GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
People who work crazy hours, late nights, spend so much time outside at night, it doesn't seem "scary", because that is a "norm" for them.

I think that KJ had that routine, and did not see walking in the park late at night as particularly dangerous, especially with her dog. A false sense of security. Oddly, I felt much the same way when out with my dog, who was pretty much a goof.

In regard to the carving of F A T, I seem to recall from the report that it wasn't totally clear that was what it was, but possible. I also wondered if the killer was not done carving when he/she was interrupted and just ran out of time. I have thought the killer was interrupted for a couple of reasons actually. Or FAT could have been an acronym for something. Who knows. I think it is an important clue but also one that could potentially easily be misinterpreted and lead off in the wrong direction.

I just go back and forth on this case as to whether this is personal (someone close to Katie) or a stranger attack. Some things point to one, but others to the other. It is a very strange case.
I agree about the carving. Really hard to tell what it is from just what’s been reported.

It is a strange case in many ways. If the killer is someone close to Katie, why would he do it in such a public place taking the kind of risks he did?

What makes you think the killer was interrupted a couple of times? That’s interesting.

I agree about the carving. Really hard to tell what it is from just what’s been reported.

It is a strange case in many ways. If the killer is someone close to Katie, why would he do it in such a public place taking the kind of risks he did?

What makes you think the killer was interrupted a couple of times? That’s interesting.
Agree, if the killer was close to Katie, why do it in the park. If it someone close who planned this, they did it quite well and it was carried out without him/her being caught. That is frightening.

Moo .I run my dogs after work, late at nite. I have flashlight and phone, but I know the place well enough that I rarely use either, and there are no street lights anywhere near. Your eyes can adjust so stabby person could probably see ok just from city lites. Last nite was the first time in years I actually ran into a person there. I did not see them at first but when within 5 feet I could basically describe them no problem....moo

Last edited:
Yes, I take your point about the difficulty of carving, not only because of the dark but the time pressure. So, it makes it more difficult to know what it was. But to think it was done to further Katie’s trauma or her loved ones is totally gut wrenching.

The reason, IMO, that it was not personal to Katie is because he had not had a close, ongoing relationship such that it would make sense of the # of stabs, wounds, etc. Most of the studies of these kind of murders show that the killer has a pent up rage about whatever happened to him over and over again through out his life. Katie, jmo, would have represented who he wanted to kill or how he wanted to get revenge. The killer’s relief post murder comes in how aroused he is during the killing. Everything he does is focused on whatever gratifies him. So, your perspective that he was leaving a message for Katie or her loved ones is as plausible as my perspective. Maybe more so. The more ideas about all this makes me hope the killer can be identified and arrested.

You, and Katie’s inner circle, must become exhausted facing all this and for over two years now. Makes me sad. a
I did not know Katie, but how she is described reminds me a lot of someone I know very well.
I see what you’re saying about a killer taking out his rage on a stand-in. I don’t disagree.

Moo .I run my dogs after work, late at nite. I have flashlight and phone, but I know the place well enough that I rarely use either, and there are no street lights anywhere near. Your eyes can adjust so stabby person could probably see ok just from city lites. Last nite was the first time in years I actually ran into a person there. I did not see them at first but when within 5 feet I could basically describe them no problem....moo
It makes sense. I hope you stay safe.

People who work crazy hours, late nights, spend so much time outside at night, it doesn't seem "scary", because that is a "norm" for them.

I think that KJ had that routine, and did not see walking in the park late at night as particularly dangerous, especially with her dog. A false sense of security. Oddly, I felt much the same way when out with my dog, who was pretty much a goof.
And also it’s somewhat cooler than during the day.

Agree, if the killer was close to Katie, why do it in the park. If it someone close who planned this, they did it quite well and it was carried out without him/her being caught. That is frightening.
Even if there were a hundred people in the park at that time, which I believe was the case, the park is miles long. Not everyone there has evil intentions. But obviously there are enough of them Everywhere to make thoughtful personal choices. That’s why IMO, I believe it was planned not random; she’d been walking outside and inside the park for years.

But you have a point-he could have chosen anywhere. However, the park offers a multitude of dark and secluded spots with fewer observers to be concerned about although the killer didn’t seem at all worried about being seen. We’ll see, I certainly hope.

Last edited:
Katherine Janess lived in an apartment about one mile from Piedmont Park. Even though it's been said that Katie enjoyed walking in PP in the evening while walking Bowie, I cannot find one person say she often walked through PP at midnight. Evening hours are typically between 5pm - 9pm. Katie was already walking Bowie when they stopped at Emma's workplace. Katie was flying out of town the next day so why go to PP at midnight?

** Sensitive Content Warning **

"The Medical Examiner’s report released in November revealed that Janness was stabbed more than 50 times in the face, neck and torso. She also suffered blunt force injuries to her face, neck and extremities.

Her throat was slashed and the letters “F,” “A” and “T” were etched into her body, according to the report.

The Medical Examiner ruled Janness’ death a homicide and said she died of sharp force injuries that caused major damage to her blood vessels and organs."

Joseph Morgan stated the victim was alive when the etching occurred due to visible bleeding indicating a beating heart.

Even if there were a hundred people in the park at that time, which I believe was the case, the park is miles long. Not everyone there has evil intentions. But obviously there are enough of them Everywhere to make thoughtful personal choices. That’s why IMO, I believe it was planned not random; she’d been walking outside and inside the park for years.

But you have a point-he could have chosen anywhere. However, the park offers a multitude of dark and secluded spots with fewer observers to be concerned about although the killer didn’t seem at all worried about being seen. We’ll see, I certainly hope.
I agree that it was planned, well planned, and he knew the park and who was generally in it and in that particular area at that time of night. He had likely been planning it and fantasizing about it in every detail for years. Because of that he was willing to do it in a very high risk way, including Bowie. We will see; it may take more time than we’d like but we will absolutely see. Someone knows this retched monster and if they’d just put a couple of things together they would figure it out. It’s why I believe the APD needs a more aggressive plan to release to the public more information. That is how he’s going to be identified.

My criminal law professor, who had been a highly successful DA, had a very simple approach to apprehending criminals. A criminal can always be caught because they are stupid and at some point they will do that stupid thing you need to arrest them. This monster is no exception.

Katherine Janess lived in an apartment about one mile from Piedmont Park. Even though it's been said that Katie enjoyed walking in PP in the evening while walking Bowie, I cannot find one person say she often walked through PP at midnight. Evening hours are typically between 5pm - 9pm. Katie was already walking Bowie when they stopped at Emma's workplace. Katie was flying out of town the next day so why go to PP at midnight?

** Sensitive Content Warning **

"The Medical Examiner’s report released in November revealed that Janness was stabbed more than 50 times in the face, neck and torso. She also suffered blunt force injuries to her face, neck and extremities.

Her throat was slashed and the letters “F,” “A” and “T” were etched into her body, according to the report.

The Medical Examiner ruled Janness’ death a homicide and said she died of sharp force injuries that caused major damage to her blood vessels and organs."

Joseph Morgan stated the victim was alive when the etching occurred due to visible bleeding indicating a beating heart.
I have a couple of questions. How many people did you survey about how often Katie went to PP at midnight? If she didn’t go into PP at that hour, why do you think she went in when she was murdered? Finally, why include all that horrendous info from the autopsy? It didn’t really seem part of the subject of your post.

My criminal law professor, who had been a highly successful DA, had a very simple approach to apprehending criminals. A criminal can always be caught because they are stupid and at some point they will do something stupid and from that you’ll be able to arrest them. This monster is no exception. He will be brought to justice.

I am convinced that the only way KJ and Bowie get justice is for the APD to release more information publicly to generate more tips. I’m concerned if they don’t, the case will become a cold case. I don’t know what Emma or KJ’s mother is doing to keep pressure on the APD, but I think it would be effective if more of the Mid-Town community do it. I will find the number of the lead detective and post so people can call. I’ll also post a suggestion for what message to give them. Let’s do more than talk about KJ’s murder!

I am convinced that the only way KJ and Bowie get justice is for the APD to release more information publicly to generate more tips. I’m concerned if they don’t, the case will become a cold case. I don’t know what Emma or KJ’s mother is doing to keep pressure on the APD, but I think it would be effective if more of the Mid-Town community do it. I will find the number of the lead detective and post so people can call. I’ll also post a suggestion for what message to give them. Let’s do more than talk about KJ’s murder!
I have placed a call to Deputy Chief Hampton who is in charge of the Atlanta Criminal Division. I'm waiting for a return call to get the name and number of the lead detective on KJ's investigation. If anyone out there knows this information, could you provide it to me. Feel free to PM me. I hope many of you will join me in the effort get the status of the KJ's investigation and find out how the pubic might be able to help their effort. Justice for Katie and Bowie!

In regard to the carving of F A T, I seem to recall from the report that it wasn't totally clear that was what it was, but possible. I also wondered if the killer was not done carving when he/she was interrupted and just ran out of time. I have thought the killer was interrupted for a couple of reasons actually. Or FAT could have been an acronym for something. Who knows. I think it is an important clue but also one that could potentially easily be misinterpreted and lead off in the wrong direction.

I just go back and forth on this case as to whether this is personal (someone close to Katie) or a stranger attack. Some things point to one, but others to the other. It is a very strange case.
are there any graffiti tags with FAT in them? maybe too obvious...
I wonder if LE has DNA but no match

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste