GA - Kendrick “KJ” Johnson, found dead in 2013, 3rd autopsy ‘non-accidental’ damage *Probe in 2021*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another example of poor legal work in this case. This one is from 2017.

Judge Dismisses Lawsuit In Ga. Teen’s Gym-Mat Death
News outlets report that U.S. District Court Judge W. Louis Sands filed an order Tuesday saying the parents of 17-year-old Kendrick Johnson were negligent in filing paperwork to the court and in filing for extensions.

Judge Dismisses Lawsuit In Ga. Teen's Gym-Mat Death | 90.1 FM WABE

The Tape (More)
@imstilla.grandma bbm sbm Thx for your post & link.

“The person on the tape must be identified, Ii [sic] it is a
hoax, with the scammer who sold it, we need to know why those words exist on that tape,” Coleman said."

I'd appreciate help in understanding the logic of ^ stmt.
If the tape is a hoax, scam, or somebody's idea of a prank, then seems obvious why those words were recorded on the tape and why the tape eventually reached K.J.'s Mother. Money & perhaps eventual publicity.
Something else? What am I missing?

Your bolded words made me think twice. Looking at them- I get the feeling there is something on the tape that no one but the police or the killer know. Evidence not released to the public. Investigators have special files... I think it’s real. I’m going to believe there is a valid confession until I’m proven wrong.

Your bolded words made me think twice. Looking at them- I get the feeling there is something on the tape that no one but the police or the killer know. Evidence not released to the public. Investigators have special files...
The sheriff has publicly stated they are investigating and he implied it could be a hoax:

Kendrick Johnson murder case: Sheriff receives possible audio confession

"The sheriff said investigators are working to verify the recording and how the individual received the information in order to "follow the chain of custody.

"If it's a hoax, it's a very, very cruel hoax to do to Mrs. Johnson," he said."

The sheriff has publicly stated they are investigating and he implied it could be a hoax:

"The sheriff said investigators are working to verify the recording and how the individual received the information in order to "follow the chain of custody.

The fact that the Johnson's paid money to get this recording is very troubling to me. It certainly puts a cloud over its validity IMO.

Charging Fam $ for 'Evidence'
In my opinion charging the parents of a dead child $1000 for alleged evidence is just plain wrong.
@RANCH Yes, it may be or is plain wrong for a person to ask fam of dead child to pay $ for a "confession" tape recording. Your opinion, my opinion, and many others.

But if a person fabricates a tape and claims as genuine confession, imo it's not a giant leap for a person like that to charge fam $ for it.

Not irrevocably concluding tape was a scam, just responding to your point about charging for 'evidence' which we/gen public do not know (yet) to be authentic. my2ct.

I hope. hope. hope. it’s not a hoax. I read of this and quickly found several websites, most older, dedicated to KJ. I’m a bit confused why they are announcing the reopening of the case so publicly. To appease the parents?

I hope. hope. hope. it’s not a hoax. I read of this and quickly found several websites, most older, dedicated to KJ. I’m a bit confused why they are announcing the reopening of the case so publicly. To appease the parents?
The sheriff requested the federal case file a couple years ago and he finally got them. That's why the case was reopened.

I think it is a hoax OR it refers to something other than a murder. It could be anything.

FWIW I think the LCSD, GBI, FBI, NAACP and all the other investigative agencies and organizations got this one right, that Kendrick died in a tragic accident. Nobody can walk into a high school gym, murder a kid, and not leave one thread of evidence. There's just no evidence.

Charging Fam $ for 'Evidence'
@RANCH Yes, it may be or is plain wrong for a person to ask fam of dead child to pay $ for a "confession" tape recording. Your opinion, my opinion, and many others.

But if a person fabricates a tape and claims as genuine confession, imo it's not a giant leap for a person like that to charge fam $ for it.

Not irrevocably concluding tape was a scam, just responding to your point about charging for 'evidence' which we/gen public do not know (yet) to be authentic. my2ct.
I agree. If the person with the recording wanted to do the right thing and bring the "truth" out which would help the parents and society as a whole, I would expect that they would hand it over free of charge.

That didn't happen here.

Why Not Release "Confession" Recording?
Your bolded words made me think twice. Looking at them- I get the feeling there is something on the tape that no one but the police or the killer know. Evidence not released to the public. Investigators have special files... I think it’s real. I’m going to believe there is a valid confession until I’m proven wrong.
@imstilla.grandma bbm Yes, agreeing, it's possible recording contains info known only to LE & perp(s) if there was a crime. Or known to any witness(es), whether death was accident or homicide.

If recording contains "inside info" is that a reason for LE to release publicly release it?

Respectfully I do not see non-release as significant. It's verrry common before an arrest that LE not release purported 'evidence' certainly not all of it.

Sheriff said case is reopened, so if they maintain confidentiality of investigatory materials until an arrest, imo that they are simply following procedure/protocol. my2ct, could be wrong.

Why Not CrimeStoppers?
I agree. If the person with the recording wanted to do the right thing and bring the "truth" out which would help the parents and society as a whole, I would expect that they would hand it over free of charge. That didn't happen here.
@RANCH Glad you pointed this out.
I wonder: was the person who sold recording to fam the one who recorded the confession?

Also why would person offer a legit* recording to fam? May think providing to LE would allow them to deep-six it?
I recall reading about CrimeStoppers-type organizations offering $$$ awards** made for info about K.J.'s death, altho I do not know if awards were still open at time of 'sale' whenever that was. Those entities often allow a tipster to remain anonymous, so a person wanting to remain anonymous (fearing retribution?) can do so.

Seems a person w legit recording contacting CrimeStoppers** could expect to receive $1000 plus.
But a person who knows his recording is bogus is probably hesitant to try the CrimeStoppers route. my2ct

Seems a Good Samaritan would provide w no payment. Ideally, a ;)So-So Samaritan would too.;)

* Legit = meaning person who actually recorded it thought the speaker made a truthful confession (not deliberately joking around, not egged on by his buddies like soc media 'pranks' or 'social experiments' audio-only, no vid.
** Award $ amt's & terms vary: can be for info helpful to LE, or info leading to arrest, or resulting in conviction.
Depending on terms, payment is likely not made immediately. So could be looong wait for the $.

Why Not CrimeStoppers?
@RANCH Glad you pointed this out.
I wonder: was the person who sold recording to fam the one who recorded the confession?

Also why would person offer a legit* recording to fam? May think providing to LE would allow them to deep-six it?
I recall reading about CrimeStoppers-type organizations offering $$$ awards** made for info about K.J.'s death, altho I do not know if awards were still open at time of 'sale' whenever that was. Those entities often allow a tipster to remain anonymous, so a person wanting to remain anonymous (fearing retribution?) can do so.

Seems a person w legit recording contacting CrimeStoppers** could expect to receive $1000 plus.
But a person who knows his recording is bogus is probably hesitant to try the CrimeStoppers route. my2ct

Seems a Good Samaritan would provide w no payment. Ideally, a ;)So-So Samaritan would too.;)

* Legit = meaning person who actually recorded it thought the speaker made a truthful confession (not deliberately joking around, not egged on by his buddies like soc media 'pranks' or 'social experiments' audio-only, no vid.
** Award $ amt's & terms vary: can be for info helpful to LE, or info leading to arrest, or resulting in conviction.
Depending on terms, payment is likely not made immediately. So could be looong wait for the $.
Yep. Good questions.

The only reward that I could find in this case was from early on in 2013. $10,000 that was only good for 90 days. It expired with no results.

Reward for information in Kendrick Johnson case taken back

Reward for information in Kendrick Johnson case taken back

"Latest" (2018) Autopsy?
@watcher9 Thanks for this link. I know the designation "third" autopsy is not your wording, but MSM's.
My main Q: Is the only change Dr. A made to his latest report from his earlier report -- adding "non-accidental."

Sequence of events, as I understand:
Jan. 2013. GBI St. employee (Iirc, asst med examiner?) conducted Autopsy #1, a couple days after death,
Then issued official Report (#1), CoD = "accidental positional asphyxia."

June 2013. K.J.'s parents arranged for exhumation, so Dr. Anderson performed private Autopsy # 2.
He issued Report (#2), CoD = per "blunt force trauma." A link to full autopsy report #2, anyone, pls?

Page 1 of linked image (Report #3)
DATE/EXAM 06/15/13
DATE/REPORT 08/13/15 (ADDENDUM 09/21/18)

"...died from non-accidental blunt force trauma between his neck and abdomen, the third autopsy concludes." bbm Third autopsy claims foul play in Valdosta gym mat death case

Re ^ does anyone know -----
Q: Was Report #3 issued after a full blown autopsy?
Q: Or only after Excising /removing tissues & bodily fluids? Examining/testing?
Q: Then adding to/amending his Report #2?
Without comparing Dr. Anderson's reports line by line, I'm not sure what was added or amended.

Last edited:
"Latest" (2018) Autopsy?
@watcher9 Thanks for this link. I know the designation "third" autopsy is not your wording, but MSM's.
My main Q: Is the only change Dr. A made to his latest report from his earlier report -- adding "non-accidental."

Jan. 2013. GBI St. employee (Iirc, asst med examiner?) conducted Autopsy #1, a couple days after death,

June 2013. K.J.'s parents arranged for exhumation, so Dr. Anderson performed private Autopsy # 2.
He issued Report (#2), CoD = per "blunt force trauma." A link to full autopsy report #2, anyone, pls?

DATE/EXAM 06/15/13

"...died from non-accidental blunt force trauma between his neck and abdomen, the third autopsy concludes." bbm Third autopsy claims foul play in Valdosta gym mat death case

Q: Then adding to/amending his Report #2?
Without comparing Dr. Anderson's reports line by line, I'm not sure what was added or amended.

I’m without my books and unable to do much research on my phone as I’m snuggled next to a child right now, so forgive me. How do you distinguish between positional asphyxia and externally inflicted trauma? That is, could the trauma here have been caused by entry into the mat and/or attempts to extricate himself? How would we tell the difference?

I’m without my books and unable to do much research on my phone as I’m snuggled next to a child right now, so forgive me. How do you distinguish between positional asphyxia and externally inflicted trauma? That is, could the trauma here have been caused by entry into the mat and/or attempts to extricate himself? How would we tell the difference?
The mechanisms are completely different. One is basically death by suffocation and the other is a beating.

KJ's asphyxia would have been indicted by petechia, visceral congestion and other changes. A big one is the nature of the livor mortis evident: skin was already sloughing off where the blood had pooled in his head and neck area. There was vomit and blood under him in the mat, also indicative of asphyxia.

The evidence of blunt force trauma is really small, a 1" or so contusion on the neck/jaw area. High school kids don't die from a small contusion like that, it would require a severe beating.

All my own opinion from what I've read on the AR.

Autopsy Report?
@gator
Thanks for your response.
At first, quick glance, the Report in your link looks like the same as Report as in my link.
Maybe my brain is not engaging properly this evening, so I'll check back tomorrow. Thanks again.

That’s because there was no 3rd autopsy report. It is just an addendum to the second autopsy. I think it’s important to note that Dr. Anderson used the supposed confession about KJ being beat with a 45 lb weight to make his conclusions in the 3rd autopsy. An injury to the thorax was not noted in the GBI or Anderson’s original autopsy. It’s easiest to find the differences looking at the autopsy reports side by side.

Second Autopsy Report: http://valdosta.sgaonline.com/2010vdt/pdfs/KJohnson_second_autopsy.pdf

Third Autopsy Report (note, it is autopsy 2 with addendums): https://static.allongeorgia.com/wp-.../393322920-Kendrick-Johnson-Third-Autopsy.pdf

You learn a lot more about Dr. Anderson’s findings through his media interviews than you do from his autopsy reports. The fact that he has claimed that it was “no more than a single blow” and “a single pressure application” in the media shows even he doesn’t believe KJ was beat to death. His loose lips with the media is probably why the Johnson’s lawyers have never called him to testify under oath.

"Latest" (2018) Autopsy?

DATE/EXAM 06/15/13

No, the third report was not after a full blown autopsy.

Yes, I believe he excised tissue in the right mandible and right thorax area during the second autopsy done by him.

Q:
Then adding to/amending his Report #2?
Please see my above post. I linked the 2nd and 3rd autopsy reports so you can compare them side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solalla