GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s a good point no matter what kind of summer Atlanta is having. And I think Atlanta has had a relatively normal summer, at least temperature wise. Just my opinion.

I live just north of the city, and this year the high temps on every one of the the last nine days of July were over 90 degrees. I remember watching the late news on the 27th (my b’day was the next day) and seeing that local highs for the next four days were expected to be 98, 97, 97 and 97. Looking online, it appears that almost every one of those same nine days had lows in the mid-upper 70’s (early am), so at midnight in the park, it could’ve still been low-mid eighties. It’s been very humid as well.

Does that mean that nobody would wear a hoodie in that weather? No. But I agree with Silver_produce0 that “the attire seems odd for summertime in the south”. Again, just my opinion

At 12:01 am on July 28th it was 77 degrees in Atlanta, with high humidity.

See chart of past weather here

Everyone is different in how they feel the heat. Someone used to very hot weather would have found it almost cool. Someone from Canada would have felt it to be uncomfortably hot. So who's to say how that guy felt, he must have been OK with how he was dressed, and it didn't seem suspicious to me.

I believe the photos released today were recorded at an earlier time (or later, I don't know.. ) in the evening either elsewhere in the park or possibly on the belt line. The original footage taken from initial released photos shows clear time stamp of jogger taking left into Charles Allen entrance from 10th st. at 12:46:13 and exiting out of park at Charles Allen entrance taking left back onto 10th street at 12:46:54 (41 secs). The new photos released appear to be taken from entirely different cameras and are much sharper images. Not sure why this.

It seems like there are probably a lot of photos the public hasn't seen. They might have photos of Katie going into the park and even some of her in the park. All we can do is speculate what the jogger did and where he went, until they make more things public.

I sure wish I knew they had a suspect at least! I'm carrying a flashlight around with me on my own yard when I take my dog out, and I'm 10 miles from Atlanta.

I don't believe the leaving Henry's (which also appears to have a patio) at 11:30 timeline has been established and think it may have been closer to midnight.
If anyone has something indicating otherwise thanks in advance for correct me.

Watch Emma's interview that I have linked perviously. She says 11:30. This has been reported differently from other news articles as 11. With her being the main witness, she says 11:30.

I hope they have the killer’s DNA.
If this ends up being like the case of Abby and Libby…I can not stand the thought.
A person could not commit a crime like this and leave no DNA!!!???? Or go unseen??!!!!

I have confidence in APD and the FBI.

Fox News ATL is reporting that there was

APD has repeatedly said it's not a serial killer. Not sure if that's standard m.o. for LE until they get clarity on what they're dealing with in order to allay public's fear or ...
I can't disagree with any of your comments, but I wonder if it's possible that this killer just 'graduated to the next level' rather than just moved to town.

It's possible he (or she) just moved to their own place, away from the prying eyes of Mom & Dad, and have expanded past torturing cats and dogs. I this this is a low possibility, but still possible. I suspect that the killer is not super young.
I feel this is too big of a leap from animal torture. He took on the dog and her all at once. There must be other victims some where, just not in Atlanta or maybe they survived other similar attacks.

Excuse my stupidity but I'm looking for some clarification on the family tracking apps like the one Emma used.. That information is only available in real time, right? As opposed to recording the person's route for later use possibly with details on time?
That would be too easy.

If you watch the interview that Emma gave after the murder, she explains how she was able to track her. It was find my iPhone, which you log into with your Apple ID and password. It allows you to find the location of your phone. She said in the interview that she drove around thinking it was not refreshing in real time and then realized it was in the same spot so she went to that location.

With this you can either share your location, continuously share your location or log into your account and find your phone. A lot of people use this feature provided through the phone to find a lost or stolen phone.

Fulton County DA and Sheriff discuss local and federal collaboration in Piedmont Park murder case

https://www.cbs46.com/news/fulton-county-da-and-sheriff-discuss-local-and-federal-collaboration-in-piedmont-park-murder-case/article_c92f4aba-f63c-11eb-a050-f7d81d150ee8.html

Obviously, this would be a malice murder and an aggravated assault, but every charge we won’t know until an investigation is complete,” Willis said.

Any attorney’s here? Does the charge of malice murder mean Premeditation?

Fulton County DA and Sheriff discuss local and federal collaboration in Piedmont Park murder case

Obviously, this would be a malice murder and an aggravated assault, but every charge we won’t know until an investigation is complete,” Willis said.

Any attorney’s here? Does the charge of malice murder mean Premeditation?

GA Code § 16-5-1 (2014)
(b) Express malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof. Malice shall be implied where no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart.

The light on the hat bothers me. Could be blinding if you are looking straight at someone. However, I'm told it's common to wear lights on your head.
I think everyone is a suspect if you're on that video.
It's unlikely that a jogger who appears to be phot0graphed entering and leaving the park within a minute and then photographed running back towards the park from the opposite direction from ~a mile away (or ran to the park from a mile or so away passed the entrance and doubled back into the park), and without any bloodstains etc. is a viable suspect.

Watch Emma's interview that I have linked perviously. She says 11:30. This has been reported differently from other news articles as 11. With her being the main witness, she says 11:30.
In the interview Emma says "I saw her at 11:30", which to me at least doesn't preclude her seeing her from 11:30ish to 12ish.
It does not establish a timeline that Katie left Henry's precisely at 11:30.

GA Code § 16-5-1 (2014)
(b) Express malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof. Malice shall be implied where no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart.
Does that mean premeditated?

In the interview Emma says "I saw her at 11:30", which to me at least doesn't preclude her seeing her from 11:30ish to 12ish.
It does not establish a timeline that Katie left Henry's precisely at 11:30.

Actually, I think Emma said she got home about an hour after she had said goodbye to Katie when Katie left Henry’s

I think we’ve established that Emma had to have gotten home by around 12:30 to have had sufficient time to make calls, send texts, await responses, get in the car, track the iPhone, park, and then find Bowie and Katie - all by 1:00 ish.

So Katie had to have left around 11:30 - either that, or Emma is a very poor judge of time. But if Katie did leave at 11:30, the real question is: what did she do immediately after she left - as she was seen crossing the rainbow intersection at 10th St and Piedmont (which is only a block away from Henry’s) at 12:09. Why did it take her 40 minutes to walk just a block?

Actually, I think Emma said she got home about an hour after she had said goodbye to Katie when Katie left Henry’s

I think we’ve established that Emma had to have gotten home then around 12:30 to have had sufficient time to make calls, send texts, await responses, get in the car, track the iPhone, park, and then find Bowie and Katie - all by 1:00 ish.

So Katie had to have left around 11:30 - either that, or Emma is a very poor judge of time. But if Katie did leave at 11:30, the real question is: what did she do immediately after she left - as she was seen crossing the rainbow intersection at 10th St and Piedmont (which is only a block away from Henry’s) at 12:09. Why did it take her 40 minutes to walk just a block?
Maybe Emma was just estimating approximately what time it was. Maybe it was actually later than 11:30 pm.

Could it have been someone she knew? And that the dog was familiar to? After all, how many random people are going to stab a woman and a pit bull? Most people would avoid a pit bull.

"The police are going to increase their presence in the park". Little bit late.

Partner of woman killed in Piedmont Park feels lost without her ‘favorite person in the world’
It does make sense that a person with a pit bull would not be a sensible choice as a random victim, therefore, it leads to the idea that she was targeted for some reason? Perhaps, the killer had some type of infatuation with her and had been perhaps stalking her to learn her routine?

What makes you think the perp didn't target her because of something the dog did, or simply her unfortunately being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or it could have been someone she knew?
No offense to anyone but in
Does that mean premeditated?
It does make sense that a person with a pit bull would not be a sensible choice as a random victim, therefore, it leads to the idea that she was targeted for some reason? Perhaps, the killer had some type of infatuation with her and had been perhaps stalking her to learn her routine?

Good point about Bowie being a deterrent, but you’re assuming whoever did this is rational... Plus why would someone who knew her have better luck killing her with a pit bull by her side as opposed to a stranger? Whatever sense of familiarity with the dog a known attacker could benefit from would be thrown out the window the second the attacker went on the offense.

Good point about Bowie being a deterrent, but you’re assuming whoever did this is rational... Plus why would someone who knew her have better luck killing her with a pit bull by her side as opposed to a stranger? Whatever sense of familiarity with the dog a known attacker could benefit from would be thrown out the window the second the attacker went on the offense.
If the perpetrator had some fantasy obsession with this particular person it would explain why he risked engagement with the dog. It's just a theory, however, it is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbennett90