GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was fast. Not too much new information. They did briefly discuss the gang problem in Fulton County.

I missed it?!? Lol. I've been sitting here for an hour waiting. All I see is:

"The Live Video Should Start Soon
You'll be able to watch the live video when the event host goes live."

So nothing new then?

I have been refreshing all day, every day, looking for info about this case since it happened, and feel so much anxiety and fear. I cannot imagine being local!

Is the entire park fenced? Is it jumpable? Would there be a way someone could enter/exit without being on a camera?

No the park is not fenced in. There are gates at the main entrances so that cars can enter with special permission (police, events, food trucks, etc.). You can walk in and out of the park at any point along 10th street or Piedmont and 12th St. until you hit a gated members only club (Piedmont Driving Club) followed by the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. On the East side of the park, there is Park Tavern and an unfinished path which is part of the Beltline that goes all the way to I-85.

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. Is there a camera covering every entrance to this park? Meaning, the killer would have to be on camera somewhere both entering and exiting?

Is the entire park fenced? Is it jumpable? Would there be a way someone could enter/exit without being on a camera?

I’m interested in this too. I have only been there a handful of times for special events but remember there being some openings by Park Tavern where one could escape unseen.
No the park is not fenced in. There are gates at the main entrances so that cars can enter with special permission (police, events, food trucks, etc.). You can walk in and out of the park at any point along 10th street or Piedmont and 12th St. until you hit a gated members only club (Piedmont Driving Club) followed by the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. On the East side of the park, there is Park Tavern and an unfinished path which is part of the Beltline that goes all the way to I-85.

ATL native here feeling pretty dumb not knowing that the Beltline connected to Piedmont Park and I-85. My mind is blown.

I missed it?!? Lol. I've been sitting here for an hour waiting. All I see is:

"The Live Video Should Start Soon
You'll be able to watch the live video when the event host goes live."

So nothing new then?

I have been refreshing all day, every day, looking for info about this case since it happened, and feel so much anxiety and fear. I cannot imagine being local!
Nothing new from the press conference that I heard. I want to go back and re-listened to her wording when she says that people should not go out alone at night and if they go to the park to take three or four people and not go there at night.
She said it in such a way that it does not come across as jarring to me which is of course the way she should’ve said it. I would’ve said, oh my God y’all don’t go to the park after dark!, Lol. But I think that unless people are playing close to What they say at the press conference’s and in the media they may miss the warning and not realize that it was such a violent crime.

Hi all. Local here. I went to high school across the street from Piedmont Park (grady high school then, midtown high now) and I currently live a couple of blocks away. I run all the time in the park and have for 10? years or so. This case has shaken me, and my heart breaks for everyone involved. Truly. I didn’t know the victim but it’s just, I have no words.

At first, given the area, I assumed somebody she knew or came across or had interactions with did this. I’ve never heard or seen anything like this through my 25ish years of living in Atlanta.

As more time has gone on, I am starting to think somebody in the throes of psychosis did this. Most crime here involves guns, at least from what little I know.

But just like someone else asked, How can someone in the throes of psychosis manage to do this in the time span we are talking about and manage to get away? And STAY away?! I asked one of my cop friends this question and he said, there are so many ways to leave and enter Piedmont Park, especially at night, which is true but…. It’s all just surreal.

The fact that the cameras were down inside of the park and haven’t been not working since 2008 blows my mind. It’s so unfair. I have been so scared, selfishly, since this has happened because of how close I live to the park, how often I walk my dog and run, and it just literally could have been me.

I’m so saddened for the family and for Katherine and Bowie. with FBI involved, how difficult is it to catch a psychotic killer who is probably marked up by a pitbull?!??

I’m interested in this too. I have only been there a handful of times for special events but remember there being some openings by Park Tavern where one could escape unseen.

ATL native here feeling pretty dumb not knowing that the Beltline connected to Piedmont Park and I-85. My mind is blown.

Yeah it goes from the gravel parking lot by Park Tavern behind Ansley Mall all the way out to I-85. I had to look up the map on the Beltline's website to see where they have extended it to. Most people stick to the already paved parts of the Beltline, I don't think this part has been paved yet, but there is a path. Added link to the map

Interim Trails

Here you go... https://mobile.twitter.com/ZacOnTV/status/1421228472748417027

The tweet shows investigators returning to the park to load into their van a "large tree branch" that was at or near the scene. We haven't really discussed how this could be related to the crime. IMO they found something at autopsy that caused them to realize it was related.

The second picture in the tweet shows the scene and it appears family or friends have left a small memorial.

I too think the runner either didn't want to run by a sick/injured animal OR he thought he saw a sexual encounter occurring just off the path and tried to avoid.

Maybe the perp jumped/ was hiding in the tree.

From the information that has been made publicly available, it seems that LE thinks the killer initially attacked (but not necessarily killed) Katie before killing Bowie––so IMO it seems more likely she was the primary target, not the dog.

Autopsy on dog belonging to Piedmont Park murder victim –– FOX 5 Atlanta <snipped>

Investigators believe it is almost a certainty the pet named Bowie engaged with the killer in an effort to protect his owner.

As such, APD ordered an autopsy of the animal looking for potential DNA that may have ended up on, or in the mouth of Bowie.

"They will treat the dog forensically the same way they would treat a human being," said Vincent Velazquez, a former homicide detective with the Atlanta force.

Velazquez expects bite impressions have already been taken off the animal as well as a check of the dog's nails for potential skin that may have been left by the person who committed the murder.

Investigators believe it is almost a certainty the pet named Bowie engaged with the killer in an effort to protect his owner.
This just breaks my heart. Maybe Bowie can be the hero after all.

I just watched that CBS46 report. One thing that really hit was near the end the reporter says that they are not revealing any more information about what happened to Katie because the details "are so disturbing." Eventually we will probably know, but I get the feeling that this is far, far, FAR beyond just being stabbed a bunch of times. The words of her wife, the unknown person heard on the phone call, and the comments of the police all indicate this was something really atrocious. And that sort of thing would take a little bit of time I would think.

It's been a while since a case here brought me to actual tears. Thank the locals who have chimed in with ideas and insight about the area. I am devoted to helping the marginalized and those who struggle to help themselves and sadly, the LGBTQ+ community is still marginalized, and well, yeah, dogs can't help themselves.

I am most curious (in a crime solving way) about the "mutilation" at this point. Facts lead us to theories, not the other way around so we need more facts IMO and knowing that could help us websleuths form some additional theories.

hugs your pets and loved ones.

I just watched that CBS46 report. One thing that really hit was near the end the reporter says that they are not revealing any more information about what happened to Katie because the details "are so disturbing." Eventually we will probably know, but I get the feeling that this is far, far, FAR beyond just being stabbed a bunch of times. The words of her wife, the unknown person heard on the phone call, and the comments of the police all indicate this was something really atrocious. And that sort of thing would take a little bit of time I would think.
One thing that stood out to me is that the gf said she "felt for a pulse but she was clearly gone." I suppose in the dark she might not have been able to fully see what was going on, or it was a knee-jerk reaction to check for a pulse.

I posted several days ago about the Little Rock knife killings and attacks which are fairly recent and unsolved, wondering if there could be a connection. I know a few other posters have also taken an interest in any possible connections with that case. On the surface, the similarities are intriguing: knife attacks in the very wee hours of the morning in a downtown area, targeting lone pedestrians. And the pattern of the attacks basically fits for this to be the fifth in that series.

But your post, @PrairieWind, perfectly elucidates why I'm backing away from thinking this is the same perp. The LR attacks, while brutal and violent, seem like someone jumped those people, stabbed them a bunch of times, and took off. Especially since he just left the 43-year-old woman and she ended up surviving and giving a description of him.

The MO in the Katie/Bowie murder seems completely different based on what little we know. Like, as some have said, a Jack the Ripper MO. Completely disturbing.

I would assume that the police have the results of the DNA now. It should tell if the killer is male/female and possibly even ethnicity. At least that is what I see on the true crime investigations. It would be helpful to narrow the search somewhat.

One thing that stood out to me is that the gf said she "felt for a pulse but she was clearly gone." I suppose in the dark she might not have been able to fully see what was going on, or it was a knee-jerk reaction to check for a pulse.
She did make a comment like this, saying she didn't at first realize "how bad it was". And she says she checked Katie's pulse.

Clark said Tuesday she ran away after discovering the body. “I of course found her and I didn’t initially realize how bad it was. I didn’t stick around,” she said, but added that she thinks someone in the area should know what happened before she arrived.

911 call and new video in Piedmont Park murder shed light on a timeline

However, the 911 call makes me think part of her did realize how bad it was, but I think when you see someone you love badly harmed, sometimes people go into a denial and try anything no matter how clear it is that it won't help. Thinking of Jackie O trying to help/save JFK in the back of the convertible, or people who find spouses who died by suicide hours ago doing CPR because they love that person and are in a state of disbelief/desperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95