GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Katie was at Henry's at 11pm. We don't know how long she stayed, but I'm guessing not long since she had the dog plus Emma was at work so wouldn't be visiting that long. Couldn't have been an hour. She's then seen an hour later a block away at the rainbow crosswalk. What happened in that hour when she was walking the dog. I doubt it was normal for her to walk her dog for 2 hours. Timeline is not adding up.

In one of the articles early on, it said that she visited her partner for dinner. So, maybe she stayed a little longer than just a quick hello.

media is sloppy when in a hurry to break a story. Does their relationship status make a difference - whether coupled or married? Just trying to see why it would matter.
Good question. It matters because a majority of crimes (~55%) are committed by people who know victim. Additionally the 'gruesome' nature of the crime may hint towards a personal motive.

What I think the poster is referring to is whether it matters if they were married or simply a couple. The news has used “partner” and “wife” or “life partner” but in the 911 call, Emma used “girlfriend”. I think the media ran with “wife” as a stylistic choice because Emma’s dad said they were practically married but didn’t need to make it official to feel that way.

Ultimately I think it makes no difference whether they were legally married or simply “life partners”—they were in a relationship either way. I’m 300% sure the GF had nothing to do with it

Last edited:
From the in person interview with Emma it was said they considered each other life partners. In the 911 call she said girlfriend and maybe because not legally married.

This is the first case I've posted on, but how normal is it for the partner of the murder victim who discovered the body to be doing interviews directly after? Not speculating only wondering if this is normal behavior with partners.
From the in person interview with Emma it was said they considered each other life partners. In the 911 call she said girlfriend and maybe because not legally married.

This is the first case I've posted on, but how normal is it for the partner of the murder victim who discovered the body to be doing interviews directly after? Not speculating only wondering if this is common with partners.

I wondered the same thing. She's been interviewed a lot. It's possible that that's a trauma response. And shes just trying to process wherever she can. That she's still in some deep state of shock and really hasn't come back to her body since then. Dunno if that makes sense but I imagine there's some dissociation going on still just to cope.
People handle grief differently. Some just shut down, some want to get out and talk. Some of her comments have seemed odd to me to be honest. But I think she is just in shock.
People handle grief differently. Some just shut down, some want to get out and talk. Some of her comments have seemed odd to me to be honest. But I think she is just in shock.

This is the first case I've posted on, but how normal is it for the partner of the murder victim who discovered the body to be doing interviews directly after? Not speculating only wondering if this is common with partners.

I don’t think it’s unheard of, especially since the identity of the killer is still a mystery and keeping it fresh in the public’s mind might help Emma bring justice to Katie. I don’t think their technical relationship status makes a difference with respect to this issue either.

I don’t think it’s unheard of, especially since the identity of the killer is still a mystery and keeping it fresh in the public’s mind might help Emma bring justice to Katie.

Thank you. A friend in the area said people will go back to normal next week if there isn't new information so I can understand wanting to keep it in the publics mind.

Thank you @Counttrarian. That is great resource. I am well versed.

However, my point was that whether they were MARRIED or simply DATING, what difference does it make (aside from legal rights of survivorship)? I know violence is often at the hands of those we know. That was not my point.

@moonriverfarm Exactly.

Different terms being used by Emma. This is common in the LGBTQ community (of which I am a member). Before ss marriage legalization, we self-authorized to use terms interchangeably. With girlfriend /partner/wife often times meaning the same thing: lifelong commitment and devotion. From what I've gleaned, they considered themselves married.

Same here. I’m a woman married to a woman and use words like “partner” out of habit.

I'm deleting my initial post to comply with websleuths rules. I shared a FB post alerting people to a missing person. This Fox5 article is perhaps in reference to the same man. If that's the case it would be safe to say it's not related to Katie since police say no foul play.
Body of missing man found near northeast Atlanta street

Last edited:
the second person...who was that.....if they ran over to the body and attempted cpr then they would be covered with blood. just like the perp. who may have been hanging around still. could they be the same person??

I’m confused by your post. If you’re referring to the “second person” as the one who came upon KJ right after she was discovered by her partner, Emma…I think that person came running out or the park and could be heard screaming in the background of the 911 call. Emma checked for a pulse. But I don’t recall reading that anyone started CPR.

Spiral stairs, I have wanted to bring the topic of your last post to light myself. But I do not think we’re allowed to post about it because if it’s not main stream media or law-enforcement it’s considered Rumor.
Maybe you should edit your post and put rumor at the top and take the Facebook link out.

I’m confused by your post. If you’re referring to the “second person” as the one who came upon KJ right after she was discovered by her partner, Emma…I think that person came running out or the park and could be heard screaming in the background of the 911 call. Emma checked for a pulse. But I don’t recall reading that anyone started CPR.

no but they could ‘say’ they had as a reason for being covered in blood

just find it off nobody saw anything, then a person appeared at the same time body was discovered by Emma…. Could that person have something to do with this murder?

Good question. It matters because a majority of crimes (~55%) are committed by people who know victim. Additionally the 'gruesome' nature of the crime may hint towards a personal motive.

They were in a committed, long- term, and seemingly loving relationship. You asked earlier if her partner was considered a suspect and the answer was given that it would make NO sense for the FBI to be called in and for authorities to recklessly mislead the community that there was a monster on the loose if they had even an inkling that her wife was POI, not to mention her whereabouts have very likely been verified by coworkers /cell phone she was actively using when looking for Katie with.
Wife, life partner, girlfriend. Not POI or suspect. She is a victim.

MOO

I'm deleting my initial post to comply with websleuths rules. I shared a FB post alerting people to a missing person. This Fox5 article is perhaps in reference to the same man. If that's the case it would be safe to say it's not related to Katie since police say no foul play.
Body of missing man found near northeast Atlanta street
Welcome to Websleuths!!!
And very good job finding the article. I searched and searched this morning and could not find anything that I could post here.
For a while I thought I might be the only one who made the connection that it was one week after Katie’s murder and he was last seen across the street from there at the high school. I figured it was a coincidence but it did catch my eye.

The second person who stumbled in the body…. Anyone finding the body would have traces on them. As would the murderer. A good cover story was my initial thought

don’t sickos like to hang around their crime scenes and insert themselves into enquiries etc?

True. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already given a statement. It looks like he just stumbled upon the after math much like the girlfriend did. The AJC ran an article where this woman mentioned her roommate had come home late from work crying because he saw the dog in the street. He asked if he could help and a handful of people at the scene told him that he “didn’t want to see what they saw”. So I’m sure those people all have statements but it’ll be interesting if they saw anyone fleeing.

If I was the perp I wouldn't flee by going back onto the street where tons of cameras are I would escape by moving further into the park. It's huge and you could be nearly half a kilometre away in less than five minutes.

The second person who stumbled in the body…. Anyone finding the body would have traces on them. As would the murderer. A good cover story was my initial thought

don’t sickos like to hang around their crime scenes and insert themselves into enquiries etc?

Listening to the 911 call, I was under the impression this second person came upon the scene after the girlfriend, as you can hear him shout a horrified expletive in the background of the call.

no but they could ‘say’ they had as a reason for being covered in blood

just find it off nobody saw anything, then a person appeared at the same time body was discovered by Emma…. Could that person have something to do with this murder?
They were in a committed, long- term, and seemingly loving relationship. You asked earlier if her partner was considered a suspect and the answer was given that it would make NO sense for the FBI to be called in and for authorities to recklessly mislead the community that there was a monster on the loose if they had even an inkling that her wife was POI, not to mention her whereabouts have very likely been verified by coworkers /cell phone she was actively using when looking for Katie with.
Wife, life partner, girlfriend. Not POI or suspect. She is a victim.

MOO

THIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members