GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't take the "Satan is trying to steal Stephen" remark to indicate an acknowledgement that Stephen may have committed the crime. Rather, I think "Satan" in this case refers to the evil, worldly powers which are trying to imprison and perhaps, ultimately, kill the unjustly accused.

For the record, as we are talking about "mama's love" and how the rest of the family feels, and speculating about why they are so quiet: While GM has been the most outspoken, the idea that there is no way SM committed this crime is not unique to her. SM's (I'm guessing paternal, as M seems to be her maiden name) aunt allegedly posts in the comment section of the Telegraph and indicates that she considers the very idea his his guilt to be impossible. So, it appears that it's not just mama.

I dont' think it's just MAMA"S LOVE, but rather the fact that possibly, QUITE likely, that SM has never been in trouble his entire life, always the studious one and obedient one, has never been caught in lies if he is an avid liar. I dont' think most anyone would have a VERY VERY Hard time admitting or even entertaining the thought that he could maim and dismember someone. Satan may mean different things to different people so I won't speculate as to what the family means when they say "satan". I also do not believe that those who obstruct police officers are killers or are guilty of anything other than just obstruction.......... just, IMO,that they obviously disrespect authority. Sociopaths TYPICALLY start out as juvenile delinquents and disrespecting authority falls under that category. Unlike how SM appears to have lived his life. NOt to say that any one person in a category would or would not commit murder or that a sociopath would or would not murder. However, sociopaths do not always murder, but most always those who do are sociopaths. Sociopaths have varying degrees of the illness. Some more dangerous than others.

The police can search only the place described in a warrant and usually can seize only the property that the warrant describes. The police cannot search a house if the warrant specifies the backyard, nor can they search for weapons if the warrant specifies marijuana plants. However, this does not mean that police officers can seize only those items listed in the warrant. If, in the course of their search, police officers come across contraband or evidence of a crime that is not listed in the warrant, they can lawfully seize the unlisted items.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/search-warrant-basics-29742.html

My copy of Forensics for Dummies says basically the same thing.:rocker:

Also police can not search in areas where the items listed in the warrant wouldn't logically be.
If the warrant states that they're looking for a rifle then the officers can't look in a shoe box. The rifle wouldn't fit.

It was very clever of MPD to list fibers in the items to be searched for. Fibers could be anywhere. And if, while searching everywhere, they found other "evidence of a crime", they could seize it.

Scott Peterson was a fairly successful and clean-cut guy by all outward appearances. He was a momma's boy too.

I bet the DA wakes up every morning gleefully anticipating another GM interview. She's serving all kind of contradictions up on a silver platter for them to use in trial. Should be easy to strike all of the ridiculous stories out one by one. She's signaling the defense's hand well before they need to play it.

You're exactly right! She has no idea how much she's HELPING the DA have a slam dunk to counter all of their claims in rebuttal. Keep talkin' Glenda!

A few thoughts:

When I first saw video of GM standing up in the courtroom, my immediate response was that she intended to control the outcome. Takes a control freak with some big, swingin' cajones to interrupt a court proceeding. And it looked like she would explode with frustration when the judge denied her antics.

Secondly, a hacksaw with traces of LG's DNA was found in a place that might implicate the MM. Is it possible that fibers from MM's car were also placed on the body by the perp as part of the get-out-of-jail-free card? It seems pretty odd to me that SM just happens to have intimate knowledge of fiber color in MM's car. After all, MM lives in the same complex, but in a separate bldg. Why would SM even notice?

I wonder if SM is leaking things to GM, whom he knows cannot keep her mouth shut, in order to draw attention to the evidence he's planted on his second intended victim and fall guy, MM.

Gimme some feedback, fellow sleuths!

:floorlaugh: Oh good one. What better way to appear innocent and use the power of suggestion on one who can't keep quiet. That just drops the ball in someone elses lap, letting them do the dirty work.
I missed something, was their fibers found on the saw?? If so, well, SM did allegedly say he could commit a murder and get away with it. Use everything you have to implement someone else. I'm still not sure how he cleaned all that up the week of classes (assuming classes were held all week not just THURsday) Surely I've never committed such acts myself but I would think someone would be determined yes, but the stress and fatigue - from the act AND the stress combined would hinder his day to day affairs. Now in addition, having to frame someone else, that's a lot to deal with and have prep classes every day and have to study (if indeed he was).

In Zahra Baker's case, the search warrants were left purposefully for the owners of the home, to show what was removed.

I thought it was protocol to leave a copy of the search warrant with the person being searched? :waitasec:
In ZB's case, LE removed carpet, cut out floorboards, and stripped the bathroom, so naturally they would provide the landlord a copy of the SW.

In this case, the occupant rents the premises, and he was incarcerated. I would expect a copy to be submitted to his lawyer, but I wasn't sure they would leave one lying around the apartment, especially in such a high profile case where LE is trying so hard to maintain secrecy. The landlady, BB, would be given one, though, which might also explain why GM is so well informed.

:floorlaugh: Oh good one. What better way to appear innocent and use the power of suggestion on one who can't keep quiet. That just drops the ball in someone elses lap, letting them do the dirty work.
I missed something, was their fibers found on the saw?? If so, well, SM did allegedly say he could commit a murder and get away with it. Use everything you have to implement someone else. I'm still not sure how he cleaned all that up the week of classes (assuming classes were held all week not just THURsday) Surely I've never committed such acts myself but I would think someone would be determined yes, but the stress and fatigue - from the act AND the stress combined would hinder his day to day affairs. Now in addition, having to frame someone else, that's a lot to deal with and have prep classes every day and have to study (if indeed he was).
tomkat, GM is telling us that police are searching for gray and blue fibers, possibly found on the remains of LG. SM has told mama that police should look in MM's car, since that's the color of his its interior.

In ZB's case, LE removed carpet, cut out floorboards, and stripped the bathroom, so naturally they would provide the landlord a copy of the SW.

In this case, the occupant rents the premises, and he was incarcerated. I would expect a copy to be submitted to his lawyer, but I wasn't sure they would leave one lying around the apartment, especially in such a high profile case where LE is trying so hard to maintain secrecy. The landlady, BB, would be given one, though, which might also explain why GM is so well informed.

I don't know BB, but I could see her playing both sides. Like Mama crying to her and BB saying "I know McD would never do this. The media twisted my words when they said that that I asked Lauren if she felt safe next to McD and Lauren said he was a weirdo. Let me know how I can help!"

The police removed the downstairs unit, so I am guessing they had VERY good reason to believe it was used in the crime, since it was specifically targeted even though it didn't belong to McDaniel.
There is a good chance McDaniel habitually snooped through people's apartments, learned of their plans, habits, comings and goings. Maybe somehow he managed to ascertain that in all likelihood the tenant would not be returning to the apartment during that time frame, maybe he found out somehow that the tenant would be out of town. I'd like to hear from that tenant, to see whether they had informed McD of their plans.
I was challenged when I said that a few weeks back, but I still believe it's a likely scenario, especially if McD planned the act. He and the downstairs tenant were neighbors, they were both students. It would be so natural for the neighbor to tell McD of his plans. He says he's moving the bulk of his belongings, will get settled in at the new place, then return the following week to pick up the loose ends and clean up so he can get back his deposit. The landlady would have no need to enter the apartment until the tenant was completely moved. If one or the othe did enter the apartment, what are the odds either would look in the freezer? There was a limbo period, so to speak, regarding the apartment, and I believe McD was fully aware of it. Not only was the refrigerator available, other tenants had moved, but it was too early for the new tenants to have arrived. A perfect time to carry out the crime.

Ok...something else just struck me as odd.

McD can remember everyone name and where they live and can spit it out during a stressful interview, yet when it comes to framing Dorer, he calls him MM. This, IMO, is interesting.
SmD is either:
A. A genius, creating a mental image in the public's mind about a shadey MM and not a button down wearing, twenty something Law Student with his whole life ahead of him.
or
B. Not referring to him by name because it is easier to point the finger at someone who is faceless and nameless in what is the remote corners of his conscience.
or
C. Shows a judgement that he has made on Dorer through observation and interaction. Everyone else in Law School has a name and a street that they live on, but Maintenance Man is not afforded the same distiction. He is not Dorer "the law student," he is nothing more than the Maintenance Man at an apartment complex.

Also note that according to that article, he is going to be a 3L this fall. He did not graduate in May with LG and SM.

I point this out because some people dismissed his ceasing to live and be employed at BH as the resident MM to be the natural course of events, assuming he had graduated.

puts him in an awkward position to stay but awkward where ever he goes I would imagine

I don't know BB, but I could see her playing both sides. Like Mama crying to her and BB saying "I know McD would never do this. The media twisted my words when they said that that I asked Lauren if she felt safe next to McD and Lauren said he was a weirdo. Let me know how I can help!"
I recall an article where BB said she promised to keep GM updated with what was going on in the case. A couple of things BB said makes me think they've grown chummy. And I can plainly see GM calling her 50 times a day to ask questions.

tomkat, GM is telling us that police are searching for gray and blue fibers, possibly found on the remains of LG. SM has told mama that police should look in MM's car, since that's the color of his its interior.

Thanks. Does anyone know how close in proximity the two lived? Sm and MM? How long MM lived there? We know SM was there since what? 04/05? I think he graduated in 04 from High School

So if a long time tenancy for both, SM would probably know MM's vehicle's interior. On the other hand, might have a made a POINT to know it.

http://www.macon.com/2011/08/10/1660459/mcdaniels-mom-police-focused-on.html#disqus_thread Now I do have a question, does anyone else recall early on a reference to a Subaru belonging to McDaniel and Glenda saying that police asked her if her son had more than one car? Here is a picture of a Geo Prizm. May be just my imagination, and/or be irrelevant, but I wonder what happened to the Subaru ? Why is car still impounded ? Did SM carry LG's body parts around in it ? I am thinking he had her in his refrigerator, not the one downstairs. How could he know no one would go in there ?

Truly, and no one would enter his apartment more than likely. I thought the same, how would he know no one would go in the vacant unit below.

ALso, an interesting comparison. Counterfeit money was found in a dumpster just 35 feet from the location to where it was being printed in Monroe MI.

How far was SM apartment to the dumpster? Just interesting to note, you'd think someone would get the evidence far away from them UNLESS, they were confident no one was on to them. Such a sloppy mistake.

Oh but didn't his friend say that he was super tidy and would make a great roommate?
Sooo, still having the packaging for a Hacksaw you bought in April WITHOUT the hacksaw does not strike me as a tidy person's method of operation.

I read he had many OCD tendencies or such, lining up cans etc, but the apartment wasn't very clean.

Last year, I ended up in someone's house where both occupants were incarcerated. The police had executed a search warrant on the house. The search warrant was laid out on the counter. The police left it behind as an inventory of the items removed. This was also in Georgia, so I would expect they would do the same in Macon.

I was challenged when I said that a few weeks back, but I still believe it's a likely scenario, especially if McD planned the act. He and the downstairs tenant were neighbors, they were both students. It would be so natural for the neighbor to tell McD of his plans. He says he's moving the bulk of his belongings, will get settled in at the new place, then return the following week to pick up the loose ends and clean up so he can get back his deposit. The landlady would have no need to enter the apartment until the tenant was completely moved. If one or the othe did enter the apartment, what are the odds either would look in the freezer? There was a limbo period, so to speak, regarding the apartment, and I believe McD was fully aware of it. Not only was the refrigerator available, other tenants had moved, but it was too early for the new tenants to have arrived. A perfect time to carry out the crime.

True, but I would be nervous about that, it's a bit risky as plans can change. I mean this is not a kid hiding cigarettes.....He was lucky no one returned. I guess, unless you compare it to Wednesday, when the perp may not have suspected the friends to show up and the LE to be summoned and so had to hurriedly trash the evidence in front of their apartment becuase he cuoldnt' drag it away at 5 am and risk getting caught, and knowing the trash would be picked up Thursday early. Sloppy or genious, depending on if the body was discovered. And it was.

Glenda McDaniel said she has seen copies of search warrants police left behind when they combed her 25-year-old son’s apartment in recent weeks, sifting for clues in the slaying of Lauren Giddings.
http://www.macon.com/2011/08/10/1660459/mcdaniels-mom-police-focused-on.html
I'd like to know what LE officer would be careless enough to leave behind a copy of the search warrant.
Does this sound unrealistic to anyone else?
Is she just saying this, yet has seen the warrant somewhere else?

It's amazing how many responses were generated by this initial post :)
Funny, I probably wouldn't have posted it had a thought about a bit longer, but I'm now glad I did.
There have been a lot of good posts with info about search warrants.

I think the way the article was written seemed to suggest to me GM had found something that LE had mistakenly left behind.
Yet, it's perfectly logical that they would at least leave a detailed list of items removed.
In fact, reading her quoted words and the fact that she states she's guessing
seems to suggest that such a list is what she in fact was referring to.

It was suggested that perhaps SM had planted the idea of the blue/gray fibers in talking to her,
as well as the idea that DD's car has these fibers.
I think this is interesting, especially since it does seem logical that she would have access to the actual warrants served,
and yet she makes a point to state that she is "assuming" these things.
It's as if she's trying to hide the fact she actually knows these things from either the warrant or SM.
She wants to make sure the listener believes that she is simply logically coming to these conclusions.
Glenda McDaniel said Tuesday that she has deduced that detectives are apparently hunting items “consistent with the color of fibers on (Giddings’) body.”

“I am assuming that based on the fact that when the police went back in Stephen’s apartment later -- because they were communicating with the FBI -- they went back in and they collected articles of clothing and towels that all had blue or gray fibers,” Glenda McDaniel, 56, told The Telegraph in a telephone interview.

“I’m assuming or suspect that that would be the reason for them zeroing in on those colors. I don’t have somebody at the FBI telling me that, but that would be a logical conclusion,” she said.

She says the search warrants indicated that detectives seized “articles of clothing and towels and other items in (Stephen’s) apartment that had blue or gray fibers. And they took quite a list of items. He wears a lot of blue. ... Blue happens to be my favorite color, and if I buy a gift for him, frequently it’s blue.”

Glenda McDaniel thinks such fibers may be present in a car driven by a former resident -- the true culprit, she claims -- at the Barristers Hall apartments.
As was pointed out by others here, manipulation is her game.

I read he had many OCD tendencies or such, lining up cans etc, but the apartment wasn't very clean.
I am not so sure the mother wasn't lining up the cans, looking after her son , like she is doing now . I wonder if she does realizes how much this is going to cost , her "feeling so strongly" about this ? And will Stephen, if he is so smart, allow his parents to go through this financially ? Or will he be granted indigent status like Casey Anthony and get the taxpayers to pick up the tab ? God forbid, because Bibb County is already in enough trouble without having to try to foot a multi-million dollar defense bill . He needs to come clean, confess everything and bring closure to both families. The evidence will be overwhelming, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member