though, that it seems like that would be an obvious place where the killer might have tried to dispose of evidence.

Personally my hope is that the police already know who did it and are just waiting for enough evidence to press charges. The mayor's comment kind of leans me in that direction, as she said, "We still don't have all of the information we need in [Janness's] murder to make an arrest." To me her wording implies that they may be close to making an arrest, but just waiting on something (DNA test results, maybe)? That's just speculation on my part/reading between the lines, though.
I really hope they do have more info than is being released. It’s hard to imagine the killer walking a few minutes deeper into the park to dispose of evidence (and then out?) without being seen. But who knows.

Quoting myself to add that while i think it was someone in the throes of psychosis I also have thoughts like: the weapon was likely not a knife a person would normally carry. As far as we know the killer was not seen by anyone or camera. The killer must have left the scene rather quickly and not left any obvious clues to their identity.
Would someone on the throes of psychosis have the presence of mind to escape unnoticed?
Yes! This is one of the weirder things about this…it’s hard to picture someone being in the middle of a psychotic episode yet quietly disappearing into the night.

Aug 4 2021

Woah, so the runner DID pop in and out of the park. I honestly would be traumatized if I were him knowing how utterly close he was to the scene. So spooky. I’m also glad those kids photographed leaving the Charles St and 10th entrance (they look high school/college aged?) got out when they did. I’m sure they are feeling uneasy knowing how close they were to something so horrific...

Woah, so the runner DID pop in and out of the park. I honestly would be traumatized if I were him knowing how utterly close he was to the scene. So spooky. I’m also glad those kids photographed leaving the Charles St and 10th entrance (they look high school/college aged?) got out when they did. I’m sure they are feeling uneasy knowing how close they were to something so horrific...
How does that runner entering/exiting the park line up with the time the victim wad killed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyingHorses4