Found Deceased GA - Kelly Nash, 25, Buford, 5 Jan 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I started thinking about something concerning the Kelly Nash case. I really do not think the girlfriend has anything to do with it because of the guy walking down the side of the road, but how do you determine if it is a suicide or come closer to that conclusion when you are a Websleuths detective? If you wanted to determine whether this case is a suicide or a possible murder, there is actually a very easy way to do that with two questions: Where did police find the gun? Did they find a gun?

It just seems like if a guy walks down the side of the road and stands in waist deep water or next to a pier and shoots himself the gun should fall next to him. So if the gun was found in water over 6 feet deep more than a few feet from a pier or the shoreline I would suspect homicide. The reason for the distance is because there is always the possibility someone shot him then threw the gun into the water which would be a big mistake, it not being found next to where the victim possibly shot himself. For example if the gun is in 7 feet of water with no pier nearby I would think that is strange.

He has to be in an area where he can raise the gun and shoot himself, but the gun be close by.

I just started wondering if there has been any official determination of suicide? Maybe that is why? So did police recover the gun?

No gun has ever been found associated with the case. :moo:

Just to be clear, here is what we know:

Kelly "suffered a gunshot wound and drowned." Police originally said they did not suspect foul play, but later declined comment on their suspicions. Manner of death (suicide, homicide, accident) has not been released.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...toms-dead-lake-gunshot-wound-month-later.html

A 9mm handgun was originally reported missing from the home. It was then reported the 9mm may have been sold prior to Kelly's disappearance. The story then changed back to the firearm being missing from the home. The gun has not been recovered.

Is this correct? Is there anything else official? I actually thought Kelly's death had been ruled a suicide (poor memory) so I thought I'd look for official releases.

I appreciate local details and speculation, as well. Thanks to the posters updating with local info :)

Just to be clear, here is what we know:

Kelly "suffered a gunshot wound and drowned." Police originally said they did not suspect foul play, but later declined comment on their suspicions. Manner of death (suicide, homicide, accident) has not been released.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...toms-dead-lake-gunshot-wound-month-later.html

A 9mm handgun was originally reported missing from the home. It was then reported the 9mm may have been sold prior to Kelly's disappearance. The story then changed back to the firearm being missing from the home. The gun has not been recovered.

Is this correct? Is there anything else official? I actually thought Kelly's death had been ruled a suicide (poor memory) so I thought I'd look for official releases.

I appreciate local details and speculation, as well. Thanks to the posters updating with local info :)

There has to be a gun either near the shoreline in water 6 ft or less or in a small radius around a pier. People do not shoot themselves and then the gun disappears. I tend to think police must have found the gun because how else could they come to a conclusion of suicide without finding it?

If we're dealing with suicide here, perhaps he felt compelled to hide his actions, thus sitting on the edge of the pier and doing so that way, leaving the body and perhaps even the gun to fall into the water.

If it's homicide, well there's definitely a lot of possibilities, too.

There has to be a gun either near the shoreline in water 6 ft or less or in a small radius around a pier. People do not shoot themselves and then the gun disappears. I tend to think police must have found the gun because how else could they come to a conclusion of suicide without finding it?

Where did police come to the conclusion of suicide? That's the confusion I was trying to clear up in my post--no manner of death has been released and no gun has been found.

Or am I missing something?

After Kelly Nash's body was found were there searchers out at the lake looking for the gun?

One unique aspect of this case is time. How long does it take to walk from the gas station to Kelly's home? Since the surveillance video from the gas station has someone passing there walking fast at 4:30 am. it made me think it did not take that long. He last called his girlfriend at what time?

To detectives working the case the answers are probably very easy. To an amateur watching it on tv. I thought there was a lot of time missing between the last phone call and when he might have been spotted on surveillance video at the gas station. None of us are real life detectives so if there are answers to my questions, please let me know what they are.

After Kelly Nash's body was found were there searchers out at the lake looking for the gun?

One unique aspect of this case is time. How long does it take to walk from the gas station to Kelly's home? Since the surveillance video from the gas station has someone passing there walking fast at 4:30 am. it made me think it did not take that long. He last called his girlfriend at what time?

To detectives working the case the answers are probably very easy. To an amateur watching it on tv. I thought there was a lot of time missing between the last phone call and when he might have been spotted on surveillance video at the gas station. None of us are real life detectives so if there are answers to my questions, please let me know what they are.

Local here. I would guess about 10 minutes from house to the gas station although I have not mapped it in Nor walked it myself just driven that route.

For someone walking fast it would be quicker.

Fwiw

Hi Everyone!
I live a couple miles from where Kelly Nash lived and died. I'm wondering if the reason why the autopsy report hasn't come out yet is because they're trying to figure out if his death as some connection with Samuel Waters. I went over there today and literally Kelly's dad lives across the street from where they a family lives they think might have something to do with Samuel Waters disaperance. So crazy

Hi Everyone!
I live a couple miles from where Kelly Nash lived and died. I'm wondering if the reason why the autopsy report hasn't come out yet is because they're trying to figure out if his death as some connection with Samuel Waters. I went over there today and literally Kelly's dad lives across the street from where they a family lives they think might have something to do with Samuel Waters disaperance. So crazy

Yes it is 5 - 7 doors down across the street.

Using talk to text with lots of grammar errors !

Another body found in the lake a few days ago. So much tragedy surrounding Lake Lanier. Sure wish there was news about Kelly.

Another body found in the lake a few days ago. So much tragedy surrounding Lake Lanier. Sure wish there was news about Kelly.

Thanks for posting that. Here's a link ID'ing the body as Michael Gilmer:

http://www.forsythnews.com/m/section/1/article/28304/

LE hasn't linked his case to Kelly's or Samuel's. Cause of death has not been released.

Maps never post correctly from my phone, but here is a link and a rough screenshot (using Sunrise Cove, where Michael was found, and Shadburn Rd., where Kelly was found/Samuel was searched for).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443396835.979325.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/p9o7rb2

Say, ATL; do you anticipate that we, the nosey parkers, will ever hear anything more about Kelly? Or is this case closed with only family privy to findings?

:moo: the case is not closed. As I stated up thread, I know someone that was interviewed this summer about something at his place atthelake.

Hopefully something will happen with the case.

When it does come to the mainstream media again I will be sure to chime in and give more background on what questions were asked, but right now is not the time as the case is still under investigation and no :websleuther: here wants to interfere with that. :moo: .

And yes I am NOT beyond the point of contacting somebody from the media to give them a heads up if it is appropriate. ;)

Until then I will keep bumping the thread to keep interest up for justice for Kelly...

ATL

This episode of Disappeared, Gone in Georgia, is probably one of the saddest and strangest I have seen. I keep wondering if police have determined whether it was a suicide or murder. Either way, you wonder how it happened. It just goes to show that trying to determine what the human mind thinks and does can be very difficult sometimes.

I cannot even think of how I would approach this case. The one clue I wondered about was the open door down in the garage of the house. Since the door was left open a ways, it must have gotten very cold in the garage and since that is connected to the upstairs of the house, it made me wonder how cold it got in the house that morning?

The case of Kelly Nash is a very strange case because of the circumstances surrounding it.

It is an unusual series of events and certainly a lot of things could have happened - I do still lean to suicide. I just can't seem to rationalize foul play here.

He was a gun owner, if this is some botched home invasion or bump in the night type scenario...why were there no shots fired? Kelly was armed. I doubt he would simply give up faced with possibly armed assailants. Even so, why would his gun be gone? If some "bad guys" managed to get to him before he fetched his firearm, same question - why is his pistol gone?

No to mention he had a dog, at least with any dog I've owned, any sort of unusual commotion will set off some persistent barking...usually the kind that will wake any other occupants of the home.

Now I certainly would entertain the idea he was perhaps hiding something in his life, maybe some illegal activities and in turn, got in over his head.

Maybe Kelly snuck out that night, took his gun for protection and was set up or ambushed in some way. It didn't appear his phone records suggested this, but smart folks have a burner phone if they are hiding something. But still, he seems like a stand up guy and this would be a bit of a stretch.

A few things that stuck out to me on the episode of Disappeared - First, his Dad seems quite successful and in many cases a successful Dad pressures his Son to be successful himself, in extreme ways at times. Second, and this is IMO, his girlfriend seemed a tad superficial and possibly even high maintenance, possibly leading to a financial burden on Kelly, who himself came from a well to do family but just now spreading his wings and earning his own income. Certainly that's a few potentially stressful things weighing on him...

Also, the tone of the family after his body was recovered was a bit strange to me. Their search for him was so tenacious, but once the body was found, they simply wanted privacy...not additional information as to what happened to Kelly. This is a family who put up billboards. One has to wonder: if they didn't seek any further info from the public, it kind of leads you to think they already know what happened, IMO.

It is an unusual series of events and certainly a lot of things could have happened - I do still lean to suicide. I just can't seem to rationalize foul play here.

He was a gun owner, if this is some botched home invasion or bump in the night type scenario...why were there no shots fired? Kelly was armed. I doubt he would simply give up faced with possibly armed assailants. Even so, why would his gun be gone? If some "bad guys" managed to get to him before he fetched his firearm, same question - why is his pistol gone?

No to mention he had a dog, at least with any dog I've owned, any sort of unusual commotion will set off some persistent barking...usually the kind that will wake any other occupants of the home.

Now I certainly would entertain the idea he was perhaps hiding something in his life, maybe some illegal activities and in turn, got in over his head.

Maybe Kelly snuck out that night, took his gun for protection and was set up or ambushed in some way. It didn't appear his phone records suggested this, but smart folks have a burner phone if they are hiding something. But still, he seems like a stand up guy and this would be a bit of a stretch.

A few things that stuck out to me on the episode of Disappeared - First, his Dad seems quite successful and in many cases a successful Dad pressures his Son to be successful himself, in extreme ways at times. Second, and this is IMO, his girlfriend seemed a tad superficial and possibly even high maintenance, possibly leading to a financial burden on Kelly, who himself came from a well to do family but just now spreading his wings and earning his own income. Certainly that's a few potentially stressful things weighing on him...

Also, the tone of the family after his body was recovered was a bit strange to me. Their search for him was so tenacious, but once the body was found, they simply wanted privacy...not additional information as to what happened to Kelly. This is a family who put up billboards. One has to wonder: if they didn't seek any further info from the public, it kind of leads you to think they already know what happened, IMO.

I tend to agree with you, especially the last sentence. You have to wonder what the police strategy here is if it is not a suicide, just let the case fade while it is still fresh in people's minds?

This is one example of why it can be so difficult to be a Websleuth. The family or police probably have information that would easily lead to conclusions for the rest of us. Did they find the gun? What angle did the bullet enter his head? I read on here he was shot.

What a person has or does not have really does not matter when it comes to suicide. Celebrities have things, but kill themselves. So analyzing the human mind in this instance is the unique part of this case. For example, the last phone call Kelly made was to his girlfriend and if you were trying to leave the house undetected I thought that was strange. Maybe he knew she was asleep and would not pick up?

I guess my problem is that I cannot believe a person would murder themselves, but it happens. While the police would be checking the phones and looking for Kelly, I would be checking the thermostat readings and who gets the morning newspaper. I guess we are all unique when it comes to how we think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxwell'sSilverHammer
Back