GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for you folks familiar with the park and the area. Are those mostly apartment buildings around the park or is it a mix of office buildings and shops?

It's a mix all around the park. Across from the entrance where she was found there are apartments, condos, a private elementary school, million dollar+ homes, a public high school. Theres a Trader Joes down the street and Park Tavern a large restaurant/bar/event venue right on the park. Then other parts of the park have million dollar + homes, a private country club and the Atlanta botanical gardens.

I'm speculating here...and not Pit Bull "bullying" at all. I love Pit Bulls (as long as they love me!) and am a huge dog lover (as long as they are over 30 lbs LOL) But some ARE easily antagonized. What if Bowie attacked first, perp stabbed Bowie, then when Katherine came to Bowie's defense she was attacked by the perp...Bowie then staggered 100 feet away and died?

A question for you folks familiar with the park and the area. Are those mostly apartment buildings around the park or is it a mix of office buildings and shops?
On the 10th St side it’s residential with a daycare or preschool (can’t remember which) mixed in, until you get past Charles Allen, then there’s a high school, restaurants etc. at 10th and Monroe. On the 12th St side residential and restaurants/businesses on the walk from 10th and Piedmont to the 12th St entrance.

It does seem like its almost impossible that someone didn't see something. The jogging guy is interesting.

Exactly or the person who can be heard on the 911 call when Emma found Katie. We don't know much about that person, but they stumbled upon it the same time as Emma. I find it impossible that something this horrific happened in the park and no one heard or saw anything.

Someone above mentioned Park Tavern, a restaurant/bar in the park. According to Google, it closes at midnight every night during the work week. I'm assuming there is parking close by for employees, but I wonder if some employees from there (who may be there later than midnight, maybe even until 1 AM or so doing closing activities) walk home and may have been walking through the park or around that area at the time of the murder? Just a thought.

I am curious if jogging man has come forward yet. I really hope if he hasn't, he isn't holding out due to fear or guilt that he didn't do something that night. For instance, if he heard what he thought was just a couple arguing or a couple having sex or saw the murdered dog and decided to not get involved, although I, too, would probably feel awful when I found out later what happened, it wasn't his fault, and he can actually be of SO much use if he comes forward. On the off chance that jogging man is reading here, please contact the police if you haven't already.

One thing that stood out to me is that the gf said she "felt for a pulse but she was clearly gone." I suppose in the dark she might not have been able to fully see what was going on, or it was a knee-jerk reaction to check for a pulse.

I thought this too! Good point. Morbid but there was a woman on Oprah once who talked about how her two girls were killed when they were riding in a limo on the way back from a relative’s wedding after a drunk driver had slammed into them.

The mom “took” one of the girls away from the scene in shock even though there is not a single person on this planet who could have mistaken her for alive given her condition.
I’m being as euphemistic as possible because I don’t want to violate this forum’s norms when it comes to NSFW details but yeah, it was pretty bad.

I think your brain can do weird things when in shock..

Aug 5 2021 rbbm.
Officials warn people not to visit Piedmont Park alone at night until killer is caught
''ATLANTA — Authorities from the Fulton County Sheriff’s office, the Fulton County DA’s office and the U.S. Attorney’s Office all banded together Thursday afternoon to show that they are working together to help Atlanta police catch the person who stabbed and killed a woman in Piedmont Park.''

“We know that this is an important crime and that the public is watching and waiting,” Willis said. “It is not a crime that is going unnoticed. It is a crime that we are collectively putting our resources in and working together to solve.”

''The district attorney said as law enforcement agencies across the metro work to find the killer, she wants people to be smart if they are going to the park and to travel in groups.

“I love Piedmont Park as well, but we’re asking that you go with three or four friends while you’re there and that you’re not alone at night,” Willis said.

Labat said, so far, the stepped-up patrols have landed 15 felony arrests, 13 misdemeanor arrests and helped locate 13 wanted people. He also said the patrols have resulted in nearly 250 citations.''

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. Is there a camera covering every entrance to this park? Meaning, the killer would have to be on camera somewhere both entering and exiting?

Is the entire park fenced? Is it jumpable? Would there be a way someone could enter/exit without being on a camera?
There is very little if any fencing. The killer could leave and enter from 100's of points along 12th Street, 10th St, Monroe, Piedmont. It's interesting--their focus on these points of entry and that may be because there are cameras in these areas and not in others.

Partner of woman killed in Piedmont Park feels lost without her ‘favorite person in the world’ –– WSB-TV
<snipped>

Clark said her nightmare began July 27, around 11 p.m. Janness came to see her at work, then went to walk their dog, Bowie.

“We said goodbye. Said be safe. Love you, see you later,” Clark said.

She said Janness wasn’t home when she got off, so she called her. Janness never answered, so Clark used the Find My Phone app. It said Janness was at Piedmont Park.

Police have been searching for the killer.

“There’s not a place in midtown that I can go where I’m not going to think about her or what happened,” Clark said. “She was just to me my favorite person in the world.”

Clark said she doesn’t know much about the investigation or whether police have a suspect or not.

What she does know is Bowie tried to protect Janness and may have lost his life because of it.

“If anybody had come with ill intention, I don’t think he would have stood down at all,” Clark said.

Police said they have increased their presence at the park.

Meanwhile, people who visit the popular park don’t feel safe with a killer on the loose.

Clark said she and Janness were never concerned about safety at the park.

“I want them to find whoever did this,” Clark said. “I’ve talked to Katie about this before. She never worried about her being out at night. It doesn’t seem like anything really is being done about it.”

Now she plans to move from the area.

“I went straight there. And that’s where I found both of them,” Clark said.

Janness had been stabbed multiple times. Her body was disfigured.

Bowie had also been killed.

I used to live 2 blocks from where the murder took place (now I live in another county 30mins away). I was in Midtown 4 evenings ago and went to pay respects at the memorial located at the gate (10th St.)
It was nighttime (around 11:00pm) when I was there.
It is nearly completely dark along the road and park after you pass the 10th street gate heading towards Monroe Drive. There are street lights all along the road prior to the 10th st gate which illuminate the street and into the park. The lack of lighting along the latter stretch provides ample cover for anyone walking around in the park. It’s very dark. You cannot see very far into the park from the road or sidewalk.
Dangerous. Why stop with the lighting there? They need to put up more lights.
I saw so many dark spots a person could hide and wait for a potential victim. You can see up and down the sidewalk if someone is coming, but they can’t see you.
The killer could have easily waiting - lurking in the shadows and when Katie walked by he could have blitzed her from behind.
He could also have been hiding behind the bathroom that is located near the gate where she was found.
With many of the businesses nearby having cameras the APD probably has gotten more footage of her walking her route. Still not clear if she took 10th to the park or entered at Piedmont. Either way she would have ended up at the 10th st gate around the same time depending on Bowie stopping to potty or something.
When I was there the other night people were out walking, biking, etc. There were big gaps in foot and vehicle traffic though.
I hope they catch the person soon.
RIP Katie and Bowie. My heart goes out to the family.

It's a mix all around the park. Across from the entrance where she was found there are apartments, condos, a private elementary school, million dollar+ homes, a public high school. Theres a Trader Joes down the street and Park Tavern a large restaurant/bar/event venue right on the park. Then other parts of the park have million dollar + homes, a private country club and the Atlanta botanical gardens.

Spot on. Probably irrelevant, but even those of you who have never been to Atlanta have probably seen Piedmont Park without realizing it because a lot of film productions have shot there. For example, in that Avengers:Infinity War scene where Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and Pepper (Gwyneth Paltrow) are talking in a park, that’s Piedmont Park. The surrounding areas are pretty much as people describe—there’s tons of office buildings and restaurants and bars and million dollar homes and condos, in addition to a high school nearby. Atlanta’s obviously not as dense as NYC but this area is pretty “urban” feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95