GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree... size wise, Macon is fairly large, but publicity wise, this is not something Chief Burns looks comfortable with. He appears as if he just wishes the whole "media" portion of this case would go away so the mpd could concentrate on just the case itself. I think the only reason for the presser today was because of the rumors going around...they know the citizens are about to explode.... just waiting with no new information. However, this made me feel MORE like there IS a 'serial killer' on the loose, instead of the opposite. I know some people might disagree with me, but I guess its because I'm a local... I know this town... and unfortunately I don't put it past the local authorities to cover up something this large... sorry I just don't.... I did not come out of this feeling reassured, that is definite.

You're absolutely right. Macon has the most corrupt leadership around. And from what I know from everything I've read on the matter, only a person who enjoys killing will cut up a body.

The elderly man's death has nothing in common with Lauren's murder. The first line in the article states that no foul play is suspected. I'm curious why you would introduce it here, as if to suggest it is in some way related to this discussion.

I assume the original article was updated to reflect new information

To be fair, at the time he/she posted it, it did not say whether it was male or female and did not say foul play was not suspected. I think it just said that a body was found.
In that case, one should either hold off on posting until more information is published, or post an update here so there is no misunderstanding. If the rumors are so widespread that Chief Burns was compelled to hold a news conference to address them, then we have to be extra conscientious lest we become guilty of adding to the pile.

You're absolutely right. Macon has the most corrupt leadership around.

Corrupt leadership? You mean the mayor? No way. Previous mayor, maybe so, but that's been awhile.

To be fair, your statement was in response to Maconmeander's comment that "s/he wouldn't put it past them to cover up something this large." That statement implies dishonesty by LE. If YOU are also talking about Chief Burns (and/or DA Winters), I think you're WAY off base. These guys are doing their dead-level best with a very difficult and horrific crime. And, remember that their #1 priority is catching and convicting the perpetrator, not keeping us want-to-know-it-all-nows informed.

Sure, this is anonymous posting on a website that invites both fact statement and opinion (identified as such), but think about the individual people you are defaming with your blanket statement and I think you'll agree that your statement is over the top.

You made some very good points in this post, but IMO it's unfair to discuss McD's parent's. We don't know anything about them, nor their home life.

My niece had a situation last year similar to your relatives. It was very scary for her and all of us. Long story short she ended up moving to another state. She was never able to feel completely safe again in that area.

I am sorry. You are right. That was unfair. They may be perfectly wonderful. My first impression of them was that they were in so much pain because they love their son and he came from a loving family.
It is scary. You don't want to think that you can do everything "right" with your children and then something like this happen. I guess when you hear a convicted killer comes from a terrible background it makes you breath a sigh of relief. Everyone makes little mistakes as parents but it's like "Ok as long as I don't keep my child in the basement and tell them they are worthless, they won't go out and kill someone." Make sense?

Corrupt leadership? You mean the mayor? No way. Previous mayor, maybe so, but that's been awhile.

To be fair, your statement was in response to Maconmeander's comment that "s/he wouldn't put it past them to cover up something this large." That statement implies dishonesty by LE. If YOU are also talking about Chief Burns (and/or DA Winters), I think you're WAY off base. These guys are doing their dead-level best with a very difficult and horrific crime. And, remember that their #1 priority is catching and convicting the perpetrator, not keeping us want-to-know-it-all-nows informed.

Sure, this is anonymous posting on a website that invites both fact statement and opinion (identified as such), but think about the individual people you are defaming with your blanket statement and I think you'll agree that your statement is over the top.

Totally agree, ThinMan. To even consider that LE would not warn or inform the public that there was a dangerous killer in the community would be the height of irresponsibility on their part. I cannot imagine that scenario in my wildest dreams that they are putting Macon citizens at risk of being murdered just because they don't want to create panic.

You're absolutely right. Macon has the most corrupt leadership around. And from what I know from everything I've read on the matter, only a person who enjoys killing will cut up a body.

thank you parakeet... now YOU sound like a local... or at least someone who knows Macon very very well... I did say in my post that those from out-of-town would probably think it impossible that the MPD (or not even MPD, necessarily, but the other people in power involved) would do such a thing... me, not so much... once again, only my two cents from living here a long long long time.

In an earlier interview Kaitlyn said (paraphrasing) that because no one has been arrested, the family does not know where to direct their anger.

When someone posted earlier that she was not happy with FOX News, I meant to point out that she is unhappy with everyone (including posters). I should have clarified that point and I apologize if I upset anyone.

I can certainly understand her anger and agree that some disgusting comments have been made on other sites. Her comments make me feel that the family has not gotten any answers. I would have hoped that LE has kept the family informed more than the public. Judging from the presser Burns gave and Kaitlyn's comments, I don't have a lot of hope that there will be an arrest soon.

AngelAnalyzes' motive theory (or something similarly nefarious, such as necrophilia) is probably going to remain a theory for some time after a homicide charge is made. If (a guess) SMD is charged with LG's murder next week, the DA will be very reluctant to disclose facts that would substantiate AA's theory (if, indeed, there are such facts).

The DA has to anticipate a defense motion to change venue for the trail (along with another conflict of interest motion) and wants to provide just enough public information to get everyone to believe that SMD is the perpetrator, but not so much as to inflame the public and give the defense ammunition for a claim that it's impossible for SMD to get a fair trial in Bibb County.

A public charge of cannibalism or necrophilia would multiply 100x the amount of publicity that's been accorded this homicide. If such a statement is made at the time SMD is charge with the murder, I think it means that there is only trace evidence to sustain the murder charge against SMD, and that it's only weakly probative of his guilt. In that case, the sensational (extra) facts about post-mortem abuse of the corpse would be put into play to create the "he did it" response that is so important for the DA to create with the announcement of the murder indictment. At this point, I'm betting we won't hear next week about post-mortem corpse abuse (other than the dismemberment), even if there are facts that support the theory.

I don't think, however, we will have to wait until the trial to learn whether AA is correct -- the sort of details that go with her motive theory or similar ones will be very hard to keep from leaking. Then we'll be in the same situation we are now, trying to separate rumor from fact (which I think participants on this website are doing a pretty good job of) and drawing implications from the facts that DO leak out from the MPD, DA, Coroner, and/or Grand Jury.

I agree, once we have a firmer idea of the theory of the crime per the authorities if McDaniel is ever charged it should be pretty clear. Just due to how rare it is that those facts are made clear or even occur in crimes, though, I would still bet against it, I just feel it is more a possibility with this crime than with many others due to certain aspects of what appears to have taken place here. It may just LOOK that way because the plan to avoid detection as 1) complex 2) interrupted. :waitasec:

Hello to you all.

I have a few questions, but first, I would like to suggest more threads opened with specific topics. This is all running together and no way to find one topic, such as Location Of Body, Dates Of Importance, Theories, Persons Of Interest, etc... We need this asap. I've tried to locate a few tidbits here and it's impossible to go through everything. I apologize if my questions have been asked or answered, but perhaps a specialized thread on specific topics would help me locate the answers quicker, if they are there to be found.

1. If anyone knows, why do all of the runners/Hashers names have a sexual overtone or crude overtone, mostly sexual or indicative of a sex act or a sexual organ on the male/female body? (Lauren's nic in the group was Swamp Douche Barbie. Not sexual, but we all know where a douche is used.) Just wonder why nobody is called Mister Megatron, or Big Braves Fan, etc. The nics seem to indicate that not everyone who enjoys running and beer drinking will fit in. Perhaps you also need to enjoy gettin' freaky with them, too?

For a moment I thought he didn't, but I think he did. The only way I can see this going down, is....I think he had some deep seeded issues. I think he might have formed a little crush on Lauren because she was nice to him and didn't exclude (which is much different than including.) I think he felt a connection with her because he had been going into her apartment for a couple of months, if not years, and thought from the little clues and signs that he saw that they could be together. He might have had some sort of fantasy that if she would just break up with "that guy" in Atlanta then she would see that they would be perfect together. I think maybe the last couple of times he went in, she might have suspected him as the one going in and wrote an email stating this. She might have expressed fear of him. I think he read it and it enraged him because he had this "connection" with her in his mind and he snapped. I think he probably had some big hatred/jealousy and a sense of superiority over the "good ole boys" in law school that the girls fawned over. He went into their apartments and took tabs on their condom usage. He probably took their last one or two condoms as a little joke thinking that they would get someone pregnant or an STD in the heat of the moment and that would be just deserts for their careless behavior.
Lauren had been working for the underdogs of the world but was dating a high dollar atty who was nothing more than the antithesis of what he thought an attorney should be and what he probably thought she was. I think he probably got a sick satisfaction that the atty boyfriend didn't report her missing and was out of the state. The boyfriend's lack of response was gratifying because it proved his theory that he wasn't in love with her the way he was.

GOOD POST.
I hadn't even considered the idea that he took the condoms in part to mess up a dude's game, or life potentially. That would be clever [and sick]!
I have felt for a while that Lauren may have represented something to Stephen [*if he did it*] that was interconnected with his sense of self, and that he may have put way too much stock into the whole thing, which would leave him hanging psychologically if reality rather suddenly came crashing through his fantasy construct.
I definitely think that whether or not he did anything to Lauren, he felt pitted against the, for lack of a better term, "popular" people he was forced to compete with academically and professionally. He based his self-worth in large part on the notion of being "autre" with a heaping spoonful of superior, which in part served as a defense mechanism to protect him from the fact that he didn't fit in [not that fitting in is oh so important, but a sense of alienation is universally threatening unless you find a silver lining].
I've seen some amazing results produced from studies on the effect peer-rejection has on violent inclinations in college students.
Having Lauren living right next to him had to rub SOMETHING in his face everyday.

I agree, once we have a firmer idea of the theory of the crime per the authorities if McDaniel is ever charged it should be pretty clear. Just due to how rare it is that those facts are made clear or even occur in crimes, though, I would still bet against it, I just feel it is more a possibility with this crime than with many others due to certain aspects of what appears to have taken place here. It may just LOOK that way because the plan to avoid detection as 1) complex 2) interrupted. :waitasec:

I know there are advantages and disadvantages to the sunshine law, but it would be great if each state would at least release everything AFTER the trial. In addition to satisfying my curiosity, the fact that everything will eventually be public knowledge may help keep everyone involved on the up and up. ( I'm referring to any case, not just this one)

I agree with ThinMan who is familiar with Macon as well.. And this LE, especially Chief Burns has given zero reason for us not to believe every word he has stated.. This man seems extremely genuine, not to mention Lauren Giddings(the victim here) her family has made it very clear that they are 100% trusting in LE and think they are doing a remarkable job!
This family knows alot of the behind the scenes things, the info that we are not privy to.. NOR SHOULD WE BE PRIVY TO!! This investigation is being run like any other investigation *with LE and the DA being absolutely as tight lipped as they can manage to keep everyone.. And the way it sounds by Chief Burns stating there are only 4 people who even know all of the details thus far known which IMO is smart thinking when speaking about a case of this magnitude..*

For all of these ^above^ reasons along with the fact that majority of us are extremely PRO-LE and until there is proof that a LE agency is being unethical or corrupt(which again is the farthest from what has been seen in this case)we will continue to have zero reason to question that what LE has stated is every bit honest and their only motive is to see this case solved and justice received in this young woman's behalf..

Chief Burns exhibits nothing but being unfamiliar with media at this level which IMO is more than understandable and nothing I would ever find fault with him over..

Jmo,tho!

A couple of quotes from Kaitlyn below. It sounds like the family doesn't know much either.

"We want them to do the best job they can, and if that takes time then that's what it takes," she said.

Police have not shared with her family who they believe killed Giddings' or whether they are leaning toward Stephen McDaniel, who they named a person of interest, in the case.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/...dings-Sister-Talks-About-Police-Investigation

Hello to you all.

I have a few questions, but first, I would like to suggest more threads opened with specific topics. This is all running together and no way to find one topic, such as Location Of Body, Dates Of Importance, Theories, Persons Of Interest, etc... We need this asap. I've tried to locate a few tidbits here and it's impossible to go through everything. I apologize if my questions have been asked or answered, but perhaps a specialized thread on specific topics would help me locate the answers quicker, if they are there to be found.

1. If anyone knows, why do all of the runners/Hashers names have a sexual overtone or crude overtone, mostly sexual or indicative of a sex act or a sexual organ on the male/female body? (Lauren's nic in the group was Swamp Douche Barbie. Not sexual, but we all know where a douche is used.) Just wonder why nobody is called Mister Megatron, or Big Braves Fan, etc. The nics seem to indicate that not everyone who enjoys running and beer drinking will fit in. Perhaps you also need to enjoy gettin' freaky with them, too?

Tradition.

The fact that she was given such a silly, yet bawdy, name most likely means that she was well-liked and respected by her fellow hashers.

When Boni Bush entered the apartment of Giddings after not getting an answer upon knocking, why did she unlock the door and enter the apartment instead of just leaving a note on the door?

I first thought perhaps she may have thought Lauren already moved out, but that excuse doesn't make any sense considering Lauren's car was most likely right there. The car could not be missed if it was parked there in the front. No possible way for her to not see it. (If she says it was NOT parked there when she visited, that would be most interesting, not to mention giving us another point to ponder, considering it was towed from there on June 30, so I'm going to assume the car was right under Bush's nose when she was at that door.)

The car being there was a clear indication that Lauren had NOT already moved out, and this was BEFORE anyone reported Giddings missing, and as far as we know, it was also before anyone LOOKED for her in a concerned manner. So why did Bush feel it necessary to open that door if she only wanted to discuss Lauren moving out on Friday? Couldn't she have given her a quick call and left her a voicemail message after getting no answer at the door? That seems much more respectful of a tenant's privacy.

Considering Lauren's car was most likely present and clearly visible to Bush, what would have happened if Bush opened the door and Lauren had a visitor and they were not clothed, perhaps in the middle of something? Seems to me that the presence of Lauren's car was a very big reason to NOT open the door. Landlords/apartment managers could really find themselves in quite a predicament, or dead if the tenant has a gun and is startled by someone just opening up their door like that.

To me, it would make more sense to unlock and enter only if the car was NOT there, so I do wonder what her reasoning was and if this was common of Bush as a landlord. If so, I wonder how other tenants reacted when she may have opened up their door after getting no answer. Seems you can't duck and dodge the landlady in this place.

And is it possible that Bush could have opened any door there and accidentally left a key behind, such as next door? Could that explain why SMD said he did not have a skeleton key? Could the landlady have mistakenly left it behind? I think that's something to think about, as well as whether or not she would admit leaving it behind if she did so. I don't know her character, so I cannot possibly know the answer to that.

I'd kind of think we were a bunch of weirdos, fwiw. :crazy:

I don't think that we're weirdos. LOL Well, ok, well maybe I am. :D

I agree with GivMetheShivers' post on the next page, about having a curious and problem-solving nature. I think that probably the majority of folks on here would say the same about themselves. I know that I do.

When Boni Bush entered the apartment of Giddings after not getting an answer upon knocking, why did she unlock the door and enter the apartment instead of just leaving a note on the door?

Do we know that Boni entered the apartment during the missing days? I could be wrong but I thought she did just leave a note stating that they needed to talk about her moving out. I thought the friends reported the note being on the door when they went to try to find Lauren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earworm