GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandstorm post:
Found Deceased GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 27 June 2011 - #8 - Page 14 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thank you for the comment, JeannieC.

Gary Hilton’s mom interview

The link did not work so I downloaded.
IMO:
Very revealing dialogue between the GBI (Georgia) investigator who very cleverly directs the interview with Gary’s mom.
After listening to the audio:IMO Gary did not have much of a homelife. His father left at birth, was raised my mom until he was 6. Mom remarried when Gary was 9. Step-dad was verbally abusive and jealous of Gary. Constant conflicts between step-dad and Gary, the 3 of them moved from town to town only staying 3 months at any one place, mom did not know details about her son while he was growing up, she spoke in generalities.

AUDIO:
http://hilton-gary-michael.blogspot.com/2010/07/audio-interview-with-suspected-serial.html

Verdict: Death
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/gary-hilton-sentenced-to-death-in-fla-murder-022111

I also noticed she repeatedly bragged on GH, he was exceptionally smart, always excelled, could have skipped from 7th grade to 12th. Defended everything he did, he was such a good child, never said anything even with an abusive step-dad. Seemed like she closed her eyes to him doing anything wrong or having any emotional problems. She was clueless about her son.

Ok...one more thing.
Someone I know diagnoses people and they were saying that there are some red flags on Daddy McD as well. This person was saying that if a pt came in and started saying that he was a PhD turned painter, it would make him want to dig a little deeper.

Someone posting as a McD family member in the comments section on macon.com (SMD's paternal aunt) claimed that SMD's father inherited the painting business from his father and does quite well financially (a rumor of course, since we can't verify identity or truth of poster or posting). A PhD, particularly in theology (as I have surmised - not known fact), wouldn't be that lucrative, so this career switch might make sense. I actually took his claim of being "a PhD turned house painter" as an attempt at modesty or at least self-deprecating humor - MOO, of course.

While anything is possible, what I know about meth is that it is so highly addictive and debilitating, I'm not sure he would have been able to complete law school and make it to class everyday as people have stated before.

But that is definitely creepy about his teeth...haven't crimes been solved before based on matching up of a bite pattern?

http://www.forensic.to/webhome/bitemarks1/

Ted Bundy bit one of his victims from the sorority house.

Someone posting as a McD family member in the comments section on macon.com (SMD's paternal aunt) claimed that SMD's father inherited the painting business from his father and does quite well financially (a rumor of course, since we can't verify identity or truth of poster or posting). A PhD, particularly in theology (as I have surmised - not known fact), wouldn't be that lucrative, so this career switch might make sense. I actually took his claim of being "a PhD turned house painter" as an attempt at modesty or at least self-deprecating humor - MOO, of course.

I'm curious about McD's Father. When people speak on camera or you read their printed words, you get a feeling about them. We don't know McD's Mother, but I have a sense about her personality and what she may be like as a person.

"PhD turned House Painter", I can see that statement being meant either way. He feels people need to know he is more than just a "tradesman". He's an educated man doing this menial job by choice or kind of a wink-wink kinda thing. I wonder if he will ever address the media on his son's behalf?

I've seen the Aunt's posts, she seems like a nice person. Her comments are in-line with what she believes ... McD is innocent.

There are some conflicting indications about whether Georgia will ultimately be charging McDaniel with malice murder or felony murder. Currently, both options remain a possibility, but indications are that felony murder is being heavily considered as the eventual charge. This seems slightly incongruous, in that Lauren's murder appears, by all accounts, to be an intentional and premeditated act, making it a malice murder rather than a felony murder.

But there is one obvious explanation for why prosecutors are leaning towards the felony murder charge: in Georgia, it can be easier to obtain the death penalty against a first-time offender where the charge is one of felony murder rather than one of malice murder.

This is because premeditated murder, on its own, cannot result in imposition of the death penalty. Although the death penalty is available for either malice murder, or for felony murder where there is also malice, you need something additional to get the death penalty for malice murders, whereas you do not for (most) felony murders.

Under a threshold scheme, like Georgia has, the death penalty is an available punishment for a capital crime only where one of eleven aggravating circumstances are met. See Ga. Code Ann. § 17-10-30(b). This means that, to impose capital punishment, the jury must find that the accused committed the murder and that one of the eleven enumerated circumstances exist. Both of these parts must be established beyond a reasonable doubt. However, many of the eleven aggravating factors concern offenders with prior records. So Georgia's threshold scheme means that, for someone who has never been charged with a crime before, felony murder can be more likely to result in capital punishment, whereas for a repeat offender, the aggravating element is automatically met.

Of the eleven aggravating circumstances, only two are potentially applicable to McDaniel -- (b)(2) and (b)(7). The remaining nine either involve defendants with prior convictions or circumstances not present here. So for the death penalty to apply to McDaniel, one of following two factors must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt:

(b)(2): The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was committed while the offender was engaged in the commission of another capital felony or aggravated battery, or the offense of murder was committed while the offender was engaged in the commission of burglary or arson in the first degree; [or]

(b)(7): The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible, or inhuman in that it involved torture, depravity of mind, or an aggravated battery to the victim[.]​

It is (b)(2) where the felony murder charge comes in. With felony murder, you essentially get to "double-count" the aggravating factor -- first, the felony is found to be part of the underlying murder charge, and second, the felony is the aggravating circumstance warranting the death penalty.

If the state's case is that McDaniel planned to kill Lauren, and then carried out his plan and killed her, the prosecution will have a more difficult time getting capital punishment under (b)(2). If instead the state's case is that McDaniel broke into Lauren's apartment (itself a burglary, as it's a breaking into a dwelling, with whatever felony intent the prosecutors want to try for), and then subsequent to the break in Lauren was somehow killed, then the death penalty becomes automatically available.

True, in either case, the prosecutor will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a felony occurred. But from the perspective of the jury, you can see why the latter is the more preferable. If a jury is asked only to find McDaniel guilty of felony murder, then you can bet your pants that the jury is going to make sure someone like McDaniel gets convicted, and they will go ahead and find that he was also committing a burglary at the time, if that's what is needed and if there is evidence backing it up. If instead, the jury is only asked to find McDaniel guilty of premeditated murder, and then they are later asked to go back and find if he also committed another crime, things get more chancy. The jury might well decide that even if the murder was beyond a reasonable doubt, is there really sufficient evidence to determine beyond reasonable doubt that McDaniel also happened to plan to commit this other crime at the same time? Or did he only probably commit this other crime? Given that he viciously murdered her, who cares if he also committed a burglary while doing it?

Of course, prosecutors won't necessarily need the felony murder hook to get the death penalty for McDaniel at all -- because (b)(7) would already authorize it. Showing that the second factor was present in McDaniel's crime -- depravity of mind -- will be easier in this case than it will in most others, given the post-mortem mutilation. Jury instructions for “depravity of mind” have been given as follows:

[D]epravity of mind is a reflection of an utterly corrupt, perverted or immoral state of mind. In determining whether or not the offense of murder in this case involved depravity of mind on the part of the defendant, you may consider the age and physical characteristics of the victim and you may consider the actions of the defendant prior to and after the commission of the murder. In order to find that the offense of murder involved depravity of mind, you must find that the defendant, as the result of his utter corruption, perversion or immorality, committed aggravated battery or torture upon a living person, or subjected the body of a deceased victim to mutilation, or serious disfigurement or sexual abuse. West v. State, 252 Ga. 156, 161, (appendix) 313 S.E.2d 67 (1984)

Thus, the dismemberment of Lauren's body alone could be, but is not necessarily, sufficient to get the death penalty, because "the offense of murder" does not terminate at the instant of death, and events that happen afterward can be considered in determining whether aggravating factors are present. See Conklin v. State, 254 Ga. 558, 565, 331 S.E.2d 532, 539 (1985) (finding that complete dismemberment of the body and disposal in a dumpster was sufficient to find that murder was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible or inhuman, justifying imposition of death penalty).

So the prosecutors can get capital punishment against McDaniel with or without the felony murder charge. However, given that with felony murder you could also still get the aggravating charge under (b)(7), the prosecutors may have decided that they can get a more solid case with felony murder -- after all, if you go in to trial trying to prove two separate aggravating factors, the odds that the jury will come back with a verdict finding at least one of them was present go up. And you only need one to get the death penalty, doesn't matter which one it ends up being.

Hyrax, I wish you could be the prosecutor.

Well, maybe so....then again this is a MD talking from years and years of experience.

Also, this is the same AUNT who was on Macon.com saying that people just didn't understand the situation as to why the sister couldn't care for her children. It was like the sister had something like MS or both legs amputated....NO, Sis has a good old fashion case of the crack-cocaine addiction.

I know plenty of people who inherent blue-collar businesses from family members and they do very well. Some of them are the first people in their family to go to college. They get degrees in Business and they start getting their hands dirty to learn all aspects of the business. They don't rack up student loans to gain a PhD in Theology.
He had to get the PhD for some reason. Calling from God? Then I would think he would be an:
■Associate Pastor: $41,208 – $57,321
■Chaplain: $40,235 – $56,180
■Youth Pastor: $24,284 – $40,713

The average salary of the top 10% of people who own house painting businesses in Chicago, Seattle and most major cities earn an average of $42,000.
I am not sure what the average in Lilburn would be. Probably much, much more.

Then lets add in the fact that he could have become an associate professor at a University. Their average starting salary is $52000. He would have had benefits, a hefty retirement and possibly making as much as $80,000. He also would have had a very flexible schedule and could have painted houses on the side.

We don't know any of this for sure... I am just telling you that it could be a red flag.

I don't find it strange that the McD's adopted their grandchildren. We don't know exactly what the situation was or how severe the neglect may have been. I can tell you I have read about cases here at WS that would break your heart. Since the Aunt is family she knows all the details involved, I can imagine it would be hard to make strangers understand that situation.

Excerpt from Mark McDaniel's Facebook:

I think Stephen's father may partly be the source of his apparent superiority complex.
I'm curious about this statement, Angel. I think McD suffers from intensely inferior feelings and any exaggerated displays of superiority are a defensive technique to hide them. So, if you mean McD learned from his father to compensate for his anxiety through expressions of self-importance, then I'm inclined to agree with you. If you're saying that one or both hold a genuine superiority complex, one that isn't borne from an underlying inferiority complex, then I'm inclined to respectfully disagree.
We should not be astonished if in the cases where we see an inferiority [feeling] complex we find a superiority complex more or less hidden. On the other hand, if we inquire into a superiority complex and study its continuity, we can always find a more or less hidden inferiority [feeling] complex.
The Science of Living
Alfred Adler, p. 83

I don't find it strange that the McD's adopted their grandchildren. We don't know exactly what the situation was or how severe the neglect may have been. I can tell you I have read about cases here at WS that would break your heart. Since the Aunt is family she knows all the details involved, I can imagine it would be hard to make strangers understand that situation.

Their daughter, whom Glenda McDaniel says battled a crack-cocaine problem -- which led to a number of arrests -- couldn’t take care of her children, and that’s why she and her husband took them in. Now the family faces the accusations against Stephen. It has weighed on the children.

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/08/07/1657322_p2/man-on-the-street-how-fledgling.html#ixzz1VE2H8iJw

I think it is wonderful that they adopted those children. It is pretty sad, yet interesting that they have a crack addict daughter who has been in and out of jail and a son in jail charged with Murder.

I wouldn't say the Aunt's word is really reliable.

I'm curious about this statement, Angel. I think McD suffers from intensely inferior feelings and any exaggerated displays of superiority are a defensive technique to hide them. So, if you mean McD learned from his father to compensate for his anxiety through expressions of self-importance, then I'm inclined to agree with you. If you're saying that one or both hold a genuine superiority complex, one that isn't borne from an underlying inferiority complex, then I'm inclined to respectfully disagree.
The Science of Living
Alfred Adler, p. 83

about what I bolded in your post above:

Glad you posted this. This is the way I have also tended to view SM. And could very well be the same with his father, though I hesitate to try to read too much into statements posted once on one web page.

I do think, though, that whatever (maybe shaky) self-esteem Stephen has had may have been very much bound up with his intellect/educational achievements, since those are areas he seems to have done rather well in. Which brings me to something I've been wondering about: How much do we know about what Stephen's plans for the immediate future were? Of course there was the upcoming bar exam, and then, in this article...

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/15/1632018/mom-asked-mcdaniel-if-relationship.html#ixzz1S90zzBIe

...I found this: (quote) "He hoped to get a job as a prosecutor, and he was pursuing job opportunities, his mother said in a phone interview Thursday."

Do we know anything beyond this? Was he planning to leave Macon or stay ... perhaps even at Barristers Hall? (Was his lease also about to end -- seems like I had gathered so, but can't find the statements to back this.)

I think part of what may have led to any decompensation --and it could have been toward uninhibiting him toward already-present murderous impulses or could be psychotic or disassociative, IMO -- may have been not just the prospect of "losing" Lauren, but also or instead the prospect of the time of academia ending and the "real world" looming. Seems like there have been some comments here and there (don't have the examples right at hand) that Stephen seemed to some to have "changed" somewhat recently.

I've been sick for a couple of days and haven't felt up to posting, but I have tried a couple of times to read through the accumulating posts so that I wouldn't be totally behind the times here. There have been some interesting topics and insightful comments. (Also, I see, a spate of new verifications! Whew, talk about blows to the self-esteem!! lol I better get expertly proficient at something really fast...!!)

This might have been discussed earlier so I apologize if I'm bringing it up again. I have really wondered if SMcD has Schizophrenia. We can all agree much of his behavior points to some type of mental illness and imo he displays symptoms of schizophrenia. Combine that with smoking pot (if he did), alchohol (if he did), and other drugs (if he did any) and add in violent video games and you have a bomb ready to explode.

Home > Diseases and Conditions > SchizophreniaSchizophrenia
Childhood-onset schizophrenia
Last reviewed: February 7, 2010.

Schizophrenia is a complex mental disorder that makes it difficult to:

•Tell the difference between real and unreal experiences

•Think logically

•Have normal emotional responses,

•Behave normally in social situations

Causes, incidence, and risk factors
Schizophrenia is a complex illness. Mental health experts are not sure what causes it. However, genetic factors appear to play a role.

•Certain environmental events may trigger schizophrenia in people who are genetically at risk for it.

•You are more likely to develop schizophrenia if you have a family member with the disease.

Schizophrenia affects both men and women equally. It usually begins in the teen years or young adulthood, but may begin later in life. It tends to begin later in women, and is more mild.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001925/

This might have been discussed earlier so I apologize if I'm bringing it up again. I have really wondered if SMcD has Schizophrenia. We can all agree much of his behavior points to some type of mental illness and imo he displays symptoms of schizophrenia. Combine that with smoking pot (if he did), alchohol (if he did), and other drugs (if he did any) and add in violent video games and you have a bomb ready to explode.

I am not sure about the schizophrenia diagnosis. He is a little late in age for the normal start, and if he had had a full psychotic break, we would still be seeing it. And most people with schizophrenia are not violent, except to themselves.
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/index.shtml
Are people with schizophrenia violent?
People with schizophrenia are not usually violent. In fact, most violent crimes are not committed by people with schizophrenia. However, some symptoms are associated with violence, such as delusions of persecution. Substance abuse may also increase the chance a person will become violent. If a person with schizophrenia becomes violent, the violence is usually directed at family members and tends to take place at home.
The risk of violence among people with schizophrenia is small. But people with the illness attempt suicide much more often than others. About 10 percent (especially young adult males) die by suicide. It is hard to predict which people with schizophrenia are prone to suicide. If you know someone who talks about or attempts suicide, help him or her find professional help right away.
People with schizophrenia are not usually violent.
This is from the symptoms page:
What are the symptoms of schizophrenia?
The symptoms of schizophrenia fall into three broad categories: positive symptoms, negative symptoms, and cognitive symptoms.
Positive symptoms
Positive symptoms are psychotic behaviors not seen in healthy people. People with positive symptoms often "lose touch" with reality. These symptoms can come and go. Sometimes they are severe and at other times hardly noticeable, depending on whether the individual is receiving treatment. They include the following:

Hallucinations are things a person sees, hears, smells, or feels that no one else can see, hear, smell, or feel. "Voices" are the most common type of hallucination in schizophrenia. Many people with the disorder hear voices. The voices may talk to the person about his or her behavior, order the person to do things, or warn the person of danger. Sometimes the voices talk to each other. People with schizophrenia may hear voices for a long time before family and friends notice the problem.
Other types of hallucinations include seeing people or objects that are not there, smelling odors that no one else detects, and feeling things like invisible fingers touching their bodies when no one is near.

Delusions are false beliefs that are not part of the person's culture and do not change. The person believes delusions even after other people prove that the beliefs are not true or logical. People with schizophrenia can have delusions that seem bizarre, such as believing that neighbors can control their behavior with magnetic waves. They may also believe that people on television are directing special messages to them, or that radio stations are broadcasting their thoughts aloud to others. Sometimes they believe they are someone else, such as a famous historical figure. They may have paranoid delusions and believe that others are trying to harm them, such as by cheating, harassing, poisoning, spying on, or plotting against them or the people they care about. These beliefs are called "delusions of persecution."

Thought disorders are unusual or dysfunctional ways of thinking. One form of thought disorder is called "disorganized thinking." This is when a person has trouble organizing his or her thoughts or connecting them logically. They may talk in a garbled way that is hard to understand. Another form is called "thought blocking." This is when a person stops speaking abruptly in the middle of a thought. When asked why he or she stopped talking, the person may say that it felt as if the thought had been taken out of his or her head. Finally, a person with a thought disorder might make up meaningless words, or "neologisms."

Movement disorders may appear as agitated body movements. A person with a movement disorder may repeat certain motions over and over. In the other extreme, a person may become catatonic. Catatonia is a state in which a person does not move and does not respond to others. Catatonia is rare today, but it was more common when treatment for schizophrenia was not available.

"Voices" are the most common type of hallucination in schizophrenia.

Negative symptoms
Negative symptoms are associated with disruptions to normal emotions and behaviors. These symptoms are harder to recognize as part of the disorder and can be mistaken for depression or other conditions. These symptoms include the following:

"Flat affect" (a person's face does not move or he or she talks in a dull or monotonous voice)
Lack of pleasure in everyday life
Lack of ability to begin and sustain planned activities
Speaking little, even when forced to interact.

People with negative symptoms need help with everyday tasks. They often neglect basic personal hygiene. This may make them seem lazy or unwilling to help themselves, but the problems are symptoms caused by the schizophrenia.

Cognitive symptoms
Cognitive symptoms are subtle. Like negative symptoms, cognitive symptoms may be difficult to recognize as part of the disorder. Often, they are detected only when other tests are performed. Cognitive symptoms include the following:

Poor "executive functioning" (the ability to understand information and use it to make decisions)
Trouble focusing or paying attention
Problems with "working memory" (the ability to use information immediately after learning it).

Cognitive symptoms often make it hard to lead a normal life and earn a living. They can cause great emotional distress.

More at the link.

While some people with schizophrenia can be successful, those people have intense treatment, including medications and mostly likely daily help. The majority cannot function for more than short periods of time with any degree of success. The thoughts and paranoia crosses over to a point where they are unable to even function minimally, such as buying groceries, or going to work, or doing anything other than listening to the voices.

I work with schizophrenics daily. I have ran multiple groups for people with schizophrenia. I could see the decompensation happening in most of them. Getting them somewhere to get their meds stabilized and keep them safe was most important. Those who had any violent episodes were trying to protect themselves, or get themselves killed by officers. Examples include a man shooting at a train because he thought men were on top of it trying to kill him. And another who went into a bank with a knife and begged police to kill him so the voices would stop.

PsychoMom,

I'm not sure whether you saw my question yesterday so I'm going to ask it again (since I'm pretty curious).

In determining whether a person is socially isolated or a "loner" in a disordered sense, would interaction with one's family of origin be considered? Do socially isolated people tend to withdraw from family as well?

PsychoMom,

I'm not sure whether you saw my question yesterday so I'm going to ask it again (since I'm pretty curious).

In determining whether a person is socially isolated or a "loner" in a disordered sense, would interaction with one's family of origin be considered? Do socially isolated people tend to withdraw from family as well?

Most do. When someone withdraws socially, they tend to stop as much interacting as possible. That includes family.

In order to be considered a "loner," you have to determine this person's style. Not everyone is a social butterfly. Some would consider many of us 'loners' because we are on the internet chatting away. Others would consider that a social outlet. Some would think of a 'loner' as someone who does not sit at the crowded lunch table with all their peers. However, they do not know this person has their own social group that meets up weekly to play a board game or go out for pizza and bowling. Some might say their neighbor is a 'loner' because they haven't really met them and the family didn't come to the block party. In reality, the neighbor may think the original neighbor is a busybody and wants to be left alone. They may have missed the block party because their church had revival that week, and they are in the choir. The definition of "loner" depends on each person's perception.

The reason I say 'most' withdraw from everyone is because there are always exceptions, but they are rare. One example I have is a patient with selective mutism. She would not interact with anyone verbally, and rarely in any other way, except at home. The family relayed she talked and laughed and interacted fully at home with her immediate family. However, outside the home, nothing. Led to some interesting counseling sessions! I learned to be very creative in getting her to communicate with me.

However, as I worked with her, I discovered she was exhibiting other behaviors which had been overlooked by others. Most of her counselors gave up after two or three sessions. I stuck with it for about a year before the office had me change locations. I lost touch with her after that until I ran into her about 2 years later out in public. She ran up and hugged me. Still no talking, but that was a big thing! What I discovered was autism behaviors. I discussed this with her psychiatrist, and she followed up with some testing. The psychiatrist confirmed the diagnosis based on her further testing. We changed our approach based on the new diagnosis, and I think that may have led to the improvements we did see.

There are some conflicting indications about whether Georgia will ultimately be charging McDaniel with malice murder or felony murder. Currently, both options remain a possibility, but indications are that felony murder is being heavily considered as the eventual charge. This seems slightly incongruous, in that Lauren's murder appears, by all accounts, to be an intentional and premeditated act, making it a malice murder rather than a felony murder.

But there is one obvious explanation for why prosecutors are leaning towards the felony murder charge: in Georgia, it can be easier to obtain the death penalty against a first-time offender where the charge is one of felony murder rather than one of malice murder.

This is because premeditated murder, on its own, cannot result in imposition of the death penalty. Although the death penalty is available for either malice murder, or for felony murder where there is also malice, you need something additional to get the death penalty for malice murders, whereas you do not for (most) felony murders.

Under a threshold scheme, like Georgia has, the death penalty is an available punishment for a capital crime only where one of eleven aggravating circumstances are met. See Ga. Code Ann. § 17-10-30(b). This means that, to impose capital punishment, the jury must find that the accused committed the murder and that one of the eleven enumerated circumstances exist. Both of these parts must be established beyond a reasonable doubt. However, many of the eleven aggravating factors concern offenders with prior records. So Georgia's threshold scheme means that, for someone who has never been charged with a crime before, felony murder can be more likely to result in capital punishment, whereas for a repeat offender, the aggravating element is automatically met.

Of the eleven aggravating circumstances, only two are potentially applicable to McDaniel -- (b)(2) and (b)(7). The remaining nine either involve defendants with prior convictions or circumstances not present here. So for the death penalty to apply to McDaniel, one of following two factors must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt:

(b)(2): The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was committed while the offender was engaged in the commission of another capital felony or aggravated battery, or the offense of murder was committed while the offender was engaged in the commission of burglary or arson in the first degree; [or]

(b)(7): The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible, or inhuman in that it involved torture, depravity of mind, or an aggravated battery to the victim[.]​

It is (b)(2) where the felony murder charge comes in. With felony murder, you essentially get to "double-count" the aggravating factor -- first, the felony is found to be part of the underlying murder charge, and second, the felony is the aggravating circumstance warranting the death penalty.

If the state's case is that McDaniel planned to kill Lauren, and then carried out his plan and killed her, the prosecution will have a more difficult time getting capital punishment under (b)(2). If instead the state's case is that McDaniel broke into Lauren's apartment (itself a burglary, as it's a breaking into a dwelling, with whatever felony intent the prosecutors want to try for), and then subsequent to the break in Lauren was somehow killed, then the death penalty becomes automatically available.

True, in either case, the prosecutor will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a felony occurred. But from the perspective of the jury, you can see why the latter is the more preferable. If a jury is asked only to find McDaniel guilty of felony murder, then you can bet your pants that the jury is going to make sure someone like McDaniel gets convicted, and they will go ahead and find that he was also committing a burglary at the time, if that's what is needed and if there is evidence backing it up. If instead, the jury is only asked to find McDaniel guilty of premeditated murder, and then they are later asked to go back and find if he also committed another crime, things get more chancy. The jury might well decide that even if the murder was beyond a reasonable doubt, is there really sufficient evidence to determine beyond reasonable doubt that McDaniel also happened to plan to commit this other crime at the same time? Or did he only probably commit this other crime? Given that he viciously murdered her, who cares if he also committed a burglary while doing it?

Of course, prosecutors won't necessarily need the felony murder hook to get the death penalty for McDaniel at all -- because (b)(7) would already authorize it. Showing that the second factor was present in McDaniel's crime -- depravity of mind -- will be easier in this case than it will in most others, given the post-mortem mutilation. Jury instructions for “depravity of mind” have been given as follows:

[D]epravity of mind is a reflection of an utterly corrupt, perverted or immoral state of mind. In determining whether or not the offense of murder in this case involved depravity of mind on the part of the defendant, you may consider the age and physical characteristics of the victim and you may consider the actions of the defendant prior to and after the commission of the murder. In order to find that the offense of murder involved depravity of mind, you must find that the defendant, as the result of his utter corruption, perversion or immorality, committed aggravated battery or torture upon a living person, or subjected the body of a deceased victim to mutilation, or serious disfigurement or sexual abuse. West v. State, 252 Ga. 156, 161, (appendix) 313 S.E.2d 67 (1984)

Thus, the dismemberment of Lauren's body alone could be, but is not necessarily, sufficient to get the death penalty, because "the offense of murder" does not terminate at the instant of death, and events that happen afterward can be considered in determining whether aggravating factors are present. See Conklin v. State, 254 Ga. 558, 565, 331 S.E.2d 532, 539 (1985) (finding that complete dismemberment of the body and disposal in a dumpster was sufficient to find that murder was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible or inhuman, justifying imposition of death penalty).

So the prosecutors can get capital punishment against McDaniel with or without the felony murder charge. However, given that with felony murder you could also still get the aggravating charge under (b)(7), the prosecutors may have decided that they can get a more solid case with felony murder -- after all, if you go in to trial trying to prove two separate aggravating factors, the odds that the jury will come back with a verdict finding at least one of them was present go up. And you only need one to get the death penalty, doesn't matter which one it ends up being.

I concur Hyrax, I firmly believe you have nailed it!

As someone currently pursuing a Ph.D, I can tell you that some of the figures you quoted are best possible ones. Most Ph.Ds today are not starting out at 50K plus at a university and making 80K+ quickly. It is hard to get a job at all especially with a limited degree like theology (mine is English so praying I will be able to find something) and when you do get a job it often isn't one of the prize ones-rather an adjunct or even "lecturer" type job that would pay maybe 30K a year, depending. It is rough out there especially if you don't do everything correctly or get connections (also praying my connections work out!).
So, it may be a red flag that he is a Ph.D turned painter, but I definitely know a lot of Ph.Ds who loved what they did, but just made more money being a mechanic or something.

Now excuse me while I go have a drink.

As someone currently pursuing a Ph.D, I can tell you that some of the figures you quoted are best possible ones. Most Ph.Ds today are not starting out at 50K plus at a university and making 80K+ quickly. It is hard to get a job at all especially with a limited degree like theology (mine is English so praying I will be able to find something) and when you do get a job it often isn't one of the prize ones-rather an adjunct or even "lecturer" type job that would pay maybe 30K a year, depending. It is rough out there especially if you don't do everything correctly or get connections (also praying my connections work out!).
So, it may be a red flag that he is a Ph.D turned painter, but I definitely know a lot of Ph.Ds who loved what they did, but just made more money being a mechanic or something.

Now excuse me while I go have a drink.
Amen! My college LIED about how much I would make starting out. Now, I am happy I can find a job in my field that includes benefits. Most of them don't.

about what I bolded in your post above:

Glad you posted this. This is the way I have also tended to view SM. And could very well be the same with his father, though I hesitate to try to read too much into statements posted once on one web page.

I do think, though, that whatever (maybe shaky) self-esteem Stephen has had may have been very much bound up with his intellect/educational achievements, since those are areas he seems to have done rather well in. Which brings me to something I've been wondering about: How much do we know about what Stephen's plans for the immediate future were? Of course there was the upcoming bar exam, and then, in this article...

link: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/15/1632018/mom-asked-mcdaniel-if-relationship.html#ixzz1S90zzBIe

...I found this: (quote) "He hoped to get a job as a prosecutor, and he was pursuing job opportunities, his mother said in a phone interview Thursday."

Do we know anything beyond this? Was he planning to leave Macon or stay ... perhaps even at Barristers Hall? (Was his lease also about to end -- seems like I had gathered so, but can't find the statements to back this.)

I think part of what may have led to any decompensation --and it could have been toward uninhibiting him toward already-present murderous impulses or could be psychotic or disassociative, IMO -- may have been not just the prospect of "losing" Lauren, but also or instead the prospect of the time of academia ending and the "real world" looming. Seems like there have been some comments here and there (don't have the examples right at hand) that Stephen seemed to some to have "changed" somewhat recently.

I've been sick for a couple of days and haven't felt up to posting, but I have tried a couple of times to read through the accumulating posts so that I wouldn't be totally behind the times here. There have been some interesting topics and insightful comments. (Also, I see, a spate of new verifications! Whew, talk about blows to the self-esteem!! lol I better get expertly proficient at something really fast...!!)

I'm glad you're feeling better. :)

I agree the looming bar exam and departure from academic life and entrance into the real world presented challenges significant enough to cause high levels of stress. Those are troublesome prospects for anyone, but particularly for someone with low self-esteem. A person not equipped to deal with life's challenges in a positive way will often act out, and we know many violent crimes are precipitated by some negative life event. So if he committed the crime, it's very likely these events were contributing factors. I doubt it was "instead of" though, but rather in addition to, an existing fixation with Lauren that led to her murder.

Amen! My college LIED about how much I would make starting out. Now, I am happy I can find a job in my field that includes benefits. Most of them don't.

Schools ALWAYS quote like...the one person that had some sort of dream trajectory that 99% of us will never see, ha ha. I love everything about what I do and it fulfills me and I don't live extravagantly so I think I will be ok even if all I can ever find is a professor job at a community college or an instructor/lecturer job at a university. I made 25K last year and felt like I was the richest person on the planet after not breaking 12K working as a grad student for years LOL.

Sorry for the off-topicness! I still await this case unfolding. I have a feeling it is going to be a really dramatic one. I am still always hoping they have absolute concrete evidence that will leave none of us doubting the verdict.

“And Stephen, in almost a hypnotized, very flat voice said, ‘They told me I did something bad. They told me I hurt someone.’ For 20 hours they had been trying to pressure and threaten and coerce him into confessing for a murder,”

I have been going over this in my head from different standpoints. Is he prepping Mamma for the truth? Is he prepping himself for the truth?
What is this?

I see some interesting things though. I see a childlike quality and I see a diminishing of the magnitude of the crime.

The crime is much more than just somthing bad...and hurting someone.

Mamma can't get you out of this one, SMcD!

Calling Pyschomom...I want your thoughts if you will give them. :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member