GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay I thought of a comment. I think Katie was walking 'out' of the park when she was attacked. Because the perp must have been standing 'in front of her', for her to choose to run into the park. So I'm picturing it like she's walking out of the park, and he starts walking towards her. He probably watched her go into the park, so he was ready, and he like stepped out from behind a tree or something, before she could see that, and starts walking towards her. He says hello and bends down to pet her dog. And then attacks the dog. But she can't run towards him, to get out of the park, which of course would be the better choice, because he is standing in front of her, so she turns around, and runs back.

The only thing that comforts in this hideous crime is the knowledge that Bowie was with her til the end

Justice for Katie and Bowie is long overdue.
Tuesday was two months short of three years. For many of us, it must feel like yesterday. Katie was such a positive being who could have touched many more lives. And, I too, believe Bowie did his best because he loved her. They were a team.

So how does he get into and out of the park unnoticed?

It’s a hassle to park in that area. Definitely don’t see him heading to his parked car after killing KJ…blood etc. and heading home. Unless he’s a runner, parked a few miles away and ran to and from.
It's not a hastle to park near the park at that time of the night. Just saying. You can just about always find a spot right on 10th. I'm sure he didn't park on 10th. I'm just saying no issues parking late at night.

It's not a hastle to park near the park at that time of the night. Just saying. You can just about always find a spot right on 10th. I'm sure he didn't park on 10th. I'm just saying no issues parking late at night.
I don’t see him rolling up at that time of night. I see him arriving early, roaming that area on foot and/or lying in wait, in which case parking is a hassle.

I get what you mean though and thanks for pointing that out.

my opinion only.

I don’t see him rolling up at that time of night. I see him arriving early, roaming that area on foot and/or lying in wait, in which case parking is a hassle.

I get what you mean though and thanks for pointing that out.

my opinion only.
Well I think he would not arrive there until after dark. I think around that time of the year, I don't know I think I saw 8:45 p.m is sunset. That's still fairly late. So he probably could get a spot somewhere. My guess is, he has surveilled the area before, at that same time and day of week. To familiarize himself with that time period. So they should look at camera footage from the weeks before. In terms of getting the car bloody, he must have had some other clothes to put on. Probably had a knapsack with clothes, under a bush somewhere. Some wet wipes. Change shirt. I'm not sure what he would do with the pants, maybe he could put dark sweats over them. Get himself presentable enough, to walk through the park again.

Well I think he would not arrive there until after dark. I think around that time of the year, I don't know I think I saw 8:45 p.m is sunset. That's still fairly late. So he probably could get a spot somewhere. My guess is, he has surveilled the area before, at that same time and day of week. To familiarize himself with that time period. So they should look at camera footage from the weeks before. In terms of getting the car bloody, he must have had some other clothes to put on. Probably had a knapsack with clothes, under a bush somewhere. Some wet wipes. Change shirt. I'm not sure what he would do with the pants, maybe he could put dark sweats over them. Get himself presentable enough, to walk through the park again.
I was just thinking about this again. I think he must have had the backpack 'on him'. Because if he stored it under a bush somewhere, there's no guarantee he could get from the crime scene, back to the bush, without other people seeing him. So he must have had the backpack on him, when he committed the crime. Maybe he dropped it on the ground in the middle of it. But I believe he had it near him. If he was organized, he might have had a second backpack under a bush, just in case something happened to the first one.

Well too bad nobody is commenting on this thread now. I was looking some more at Google maps and reading some previous comments. And I now have some more thoughts.

So my first question is, did she go to this CA Gate on a regular basis to walk her dog? Because if she had a pattern, that would lend more to a pre-planned attack. If she didn't, that would lead more to random. I saw a comment from her girlfriend that implied like, that she did sometimes go there, but she also took different routes. So it sounds like she varied her route some. Plus we know she spontaneously stopped into her girlfriends restaurant that night, which is not directly from their house, so that is also a route variation. Plus we saw the camera, where she crossed the street, and she appeared to be alone. Probably that same camera would show if she was being followed too. And it doesn't look like that happened. So it looks like she went on a route that night, that no one knew about. So it would be kind of tough for somebody to pre-plan this.

My other thoughts, after looking at Google maps more, is people were wondering where she entered the park. Some were speculating that she would not be foolhardy enough to walk in the park at night. So I think she probably walked down 10th street for most of it, but then at some point near Gate, took one of little cut thrus to the walking path right next to the street, in the park. The path runs closely parallel to 10th Street, you can see 10th Street clearly. So probably someone would not feel that unsafe to cut in quickly, cuz they could just run over to 10th Street. Maybe the dog had to go to the bathroom one more time. So she cut over to the path near the CA Gate, let the dog pee near trees, and then she was about to walk 'out' of the park, at the gate. And then she got confronted near where the dog was found, and she ran back.

I also saw some comments and pics here where the attack likely occurred next to some tree, and yeah that is right on the main walking path there. That's pretty open. I wonder if the perp did the attack a little further back, and then moved the body closer to the path. Because otherwise, that's pretty crazy.

My other thought after looking at Google maps some more is, the perp probably cut through that big open meadow right behind the crime scene, about a block long. It was dark there is probably no people in those meadows, so nobody saw him. He crossed the beltline path there, onto one of those residential streets, where he was parked. And there are about four streets he can cross over Monroe without a traffic light, and probably no cameras. Then that leads through some residential blocks, up to Virginia Highlands. This is assuming he's an organized perp.

And here's one more thought, that might be a little more out there. So let's assume this could be a really organized perp. Could he have gotten access to Katie's phone at some point? A co-worker or an acquaintance. And did some kind of tech stuff on it. And then he could see where she was walking to, just like her girlfriend could? And maybe he followed her patterns for some time. He knew that she walked her dog every night. And that was the night he wanted to act. And he followed her, and had his opportunity. Because otherwise, without knowledge of where she was going exactly, it would be pretty hard to pre-plan. That would give the perp that knowledge.

Another thought I had is, people were speculating whether her girlfriend could be involved. Well logic tells you, since the girlfriend could treat track Katie's movements on the phone, then it would also make sense, that Katie could also track her girlfriends movements on the phone too. It wouldn't be equal unless it went both ways, right? So police could probably also track the girlfriend's movements too, on the phone. And that would make her less likely a suspect, if she wasn't near crime scene at the time.

Another thought I had is, people were speculating whether her girlfriend could be involved. Well logic tells you, since the girlfriend could treat track Katie's movements on the phone, then it would also make sense, that Katie could also track her girlfriends movements on the phone too. It wouldn't be equal unless it went both ways, right? So police could probably also track the girlfriend's movements too, on the phone. And that would make her less likely a suspect, if she wasn't near crime scene at the time.
I do not believe Emma was involved at all.

I do believe, though we who are on this thread know so many people do care and want this solved (facts-since they say so), there isn’t much to add now because I think it’s mostly all been said, and we are just waiting with hope. So many members have posted intelligent and creative thoughts about how all the pieces come together, and it is a possibility, I think, that the APD has had officers read these posts for ideas they may have overlooked or dismissed out of hand. I imagine it’s still quite supportive for her family and friends, however, who may read these comments, to feel that many people have and do continue to care. <3

I do not believe Emma was involved at all.

I do believe, though we who are on this thread know so many people do care and want this solved (facts-since they say so), there isn’t much to add now because I think it’s mostly all been said, and we are just waiting with hope. So many members have posted intelligent and creative thoughts about how all the pieces come together, and it is a possibility, I think, that the APD has had officers read these posts for ideas they may have overlooked or dismissed out of hand. I imagine it’s still quite supportive for her family and friends, however, who may read these comments, to feel that many people have and do continue to care. <3
Thank you, Concernedcitizen706.

I'm with you. I don't think he/she arrived this day during the day. I'm sure they scoped this spot out for some time and knew that this would be the perfect spot to lay and wait for their victim. I also don't think he/she targeted KJ. I think this individual became angry when they realized KJ was a lesbian because it ruined their SA fantasy. That's why her tattoo was mutilated the way it was. Furthermore, for anyone to say this wasn't a SA clearly didn't read the autopsy report. She was found with her pants pulled down and had quite a bit of mutilation to her private parts. Just because no semen was left behind doesn't mean it wasn't a SA.

<modsnip: Not victim friendly>

I will say, however, the Rachel Morin case reminds me a bit of KJ's case. Even though RM wasn't stabbed to death (not that we know of anyway) her killer found a lair, and laid in wait. Just like KJ. RM's killer is clearly mobile with 2 known incidents on East and West coasts. No conclusive DNA was found in KJs case. These cases just feel eerily similar to me. There is a reason the FBI was brought in immediately on both cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
The podcast True Crime Garage covered Katie's case within the last couple weeks. I have started listening to it but haven't finished yet.

Maybe that will bring visibility to her case to people who aren't aware of it yet.
Thank you for this.
Also, there is a pride-month breakfast (Pancakes for Pride) with APD at West Egg on Howell Mill Rd. this Wednesday 6/5 at 10a. If anyone local is able to attend, it might be a good opportunity to ask about Katie’s case and let APD know there’s a cadre of people who have not forgotten her and are still awaiting justice in her case.

The podcast True Crime Garage covered Katie's case within the last couple weeks. I have started listening to it but haven't finished yet.

Maybe that will bring visibility to her case to people who aren't aware of it yet.
This is two parts, essentially 1 hr each. They don’t talk about anything new or a variety of theories. They spend most of part 2 talking about whether Emma should be considered a suspect or not. This podcast illustrates why the reputable, higher profile podcasts aren’t doing follow podcasts. It’s because there is nothing new in the case released by the APD that would help anyone in the public to provide any tips. Personally, I found my time was not well spent listening. Very disappointing.

This is two parts, essentially 1 hr each. They don’t talk about anything new or a variety of theories. They spend most of part 2 talking about whether Emma should be considered a suspect or not. This podcast illustrates why the reputable, higher profile podcasts aren’t doing follow podcasts. It’s because there is nothing new in the case released by the APD that would help anyone in the public to provide any tips. Personally, I found my time was not well spent listening. Very disappointing.
Meanwhile it keeps Katie Janness’ name in the algorithms and that—in and of itself—has value.

I typically enjoy True Crime Garage podcasts. They had a tantalizing 3 part series on JonBenet about 5 months ago.

My take aways from these podcasts were that it was a vicious crime that almost wholly happened while Katie's heart was still beating. When coupled with the stabbing of Bowie, they opined if perhaps two perps were involved. I've never considered more than one flipped out psychopath to be involved in her death.

They predicted a minimum amount of time required to cause the numerous injuries to be appx 3 minutes. That seems like not enough time to me. This victim was injured front and back.

Who would know to pull her pants down to expose the tattoo on her lower back so it could be destroyed? A depraved heart was required to inflict this kind of long-suffering pain onto Katie.

My recollection is that Emma begged the police to state publicly that she was not a suspect because she was in fear. The police refused to publicly clear Emma.

It's fair to consider the last person known to see the victim. The assumed timeline is tight. Stranger homicide is rare. We are far more likely to be killed by someone we know.
Department of Criminology
The Truth About Stranger Homicide, and Who's Really at Risk

Almost 9000 views are on the 2 videos so I think that's decent exposure. I don't know who killed this sweet person and her dog but I hope APD has some good leads.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back