GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have often wondered if Katie stopped at an ATM to make a transaction, but then I realize the APD must have looked at her bank account/s.
So, you think Katie may have had more money with her than just the $5 found in her pocket? Makes sense since was leaving on her trip. I wonder where she and Bowie were from the time they left Emma’s work and then were seen in the video crossing the Rainbow crosswalk? Any ideas? Could she have dropped in at her work to say good bye since it was right there by the crosswalk. Maybe someone was there and followed her out; maybe he entered the park at C/A and Katie entered at 12th & Piedmont and he was waiting for her and Bowie as they approached the C/A entrance. Did anyone see Katie with any one or talking to anyone between 11:35 pm and 12:10 am?

I believe the date matters as if the killer thought, ‘It’s now or never.’ IMO, maybe that means he/she (still a possibility it was a she), felt they were definitely going to do it, got their bearings and plan all set and didn’t want to wait until she returned.
Bowie, I believe, was included in the plan as he was ‘always observed’ as the killer made his mental notes while watching her actions. Hurting him was, I believe, just showing the world he was smart enough and tough enough to ‘take care of’ anything that would get in his way, and he was pretty sure Bowie would be with Katie. OR, even as someone who just followed her that night, he made up his mind as he went along that it would prove to ‘everyone’ that he was not a wimp, and could handle anything he had to. I believe this person has no self assurance, and it manifests as narcissistic behavior and the need to ‘prove himself’ to the world. I still don’t feel it was random. Not necessarily a person close to Katie, because that isn’t how any of her friends are, it seems to me, but one of those who knew her in the ‘everyday relationship’ way. Maybe he had a grudge, feelings for her, or hate for gay people or women. Random would fit her being anybody, being a woman, but he couldn’t know her orientation. Random, IMO, may also mean another similar murder should have happened some time in later months. And to me, random means, (without that low esteem), that he might target a person without a dog.
I certainly think your scenario is quite plausible. My take varies just a bit from yours. From what we know about sexual sadists they torture, engage in ‘overkill’ that has nothing to do with a real relationship with a victim. IMO, the killer knew he wanted to kill someone in PP because he knew it so well and knew when and who was there during those early morning hours. He had likely seen Katie and Bowie in the PP and other places such as her work and maybe Emma’s. I think he targeted Katie because she was one of the few if not only woman in PP at that early hour. Given the time of the murder and that someone could have walked by, it was a very high risk crime, suggesting he felt comfortable doing it and taking care of Bowie as well.

I wonder about the DA’s statement that they found evidence making them believe the killer did not leave the murder scene immediately. That is a huge clue, imo.

Did police talk to the man who was at Katie’s body right after Emma found her? The man who was screaming while Emma was making the 911 call. Do they know who that was?

So, many questions! I want to believe the APD has the answers.

Just one more thing. If the killer is a serial, he wouldn’t necessarily kill again within months or even years. Depends on how gratified he is and how often he can relive the murder and get the same kind of physical and emotional experience.

So, you think Katie may have had more money with her than just the $5 found in her pocket? Makes sense since was leaving on her trip. I wonder where she and Bowie were from the time they left Emma’s work and then were seen in the video crossing the Rainbow crosswalk? Any ideas? Could she have dropped in at her work to say good bye since it was right there by the crosswalk. Maybe someone was there and followed her out; maybe he entered the park at C/A and Katie entered at 12th & Piedmont and he was waiting for her and Bowie as they approached the C/A entrance. Did anyone see Katie with any one or talking to anyone between 11:35 pm and 12:10 am?
I think Katie would have been savy enough to not walk around with much cash or stop at an ATM at night. Her work is right there in the area too so i also wondered if she perhaps stopped in there, but we didn't hear anything about it.

I also wonder about the person that Emma is engaging with as she makes the 911 call. I assume police spoke with that person but we don't know for sure. What did that person see? Where was he/she coming from and going to? Is that person a suspect? Did that person see anyone else? By the time Emma finds Katie and makes the call, it is quite possible maybe even probable that the killer is still in the immediate vicinity. And I still want to know what the jogger told the police about what he saw/did. I don't think he is a suspect, but his observations are critical. If for nothing else, to establish a timeline.

I certainly think your scenario is quite plausible. My take varies just a bit from yours. From what we know about sexual sadists they torture, engage in ‘overkill’ that has nothing to do with a real relationship with a victim. IMO, the killer knew he wanted to kill someone in PP because he knew it so well and knew when and who was there during those early morning hours. He had likely seen Katie and Bowie in the PP and other places such as her work and maybe Emma’s. I think he targeted Katie because she was one of the few if not only woman in PP at that early hour. Given the time of the murder and that someone could have walked by, it was a very high risk crime, suggesting he felt comfortable doing it and taking care of Bowie as well.

I wonder about the DA’s statement that they found evidence making them believe the killer did not leave the murder scene immediately. That is a huge clue, imo.

Did police talk to the man who was at Katie’s body right after Emma found her? The man who was screaming while Emma was making the 911 call. Do they know who that was?

So, many questions! I want to believe the APD has the answers.

Just one more thing. If the killer is a serial, he wouldn’t necessarily kill again within months or even years. Depends on how gratified he is and how often he can relive the murder and get the same kind of physical and emotional experience.
BBM

I always assumed they meant the time spent mutilating her body.

What do you think?

Like evidence that they sat for a while?

Smoked a cigarette?

What evidence would tell LE they stuck around?

A bloody puddle on the sidewalk where they stood watching?

I've thought about a rabid attacker looking for any outlet that happened to cross its path just right. But the tattoo mutilation seems specific like time was spent intentionally not just slashing the obvious areas.

all imo

As we’ve all seen it’s a beautiful and interesting neighborhood. I can certainly see why KJ would enjoy walking the area. It’s probably peaceful and pretty at night with the lights of the city: the nice homes lit up along the way. Large well-loved High School.

You can see all the paved walkways and a path or two that makes entering at the gate just one of many options just right there close.

I think I have this right you can swing it around to see around the area.

I may be getting my locations wrong- I know I will be corrected if so or I hope I will!

Isn’t this the Memorial put out for KJ?

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

I know you all have seen these just reviewing to keep KJ and Bowie in mind.

BBM

I always assumed they meant the time spent mutilating her body.

What do you think?

Like evidence that they sat for a while?

Smoked a cigarette?

What evidence would tell LE they stuck around?

A bloody puddle on the sidewalk where they stood watching?

I've thought about a rabid attacker looking for any outlet that happened to cross its path just right. But the tattoo mutilation seems specific like time was spent intentionally not just slashing the obvious areas.

all imo
I didn’t take it as time spent mutilating her body. Most of that was done while she was still alive (though likely not conscious).

Yea, I took it to mean there was evidence that the killer was hanging around after he killed her; waiting for someone to find Katie. There could have been leaves walked on or a path through the brush behind her body where he was watching. He could have left the park through side paths not the main entrances. Killers like this guy are notorious for hanging around the crime scene after a crowd gathers and the police show up.

Maybe they found a piece of his clothing. Not sure. I’d like to know, though.

All the mutilation was specific and likely the killer had been fantasizing about it for a very long time.

I wonder who the man was who was screaming and talking to Emma when she made the 911 call? Was that the killer?

As we’ve all seen it’s a beautiful and interesting neighborhood. I can certainly see why KJ would enjoy walking the area. It’s probably peaceful and pretty at night with the lights of the city: the nice homes lit up along the way. Large well-loved High School.
Many may disagree with me, but I would be terrified to walk Piedmont Park at night. It is beautiful during the day, but at night I would not be comfortable.

I keep looking this case up to see if there is a break in the case. It is so horrible what happened to her. I have always felt they have their sights on someone but the evidence to make a case is not there and they are waiting until the case is solid.

I didn’t take it as time spent mutilating her body. Most of that was done while she was still alive (though likely not conscious).

Yea, I took it to mean there was evidence that the killer was hanging around after he killed her; waiting for someone to find Katie. There could have been leaves walked on or a path through the brush behind her body where he was watching. He could have left the park through side paths not the main entrances. Killers like this guy are notorious for hanging around the crime scene after a crowd gathers and the police show up.

Maybe they found a piece of his clothing. Not sure. I’d like to know, though.

All the mutilation was specific and likely the killer had been fantasizing about it for a very long time.

I wonder who the man was who was screaming and talking to Emma when she made the 911 call? Was that the killer?
They collected a limb or several off a tree early on.

They collected a limb or several off a tree early on.
I recall reading an article about that. Do they think he was sitting in a tree? That would be pretty risky. But this killer seems immune to risk. Very frustrating!

How horrid if it was up a tree watching.

An average sized person could be hidden by the leaves and the lighting would be spotty up a tree.

We see in searches how often they don’t look up!

all imo

Many may disagree with me, but I would be terrified to walk Piedmont Park at night. It is beautiful during the day, but at night I would not be comfortable.

I keep looking this case up to see if there is a break in the case. It is so horrible what happened to her. I have always felt they have their sights on someone but the evidence to make a case is not there and they are waiting until the case is solid.

I bet we all agree now if we didn’t before!

I’m not really sure about alone in daytime at this point with no arrest, even with a dog. My dog is the source of my inattention to my surroundings on walks. He’s entertaining and I keep an eye on what he’s sniffing on the ground. People don’t pick up after their dogs so I’m looking out for piles in the grass to keep him from investigating.
I’m worried some of who I let pet my dog on walks or at the park. I'm thinking about saying something like “he’s super friendly now but bites unexpectedly…” to cover all bases.

Midtown is just so wonderful and the diversity of the people so exciting it’s easy to feel excepted to the dangers due to feeling generally at ease in your neighborhood, I think.

Scroll down to look at these fun and fine looking folks in the Midtown Neighborhood Association that borders the PP:
Midtown Atlanta - Midtown Neighbors Association (MNA)

I’m reminded of this thoughtful statement:

Our hearts continue to go out to all of those who were impacted by the recent tragedy. While we continue to move forward through these difficult times, we hope that you will find some time to visit the Park and find solace in its beauty. The Park remains a comforting and healing place for us to gather and enjoy one another’s company in the heart of the City celebrating lives both lived and lost.

– Mark Banta, President & CEO, Piedmont Park Conservancy

Safety in Piedmont Park - Piedmont Park Conservancy, Inc.

all imo

@RetLawyer interesting profile , I agree.
Any thoughts on why carve FAT on the body?
I don't think the man heard on the 911 call is the killer, no doubt Emma saw him and could have seen if he had any blood on him, also we do not know if he waited with Emma until the police arrived, he may have given a statement for example.
I think it would be very unusual for the killer to actually insert himself so quickly into the aftermath especially as he would in all likelihood have blood etc on him still.

@RetLawyer interesting profile , I agree.
Any thoughts on why carve FAT on the body?
I don't think the man heard on the 911 call is the killer, no doubt Emma saw him and could have seen if he had any blood on him, also we do not know if he waited with Emma until the police arrived, he may have given a statement for example.
I think it would be very unusual for the killer to actually insert himself so quickly into the aftermath especially as he would in all likelihood have blood etc on him still.
Only reason I wonder about that man is that the DA thinks there is evidence to suggest the killer did not immediately leave the crime scene after the murder. Hard to tell if Emma would have seen blood on him. Still would like to know who he is and if police talked to him. I don't think he would have stood around in the open. I think he would have hidden himself in some bushes, or say, up in a tree. They did take limbs and a branch as evidence near where Katie was found.
I'm perplexed by the carved "letters". Just relying on the autopsy report, it's difficult to conclude what letters they were. They weren't position in a row at the same level or the same size. The so called "T" is bigger and lower than the other two characters. Whatever they stand for, it likely only has meaning for the killer and not about Katie. I need to see the autopsy photo to have much of a conclusion. Maybe the killer's initials or the person in his life that is the prototype for the murder, say his mother. Hard to know.

You can see all the paved walkways and a path or two that makes entering at the gate just one of many options just right there close.

I think I have this right you can swing it around to see around the area.

I may be getting my locations wrong- I know I will be corrected if so or I hope I will!

Isn’t this the Memorial put out for KJ?

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

I know you all have seen these just reviewing to keep KJ and Bowie in mind.
I’ve lived in the city of Atlanta my entire life. PP is a beautiful park, but it has its dark creepy areas. I say this without judgement, personally I would be terrified to walk alone in PP at night and would not do it. I used to be a dog walker in the PP neighborhood and had creepy encounters on several occasions walking dogs in that park. I visit the park playground with my young family members and there are condom wrappers in the stairwell to the kid’s slide and lewd graffiti spray painted on the teeter totter. Last summer I noticed there was an open manhole in the park that leads directly into the sewer underground, and thought that it would be an easy escape to get from one side of the park to another and even out of the park. The top was wide open and looked to be that way for a while based on the debris collecting around it. I think about Katie and Bowie all the time and want justice for them!!!

I’ve lived in the city of Atlanta my entire life. PP is a beautiful park, but it has its dark creepy areas. I say this without judgement, personally I would be terrified to walk alone in PP at night and would not do it. I used to be a dog walker in the PP neighborhood and had creepy encounters on several occasions walking dogs in that park. I visit the park playground with my young family members and there are condom wrappers in the stairwell to the kid’s slide and lewd graffiti spray painted on the teeter totter. Last summer I noticed there was an open manhole in the park that leads directly into the sewer underground, and thought that it would be an easy escape to get from one side of the park to another and even out of the park. The top was wide open and looked to be that way for a while based on the debris collecting around it. I think about Katie and Bowie all the time and want justice for them!!!
Could it be that a person I believe to have been street-savvy and realistic about where she walked, NOT have been Inside the park but somehow lured inside where she was found, by someone calling for help or ‘the situational relationship guy’ ‘running into her’ and asking if she’d like to chat or take a brief walk a few yards into the park by the exit? IMO, Katie cared very much about Emma, and her mom and sister back home as well as Bowie, and wouldn’t take undue risks for her sake and theirs. I personally can’t make heads nor tails of all the street names and entrances and exits since I don’t live in the area, but couldn’t it be just that simple? And the loser, low-life who killed her wouldn’t have had to spend time detailing her daily dog walks Through the park, just on its outskirts-more straightforward and easier to plan.

Only reason I wonder about that man is that the DA thinks there is evidence to suggest the killer did not immediately leave the crime scene after the murder. Hard to tell if Emma would have seen blood on him. Still would like to know who he is and if police talked to him. I don't think he would have stood around in the open. I think he would have hidden himself in some bushes, or say, up in a tree. They did take limbs and a branch as evidence near where Katie was found.
I'm perplexed by the carved "letters". Just relying on the autopsy report, it's difficult to conclude what letters they were. They weren't position in a row at the same level or the same size. The so called "T" is bigger and lower than the other two characters. Whatever they stand for, it likely only has meaning for the killer and not about Katie. I need to see the autopsy photo to have much of a conclusion. Maybe the killer's initials or the person in his life that is the prototype for the murder, say his mother. Hard to know.
How easy can it possibly be to carve in the dark on a person’s body??! I believe what was reported in the autopsy were not exactly the letters or word the killer tried to impart … or proclaim. Perhaps personal to him; IMO, more likely a message to Katie and her loved ones.

Last edited:
How easy can it possibly be to carve in the dark on a person’s body??! I believe what was reported in the autopsy were not exactly the letters or word the killer tried to impart … or proclaim. Perhaps personal to him; IMO, more likely a message to Katie and her loved ones.
yes agree, it would have been very difficult to do a good job of it for sure.

Yes, I take your point about the difficulty of carving, not only because of the dark but the time pressure. So, it makes it more difficult to know what it was. But to think it was done to further Katie’s trauma or her loved ones is totally gut wrenching.

The reason, IMO, that it was not personal to Katie is because he had not had a close, ongoing relationship such that it would make sense of the # of stabs, wounds, etc. Most of the studies of these kind of murders show that the killer has a pent up rage about whatever happened to him over and over again through out his life. Katie, jmo, would have represented who he wanted to kill or how he wanted to get revenge. The killer’s relief post murder comes in how aroused he is during the killing. Everything he does is focused on whatever gratifies him. So, your perspective that he was leaving a message for Katie or her loved ones is as plausible as my perspective. Maybe more so. The more ideas about all this makes me hope the killer can be identified and arrested.

You, and Katie’s inner circle, must become exhausted facing all this and for over two years now. Makes me sad. a
I did not know Katie, but how she is described reminds me a lot of someone I know very well.

I think Katie would have been savy enough to not walk around with much cash or stop at an ATM at night. Her work is right there in the area too so i also wondered if she perhaps stopped in there, but we didn't hear anything about it.

I also wonder about the person that Emma is engaging with as she makes the 911 call. I assume police spoke with that person but we don't know for sure. What did that person see? Where was he/she coming from and going to? Is that person a suspect? Did that person see anyone else? By the time Emma finds Katie and makes the call, it is quite possible maybe even probable that the killer is still in the immediate vicinity. And I still want to know what the jogger told the police about what he saw/did. I don't think he is a suspect, but his observations are critical. If for nothing else, to establish a timeline.
do a lot of people (or did a lot of people) jog there at night?

Yes, I take your point about the difficulty of carving, not only because of the dark but the time pressure. So, it makes it more difficult to know what it was. But to think it was done to further Katie’s trauma or her loved ones is totally gut wrenching.

The reason, IMO, that it was not personal to Katie is because he had not had a close, ongoing relationship such that it would make sense of the # of stabs, wounds, etc. Most of the studies of these kind of murders show that the killer has a pent up rage about whatever happened to him over and over again through out his life. Katie, jmo, would have represented who he wanted to kill or how he wanted to get revenge. The killer’s relief post murder comes in how aroused he is during the killing. Everything he does is focused on whatever gratifies him. So, your perspective that he was leaving a message for Katie or her loved ones is as plausible as my perspective. Maybe more so. The more ideas about all this makes me hope the killer can be identified and arrested.

You, and Katie’s inner circle, must become exhausted facing all this and for over two years now. Makes me sad. a
I did not know Katie, but how she is described reminds me a lot of someone I know very well.
In regard to the carving of F A T, I seem to recall from the report that it wasn't totally clear that was what it was, but possible. I also wondered if the killer was not done carving when he/she was interrupted and just ran out of time. I have thought the killer was interrupted for a couple of reasons actually. Or FAT could have been an acronym for something. Who knows. I think it is an important clue but also one that could potentially easily be misinterpreted and lead off in the wrong direction.

I just go back and forth on this case as to whether this is personal (someone close to Katie) or a stranger attack. Some things point to one, but others to the other. It is a very strange case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StringTheory3333
Back