GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If no one puts in a request for the search warrants thru the FOIA then I don't think they'd be released voluntarily.. KWIM?

Hopefully at least one of these news agencies has an on the ball investigative reporter.. Because that's exactly what it will take for them to be released..

Many law schools do, but Mercer does not enforce any type of 'professionalism' rules.

I think you're confusing a dress code with professionalism. Mercer's law curriculum stresses ethics and professionalism.

Not sure about games, but from a friend of mine who is related to someone that went to school at Mercer, and who briefly knew SM, he liked Medieval armor and would sometimes wear chain-mail to class. That certainly doesn't make him guilty of anything, however. I love Medieval stuff too.... and I have a friend who makes some awesome chainmail. I don't think I would wear it to class when I was in college, however. That sort of stuck me as odd. I am more familiar with medical students than law students. In medical school, there isn't exactly a dress code per say, but there is a clear understanding that the students will look "professional" at all times. Is there any similar standard in law school???
We learned about the chainmail very early on. It's come from a number of different sources, and now you, Reannan. I find it very odd that he would wear it to school. That's a sign of someone who is insecure and doesn't fit in. So he wears the chainmail to make a statement, as if to say, "Yes, I'm different. I'm not like the rest of you. I don't want to be like the rest of you because I'm better than you. I know and understand things that you can't." Maybe I'm wrong, but that's often the case with individuals who deliberately set themselves apart from their peers. Shows a lack of maturity, too, because it's adolescent behavior. :twocents:

I don't think it necessarily means he thought he was better, but I do believe it is a sign of insecurity and immaturity. A lot of kids feel like they are outsiders and instead of trying to fit in and fail, they choose to be different and be ignored. Then they don't have to feel like the failure themselves. They can always say they were shunned because of how they dressed or looked. I have also found a lot of those kids tend to be some of the brightest and most interesting if you take the time to talk to them. Not all. But a lot of them. Just as I have seen some of those dressed nice and neat be the evilest, sickest, and just plain meanest people I have ever met. Clothes don't really make the man or woman.

I was talking to a doctor friend, who said his first impressions from the interview and rumors of SMd was that he might be a Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

I think you're confusing a dress code with professionalism. Mercer's law curriculum stresses ethics and professionalism.

Thanks. Generally stated, Mercer does not require that its students look like professionals while on campus--chainmail, pajamas, and anything else is acceptable attire.

I was talking to a doctor friend, who said his first impressions from the interview and rumors of SMd was that he might be a Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

PDUBBY has me thinking about Mercer policies now, and I am reminded that the law school does not offer counseling or psychological services to students at the law school. If I recall, Mercer students made a strong push for such services after a student died ostensibly after self medicating due to stress and anxiety (http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=110432&catid=228). The school administration created some convoluted system where students could get a session at the undergrad campus and could then get a referral to a paid counselor-- I don't fully understand how it works.

IF SM is the killer and does suffer from some sort of illness (or even if he doesn't), I cannot help but wonder whether having counseling available to him on campus would have helped him not reach whatever breaking point he reached.

Also, I acknowledge that he would not be able to access those services in July, but if he had been able to see someone throughout his law school career, he wouldn't be as close to his breaking point or he would know that he should seek outside counseling.

HP brings to mind something else along those same lines of mental health and counseling being available.. The issue of medical Insurance.. These students are 25-27yoa, we're not talking 20-22yoa as most undergraduate students are when nearing graduation.. At 25-27yoa the issue of them not being covered under an insurance policy at all would be a concern.. Not sure if there are some type of exceptions but I know for myself and my sister(who did continue with graduate school)at the age of 23 we were no longer able to be on our parents insurance even tho we were still college full time students.. I could see this as a problem for many students especially students that suffer from any mental Illness and then not to be covered by insurance along with the cost of seeking help even just bi weekly or monthly sessions can be extremely costly and unaffordable to many who may desperately be in need..

Just a thought since we're on that subject..

I don't think it necessarily means he thought he was better, but I do believe it is a sign of insecurity and immaturity. A lot of kids feel like they are outsiders and instead of trying to fit in and fail, they choose to be different and be ignored. Then they don't have to feel like the failure themselves. They can always say they were shunned because of how they dressed or looked. I have also found a lot of those kids tend to be some of the brightest and most interesting if you take the time to talk to them. Not all. But a lot of them. Just as I have seen some of those dressed nice and neat be the evilest, sickest, and just plain meanest people I have ever met. Clothes don't really make the man or woman.

PsychoMom,

I don't have the extent of psych background that you do, but I've known people who dress and act differently even when it elicits negative reactions ... Wouldn't you agree that those people are often seeking attention? The saying goes, "negative attention is better than no attention." For some people, defying social norms by dressing/behaving differently may be harmless, but for others it can cross the line into anti-social behavior where the person, as you suggest, claims persecution and begins to feel hostility toward others. Usually, those people do feel insignificant and are easily offended.

SM may have felt he had to compete for attention. His parents adopted his young niece and nephew, who would've been the focus of his parents' attention, at a time when SM was attaining great things in his life and, perhaps, he didn't feel his achievements were sufficiently appreciated by those close to him. That could explain why he wanted to look different - to stand out to others. Of course, that doesn't mean his thirst for attention crossed into the realm of anti-social behavior. It's possible, though, that LG's killer (whether or not SM) felt slighted by LG and even by their classmates, and so was desperate for recognition. Just a thought.

I also heard a RUMOR that a student came forward to report that the week before Lauren's disappearance, an unknown man came to the law school and asked where Lauren Giddings lived. That student, not thinking anything of it and not being alarmed apparently told the man where she lived. Again, I don't know the validity of this info or if after investigation, the police discovered it was harmless.

<snipped for focus>
Surely interesting, if true -- hadn't heard this rumor before. Thanks for posting it.

I saw that earlier too! Definitely will be interesting where the information contained on the computers leads...

I know we are all still waiting to see what, if any, answers will come from the forensic evidence sent to the FBI. Computers can yield just as many answers. They can definitely provide insight into habits and personal interests, and also maybe a how or why this happened. (or honestly, at this point, even a timeline as to when...say Lauren had computer activity later than Saturday evening).

I do hope that we get some answers soon.

PsychoMom,

I don't have the extent of psych background that you do, but I've known people who dress and act differently even when it elicits negative reactions ... Wouldn't you agree that those people are often seeking attention? The saying goes, "negative attention is better than no attention." For some people, defying social norms by dressing/behaving differently may be harmless, but for others it can cross the line into anti-social behavior where the person, as you suggest, claims persecution and begins to feel hostility toward others. Usually, those people do feel insignificant and are easily offended.

SM may have felt he had to compete for attention. His parents adopted his young niece and nephew, who would've been the focus of his parents' attention, at a time when SM was attaining great things in his life and, perhaps, he didn't feel his achievements were sufficiently appreciated by those close to him. That could explain why he wanted to look different - to stand out to others. Of course, that doesn't mean his thirst for attention crossed into the realm of anti-social behavior. It's possible, though, that LG's killer (whether or not SM) felt slighted by LG and even by their classmates, and so was desperate for recognition. Just a thought.

Most of them dress that way to be ignored more than to be noticed. There are always people on both extremes, like any bell curve. As for the clothing leading into antisocial behavior, not necessarily. Look at the well known serial killers. Most of them fit the perfectly average norm in appearance. The reason being is that antisocial behavior usually means you do what you have to do to reach the goals you want to reach. Dressing differently would hamper reaching your goals because it would make people think of you as 'Not Perfect.' They act their way through life with every behavior simply a means to an end. And willing to get rid of anything that blocks that goal.

Now, I will have to say, those antisocial people who do not have the intelligence to move ahead in life can tend to become violent criminals in their every day life. People don't matter, so if they have to kill to get what they want, they can do it. Those are the ones who lean towards violent home invasions, or robbing convenience stores and killing the witnesses, etc.

Like I stated earlier, almost all of these antisocial types will have a history. People will have stories about their vicious behaviors when younger. Many will have childhood criminal records for various crimes from assault, to animal cruelty, to arson. Some will have lesser offenses. Many will manage to avoid criminal charges (the smarter ones) because they are incredibly charming. They are the ones that will smile to your face and be voted Most Likely to Succeed and Most Popular, yet they have a rep for 'convincing' their dates to have sex whether they want to or not if they are male, or 'accidentally' pushing the head cheerleader down the stairs and having to take her place if female. They are not always criminals. Only if it suits their needs will most of them cross over into criminal behavior.

We all know the type. We probably know a few people that fit into that category. Sadly, they do tend to become successful because they crush the competition, sometimes literally. Look at your boss. He or she may be one. I know I have had a few that were.

PsychoMom,

I have several visible tattoos, my sig quote is tattooed down my arm like a [small] snake, a nose ring...I did none of that in an attempt to compensate for not fitting in or something, I was "popular" for whatever reason. Some people just really adhere to certain principles, many guys adhere to the long hair code and of course there are a lot of forms of self-expression that have zilch to do with a genuinely histrionic impulse for attention seeking.
McDaniel was a gamer, he may like to imitate that with which he surrounds himself, the subculture is like that.

But, the phrase was "Master Key" wasn't it? If that is the wording used to describe the key, I would have to assume that is exactly what they meant. Not a bump key or anything else.

I think that in press releases cops/media use the most simple and familiar term available instead of the most accurate, many people don't know what a bump key is, hell some people don't know how it's different from a masterkey.

For what it's worth, the local hash house harriers (of which Lauren was a member) have been known to run in the sewers under the city. I don't know if that's connected to this, but thought I'd mention it.

WHAT???
Ok I am from a little place called Key West right next to Cuba and we are below sea level basically so I don't know much about real sewers but how is this possible?

When I heard that Lauren had worked for the public defender's office, I too wondered about anyone she would have come in contact with that might have developed an unhealthy admiration of her.

As for who the other persons of interest may be:
I wouldn't be surprised if her boyfriend (or ex-boyfriend as reported by some) was still being examined. I remember someone in her family had posted a comment on one of the news sites that this guy had accompanied her to her sister's wedding only the previous weekend before her disappearance. It's not really clear the timeframe that he was in California. However, even if his alibi checks out, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could still be involved in her death....if you catch my drift....

I also heard a RUMOR that a student came forward to report that the week before Lauren's disappearance, an unknown man came to the law school and asked where Lauren Giddings lived. That student, not thinking anything of it and not being alarmed apparently told the man where she lived. Again, I don't know the validity of this info or if after investigation, the police discovered it was harmless.

Your last point coincides with a tip I received about someone who wanted to know where she lived because he liked watching her run. Just a rumor but who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli